2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Irons

snagy2000

22 minutes ago, lakecowboy said:

I completely agree, they would struggle in the woods going head to head on grass in non biased fittings, their irons are really good but their shaft upgrade costs and shaft selections are atrocious.  Mizuno would run circles around them w/ their shaft selection on green grass.  The wedges don't have enough grind/bounce options to compete w/ Vokey/Callaway/Taylormade/PING in head to head wedge fittings.

PXG's original niche was being ultra premium.  After the Gen 3 COVID price collapse they became the Sam Walton of golf clubs.  Their niche now is fitting the off the rack customers who have never been fitted before.  It's easy to win out on carry/spin/ball speed/dispersion when you go fit the OTR base since they have an expansive fitter network and nothing in golf pro shop/retail.  Even my club, that is one of the bigger PXG sellers in the country doesn't have PXG on the rack in the shop. 

All of these points are so spot on. When they first started I actually respected them and their strategy. Be the super premium expensive brand! Really cool nice irons, mediocre woods. But once they started messing with pricing CONSTANTLY and selling clubs for $79, and only allowing their vendors to make a tiny margin compared to the other brands, it got tough. 

good point about the wedges. They REALLY need more forgiving high bounce options. Your average player is only hurting themselves playing a PXG wedge. 

Also, take the example of the guy bragging about carrying a 7 iron 220. What was the peak height, landing angle, and spin rate??

Those things don’t get discussed in indoor fittings just meant to sell product not help people play better golf. 

Edited by JDSPGA
  • Like 2

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

1 hour ago, JDSPGA said:

Correct. They’d often get beat so they won’t do that. 

I’m of the believe you should never purchase clubs from a single vendor fitting day. Go somewhere where you can hit everything and compare and the true best club for you will rise to the top. If you are happy paying $89/club for irons and cool with constantly sending equipment back, have at it! Doesn’t sound like an enjoyable experience to me.

Actually, not only do they compete with everything else out there, in most cases they perform better or as good. I was fitted for my PXG Gen3 irons outside and compared them to everything else out there. Not sure about the sending equipment back part comes from, but my experience with them from fitting, to delivery, to quality, to customer service has been top notch. Have you ever hit a PXG club?

https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/equipment/best/golf-irons/

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, JDSPGA said:

I’m of the believe you should never purchase clubs from a single vendor fitting day. Go somewhere where you can hit everything and compare and the true best club for you will rise to the top. If you are happy paying $89/club for irons and cool with constantly sending equipment back, have at it! Doesn’t sound like an enjoyable experience to me.

I also have concerns that fitters have certain bias towards certain brands though or that there are different incentives offered between brands. Also fitters typically use just a 7 iron from a mat, so you are left guessing on how they will compare from the rough, etc.

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

My topic was started about the newly released 0211 XCOR2. Not everyone's feelings about PXG, fittings, etc. Never takes long for a PXG thread to fall off the tracks! Let's get back on topic...

Yep, you have to always wade through pages of pricing strategy discussion before you can locate anything about the product itself......

When I hit the previous generation of the 0211 DC (second version overall) I was surprised that I thought they felt as good as any of the more expensive PXG irons. Shape looks good too.

People get put off by the strong lofts but when I tried them had no issues with height or spin. I truly liked them more than the P heads. They perform very well. 

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Actually, not only do they compete with everything else out there, in most cases they perform better or as good. I was fitted for my PXG Gen3 irons outside and compared them to everything else out there. Not sure about the sending equipment back part comes from, but my experience with them from fitting, to delivery, to quality, to customer service has been top notch. Have you ever hit a PXG club?

https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/equipment/best/golf-irons/

I'm glad you got that rare opportunity to hit a PXG product against other brands outdoors. Just know that is very uncommon. 

They are great irons and I sincerely hope you enjoy them! 

Yes. I've hit many PXG products. My Head Pro was a staffer with them and one of my best golf pro friends was the Rep in the area for years. 

I do apologize to the OP of the topic for derailing the thread......let's get back to the main point I guess. 

