Could Tiger be done?

donnygolf

I think he just needs more time. I broke my hand August 1 of last year, its been basically a year now, and still deal with the pain/stiffness/arthritis feeling from it every single day. When it's cold out its horrible. And im 20 years younger than he is... I can only imagine what he actually deals with daily on a pain scale in comparison to my stupid hand situation

• Like 1

15 hours ago, donnygolf said:

I wonder. 

Of course, I thought he was done around 2015-2016 after more surgeries and falling asleep at the wheel due to prescription medication. Then he won at East Lake and, oh yeah, another Masters. So, I was completely wrong.

After seeing him limp around at this years Masters and Open I am inclined to think, again, that he is done. I also notice how he speaks about 'the young guys' differently and how he has said he might not ever play a regular schedule. 

Personally, I don't think anyone can just 'show up' and compete to win at any major, which is what he did this year. Maybe it is just a longer recovery? Then his age becomes a major factor.

Interested in your opinions. 

Well, as long as they are not random one-liners I read too often that might be, "Tiger sucks", or, "Tiger is a god".

Can I go with “Stick a fork in him. He’s done…”?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Pinehurst is in 2024. Next year is LACC.

Ah yes my fault. Not sure he can compete with the rough at LACC.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Well he could be. Chronic pain just sucks. 

My opinion what he did at the Open with all the practice and walking did him in before the tournament started. 

He will have to pick certain events where he knows the course really well, Masters. Try and be sharp from prep work. He can go play Augusta as much as he wants before the tournament. Show up Wednesday for the dinner then go play. 

My answer to the Op's question is this: If going forward, he's not able to put in the required amount of practice time due to his physical issues that allow him to stay competitive, then I believe he's done as any kind of factor on tour. You can't be both a part-time golfer and practicer, and expect any serious results over 4 days of competition at that level, no matter who your name is.

Of course all of the above is out the window if he can figure out how to get in enough time to stay sharp without beating himself up. I hope that comes to pass for him, but I wouldn't put money on it.

As someone who suffers from degenerative disc disease, and severe osteoarthritis in both hips, one of which has been replaced, I can guess at the herculean effort he has to make to get his body in decent enough shape to tee it up at all. I no longer can spend the amount of time I'd like on the practice range, so I supplement that by working VERY hard on my short game in an area I built in my backyard. The work I put in allows me to still score reasonably well.....but the time is coming when that won't be the case, and I know it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Naptime said:

Personally I think Tiger's career was better than Jack's.  And I think Tiger in his prime would have dominated Jack in his prime.  Tiger's clubs in 1997 were relatively low tech.  People tend to use the only success metric that Jack leads (professional majors).  But Tiger has more total majors if you count amateur USGA titles, more overall wins, that huge no missed cut streak etc.  

This is an interesting perspective. One stat that stands out to me is that, over ten years, when Tiger teed it up, he won about 30% of the time. Incredible! 

On the other hand, Jack had 19 seconds in majors. Also incredible. 

If there is a topic comparing the two, someone please link it.

13 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Totally agree.  If Tiger never had any of those injuries, knee and back surgeries, and still stuck with Butch, he'd would have beaten Jack's Major record long ago and would still be a force now.

"IF". That small world with such a large meaning.

For instance, IF Ben Hogan had not been in a car accident.

Or, IF Bobby Jones had not retired.

Speculating about what could have been is a waste of time. The OP is about what a possible future might be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, black bnr32 said:

The leg and swing is fine, his short game and putting sucks.  In theory that can be fixed but I’m surprised it’s that bad in the first place.

I would disagree that the leg and swing are fine. On his short game, it's funny that so few have mentioned it, even though I bet everyone has noticed it. It has sucked. And everyone knows that would be due to a lack of practice.

15 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger? Wasn’t he arrested passed out in his car in the middle of the highway and he test positive for opioids, sleeping meds, and THC?

I don’t know how this guy still have driving license. And insurance! Who give Tiger insurance they crazy?!

Not at the scene of this accident.  Even someone who drives impaired the majority of the time does not do it all the time.

6 hours ago, donnygolf said:

I would disagree that the leg and swing are fine. On his short game, it's funny that so few have mentioned it, even though I bet everyone has noticed it. It has sucked. And everyone knows that would be due to a lack of practice.

