2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The 150th Open (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)

Jonno116

17 hours ago, Hankshank said:

If fellow countryman Lagergren manages to qualify somehow, don´t know if there are any chances left or if he even has qualified somehow, he has a shot. The kind of guy that misses cuts galore but once he dont he contends, and he has played extremely well on Old Course, in the Dunhill Event. Otherwise, Oosthuizen, the cheesehouse to all Scandinavians, would be a nice little win for his cause, and he has showed he knows his way around on that sacred piece of land.

Otherwise, I do look forward to this, even if the stretch 12-tee shot 16, even if sacred, is arguably the most boring stretch of holes in major golf save last nine Pinehurst. It was good for sheep to effectively chew grass and early day mowers of the same liliopsidias, but well... Hope the TV guys can make them some kind of justice. From there in, of course epic. Kind of 1/AN.  

How many of you guys have been standing gloating at that piece of grass that constitutes holes 1 and 18?  Playing it was great, the caddie Sandy that loost hees veergeeniti in sankt androos just made it even better. Sacred land.

Wow! I'm pretty sure this is written predominantly in English, which happens to be my native language. But as God is my witness, I don't understand one word of it. I've examined myself in the mirror to make sure I wasn't rapped on the noggin with a blunt object and have entered some kind of state of amnesia, but all is well.

It's truly brilliant, and I'm not trying to be facetious. There has to be someone, somewhere out there in the Internet universe, who will pay big money for the ability to write prose like this.

I have no response, other than to quote Fenwick from Diner: "Do you ever wonder if there's something going on that we don't know about?"

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Blue Surfer said:

Wow! I'm pretty sure this is written predominantly in English, which happens to be my native language. But as God is my witness, I don't understand one word of it. I've examined myself in the mirror to make sure I wasn't rapped on the noggin with a blunt object and have entered some kind of state of amnesia, but all is well.

It's truly brilliant, and I'm not trying to be facetious. There has to be someone, somewhere out there in the Internet universe, who will pay big money for the ability to write prose like this.

I have no response, other than to quote Fenwick from Diner: "Do you ever wonder if there's something going on that we don't know about?"

Pardon a poor Scandinavian being brought up in a mishmash of High Chapparal, Wodehouse, Brideshead revisited, multinational company swenglish, Lost and all kind of anglicanish from all over the place. My prose probably stinks. I just write from the heart and i Love golf as i Love St Andrews. i suppose the last quote in your post was meant to be an insult, adressing my expression of love for that piece of grass?

Suppose its better if I write in my uncouth mother Scandinavian language and let Google translate do the job.

was it really THAT incomprehensible? I seem to make myself understood here, at least, I normally get answers that indicates accurate understanding of what I have written.

(reading through earlier my post, I see that my Ipad thing made a mess of ”the stretch from 12th tee to the 16th tee shot”. The 16th approach normally produces some drama)

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

Pardon a poor Scandinavian being brought up in a mishmash of High Chapparal, Wodehouse, Brideshead revisited, multinational company swenglish, Lost and all kind of anglicanish from all over the place. My prose probably stinks. I just write from the heart and i Love golf as i Love St Andrews. i suppose the last quote in your post was meant to be an insult, adressing my expression of love for that piece of grass?

Suppose its better if I write in my uncouth mother Scandinavian language and let Google translate do the job.

was it really THAT incomprehensible? I seem to make myself understood here, at least, I normally get answers that indicates accurate understanding of what I have written.

(reading through earlier my post, I see that my Ipad thing made a mess of ”the stretch from 12th tee to the 16th tee shot”. The 16th approach normally produces some drama)

Don’t worry, the World loves a trier.  And it is trying. When Sam Snead visited St Andrews he was heard to say “ when will it be finished “. Tusen Takk. 

Edited by Pastit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

No not an insult at all. I have no idea what the grass reference is about. The fact that you are writing in a foreign language explains it. From now on I'll paste your posts in Google Swenglish --> Anglicanish. Your Swenglish is much better than my Swedish. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blue Surfer said:

No not an insult at all. I have no idea what the grass reference is about. The fact that you are writing in a foreign language explains it. From now on I'll paste your posts in Google Swenglish --> Anglicanish. Your Swenglish is much better than my Swedish. 

The grass reference - I stood, the evening after having played what was probably my most iconic 18 holes of golf, leaning at the low fence just further up the road from R&A and, admittedly, gloated at the sight of the first and 18th hole in the evening sun. A guy came walking by behind me and said ”its only a piece of grass”. Without turning my head I answered ”naah!”. He laughed and kept on walking. I turned my head, and saw the fellow walk up the stairs to R&A and entered. The grass is the grass of S:t Andrews Old Course.

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Blue Surfer said:

I understand most of it. But then again, I am used to Austrians and Germans speaking or writing in English, so I suppose, I have an advantage.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

4 minutes ago, pcmancini said:

What exemptions are still available for The Open to players who have not yet qualified?   Do the Scottish and Irish Opens offer multiple entries based on finish?

Thanks,

Paul

Normally, 3 players not already exempt finishing in top ten in previous important events. But you could Google the events and research it.

