LowAndLeft32

17 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

9 hcp 

irons are the worst part of game 

short irons are better than long

low ball hitter

miss is thin or short 

played recently:

Nike Vr Pro 2 blades blades s300 lowest scores everyone made fun of me for playing older Nike blades  because im Not good 

Mizzy MP4 with kbs 120. I like these but long irons were tough and convinced myself not good enough for blades.

Srixon 785 modus 105 hit to low and couldn’t hold greens

ping i500 faces caved in 

2019 t100 with modus 105 very inconsistent maybe shaft was too ilght? But in an 120 x100 shaft in the 7 iron as trial and hit it better. But fitter said I didn’t have swing soles for x100s 

Proto concept C03 Oban 115 soft x spent too much to hit them not very good 

Some I’m all over the place. 

I have a custom set of nike forged combo from 2010…. Great irons. I have tried out 20 different sets of irons this spring…. Have lots of personal experience here. 

seems like you hit stable shafts best, but need more height. Check out the Nippon Modus 130 Stiff shafts. Just trust me on this one… can go into more detail, but I think you will love them. Have gamed the S300, X100 and KBS….. these should work well. give you that stability, but more height while keeping spin under control. 

I think the project X IO 110 Stiff will work too..

I believe you know if an iron works for you in the first few swings…. No break in required. 

if you did  not get along with the 2019 T100, the 2021 are not going to change that.  Skip these. 

srixion V sole is terrible for a thin miss. Skip the ZX7 or any other V sole Srixion. My miss is thin and I have a shallow AoA. Had the same problem with the ZX7 as you did with the 785.

Dont try the NL PF1/2 irons. The higher COG brings ball flight down. The 623CB has a lower COG and wider soles. Will help more with a higher ball flight. You can get a custom sample from NL. They can do it with the PX IO shaft too if you want to try it.

I think you may really like the Mizzuno 225 setup. The long irons are hollow, and I hate Hollow irons, but these are the best looking and feeling players distance set ever made. Even retain a lot of that traditional Mizuno feel… The way they flow the long irons and short irons is amazing. They won best player distance iron with my golf spy. If long irons are a struggle, but you can handle short irons …. This is a great setup. The top line of the short irons was as thin as my MP221….. thinner than my MP223. Still have the 225, but sold the 223 and 221. Very easy to game clubs. the project X IO stock shaft in 110S May work for you too. A custom order would take months…if the shaft doesn’t work… get some 130 pulls off here and swap. Try the 110 first. 

seems like you maybe able to game blades more than you think….

I would try the Miura MC- 501. Made specifically for thin strikers. Most forgiving blades I have ever hit. They call them a muscle cavity. I actually play these in the modus 130 stiff set up. it is so easy to get the long irons in the air…. I even game the 3 iron. Miura’s feel unreal. Unlike anything else out there. You can try the TC-201 as well,  but there has been some criticism towards feel and I notice lots or WRX’s selling 201 to keep their 501. 

X-Forged CB ‘21 should be on your list too. Again, the PX IO shaft is stock and may work. Really forgiving irons and get the ball in the air. The only thing is the very pronounced offset in the short irons…. It is the single biggest negative feedback from users … but insane soft feel. they make great XF utility irons for the 4-3-2 iron to help the long…. Easy blend. 

Although I don’t get along with TM, check out the 770. The 790 a known to be very hot and notorious for fliers. 

Poke around SUB70 too. No personal experience, but good feedback on the new 659 CB-TC-MB line…. Supposedly you can create the ultimate flow set with these. They custom build you set too, like New Level. 

These should be a great stating point for you….lots of variety here. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ZX5/ZX7 combo and call it a day. I go ZX5 in 4/5 iron and 6-PW in ZX7. Best irons I've ever owned. 

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

8 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I have a custom set of nine forged combo from 2010…. Great irons. I have tried out 20 different sets of irons this spring…. Have lots of personal experience here. 

seems like you hit stable shafts best, but need more height. Check out the Nippon Modus 130 Stiff shafts. Just trust me on this one… can go into more detail, but I think you will love them. Have gamed the S300, X100 and KBS….. these should work well. give you that stability, but more height while keeping spin under control. 

I believe you know if an iron works for you in the first few swings…. No break in required. 

if you did  not get along with the 2019 T100, the 2021 are not going to change that.  Skip these. 

srixion V sole is terrible for a thin miss. Skip the ZX7 or any other V sole Srixion. My miss is thin and I have a shallow AoA. Had the same problem with the ZX7 as you did with the 785.

Dont try the NL PF1/2 irons. The higher COG brings ball flight down. The 623CB has a lower COG and wider soles. Will help more with a higher ball flight. You can get a custom sample from NL. They can do it with the PX IO shaft too if you want to try it.

I think you may really like the Mizzuno 225 setup. The long irons are hollow, and I hate Hollow irons, but these are the best looking and feeling players distance set ever made. Even retain a lot of that traditional Mizuno feel… The way they flow the long irons and short irons is amazing. They won best player distance iron with my golf spy. If long irons are a struggle, but you can handle short irons …. This is a great setup. The top line of the short irons was as thin as my MP221….. thinner than my MP223. Still have the 225, but sold the 223 and 221. Very easy to game clubs. the project X IO stock shaft in 110S May work for you too. A custom order would take months…if the shaft doesn’t work… get some 130 pulls off here and swap. Try the 110 first. 

I would try the Miura MC- 501. Made specifically for thin strikers. Most forgiving blades I have ever hit. They call them a muscle cavity. I actually play these in the modus 130 stiff set up. it is so easy to get the long irons in the air…. I even game the 3 iron. Miura’s feel unreal. Unlike anything else out there. You can try the TC-201 as well,  but there has been some criticism towards feel and I notice lots or WRX’s selling 201 to keep their 501. 

