No Fairway Woods?

kevinmdowney

So built a new set, as just started back into game after 17+ years out of it.

Built 14 clubs (already had putter) - so have to remove one for rounds - and have to say that after practicing a month and a few rounds in, I think the 18 utility wins out over 4 wood. I don’t play fairway wood off the tee, so curious if anybody plays sans fairway wood?

-

9 Degree BOM w/ Aldila NVS 65

17 Degree BOM 4 Wood w/ Aldila NVS 65

18, 21 Dynacraft Utility Irons

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons/Wedges

Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

Star Sidewinder Midsize Grips

17076CB2-ACE7-46E4-BD3B-0380835E1218.jpeg

In the bag:

21 Degree Dynacraft Utility Iron

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons & Wedges w/ Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

32” Callaway Divine Line Putter 

I dropped my fairway woods in favor of hybrids last season. No regrets.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

26 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

I dropped my fairway woods in favor of hybrids last season. No regrets.

Question - what is longest-range going into a green with your lowest-lofted hybrid?

My 18 degree utility is 225, but I would hit it if as low as about 210. Depends on where trouble is of course when deciding between the 21 and 18.

I hit that 18 degree 225-250 off the tee, and use it on any par 4 under 350, or where driver length puts me at serious risk “vertically”.

But 4-wood, while longer than that 18, isn’t really any more accurate than my driver (or barely) - so I don’t use off the tee.

Thats why right now I wouldn’t put it in the bag.

Edited by kevinmdowney

In the bag:

I hit my 16 degree hybrid around 225. That might not seem long, but it is compared to the average 72 year old. It's more accurate for me off the tee than my 3 wood was, and far more reliable off the deck. I always hit driver off the tee on fours. I hit around 90% of fairways, so I have no need to be conservative.

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, Billfitz said:

I hit my 16 degree hybrid around 225. That might not seem long, but it is compared to the average 72 year old. It's more accurate for me off the tee than my 3 wood was, and far more reliable off the deck. I always hit driver off the tee on fours. I hit around 90% of fairways, so I have no need to be conservative.

That’s very long. Hope I can do that in 20 years.

In the bag:

My "normal" desert golf bag is a driving iron (16*) in place of my fairway. When I head out to the midwest (northern Michigan for example) I trade the driving iron for a SIM Ti 5 metal turned to lowest on the loft sleeve for great results.  Gets me total yards about the same as the driving iron but since its got a lot less roll out, the carry works. I think a couple factors play into the choice if its an "or" situation:

1) type of fairways and rough 

2) practice with the DI

3) really fitted for the yardage gap (for your confidence)

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

3 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

My "normal" desert golf bag is a driving iron (16*) in place of my fairway. When I head out to the midwest (northern Michigan for example) I trade the driving iron for a SIM Ti 5 metal turned to lowest on the loft sleeve for great results.  Gets me total yards about the same as the driving iron but since its got a lot less roll out, the carry works. I think a couple factors play into the choice if its an "or" situation:

1) type of fairways and rough 

2) practice with the DI

3) really fitted for the yardage gap (for your confidence)

Good stuff evo !

Do you hit that fairway or the driving iron more consistently off the deck? What about off the tee?

In the bag:

I grew up playing only irons and a driver all through high school and most of my 20's.   I finally added a 3 wood back in 2009 maybe when I found a clearance Nike ignite t-60, and eventually added the 5 wood as well.  Honestly I have gone round and round with going back to that concept since I cracked the face on my 3 wood.   I rarely hit the 5 wood,  and I hit the 3 wood mostly off the tee in lieu of my driver, but when my driver is on I default to that.   My old setup was 2 iron down to Lob wedge.  Currently in my Wilson Ci I am 4-G with 3 Kirkland wedges after that.  I just picked up a Callaway Strong 4 wood to carry and ditched the 3 and 5 wood from Nike.   I was debating getting a Utility Iron in place of the 4 wood.  I will see how the summer plays out and how like my current setup, but I don't think there is anything wrong with going Driver, Utility and all irons.   The real question to ask is which club will you use more, the 3 wood or the Utility?  For me the wedges get way more use so I right now I split the difference with my 3 and 5 wood and went 4.  

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver: Nike Sasquatch 460 9* w/ ProForce V2 72gr stiff tipped 3/4"

Fairway: Calloway 2017 Steelhead XR Strong 4 wood

Irons: Wilson Staff Ci chrome 4-GW stiff

Wedges: Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Wilson Staff Balance Fit Kirk Currie III

I am another non-fairway-wood player. I have a driver, 16 degree utility iron, 3 iron, 4 iron, etc.

I have a bit more speed than most people and around my home course, where I play 90% of my golf, I just don't need long fairway wood distance. I barely use the utility iron as it is. All longer tee shots are driver or 3/4 iron, shorter tee shots are anything from a 7 iron to a gap wedge. Even the longer par 5's are driver then mid iron at their longest.

