2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 Amundi Evian Championship, July 21-24

18majors

Congrats to Brooke, she must have felt slighted being off the current Mt Rushmore golf. She's def on the next mountain, maybe even have to out her ahead of Nelly after this season now that she's fully healthy and used to playing with a shorter driver if she keep it's up! Creeping up on Minjee for POTY. 

Nice effort for Sophia, I been hyping her up all year - I wonder who will win first between her Amanda Doherty, Alisen Corpuz, Gina Kim- IF ever win, I'm still waiting for Altomare 😞

• Like 4

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Lexi needs another major.  Maybe she should already have 2 (2017 ANA), but she's falling behind the other top talents on the tour.  Maybe add SYK to the list too (although I'd argue she's never got as much recognition as her win total).  Nelly gets a pass for now since she is a bit younger.

Even though they have 2 each, it feels like JY Ko and Lydia are past due for another major W. 

41 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Even though they have 2 each, it feels like JY Ko and Lydia are past due for another major W. 

I think Lydia is close, while JYK I think is close and far at the same time.  Far in that I don't see her game in shape to win right now but close in that can change tomorrow lol

I'd probably would taken Lydia in the last Major but I don't think any of the top 10 will be fighting for that trophy.  I see someone like Ariya winning, her form doesn't show it but her game is well suited for the AIG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was certainly entertaining. Lol. Don't much care for a runaway win, so having a nailbiter with a dozen players with a shot keeps it interesting. Don't understand the criticism of this event. It's a tough mountain course with birdie opportunities, as well as double opportunities. It's not a bomb and gouge fest. Nelly was one over for her back nine. Gotta put a tee shot in play, deal with the hanging lies, deal with the crazy greens, and be a short game wizard to save par. Very few easy birdie putts. Keep in mind that they've been playing this course for years now, so they know the nuances. The better players are going to take adv where they can. 

Anyway, great win for Brooke with her C game. After a rough start I never saw any frustration, or quit. Nice to see her dig deep and snag her 2nd major. 

Heck of a week for Sophia. One inch away from a playoff. 

Would have loved to see Lydia make eagle to grab the clubhouse lead. She was once again a little too errant off the tee. Solid week, though. 

I expect to see Mao on the LPGA in the next year or two. Impressive. 

Still not sure why Charley doesn't play like this regularly. I don't buy the whole US thing. Bring your mates with you. Lol. 

Carlota being Carlota. Never seems to finish. 

Rough day for So Yeon, but nice to see her contend once again. 

Sei Young threw this one away. Again, the course can be like a rattlesnake. Looks tame, but it has fangs. 

Did the customary "Evian Kiss" at the trophy presentation ceremony from previous years (involving the 2 old guys/ tournament directors?) = make an appearance? 😘

Edit: yes it did!

image.png.655c570cc62db4946062c659c5114a66.png

brooke-m-henderson-of-canada-poses-trophy-after-winning-the-the-picture-id1410660033?s=2048x2048

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

They move tees forward every year, and at practically every event, including majors. Men and women.

If you have more obvious points please feel free to keep them to yourself - I’m a beginner, played representative golf but only having followed golf since television came to U.K. masses, c 1957. But thanks anyway. 

Edited by Pastit

From Golf Channel, a no-no in a “ Major “ ? 

“  

Evian Championship officials have waved a magic wand over the 18th hole this year, transforming it from a brutal finishing hole to what they hope is an exciting risk-reward hole full of dramatic possibilities.

OK, it wasn’t the work of a magic wand, but a simple switch in the designation of par was made to add some enchantment to Sunday’s finish.

Now, the experience won’t be so much the grind of watching players trying to avoid the trouble there and salvage par. It will be watching players try to make eagle there. There’s potentially more intrigue with players going for the green in two, with water and bunkers guarding that hole.

“Bogeys won't be winning,” Jessica Korda said. “You don't want to see bad [scores at] finishing holes, especially with the leader. You just don't want to see that. Not good for golf. It's not good for anyone. This is definitely the right move. Very happy.”

The hole has played tough since it was converted to a par 4 before the championship was designated a major back in 2013. “

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was certainly entertaining. Lol. Don't much care for a runaway win, so having a nailbiter with a dozen players with a shot keeps it interesting. Don't understand the criticism of this event. It's a tough mountain course with birdie opportunities, as well as double opportunities. It's not a bomb and gouge fest. Nelly was one over for her back nine. Gotta put a tee shot in play, deal with the hanging lies, deal with the crazy greens, and be a short game wizard to save par. Very few easy birdie putts. Keep in mind that they've been playing this course for years now, so they know the nuances. The better players are going to take adv where they can. 

Anyway, great win for Brooke with her C game. After a rough start I never saw any frustration, or quit. Nice to see her dig deep and snag her 2nd major. 

Heck of a week for Sophia. One inch away from a playoff. 

Would have loved to see Lydia make eagle to grab the clubhouse lead. She was once again a little too errant off the tee. Solid week, though. 

I expect to see Mao on the LPGA in the next year or two. Impressive. 

Still not sure why Charley doesn't play like this regularly. I don't buy the whole US thing. Bring your mates with you. Lol. 

Carlota being Carlota. Never seems to finish. 

Rough day for So Yeon, but nice to see her contend once again. 

Sei Young threw this one away. Again, the course can be like a rattlesnake. Looks tame, but it has fangs. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Did the customary "Evian Kiss" at the trophy presentation ceremony from previous years (involving the 2 old guys/ tournament directors?) = make an appearance? 😘

Edit: yes it did!

image.png.655c570cc62db4946062c659c5114a66.png

brooke-m-henderson-of-canada-poses-trophy-after-winning-the-the-picture-id1410660033?s=2048x2048

My question is why isn't the winner of the Masters groped and molested by Senior ladies 

Every time I see these 2, I think of this guy lol

pepe le pew skunk GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

My question is why isn't the winner of the Masters groped and molested by Senior ladies 

Every time I see these 2, I think of this guy lol

pepe le pew skunk GIF

@Stooch in that “Le Kiss 😘 “ photo... it looks as if they’re holding onto Brooke, so that she can’t run away & avoid being kissed!

• Haha 1

With the 18th hole, I say this as someone who prefers it as a par 4, I get it.  Its' better to end on a positive note than a negative note.  I'm not sure everyone remembers this hole as a par 4 it was deadly, probably among the top 5 hardest holes played on the LPGA each season.  Much nicer for the event and most fans seeing it end with birdies and eagles rather than bogeys and doubles, me I loved the carnage of 18 as a par 4 lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stooch said:

With the 18th hole, I say this as someone who prefers it as a par 4, I get it.  Its' better to end on a positive note than a negative note.  I'm not sure everyone remembers this hole as a par 4 it was deadly, probably among the top 5 hardest holes played on the LPGA each season.  Much nicer for the event and most fans seeing it end with birdies and eagles rather than bogeys and doubles, me I loved the carnage of 18 as a par 4 lol

It was changed in 2019. Anna bogied the hole in her final round when she won prior to the change. At the end of the day they're all playing the same course.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Stooch in that “Le Kiss 😘 “ photo... it looks as if they’re holding onto Brooke, so that she can’t run away & avoid being kissed!

I'm guessing that they don't hand over the winner's check until after Le Smooch. 

• Haha 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Looks like Brooke pulled the pin this week.  Smart choice recharge mentally and go early put in a little more work at Muirfield, she does have a chance at the Annika award now

Also, doesn't a top 10 get you into the next event or are there different rules for co-sanctioned events?  Sophia and So Yeon are listed as alternates.

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Also, doesn't a top 10 get you into the next event or are there different rules for co-sanctioned events?  Sophia and So Yeon are listed as alternates.

Maybe SYR will be in -- and that would be a kind of way for Brooke to assist her in a "win win" situation.  SYR wants the reps so that will be helpful if she wants it.

• Like 1

It was actually quite nice to see both Gaby Lopez and her mom there to celebrate with Brooke, the same with Ingee ... tells me that last year's pairing at the Dow may not have been a sponsor's request (PING) or if it was, a friendship grew out of it.   I liked Brittney's response to Brooke at the end of the celebration when Gaby's mom left her with a near full magnum of champagne . . . something akin to "ooh, look at this"  🙂 

• Like 1