2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2024 Recruits?

Anyone here have a 2024 golfer being recruited? What is the process? Did you start getting calls or emails yet? Did only those schools you reached out to respond?  Did those you reached out to respond at all or how has the process been for you?  How has your JGS ranking in regards to recruiting? Is the process overwhelming? 

Communication for 2024 just started about 20 days ago so don't be too worried.  Reach out to multiple schools in which there is an interest with resume, swing video, and upcoming tournament schedule.  If the coach develops an interest from that information he/she will reach out.  A coach wants kids that are extremely excited about his/her Program and appreciative of the opportunity!  If your player's level of ability is fairly good, do not overlook higher level D2 schools in favor of low level D1.  Overall, look for the best fit for your athlete's college goals (and a place where they can play) to optimize his/her collegiate experience!  If you do the homework now to find best fit, you can avoid the transfer portal due to being unhappy with a school's program/coach/lack of travel time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tssgj65 said:

Communication for 2024 just started about 20 days ago so don't be too worried.  Reach out to multiple schools in which there is an interest with resume, swing video, and upcoming tournament schedule.  If the coach develops an interest from that information he/she will reach out.  A coach wants kids that are extremely excited about his/her Program and appreciative of the opportunity!  If your player's level of ability is fairly good, do not overlook higher level D2 schools in favor of low level D1.  Overall, look for the best fit for your athlete's college goals (and a place where they can play) to optimize his/her collegiate experience!  If you do the homework now to find best fit, you can avoid the transfer portal due to being unhappy with a school's program/coach/lack of travel time.

Thank you so much for your reply.

We still have a few years to go. Just very curious about the process. Want to be prepared. 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, John119 said:

Anyone here have a 2024 golfer being recruited? What is the process? Did you start getting calls or emails yet? Did only those schools you reached out to respond?  Did those you reached out to respond at all or how has the process been for you?  How has your JGS ranking in regards to recruiting? Is the process overwhelming? 

The last question JGS for my son was pretty much irrelevant.  It was more like that job interview when the interviewer ask if you have a degree.

It proved to the coach my son had been playing 36 hole events.  He like my son based them talking and his raw talent.  During his end of year interview.  The coach had explained how the AD had noticed my son a few times doing all the little things.  The S&C coach spoke the world of him.  He made the dean's list as well.

What is the process?

I hate that I will say this, but the process is what you make it.  In the beginning I would def help your junior with research, recruiting sites, resume building, youtube.  After the first 6 months or so.  The junior needs to be emailing all the coaches.  Sending updates.  As meetings are arranged to talk with coaches.  Trips the parents will go on of course, but IMHO during that visit should be the first time you and the coach should be talking.

Dont narrow the scope to only a few schools.  Sit down as a family and decide parameters.  This will dictate how far the junior can cast the net for schools.  First batch or so should be 50 or so IMHO.

Don't be disappointed when 20 emails go out and zero come back.

Personally, my daughter was at PKB event.  I seen a coach that had been contacting my son.  This was about the time he was offered his current scholarship.  When the coach seen me he immediately said I just totally forgot until now to contact your son.  He had been busy with getting his team ready and things slipped.  So, a follow up it's bad either.

I can tell you this from my experience with my son who will be a freshman playing college this fall.  Most all D-1 schools select their players and get commitments late spring to early summer before a player's senior year in high school.  Finishing well in junior tournaments, don't have to necessarily win highly competitive events but do have to shoot some good scores to get attention.  Playing well in the high school post-season matters too.  For D-1, they recruit distance as well for boys.  Can't teach a kid to hit it a long way.  

On communication, have to be cautious with emails and phone calls.  They are busy with a fall season and spring season these days.  Not saying not to email but inundating them with emails is not a good thing.  Setup a website with very well done videos of down the line and face on with a pitching wedge, 8 iron, 5 iron, fairway wood and driver.  No voiceover!  Let the coach see and hear the sound of the swing and impact.  Put results, scoring averages, goals academically as well as golf related, GPA, and other pertinent info.  Coaches want kids they don't have to worry about academically.  

Good luck with it.  What I said was experience we had but it is not definitive.  Can be a tricky bit of navigation to be sure.

37 minutes ago, Gawbage_man said:

This is a cool  thread.  My Godchild committed early and ended up de-committing.  He then visited two more schools before committing again (2023 class).  I remember during the recruitment process his and his dad's phone was always blowing up.

The first school we visited the coach told my son and I to enjoy the journey.  It basically was a 2 year ride. 