8 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Your post was perfect, Hs ; )

Not sure why anyone would have an issue understanding any of it.

Perhaps because it’s written in a more formal style, I actually like it. 

Oh, there’s a movie about Wodehouse on Amazon Prime, his story is remarkable 

6 hours ago, pcmancini said:

What exemptions are still available for The Open to players who have not yet qualified?   Do the Scottish and Irish Opens offer multiple entries based on finish?

Thanks,

Paul

I think I heard the top 3 finishers at the John Deere who are not already exempt will get the invites, if they finish in the top 10 of the tournament. Just looking at the top 20 right now, they will definitely get 3 who are not exempt in there. This is the first time they get 3 from here as far as I know--it used to be just one. Something must have changed concerning the invites from the last European Tour event. There is a private jet idling at Quad City International for all players playing in the John Deere who are going to the British Open.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, grm24 said:

You have to actually be playing in the event to win it. At this point Fowler is not in the Open Championship under any circumstance.

Well that's a given..my bet is contingent that he plays and I had hopes he might get in the past few weeks...as i said, hope dies last. 

Crazy bets and some not so crazy:

Gooch 150:1 - he's good, he's young, I can never figure why his odds aren't shorter.

Henley 125:1 - solid, consistent.

Varner 80:1 - hits a good low draw. Likes big moments. Has magic.

Fox 80:1 - not a household name. Good recent showing at the Irish.

Young 60:1 - always shows us something unexpected.

Woods 40:1 - you know.

Spieth 22:1 - ultimate feel player, in the wind.

Fitzpatrick 20:1 - course fit and recent form.

JT / Rory  tooshort:1 - nothing crazy here, just all world.

I kinda wanna bet the basket.

Based on the last 2 months here 20mph will be 'light wind'.......

Nearly every round I've been out its been gusting in the 30's.......

Its been pretty wet over the last week so the course wont be brown but its going to be fast.

• Like 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

On 7/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, bscinstnct said:

Your post was perfect, Hs ; )

Not sure why anyone would have an issue understanding any of it.

Perhaps because it’s written in a more formal style, I actually like it. 

Oh, there’s a movie about Wodehouse on Amazon Prime, his story is remarkable 

It's time for me to chime in about my love affair with Wodehouse.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

An acquired taste for some ...

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/associated-press/acquired-taste

Edited by Ghost of Snead
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

The 150th Open is nearly upon us. I am there Friday of the Championship but also Sunday and Monday for the practice rounds so with the practice rounds in particular in mind, I will not be able to do my usual and start the thread for the Championship on the Sunday evening/Monday morning so I figured it made sense to get a proper thread up and running now.

As the R&A has been telling us with the marketing for the Championship, everything has lead to this. From humble beginnings in 1860, as the golfing world and 8 competitors set about identifying a successor to the late Alan Robertson, The Open has persisted (with occasional fallow years due to World War, global pandemic or for the want of a prize to be awarded at the end thanks to Young Tom Morris) and now is one of three, if not the, premier event in the sport. Since Willie Park Snr claimed the first championship on a cold October day in Prestwick, The Open has been there as Golf grew from a game played in Scotland and the rest of the British Isles to a game with its arms wrapped around the entire globe. Anyone who was anyone in the world of Golf has played and competed for the title of Champion Golfer of the Year. Whilst early events were understandably dominated by the Scots, as the game grew so did The Open with winners from England, then France, America, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, Spain, Zimbabwe, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Italy eventually adding their names to the famous Claret Jug. Whilst there are other major championships in the game, The Open is the only one which can state that everyone who was ever someone in the competitive game has competed. Any Open is special, any Open at St Andrews is extra special but 150th Open and it being played at St Andrews is about as special as it can get. 

Willie Park Sr. - Wikipedia

Willie Park Snr- The First Open Champion

Turning to the Championship this year, the world's best will tee it up around the grand old lady of The Old Course at St Andrews. This will be the 30th time that The Old Course has staged The Open. Before and during the event, there will invariably be questions as to whether The Old Course is a stern enough test for the world's best and the distances that they hit it. Without doubt, many of those concerns are legitimate but for now, let's remember the course as with most links courses needs the wind to allow it to play in the way that it should and with the exception of Saturday in 2015 when the wind was so strong that play required to be suspended for most of the day, St Andrews Opens have largely been benign weeks stretching back to the 90's. Even without a windy few days in the Eden Estuary we are in for a real treat over the next few days.