The lower body action is obviously compromised and I wouldn't expect that to change much moving forward.  With that being said, the swing is effective and I thought he hit the ball well last week.  The clear weakness was on and around the green, far removed from the immaculate execution of the past.  I think his challenge is and will be balancing rest and recovery with playing competitive rounds.  I imagine he is able to practice his short game and putting at home more than anything. How much that is, I have no idea. There's just no true substitute though for hitting shots inside the ropes no matter how much (or little) you can practice.  I think that holds true at every level of golf.  Even if Tiger's physical condition improves significantly, I still think he'll be challenged to execute with consistency around the greens is he's only competing a few times a year.

Well let's be honest, if anyone can come back after all that's happened to him it will be Tiger, however I'm struggling to see how he can win a major when those are the only tournaments he's playing in - at The Open he didn't look in a huge amount of pain - just rusty as hell. 

Whilst it sounds weird me as an 8 handicappers giving arguably the greatest golfer ever advice, he needs to:

- Play more tournaments

- swallow his pride and ask for a buggy like Daly has, seems he could play a bit more often if he could. 

Personally I don't see either of those happening, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. 

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

He may be done winning majors, but I don’t think he’s done competing. With his team he’ll be getting the correct nutrition to heal.

If it’s a chronic pain situation it’s a different deal. He can’t play with a narcotic in his system. You can bet he’s playing with a lot of OTC stuff that is legal. 
So no. Not done yet. 

8 hours ago, donnygolf said:

This is an interesting perspective. One stat that stands out to me is that, over ten years, when Tiger teed it up, he won about 30% of the time. Incredible! 

On the other hand, Jack had 19 seconds in majors. Also incredible. 

If there is a topic comparing the two, someone please link it.

23 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Tiger will never win another major again let alone be competitive.  Even without his leg injury he's on the wrong side of 40 and there's a crop of younger and longer pros breathing down his back. 

Tiger has nothing to prove.  I think he should retire and coach his son Charlie.

Tiger is going to be Vader, more machine than man with all the hardware in him.

Charlie is going to then go win 20 majors. 🤣

• Haha 1

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

He's so far ahead of where they thought he'd be post accident, and he wasnt going to miss teeing up at the 150th. But he wasnt/isnt in any condition to play the tour. Now he gets back to focusing on getting stronger and Augusta 2023. I'll believe he cant win again after he retires

Edited by Tpfol
  • Like 1

According to news at the time, Tiger had a rod inserted into his leg, with plates and screws, there was extensive work on his ankle, and his calf muscle was split because of swelling.  He can't practice his long game enough to be really sharp because his leg/ankle is futzed up, but he also can't spend hours on his short game because he has a delicate back.  He will be 47 next season, and while he has often been superhuman on the course, he is still human.

I cannot envision Tiger ever taking a cart in a serious competition.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

Not at the scene of this accident.  Even someone who drives impaired the majority of the time does not do it all the time.

“Even someone who drives impaired the majority of the time does not do it all the time.“

Is this what Tiger said to his insurance agent before the guy hung up on him?

🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tpfol said:

He's so far ahead of where they thought he'd be post accident, and he wasnt going to miss teeing up at the 150th. But he wasnt/isnt in any condition to play the tour. Now he gets back to focusing on getting stronger and Augusta 2023. I'll believe he cant win again after he retires

That all sounds well and good but even in recent interviews Tiger has admitted that he is just about as recovered as he is ever going to be given the severity of the accident coupled with his age.  This notion that he just needs more time and can get better is wishful thinking.  At this point its like 95% pain management / 5% recovery.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

That all sounds well and good but even in recent interviews Tiger has admitted that he is just about as recovered as he is ever going to be given the severity of the accident coupled with his age.  This notion that he just needs more time and can get better is wishful thinking.  At this point its like 95% pain management / 5% recovery.   

He played in 3 tournaments in 2 years, his game wont magically return without putting in the work. He put in the work to just get himself out on the course and it clearly isnt enough. Now he's recovered as well as he has, he knows where his limitations are. He spent the last year recuperating and trying to get back to the game. Call it 50/50. Going forward, it can be 90/10 with the 90 being game.

I'll believe he's done when he says he's done. No dreaming needed

38 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

“Even someone who drives impaired the majority of the time does not do it all the time.“

Is this what Tiger said to his insurance agent before the guy hung up on him?

🤣

All your Bull does not alter the fact that there was no charge filed and NBC reported there were no signs of impairment. You can titter and cast all the charges you wish but they are just your opinion and prove nothing.