I tell families I might see today as I watch my daughter.  It can become a part time job.  As @rflores2323mentioned it can be overwhelming for a teenager who has been playing junior to now suddenly being by contacted by colleges.

My daughter doesn't have plans of playing college, but usually get a few emails a week,so she will write back to see what their pitch is.

5 hours ago, rflores2323 said:

So I have a daughter that is in that class.  We are in Texas and she currently is ranked #63 overall in her class and top 5 in TX 2024 class.  

We started the emailing process around end of 8th grade.  We made an email newsletter to keep coaches informed.   While they couldn't respond we could at least check if they were opened and how many times etc. 

When June 15 hit she got her first email at 12:01 from a coach so that was memorable.   She also got hit up by texts and phone all day. Over 50+ schools.   She was playing a tournament so responses were delayed but coaches understood.  She also got three offers already but she is not ready to commit and wants to go see campuses etc..

Also something happen to her that we were not expecting.  She just played at first tee national championship at Notre Dame and her first day she scored an 87......yes 87....her worst score ever in competition.  She was at the bottom of leaderboard.   We had our family dinner talk and she told us she was not focused on her tournament. Her mind was thinking of coaches, her responses, emails, phone interview dates, etc... So the recruiting process was overwhelming her and it had only been a few weeks.  We came up with a plan and told her that she has to turn this from negative to a positive as some girls don't get any calls.  She had to prioritize the schools into three categories and also any phone interviews could wait until after tournaments.   This helped clear her mind and next day she shot -1 and the third day Even.  She turned it around and didn't give any strokes back to field and finished 11th.   So this was a huge learning moment for our family.  We have let her do alot of the process however we had to be reminded she is only 16..it's alot for a kid to process and handle.  

We also have social media accounts (bellafloresgolf) and her golf resume on a website.  This helps coaches to be informed also. 

Hope this helps. 

This was very interesting and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:31 PM, rflores2323 said:

So I have a daughter that is in that class.  We are in Texas and she currently is ranked #63 overall in her class and top 5 in TX 2024 class.  

We started the emailing process around end of 8th grade.  We made an email newsletter to keep coaches informed.   While they couldn't respond we could at least check if they were opened and how many times etc. 

When June 15 hit she got her first email at 12:01 from a coach so that was memorable.   She also got hit up by texts and phone all day. Over 50+ schools.   She was playing a tournament so responses were delayed but coaches understood.  She also got three offers already but she is not ready to commit and wants to go see campuses etc..

Also something happen to her that we were not expecting.  She just played at first tee national championship at Notre Dame and her first day she scored an 87......yes 87....her worst score ever in competition.  She was at the bottom of leaderboard.   We had our family dinner talk and she told us she was not focused on her tournament. Her mind was thinking of coaches, her responses, emails, phone interview dates, etc... So the recruiting process was overwhelming her and it had only been a few weeks.  We came up with a plan and told her that she has to turn this from negative to a positive as some girls don't get any calls.  She had to prioritize the schools into three categories and also any phone interviews could wait until after tournaments.   This helped clear her mind and next day she shot -1 and the third day Even.  She turned it around and didn't give any strokes back to field and finished 11th.   So this was a huge learning moment for our family.  We have let her do alot of the process however we had to be reminded she is only 16..it's alot for a kid to process and handle.  

We also have social media accounts (bellafloresgolf) and her golf resume on a website.  This helps coaches to be informed also. 

Hope this helps. 

Just curious, is this process much different for international students? Reading some posts in the junior forums makes it seem like it can be like a job for parents and player just to find a team that fits. Whereas a kid I know, who is an international student, with some marginal national results, 1 solid international junior result and a brushed up CV only started contacting coaches at 16-17 through one of these college golf recruitement sites and is playing D1 golf and made it to regionals. This seems kind of incongruous with the level of work put in I see on here (which I am all for, please do whatever it takes to chase your dreams 🙂 )

6 hours ago, ezpz said:

Just curious, is this process much different for international students? Reading some posts in the junior forums makes it seem like it can be like a job for parents and player just to find a team that fits. Whereas a kid I know, who is an international student, with some marginal national results, 1 solid international junior result and a brushed up CV only started contacting coaches at 16-17 through one of these college golf recruitement sites and is playing D1 golf and made it to regionals. This seems kind of incongruous with the level of work put in I see on here (which I am all for, please do whatever it takes to chase your dreams 🙂 )

International is more challenging due to difficulty of visits.  In my experience International kids are much more wanting an opportunity to play and are much less concerned with the D1 moniker vs other levels - many preferring higher level D2 over lower level D1.  Communicate as much as possible with Coaches at preferred schools (communication back from Coaches just became available June 15 for 2024)  Utilize Zoom calls when possible but stay after the communication in every form.  Coaches want athletes that are excited about their programs.  Of course the elite golf schools have no problem with excitement, but Coaches do want athletes that are excited and grateful for the opportunity.