Collin Morikawa heads to Fife with the Claret Jug in his possession having become the first debutant since Ben Curtis in 2003 to win. Morikawa's play seems to be an awful lot patchier this year that it was in 2020 and 2021 but he will have high hopes of following the lead of Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, Peter Thomson and Tiger Woods amongst others in becoming the Champion Golfer of the Year in successive years. The field is however wide open and the likes of recent major winners such as Justin Thomas and Scottie Scheffler who have both proven themselves as being extremely adept in the wind will head into the event with expectation as well as hope for what may be. Rory McIlroy has a strong record around The Old Course and a recent win in Canada to bolster his confidence and Jordan Spieth having come so close the last time we were at St Andrews in 2015 will also fancy his chances. Then there is Tiger! His entire summer appears to have been based around being able to tee it up at St Andrews. Whilst there are massive doubts as to his fitness and his ability to compete for 72 holes, there is no doubting his love for The Old Course and with a golfing brain above and beyond anyone in the game, it would take a brave man to say that he had no chance and if he somehow managed to overcome all of the odds (again) he would become the oldest Open champion in history. Whatever comes, we should be treated to a spectacle of golf all coming to an end in the grandest theatre in the game - the 18th hole at St Andrews.

Bring it on!!

Defending Champion:-

Collin Morikawa

Notables in the Field:-

Tiger Woods (2000, 2005 and 2006 Champion)

Scottie Scheffler

Rory McIlroy (2014 Champion)

Jon Rahm

Justin Thomas 

Cameron Smith

Patrick Cantlay

Viktor Hovland

Sam Burns

Matt Fiztpatrick

Xander Schauffele

Jordan Spieth (2017 Champion)

Will Zalatoris

Hideki Matsuyama

Billy Horschel

Max Homa

Shane Lowry (2019 Champion)

Francesco Molinari (2018 Champion)

Henrik Stenson (2016 Champion)

Zach Johnson (2015 Champion)

Course:-

The Old Course, St Andrews

Par 72

7,297 Yards

Collin Morikawa wins British Open for his second major at age 24

Collin Morikawa - Defending Champion

The Open 2022 Golf Packages St Andrews | Authorised Provider

The 1st and 18th - Old Course, St Andrews during the Open...the greatest setting in Golf

Facts & Figures

Previous Winners:-

6 Wins - Harry Vardon

5 Wins - Tom Watson

5 Wins - JH Taylor

5 Wins - James Braid

5 Wins - Peter Thomson

4 Wins - Old Tom Morris

4 Wins - Young Tom Morris

4 Wins - Willie Park Snr

4 Wins - Walter Hagen

4 Wins - Bobby Locke

3 Wins - Jamie Anderson

3 Wins - Bob Ferguson 

3 Wins - Bobby Jones

3 Wins - Henry Cotton

3 Wins - Gary Player

3 Wins - Jack Nicklaus

3 Wins - Seve Ballesteros

3 Wins - Nick Faldo

3 Wins - Tiger Woods

Oldest Winner: Old Tom Morris - 46 Years and 102 days

Youngest Winner: Young Tom Morris - 17 Years and 156 days

Largest Margin of Victory: Tom Morris Snr - 13 Strokes - 1862

Lowest 72 Hole Total: Henrik Stenson - 264 (-20) 2016

Lowest Round: 62 - Branden Grace - 2017

Lowest Round to Par: -9 Paul Broadhurst (1990) and Rory McIlory (2010)

Most Consecutive Wins: 4 - Young Tom Morris

Most Runner Up Finishes: 7 - Jack Nicklaus

Prize Money

1860: Nothing

1863: £10 (shared equally amongst all competitors)

1864: £15 (£6 to the winner)

1893: £100

1931: £500 (£100 to the winner)

1946: £1,000 

1965: £10,000 (£1,750 to the winner)

1977: £100,000 (£10,000 to the winner)

1993: £1,000,000 (£100,000 to the winner)

2011: £5,000,000 (£900,000 to the winner)

2017: $10,750,000 (first year that prize money was stated in dollars)

2021: $11,500,000 ($2,070,000 to the winner)

2022: TBC

Who was Old Tom Morris and in what ways did he shape modern golf? | The  Scotsman

Old & Young Tom Morris - 8 Open Championship (4 each) between them

Zach Johnson rips up the scripts to become enduring star on Open stage |  The Open 2015 | The Guardian

Zach Johnson - the last winner of an Open at St Andrews

Arnold Palmer at The Open

The King waves goodbye to The Open in 1995

Jack Nicklaus' Mind-Blowing 18-Year Stretch at The Open Championship - Pro  Golf Weekly

Jack Nicklaus - 1978 at St Andrews

The story of *those* Seve pictures... by the man who… - bunkered.co.uk

Seve - 1984 Open at St Andrews

Tiger Woods 40 Biggest Moments - Winning 2000 British Open

Tiger sealed the Career Grand Slam at St Andrews in 2000

GREAT LEAD IN ThREAD! This will be golf at its finest........Strategy and endurance will triumph. Guess I'm now a 1%er.........LOL!

This is my favorite sporting event of the year…and it’s not even close…

While Hoylake is my number 1, St Andrew’s makes for ridiculously exciting tournaments…

An underrated, brilliant performance…his hands were so soft around the greens in those days

-chris

• Like 2

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

40 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

This is my favorite sporting event of the year…and it’s not even close…

While Hoylake is my number 1, St Andrew’s makes for ridiculously exciting tournaments…

An underrated, brilliant performance…his hands were so soft around the greens in those days

-chris

Really reminds you what could have been for John.

Edited by jonsnow
  • Thanks 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to The 150th Open (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)