2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Ping ChipR

On 7/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, dlow206 said:

Just sent a question to Ping on how they would recommend fitting for length. The marketing materials advertise the Chipr as being the length of a putter (35"). However, due to being short with short legs, for a putter, i fit into 31.5" as determined during my Ping PLD in-person fitting at Ping HQ. 

i was fit into a 32”putter  earlier this year and use the Cleveland chipper. It’s 34”. I only play it full length if I’m hitting it from 60-70 yds out. If it’s a short chip I choke down on it 

Edited by erock9174

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

12 hours ago, SilenceX said:

While I appreciate the sentiment, I play with several guys who are double digit handicaps with terrible short games and zero time or interest in practicing. What time they can dedicate to golf, they use to get out and play. So something like this definitely does have a market, not as big as it probably should be,  it it’ll sell just fine. 

I bounce around between 8-10, and mine arrives today.

Same boat…time for golf is precious, and I want to play not practice.  If this gets me to 7-9 (and it will based on the two or three shots I donate to poor chipping every round), it’s worth carrying for me. 

• Like 2

The stigma for using one of these is huge and it's not for everyone, but I think this is a great option for mid-high handicappers or anyone who wants more predictability. Hats off to all those who embrace playing with what works and give this a go. 

I play with plenty of decent players who struggle with consistency around the greens chipping with an 8i-PW, and this would help them a ton. Most of them would have no real problem finding space for it in the bag. Whether they'd actually be willing to do it is a very, very different question.

For all those saying "I have no problem chipping with X," you're not the target market. If you're posting on here, you're probably not the target market 😀 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

In hand measurements…

35.5”, 40°, 70°, E-6

That’s “off the rack” pre-order, no fitting.

Tour Velvet type grip, very rounded end cap, so length is approx.  I’ll regrip and measure shaft butt tomorrow. 

My putter is 70°. 👍🏼  

I planned to bend it to 36ish anyway, but they missed their loft spec by a bit. 🤷🏻

Edited by 968cab

23 minutes ago, 968cab said:

In hand measurements…

35.5”, 40°, 70°, E-6

Tour Velvet type grip, very rounded end cap, so length is approx.  I’ll regrip and measure shaft butt tomorrow. 

My putter is 70°. 👍🏼  

I planned to bend it to 36ish anyway, but they missed their loft spec by a bit. 🤷🏻

40* instead of 38* is better in my book. I like a little loft on me chippers 

• Like 1

Ping 2023 Anser D

2 hours ago, Foreleft said:

Ping staffers contribute to Ping club design.

Wonder if HuntR Mahan had a hand in the ChipR?

May have been under development since after the 2010 Ryder Cup.

IDK that Mahan could put down instagram long enough to get his hands on it

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

19 hours ago, 968cab said:

In hand measurements…

35.5”, 40°, 70°, E-6

My putter is 70°. 👍🏼  

do you have some hook-up or is Ping starting to ship pre-orders already?

43 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

do you have some hook-up or is Ping starting to ship pre-orders already?

No hook up, just ordered on-line from PGASS the same day this thread started; so 7 days before delivered. It shipped directly from PING. 

TBH, I was shocked it showed up this quickly…thought it would be end of July-ish, around when they are supposed to hit the shelves.

I can't imagine having a club in my bag that can only do one thing...other than a putter obviously but I use that 35 times a round. 

Anyone who thinks they need one of these could easily learn use a hybrid for the same kind of shot. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

14 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I can't imagine having a club in my bag that can only do one thing...other than a putter obviously but I use that 35 times a round. 

Anyone who thinks they need one of these could easily learn use a hybrid for the same kind of shot. 

While I do see your point, you’re gonna be furious to learn that there is a club most golfers only use  for a single type of shot and only around 10-13 times per round, and they may be better off using it for even less shots, yet still keep one in the bag!

The target market for this club could use this almost as much as they use driver. It is much less forgiving with a putting stroke than doing the same with a hybrid (so many more things can go wrong choking down on a hybrid with a shaft and lie built for distance than a club designed specifically for these chips). Many of the people who will get this may have trouble with a 58/60 or aren’t playing any of the shots you normally would with that club, so would have the slot in their bag for it.

I would put one in my bag if I didn’t use all my wedges.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I have a driver in my bag...it only does one thing. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

1 hour ago, stryper said:

I have a driver in my bag...it only does one thing. 🤷‍♂️

Your new chipper will come in handy for punching out when the driver doesn't do that thing. 

• Haha 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, NNJ said:

Would it be illegal to put a stability shaft into one of these? I’m guessing yes but need to know for sure

On 7/13/2022 at 7:10 PM, Whatnogarnish said:

who’s going to be the first to put a TX shaft in this thing?

I love WRX

• Haha 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

15 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Your new chipper will come in handy for punching out when the driver doesn't do that thing. 