• Like 1

Keep playing in tournaments where scores are posted (online) and retrievable. 
get ready for summer before senior year.  Put together golf resume and visit schools he wants to attend - if golf doesn’t work out.

if it’s D1 or bust. Focus on the game. If you can play and don’t mind where you go to school there will be a spot somewhere.

• Like 1

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

19 minutes ago, pingfool said:

Keep playing in tournaments where scores are posted (online) and retrievable. 
get ready for summer before senior year.  Put together golf resume and visit schools he wants to attend - if golf doesn’t work out.

if it’s D1 or bust. Focus on the game. If you can play and don’t mind where you go to school there will be a spot somewhere.

Summer before senior year is too late for the better D1 schools and D2 schools.  If you don't mind where you end up, then yeah you can get into a lower D2 or D3 school.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Summer before senior year is too late for the better D1 schools and D2 schools.  If you don't mind where you end up, then yeah you can get into a lower D2 or D3 school.

Coaches are following 2025 players right now. in the last month I seen a ton coaches out there and they are following kids.   Make sure you play near schools you want to attend.  

I was told that there are recruiting for the best fit for their program not the best ranked kid  or the one winning the event. 

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Coaches are following 2025 players right now. in the last month I seen a ton coaches out there and they are following kids.   Make sure you play near schools you want to attend.  

I was told that there are recruiting for the best fit for their program not the best ranked kid  or the one winning the event. 

"I was told that there are recruiting for the best fit"  This makes the most sense TBH.  JGS rankings don't mean anything once you go to college.   If you are talking Power 5 golf then sure.  That's elite golf and elite recruiting.  The majority of the kids and schools have to recruited themselves.

Who cares if you were 200 or 300. 

How many of our kids have had a bad weekend playing?  Coaches don't hold it against them.  At least the one worth the kids time. Plus they can get scores online or  once the junior has established a communication line with coach its a good update email.

I believe my son would send it out about every month or two.  Something like below.

Coach Smith,

I recently completed my Junior golf spring schedule.  Please the table attached with all my scores, course ratings/slope as well as  placement.  Attached is my summer schedule which I start in a few weeks.  I don’t envision any changes.

Also, recently took my SAT and scored a 1360.

Thank you,

Junior

I

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

"I was told that there are recruiting for the best fit"  This makes the most sense TBH.  JGS rankings don't mean anything once you go to college.   

Some parents care more about their kids ranking then actually improving skills.   It very obvious they need to fix how the rankings get calculated to stay relevent. I am pretty sure coaches have figured it out too.

when you can beat the same kids week in and week out but they still outrank your kid after a year because they play a few easy short courses for rankings it pretty  obvious why some kids have a hard time with recruiting even though they are ranked high.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Some parents care more about their kids ranking then actually improving skills.

Agree with this.  Use tournaments to learn and get better.  Tournaments will show what you are weak in.   It’s way more satisfying to see slow gradual improvement.  I’m frankly shocked more coaches don’t notice progression more.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

They are following 2024 as well.

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

During a few visits where we actually sat in the coaches office.  I noticed a few would have years broken out on white boards. 

The first one I noticed this was during November 2019.  He had three 2020 names and notes next to them.

2021 names and again notes.  He had each in a different marker color. The last being 2022.  His net was bigger for this class.

Was interesting seeing the a little bit of the other side.  I never asked him about it, just observing as him and my son talked.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My son is a 2024 grad and just verbally committed. He started sending out emails in the winter of his freshman year, and cast a pretty wide net (80 emails). It was a basic introduction including his rankings, resume, academic success, etc. The following winter of sophomore year, he narrowed his focus down to around 35 schools and showed varied levels of interest (extremely interested, very interested, & interested). For the schools he really wanted, he researched their courses, facilities, etc and made the emails a little more personalized. In March he sent them an updated schedule and said he hoped to hear from them on June 15th. In between all this he had an instagram account in which he and coaches/schools had followed each other. Many schools sent questionnaires and replied to emails that they couldn't communicate (obviously) and looked forward to communicating on June 15th.