X-Forged CB ‘21 should be on your list too. Again, the PX IO shaft is stock and may work. Really forgiving irons and get the ball in the air. The only thing is the very pronounced offset in the short irons…. It is the single biggest negative feedback from users … but insane soft feel. they make great XF utility irons for the 4-3-2 iron to help the long…. Easy blend. 

Although I don’t get along with TM, check out the 770. The 790 a known to be very hot and notorious for fliers. 

Poke around SUB70 too. No personal experience, but good feedback on the new 659 CB-TC-MB line…. Supposedly you can create the ultimate flow set with these. They custom build you set too, like New Level. 

Wow. Thanks for the fantastic detail. These types of responses make this forum great. Looks like I have some sets to check out. TY

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

My Frankenstein set (see signature below) has a lot of these clubs in it. I agree with the majority here that are recommending the T-100. The combination of feel and forgiveness is unbeatable IMO. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

13 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I have a custom set of nike forged combo from 2010…. Great irons. I have tried out 20 different sets of irons this spring…. Have lots of personal experience here. 

Is there a reason why you don’t game the 225s? Thx 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

... There are quite a few and already mentioned in this thread and all good choices. I played the T100S irons for about 6 months and thought they would be in my bag for years but made the "mistake" of hitting some Cobra MIM irons. The feel is every bit or better than any MB I have hit. Softest feeling irons I have played and that includes Z101's and MP33's. They can pull off any shot I can play. Trajectory control is excellent. And for a Players Iron, they are amazingly forgiving.                       

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

52 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Is there a reason why you don’t game the 225s? Thx 

I keep an emergency bag at my club…. The 225 are in that bag. Sometimes things break and I need a reliable set ready to go. These also get played from time to time when I don’t have my regular bag on me. I do play them as my primary set in colder weather as well when I need more help with distance. This is saying a lot considering I have something like 15 sets of irons in my possession.  

I game the PF2 set because that shaft and head combination is just a very accurate set for my swing and how I look to play my irons. The PF2 are a much more demanding club across the set than the 225 though. I would have no problem gaming the 225 in competition though. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, GHIN n Juice said:

P770.  These are the most “blade” looking of the players distance irons with acceptable forgiveness.  The T100 has that gawd awful line on the back that makes them look cheap.

Except the ‘20 P770 feel like absolute crap, and extremely clicky.

they do perform well

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Looking that that unicorn set of irons. I want all the benefits of a blades: looks, feel, consistency, but also forgiveness and distance found in the game improvement. What iron am I looking for? 

But why distance?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

On 7/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, LowAndLeft32 said:

9 hcp 

irons are the worst part of game 

short irons are better than long

low ball hitter

miss is thin or short 

played recently:

Nike Vr Pro 2 blades blades s300 lowest scores everyone made fun of me for playing older Nike blades  because im Not good 

Mizzy MP4 with kbs 120. I like these but long irons were tough and convinced myself not good enough for blades.

Srixon 785 modus 105 hit to low and couldn’t hold greens

ping i500 faces caved in 

2019 t100 with modus 105 very inconsistent maybe shaft was too ilght? But in an 120 x100 shaft in the 7 iron as trial and hit it better. But fitter said I didn’t have swing soles for x100s 

Proto concept C03 Oban 115 soft x spent too much to hit them not very good 

Some I’m all over the place. 

As you said you are all over the place. I would recommend figuring out what shaft works best for you and than decide on the iron head. Time in the simulator is a good place to start but time on the course to understand how each shaft performs in the real world is very important.

There are lots of great options out there right now for irons that look like blades/players irons but offer different levels of forgiveness. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, LowAndLeft32 said:

Looking that that unicorn set of irons. I want all the benefits of a blades: looks, feel, consistency, but also forgiveness and distance found in the game improvement. What iron am I looking for? 

If distance isn't a requirement, J40DPC's, if the bounce angles allowed me to bend strong, i would still have them.

• Like 2

No love for the Ping Blueprints in here?  Great looking, blade like club, with surprising forgiveness.... another one on the radar now.

• Like 3

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

9 hours ago, spring7 said:

If distance isn't a requirement, J40DPC's, if the bounce angles allowed me to bend strong, i would still have them.

Have a set of these. I believe these are the unicorn the OP is looking for.

But just to hard to come by in good condition now. 

Never letting mine go. I have a few vintage sets like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Have a set of these. I believe these are the unicorn the OP is looking for.

But just to hard to come by in good condition now. 

Never letting mine go. I have a few vintage sets like this. 

I recently bought a set and sold them to a friend. I’m still kicking myself as I love Bridgestone irons.

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
  • Like 1

A forged cavity back of your choice will do for all requirements except 'distance' - if anyone asks, just lie and say you're hitting an 8 when you've got a 7 in your hand.

so Epon AF-302 4-Pw with Stiff NS Modus 3 shafts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185486861740?hash=item2b2fe0e5ac:g:KosAAOSwfh5inOZy

or many sets of OnOff Kuro 2015 irons

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154934933071?hash=item2412d7764f:g:T74AAOSw3j9fKkrm

• Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

T100 would not be for you, it’s a rather small head so contact is premium. The ZX5 at 9 and iron play being the worst is probably more with what you’re looking for. The P770 isn’t too far off from that. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

Another vote for the Blueprints here if we're keeping this to recent offerings. They are very forgiving for their size and look incredible, too.

Also, if you're willing to go back almost 10 years, then I'd also suggest the S55s. Fairly compact, extremely consistent, and uber forgiving. Oh and they do feel great. There's a reason why a lot of pros still bag these (even non-Ping staffers). Heck, they were used to win the US Open last month!

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 3

• LowAndLeft32 changed the title to Looking for a 🦄 players Iron that will improve scores