Driver isn’t my punch out club, and I have no plans to pick up a ChipR.  If my short game goes south I’ll just repo the Niblicks that are on loan with a friend right now. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

Visited my local shop thought it might be on the rack early. No dice.  Grrrrrr. I had money in my pocket too. 

the sales guy did say.  A lot of people have been asking about it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping 2023 Anser D

18 hours ago, NNJ said:

Would it be illegal to put a stability shaft into one of these? I’m guessing yes but need to know for sure

Can't imagine why. It's functionally a bimatrix shaft like the old one. You can't put a putter grip on it, but I can't think of a rule that dictates what kind of shaft you use.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cameron Circle T said:

Can't imagine why. It's functionally a bimatrix shaft like the old one. You can't put a putter grip on it, but I can't think of a rule that dictates what kind of shaft you use.

Now you can buy this slap a jumbomax wrap grip on it and keep your WRX card:

”look it’s not a chipper, it’s a counterbalanced stability-shafted tool that is the only way you can truly accurately hit running chips every time with a square face, and without having to worry about unnecessary torque. We’ve had unnecessary movement in the club face on bump and run chips for years and now and the smallest movement, a quarter of an inch off in face angle through the chip could mean your shot ends up as many as 20 yards offline. Now we have a way to truly insure consistent chipping at the ideal lie angle, with truly stable hands.”

now if only they could make this center-shafted to help those who are left eye dominant 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by NNJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/19/2022 at 2:53 PM, me05501 said:

I've tried the idea of chipping with a hybrid and -- using hybrids made in recent years, at least -- I've found that for me it's just not practical.

Hybrids' lofts are too low (unless you're carrying like a 6H), their shafts are too long and their faces are too hot. If you only need to get over a few inches of grass and have plenty of room on the green between you and the pin, then sure, it's fine. Or maybe if you play links courses it'd be fine. But otherwise it doesn't really work -- you either can't clear the grass you need to clear, or you can't get the ball to stop after it does. 

I don't carry a chipper but I've used one before, and it's night and day vs. a hybrid.

• Like 4

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

7 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I've tried the idea of chipping with a hybrid and -- using hybrids made in recent years, at least -- I've found that for me it's just not practical.

Hybrids' lofts are too low (unless you're carrying like a 6H), their shafts are too long and their faces are too hot. If you only need to get over a few inches of grass and have plenty of room on the green between you and the pin, then sure, it's fine. Or maybe if you play links courses it'd be fine. But otherwise it doesn't really work -- you either can't clear the grass you need to clear, or you can't get the ball to stop after it does. 

I don't carry a chipper but I've used one before, and it's night and day vs. a hybrid.

It takes a bit of practice, as does chipping with a wedge.

Using a chipping club is such a hack thing it's just hard to imagine anyone who takes the game seriously going down that road.

Chippers belong in the same category as those tees that have the rubber ring around the shaft at different heights, or playing unapproved balls that are designed to go straighter or longer than legal balls. 

I would include "IMO" but there's no point cause this is just a straight up fact.

Edited by me05501
  • Sad 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It takes a bit of practice, as does chipping with a wedge. Using a chipping club is such a hack thing it's just hard to imagine anyone who takes the game seriously going down that road. Chippers belong in the same category as those tees that have the rubber ring around the shaft at different heights, or playing unapproved balls that are designed to go straighter or longer than legal balls. 

The GolfWRX community is almost defined as hacks who take the game seriously and still go down all sorts of curious roads.  

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

26 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Using a chipping club is such a hack thing it's just hard to imagine anyone who takes the game seriously going down that road.

Chippers belong in the same category as those tees that have the rubber ring around the shaft at different heights, or playing unapproved balls that are designed to go straighter or longer than legal balls. 

I would include "IMO" but there's no point cause this is just a straight up fact.

I played with some pretty old dudes in my 38yrs of golf[which means I've graduated to this category]. I assume you- it helps their game beyond words. I saw a fellow by the name of Turnesa use one regularly,  once he couldn't been over that far.

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

30 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I mean sure, I'm not really commenting on the merits of a chipper. I'm just disagreeing with your point about chipping with a hybrid. Much better to learn to do it with a short iron, something with a shorter shaft that can clear a couple feet of grass but also generate enough spin to keep the ball from rocketing over the green. Then in the rare instance where you have six inches of rough to clear and 50 feet of green in front of you, pull out the hybrid or the 5 iron or whatever.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I’ve always thought of Chippers as a gimmicky club but now I’m changing my mind. It can do a number of things: a. Putts from fringe to avoid the ball rolling on anything but the green which can improve accuracy, b. chips from under greenside foliage, c. Chips from extremely tight lies, d. Honestly, probably even chips from hard sand if you have the right angle and the ball is sitting on top, e. Fairly long pitches, and probably lots of other shots.

Here’s the fact of the matter, most of us are attached to our wedges and likely the lofts of the same, and have grown up learning them and learning a few purposes and shots with each one. With that said, I would wager that if anyone on this forum, short of maybe the plus handicaps, spent some real, actual real time learning every shot possible with the chipper, truly practicing with it like it was another wedge, and treated it not as a novelty club that bails out a lack of ability but instead a club which can be mastered and perfected, they would shoot better with a gap wedge, a chipper, and a sand wedge (at a slightly higher loft and the right versatile sole grind, say 55-57, high enough you could flop it), or a chipper, a higher lofted PW, a lower lofted SW and a LW, than they would with a gap, sand, and lob.

Edited by NNJ
  • Like 4