• Like 2

Chrome Tour

9 hours ago, ShowMe said:

I thought that PXG's business model included having their own fitting facilities?  If that's the case, then how would you be able to fit to them?

Also, lower margins equals better prices for the consumer.  As a consumer, I'm all for that.

It is now direct by PXG.  A few years ago PXG was opening some green grass accounts.  We were one in our area.   Everything was also set to get our fitting clubs etc.  Then they changed the margin for wholesalers to practically nothing.  Then shortly after that they pulled all green grass accounts except for their official fitting centers.  And went 100% DTC.   

This was great for the consumer.  But not so great for those at Green Grass who were probably hoping to by some st wholesale or even PUD.  That’s probably where JDSPGA is coming from.   

I will say the Gen5 and O211DC I bought are the only irons I have paid full retail for in 8 years 😏.  So yeah sometimes we in the industry get a bit spoiled. 

But I don’t blame PXG.  It has worked well for them and they have passed on some of the savings to the consumer.   So it’s a win/win for them.   Yes we can’t order PXG for our players.  But they are fine and just go to their store or fitting center. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I will say the irons are sweet feeling, and they have done a great job with hybrids. Would love to see them figure out the Driver and catch up a bit, and offer a more forgiving wedge that would pair well with the 0211 line. 

Edited by JDSPGA
  • Like 1

Chrome Tour

8 hours ago, JDSPGA said:

Do you honestly believe PXG can’t compete with the major OEM’s? I’m not trying to be offensive, but there’s more than enough evidence out there to prove that’s not the case. Are they better than everyone else? No. Are they just as good if not better than many major OEM products? Yes. 

I do agree with the wedge comment. I’m not sure why they struggle to make a quality wedge. Conversely, I recently bought an 0211 driver for $230 and it’s just as good for me as the TSi2 I bought for $550. 

Edited by Lefty87

6 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

Do you honestly believe PXG can’t compete with the major OEM’s? I’m not trying to be offensive, but there’s more than enough evidence out there to prove that’s not the case. Are they better than everyone else? No. Are they just as good if not better than many major OEM products? Yes. 

Drivers - Yes, still have a bit to prove. 

Fairways - They have good ones, but not versatile enough. 

Hybrids - No they make great hybrids

Irons - No, They make some terrific irons

Wedges - Yes, Not enough bounce/grind combos. Most people shouldn't go anywhere near PXG wedges. 

Edited by JDSPGA
  • Like 4

Chrome Tour

1 hour ago, JDSPGA said:

Drivers - Yes, still have a bit to prove. 

Fairways - They have good ones, but not versatile enough. 

Hybrids - No they make great hybrids

Irons - No, They make some terrific irons

Wedges - Yes, Not enough bounce/grind combos. Most people shouldn't go anywhere near PXG wedges. 

Context: 2.5 hdcp, 40-ish yo w/two little kids (no practice time), longtime Mizuno iron player.  I play Gen 3 P/T combo. They feel nearly as good as my old MP64s but give me more help. I've been thrilled with the purchase - I bought gen 3 after gen 4 came out so cost was a good bit less than my last Mizuno fitting/set from CC. I also have clubs from Callaway, TaylorMade and Cleveland in my bag. They're all good. The quality of offerings across all OEMs has never been better. I'm sure I could play just as well with Mizuno 223, TM P770, or Titleist T100S.

I did have build issues. I always get loft & lie checked and the only set I've ever had show up dead on was one built by CC & it cost me a fortune. $30 fix but sucks.

I think most good players using their irons generally agree with your comments re: PXG's offering in each category. They're still a very young company & building out their product set deliberately. This year's focus has been putters - they now offer as full a putter line as anyone.

RE: wedges, other guys I know gaming PXGs aren't giving up their Vokey or Callaway wedges. Why fight that battle over $180 wedges when you can instead focus on selling more $300+ putters, which is working? IMHO the blade wedge market will go the way of blade putters over the next decade. I switched from Vokeys to CBX ZipCore and will never go back. They're just easy. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:33 PM, Sean124 said:

I was at PXG for something else and my fitter buddy pulled out one of these 7 iron heads and put an X100 in it. I carried it 220 on Trackman. 😄

They do look and feel nice. 