Every time I think of adding a fairway wood I find myself wondering where I'd actually use it. I'd need a 7 wood or something - that might get a bit of use when I play away from home - and I'd ditch the utility.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

Good stuff everyone - was curious if anybody else out there playing with no fairways.

For me, 4-wood just doesn’t get use, as I hit driver pretty straight. And if I bump down, 18 degree utility is Pretty much laser-accurate off tee - 4-wood barely better than driver in terms of accuracy.

Hit 18 degree 225-250 off tee. Not long, but long enough I think.

I don’t play much - again, just started practicing seriously after 17 years away from game. But when I do play, I play with mid to high handicappers on public courses or in scrambles. Have a group of mid / senior Am guys that I’ve started to play with as well. They are mostly scratch to 5 or so hdcp range.

With mid to high handicap guys, we are playing 6,000 to 6,500 typically. With the better players, more like 6,500 to 7,000. 

With the latter, hit driver quite a bit, but with former it’s 18 degree a lot - with a few drivers here and there.

Edited by kevinmdowney

In the bag:

I like my UW so much that I've been thinking about dropping the 3 wood and going 17/21 with the UW.  I almost rarely ever use the 3 wood off the ground so it's a bit of a one trick pony.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I haven't done it but a season pre-COVID I played with a young assistant pro who getting ready for his PGA certification Playing Ability Test. Our course was hosting the upcoming PAT, and the pro shop paired me with him so I could serve as "tour guide" for the course.

He played driver, 2H and 4H, and picked up at 4i. Said he always had trouble with fairway woods, and could carry his 2H to within about 30 yards of driver carry.

The 2H was his all-occasions club: tee shots on tight holes, a chokedown club on a really long par 3, and approach club for Par 5 holes. He had the range to get home in two on two shorter par 5s.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

4 hours ago, kevinmdowney said:

Good stuff evo !

Do you hit that fairway or the driving iron more consistently off the deck? What about off the tee?

Both off the tee primarily so both easy. Off the deck if I get a green light lie/stance/distance either works perfectly. I will say the 3iron has to be a high cut to have a chance to hold a green if I land it on the putting surface and even then it’s back fringe. The 5 metal flies so high it is a one hop and stop like a 7 iron. I very rarely try to fly a green with the 3iron. Usually I like it if the number allows for me to land it 10 yards short and then it rolls on. 

Hope that helps. Really they are both second options when driver is too much off the tee. 

Edited by evoviiiyou
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Both off the tee primarily so both easy. Off the deck if I get a green light lie/stance/distance either works perfectly. I will say the 3iron has to be a high cut to have a chance to hold a green if I land it on the putting surface and even then it’s back fringe. The 5 metal flies so high it is a one hop and stop like a 7 iron. I very rarely try to fly a green with the 3iron. Usually I like it if the number allows for me to land it 10 yards short and then it rolls on. 

Hope that helps. Really they are both second options when driver is too much off the tee. 

Makes sense. For me, the 18 utility very accurate, so would use off the tee a lot more. I suppose going after green would be comparable to 7 wood - and the 7 wood will go higher of course. Problem is accuracy for me never good enough with fairway woods. 

I can hit my driver almost as accurate as 4-wood. Not quite the same, but I’ve never been laser accurate with fairway woods.

In the bag:

59 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

I haven't done it but a season pre-COVID I played with a young assistant pro who getting ready for his PGA certification Playing Ability Test. Our course was hosting the upcoming PAT, and the pro shop paired me with him so I could serve as "tour guide" for the course.

He played driver, 2H and 4H, and picked up at 4i. Said he always had trouble with fairway woods, and could carry his 2H to within about 30 yards of driver carry.

The 2H was his all-occasions club: tee shots on tight holes, a chokedown club on a really long par 3, and approach club for Par 5 holes. He had the range to get home in two on two shorter par 5s.

Makes sense to me. 

In the bag:

17 minutes ago, kevinmdowney said:

Makes sense. For me, the 18 utility very accurate, so would use off the tee a lot more. I suppose going after green would be comparable to 7 wood - and the 7 wood will go higher of course. Problem is accuracy for me never good enough with fairway woods. 

I can hit my driver almost as accurate as 4-wood. Not quite the same, but I’ve never been laser accurate with fairway woods.

Sounds like if you simplify and stick with what gives you the most confidence (driving iron) you will have more fun than that occasional off the grid trouble fairway shot. That’s why the fairway only sees the light of day on those parkland wet type courses that give me no run with the DI. 

• Like 1

I go Driver, Mini-Driver (9* Ping Tisi Tec with 42" shaft), 18* DI, 4-W, GW/SW/LW, Putter.  Could honestly probably drop either Driver, Mini-Driver, GW or LW and not notice any noticeable change in index.  Might even improve if I just committed to shots instead of overthinking what shot to try with different clubs?  Heck, I could probably drop one of the drivers and the DI/GW/LW and be down to 10 clubs and not see a noticable difference, but why?

• Like 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

22 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Sounds like if you simplify and stick with what gives you the most confidence (driving iron) you will have more fun than that occasional off the grid trouble fairway shot. That’s why the fairway only sees the light of day on those parkland wet type courses that give me no run with the DI. 

Yes exactly, and why 4-wood stays in car at this point.

-

18, 21 Dynacraft Utility Irons

• Like 1

In the bag:

On 7/3/2022 at 6:54 PM, MountainKing said:

I like my UW so much that I've been thinking about dropping the 3 wood and going 17/21 with the UW.  I almost rarely ever use the 3 wood off the ground so it's a bit of a one trick pony.  

I rarely carry a 3W and do not own any other woods/metals in the traditional sense.  My Apex UW 17* removed my 3W from the bag last November.  I hit this from the tee or deck. I just ordered an Apex UW 21* to remove the 20* hybrid or to provide more options. 

I generally only carry 13 clubs, but can add in a long iron (5 iron) or 3W if the course/conditions dictates. 5 iron is usually for a longer par 3 and 3W for odd landing zones from the tee. Also, this provided room to add an extra gap wedge at the bottom of the bag (set pw, 48, 52 & 56). I carry an Epic Speed 9* driver, Apex UW 17*, Epic Flash 20/23* hybrids into my 6 iron as of today. This covers me generally from tee to green for longer clubs. I generally play courses that are 6500-6800 yards in length. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

• 1 month later...

For the last three years I went driver then 17* 20 * hybrids, no fairways. Prior to that always carried some combination of 3,4,5, or 7 woods but lost my ability to hit them consistently…could not do anything with them either from the tee or off the deck. Tried out some hybrids and voilà problem was solved. I hit them basically the same distance as the corresponding wood and with much better accuracy. I recently started hooking my 17* BADLY! Put an old 3W back in the bag. In the last two weeks my 20* developed the same nasty case of the hooks and it is now being replaced by an old 7W. The woods are currently the clubs that are hitting the ball where I’m intending it to go. Very weird to me as the period using only hybrids and no fairways was both the best and most consistent I’ve ever played and I found the set up very helpful in achieving that. Now it seems to be the exact opposite and I’m thankful I had the woods in the closet to sub in for the hybrids. Very weird but such is golf.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I do have a 3 wood in the bag, but for a while I didn't really need it, now that I've gotten a little better and a little longer I need it for the tee on the 9th hole of my home course. I really get ahold of driver and I'm in the parking lot. That being said, I do have to manufacture shots for it so I could probably leave it out and not really notice any difference.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

KDM,

I forgot about tour pro Charlie Beljan. A decade ago, he carried a driver, a putter, and... all irons and wedges!

Didn't even need hybrids.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I gave it a shot a few years ago when I reshafted a couple of Adams Super LS 15* and 17* heads.  15* went too low and 17* just wasn't longer than a 3/4 wood that I would carry, while losing trajectory into greens.

15* hybrid would carry about 10y less than 3w, but would roll out more.  But it was more of a niche club as total distance in wetter conditions would suffer on less than ideal strikes, where as the added trajectory/flight of the 3w could mask some of that.

Ultimately the experiment lasted 1 range sessions and haven't bothered to try it again.  Maybe with a different shaft in the 17* head I still have, but both my Sim Ti 14* and TS2 4wd are very stable and capable clubs for that slot in the bag.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

I sucked with many a 3W/4W/5W for many years and didn't carry an FW, just a 3H and 4H ( different shafts for different ball flights ).  I then found a very good fit with my TSi2 15* FW and it has proven quite reliable over the last 2 seasons.  However I just sold it while there was good $$$ demand for it, and I plan to get a new TSR2 15* in the off-season.

My last couple of rounds have been with only my TSi2 21* hybrid.  I honestly do not miss my 3W, and doubt that not having it will cost me strokes on the courses I play regularly.   But I'll get a TSR2 FW anyway, cuz that's what we WRX'ers do !

Also this year, I removed my 24* hybrid and my SW, so the bag is now 11 clubs.

It is quite liberating to have thinned the herd, and removes any guesswork for what club to hit. 👍

• Like 2

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

22 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

KDM,

I forgot about tour pro Charlie Beljan. A decade ago, he carried a driver, a putter, and... all irons and wedges!

Didn't even need hybrids.

He carried three utility irons but he could hit his 2 iron 280 yards.

https://www.golfwrx.com/83193/charlie-beljan-witb/

Edited by azgreg
  • Like 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Edit - 18 and 21 utilities are just too close together, and after measuring, the 21 is actually 20 degrees.

So carrying 4-wood because I have the spot: 

21 Dynacraft Utility Iron

In the bag: