2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Could Tiger be done?

donnygolf

4 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

I've always wondered, of all the coaches to go to, what made him pick Foley? 

I understand this was after the scandal, so perhaps some coaches (or their wives, for that matter) didn't want anything to do with him, but still. Seemed like an odd choice at the time and in hindsight, you're probably correct. May not have had the back injuries. 

Foley seemed to be the hot commodity at the time, and he did have some pretty good success but that swing just looked so unnatural. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

12 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Yes 😢

Swing wise he looks alright but if he is only fit enough to play the majors, then he is just as well not playing at all. There is no way he can get his game sharp enough by practicing and practicing alone. To use his terminology, he needs reps, his leg doesn't seem like it is anywhere near good enough to physically be able to get those reps. Whilst it was so cool to watch him play 16 holes the Sunday before The Open, he looked shocking. I have never seen someone struggle to get the tee in our out of the ground like that. It might have been out of kindness but on more than one occasion, JT picked Tiger's tee up for him. I suspect that JT will know an awful lot more of what Tiger has gone through than we ever will and those little interactions where to me, telling.

I think he spends the next 9 months rehabbing to see how much better his leg can get. It's probably going to be as good as it's going to get by next Masters; heck, it may be as good as it's going to get now. If he can't be competitive, either because he can't swing the way he wants or more likely, because the pain over 4 days is too much to will his way through, he may retire from competition. I don't know that he can be prepared well enough to win basically playing only the majors & I don't know that his injuries are ever going to let him play competitively enough to be sharp & prepared. I don't see Tiger continuing to play if he decides he can't be competitive any more.

Assuming that he gets stronger and heals more during this off-season, I'm not sure why he doesn't play in some of the easier walking events in addition to the majors, particularly some of the Florida swing events.  It's too bad that Harbour Town is right after The Masters - would love to see him work his way around that place.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Age isn't just a number.  His body is a wreck.  And they combine to make it nearly impossible for him to win another major.  And every week some guy captures lightning in a bottle (like Cam Smith last Sunday).  As much as I would like to see him pull a Jack at the Masters, a Phil at the PGA, or even a Tom Watson almost win at the Open, those guys didn't have his wrecked body.

I do think if Tiger had been in Rory's shoes on Sunday he would have closed the deal on Cam Smith.

He could win some other less prestigious tour event, but in his own words he isn't planning to play those.  If over the years he gets to a point where his leg is just an annoyance, he will be near 50.

Personally I think Tiger's career was better than Jack's.  And I think Tiger in his prime would have dominated Jack in his prime.  Tiger's clubs in 1997 were relatively low tech.  People tend to use the only success metric that Jack leads (professional majors).  But Tiger has more total majors if you count amateur USGA titles, more overall wins, that huge no missed cut streak etc.  

I think there is a very small chance he may pick up another Masters or Open Championship in 2024-2026.  

Edited by Naptime
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SheriffBooth said:

Assuming that he gets stronger and heals more during this off-season, I'm not sure why he doesn't play in some of the easier walking events in addition to the majors, particularly some of the Florida swing events.  It's too bad that Harbour Town is right after The Masters - would love to see him work his way around that place.

Has he ever played there? I'm thinking no. 🤔

1 minute ago, golfer07840 said:

Has he ever played there? I'm thinking no. 🤔

It's been a while..

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

I actually think he looked much better physically at the Open.  I also think he still has considerable room to get better physically.  I believe he recognizes that he has to play more golf to be competitive, enjoys the atmosphere, etc.  I could see his schedule in the future looking something like the below:

Farmers

Genesis

Arnold Palmer

Players Championship

Masters

Wells Fargo

PGA Championship

Memorial

US Open

Open Championship

Hero World Challenge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Was speaking more about the back injuries, I realize the injury from the accident is at the forefront now, and arguably may have been avoided if he wasn't dealing with the back stuff.

Hardly arguable... And he has stated the back is not the issue at ALL. I am the biggest Tiger fan but I think he now realizes he can not compete at the level required playing 4 times per year and he has stated over and over that if he does not believe he can win he will not play!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

Hardly arguable... And he has stated the back is not the issue at ALL. I am the biggest Tiger fan but I think he now realizes he can not compete at the level required playing 4 times per year and he has stated over and over that if he does not believe he can win he will not play!

I thought I was being fairly obvious without speculating about impairment but he may not have had the crash were he not dealing with the back recovery. 

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

1 hour ago, cgasucks said:

Tiger will never win another major again let alone be competitive.  Even without his leg injury he's on the wrong side of 40 and there's a crop of younger and longer pros breathing down his back. 

Tiger has nothing to prove.  I think he should retire and coach his son Charlie.

If he never had that accident even on the wrong side of 40 I wouldn't count him out. VJ went on a tear in his 40's. I think Tiger had another win or two in him with a possible Major. Now however I just don't see it. 

Yeah he should probably hang up the clubs and go be a dad. I agree but it's sometimes hard to let go of what you've done all your life

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lowndes said:

I actually think he looked much better physically at the Open.  I also think he still has considerable room to get better physically.  I believe he recognizes that he has to play more golf to be competitive, enjoys the atmosphere, etc.  I could see his schedule in the future looking something like the below:

Farmers

Genesis

Arnold Palmer

Players Championship

Masters

Wells Fargo

PGA Championship

Memorial

US Open

Open Championship

Hero World Challenge

That is way too much golf imo. Tiger can't do back to back weeks anymore lol. I think what we saw this year is the new normal plus maybe a tune up event before the majors. 

Going forward I think this is his schedule if Tiger is fully healthy

Genesis

Masters

PGA Championship

Memorial (maybe)

US Open (his exemption runs out in 2 years and unless given a special exemption I doubt he tries to qualify)

Open

Hero

PNC (??)

Tiger's won't contend every time he tees it up but I still think can give us a lightning in the bottle moment like Nicklaus in '86 or Phil at Kiawah. Personally I'm just happy Tiger is playing again and somewhat competitive (making the cut at first 2 majors is competitive).

If Tiger can get #83 somehow that would be a storybook ending.

7 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

That is way too much golf imo. Tiger can't do back to back weeks anymore lol. I think what we saw this year is the new normal plus maybe a tune up event before the majors. 

Going forward I think this is his schedule if Tiger is fully healthy

Genesis

Masters

PGA Championship

Memorial (maybe)

US Open (his exemption runs out in 2 years and unless given a special exemption I doubt he tries to qualify)

Open

Hero

PNC (??)

Tiger's won't contend every time he tees it up but I still think can give us a lightning in the bottle moment like Nicklaus in '86 or Phil at Kiawah. Personally I'm just happy Tiger is playing again and somewhat competitive (making the cut at first 2 majors is competitive).

If Tiger can get #83 somehow that would be a storybook ending.

He should stop playing the US Open and PGA. No chance and those are the toughest, longest, grinds. 

He should play like 6 x a year in between staying in shape and playing at home. 

Like, play 4 weeks before the masters, then again the week before, then masters. 

Do the same for the open. 

If he’s not strong enough to do that, he’s just playing for fun. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya well, it’s only fair to offset a few of Snead wins like

“For example, five of Snead’s wins came in team events.

The panel decided to include them because of their historical significance, and also to credit Snead for his four wins at Pebble Beach, even though one came in an 18-hole tournament in 1936.

Another was achieved in a 54-hole event at Pebble Beach that ended in a four-way tie, with each player credited with victory rather than return the next day for a playoff.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-woods-snead/woods-and-snead-tied-with-82-pga-tour-wins-but-no-comparison-says-former-commissioner-idUSKBN1ZJ1E2

Now theses are certainly a liberal application of what should be considered a pga tour win. 

But the most egregious was when they awarded Snead a pga tour win for hitting the ball picker 18 times in a row after eating 12 tacos. 

🤣

I don't believe that. I don't believe Snead ate no 12 tacos. 

• Haha 2

I think his best days are far behind him, he was incredible, but father time and numerous injuries have taken their toll. 

• Like 3

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

He'll be done when he decides the work is not worth the pain anymore. Carly he's not there yet, I personally think it will take him a while to give it up.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

49 minutes ago, nicoy3k said:

He got pretty lucky in 2/3 majors I guess lol 

St Andrews is telling how it's gonna be. Completely defenseless and the easiest course he'll ever play

And he skipped Brookline to prepare for St Andrews. 

Then was basically out of it after the first hole

Edited by PorkChopExpress
  • Like 4

Everybody relax, I’m here

40 minutes ago, Str8Putt said:

If he never had that accident even on the wrong side of 40 I wouldn't count him out. VJ went on a tear in his 40's. I think Tiger had another win or two in him with a possible Major. Now however I just don't see it. 

Yeah he should probably hang up the clubs and go be a dad. I agree but it's sometimes hard to let go of what you've done all your life

Totally agree.  If Tiger never had any of those injuries, knee and back surgeries, and still stuck with Butch, he'd would have beaten Jack's Major record long ago and would still be a force now.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Tiger's leg, as a single entity, can be strengthened and built back.  Look at Alex Smith's leg, for example, and he played with big angry men trying to hurt him.  If Tiger's ankle is futzed up, that is a different matter.  Again, IF, his ankle is full of screws, pins and plates, it may have healed, but the motion may be permanently impaired.  He will certainly give it another shot, but I don't see him playing if he cannot be strongly competitive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Totally agree.  If Tiger never had any of those injuries, knee and back surgeries, and still stuck with Butch, he'd would have beaten Jack's Major record long ago and would still be a force now.

Wasn't one of the reasons leaving Butch was the left knee/leg strain his swing was taking on?

His old swing was never going to hold up

• Like 1

Everybody relax, I’m here

5 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Wasn't one of the reasons leaving Butch was the left knee/leg strain his swing was taking on?

His old swing was never going to hold up

Well I meant that if that swing by Butch never affected Tiger's knee and back, God knows how much more he would've accomplished.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."