June 15th was a lot of fun and overwhelming.  From there he was very independent in all of his conversations with coaches, and it really helped him with his organization and communication skills. It's a great life experience for a kid.  As parents, we just made sure he gave time and a conversation to everyone, whether he wanted to go there or not. The coach took the time out of his day to reach out, so he needed to give the coach his time and thank him for his interest. All coaches talk, so you don't ever want to blow someone off. Overall he talked to over 40 schools, I think, but he narrowed it to a top 10 and a top 5 pretty quickly.

Coaches following him in person was nerve wracking but also exciting. Luckily my son loved it and it didn't affect him negatively or made him nervous. He has several friends from the class of 2023 who were not committed yet, and they put a lot of pressure on themselves and it affected their performance. The weirdest part was not being able to talk to the coaches in person until August 1st, which is an awkward situation.

The schools that were extremely interested, in addition to texts and phone conversations, sent a LOT of mail. You will know who really wants your golfer by the amount of mail!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2022 at 6:35 AM, golfdad1 said:

My son is a 2024 grad and just verbally committed. He started sending out emails in the winter of his freshman year, and cast a pretty wide net (80 emails). It was a basic introduction including his rankings, resume, academic success, etc. The following winter of sophomore year, he narrowed his focus down to around 35 schools and showed varied levels of interest (extremely interested, very interested, & interested). For the schools he really wanted, he researched their courses, facilities, etc and made the emails a little more personalized. In March he sent them an updated schedule and said he hoped to hear from them on June 15th. In between all this he had an instagram account in which he and coaches/schools had followed each other. Many schools sent questionnaires and replied to emails that they couldn't communicate (obviously) and looked forward to communicating on June 15th.

June 15th was a lot of fun and overwhelming.  From there he was very independent in all of his conversations with coaches, and it really helped him with his organization and communication skills. It's a great life experience for a kid.  As parents, we just made sure he gave time and a conversation to everyone, whether he wanted to go there or not. The coach took the time out of his day to reach out, so he needed to give the coach his time and thank him for his interest. All coaches talk, so you don't ever want to blow someone off. Overall he talked to over 40 schools, I think, but he narrowed it to a top 10 and a top 5 pretty quickly.

Coaches following him in person was nerve wracking but also exciting. Luckily my son loved it and it didn't affect him negatively or made him nervous. He has several friends from the class of 2023 who were not committed yet, and they put a lot of pressure on themselves and it affected their performance. The weirdest part was not being able to talk to the coaches in person until August 1st, which is an awkward situation.

The schools that were extremely interested, in addition to texts and phone conversations, sent a LOT of mail. You will know who really wants your golfer by the amount of mail!

Great advice provided - thanks! Is you son still going through this process - curious how long this recruiting process will last. 

2 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

Once you verbally commit, recruiting in golf stops. Unlike other sports verbal commitments actually mean something in golf.  

Is this true?  We know of a girl who verbally committed to a school and the school withdrew the commitment.  She was left scrambling to find a place late in the recruiting process.  It was a big name school who withdrew the commitment.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jigsaw1011 said:

Is this true?  We know of a girl who verbally committed to a school and the school withdrew the commitment.  She was left scrambling to find a place late in the recruiting process.  It was a big name school who withdrew the commitment.  

As far as i been told verbal commits are not binding.   So anything can happen.   Think of it like a verbal job offer before an official offer.

If you get verbal offer your on the right track but it can be withdrawn anytime.  Verbal offers are withdrawn by both prospects and coaches all the time and you need to have a backup.

13 hours ago, jigsaw1011 said:

That absolutely can happen.  But once you verbally commit then other schools aren’t going to continue recruiting you.  A verbal commitment being withdrawn by a coach is pretty rare and something drastic usually has to occur for that to happen (on either player side or coaches side like new hire so that coach wasn’t the one who offered them).  Pretty much all coaches I know will honor their commitment, though may reduce or increase the amount of scholarship money given between verbal commitment and actually signing.  Most coaches don’t discuss hard figures, usually a range, until ready to actually sign.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

That absolutely can happen.  But once you verbally commit then other schools aren’t going to continue recruiting you.  A verbal commitment being withdrawn by a coach is pretty rare and something drastic usually has to occur for that to happen (on either player side or coaches side like new hire so that coach wasn’t the one who offered them).  Pretty much all coaches I know will honor their commitment, though may reduce or increase the amount of scholarship money given between verbal commitment and actually signing.  Most coaches don’t discuss hard figures, usually a range, until ready to actually sign.  

Wait, are you telling me we won't see the thoroughly prepared tweet with too many graphics saying "Flipped"?  

• Like 1