They're so cheap I might just buy a set just to mess around with. I wish the bounce wasn't so high. The black looks 🔥. Those are gonna sell big numbers. 

1 hour ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Demo'd these yesterday and they look and feel very good.

Give us your thoughts, etc if you don’t mind. These compare to what other clubs in your opinion?

thanks 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Personally I love my Gen 3’s. By far the best irons I’ve ever played and I’ve had too many to count. Everything from P790’s to Apex Pro’s, to W/S CB’s to a ZX5/7 combo, these Gen 3’s are still the most accurate and consistent irons I’ve ever had and it’s not even close. Thinking about upgrading to Gen 4’s but I have no reason to.

I don’t love the look of the Gen 5’s though…. kind of a disappointment tbh 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrmikeac said:

Personally I love my Gen 3’s. By far the best irons I’ve ever played and I’ve had too many to count. Everything from P790’s to Apex Pro’s, to W/S CB’s to a ZX5/7 combo, these Gen 3’s are still the most accurate and consistent irons I’ve ever had and it’s not even close. Thinking about upgrading to Gen 4’s but I have no reason to.

I don’t love the look of the Gen 5’s though…. kind of a disappointment tbh 

I agree with 99% of what you said about the irons and accuracy and overall compared to othet irons played. 

But I am the opposite on the looks. I was torn between G3, and G5.  Wanted to go G3 for cost.  I didn’t hate the look of Gen 3  but to me the G5 are much cleaner looking.   

Just an example on how looks can vary so much from individual to individual.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I love me some cheater lofts ! 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Error

Edited by NoTalentLefty

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I need to go to an outdoor PXG testing facility to really see the ball flight and dispersion.  I play Gen 4 and love my irons however I do love the Gen 5 a little more.  I was picking up some wedges and they had the new 0211 at my shop and just hit a few off the mat into simulator and they felt and looked great.   I cannot say how they compare to my Gen 4's or even Gen 5 0311 for that matter but the new 0211's are very very nice clubs.  Thats all I can say right now about them.  The price point is very very good as well...

12 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Give us your thoughts, etc if you don’t mind. These compare to what other clubs in your opinion?

thanks 

I hit less than 10 shots, but I’d say they’re a more refined looking and slightly better feeling update to the previous 0211. 

I’m not sure I could recommend the 0311XP to someone when these exist for less money, and I’m a big fan of the 0311 irons. 

I don’t have comparisons to other irons in this category as I rarely hit GI clubs. My 2 sets are 0311T and Miura blades. 

• Thanks 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

35 minutes ago, Sean124 said:

I hit less than 10 shots, but I’d say they’re a more refined looking and slightly better feeling update to the previous 0211. 

I’m not sure I could recommend the 0311XP to someone when these exist for less money, and I’m a big fan of the 0311 irons. 

I don’t have comparisons to other irons in this category as I rarely hit GI clubs. My 2 sets are 0311T and Miura blades. 

Thanks for that info. I have the OG 0211’s (gave to my son), and currently play the Gen3 P’s, with a back up set of Srixon Z565’s. So these are prob close to all my irons (just a guess).  It’s the color & price that has my attention, plus I plan on going to graphite in my next set too so strongly considering these.  

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 7/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, Lefty87 said:

I do agree with the wedge comment. I’m not sure why they struggle to make a quality wedge. Conversely, I recently bought an 0211 driver for $230 and it’s just as good for me as the TSi2 I bought for $550. 

Wedge struggle makes zero sense... Just copy vokey and sell them direct for $130usd... Cut out the middle man. You can't patent a grind. 

I have an 0211 (2nd gen) sand wedge that I haven't gamed yet...really like the Taylormade HiToe that's currently in the bag.  But the PXG feels amazing--especially it being a cast club.

I am also thoroughly impressed with the Gen 2 hybrid in the bag and the Proto driver.  Best driver I've ever hit, and it isn't even close.

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu