2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood! See What Members Are Saying!

1373414891_CLEVELANDXLHALOHYWOODREVIEWS.png.60cb50b27e6735eb5a093033fdb97383.png

We have five members testing out the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo-Wood! Cleveland created the XL Halo Hy-Wood to give you Fairway Wood distance with your Hybrid swing. This new club can help bridge the gap at the top of your bag and have the chance to test out the Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood. The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

Learn more about the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood here.

The testers are:

@TCRooster

@jtudhsnae

@eric61

@EastpointeCC

@ChipNRun

Big thanks goes out to Cleveland Golf for putting on this member testing event!

• Like 1

• GolfWRX_Official changed the title to MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood! See What Members Are Saying!
9 hours ago, eric61 said:

First and foremost, thank you so much to GolfWRX and Cleveland Golf for this opportunity. 

I took the Hy-Wood to the driving range for the first time this afternoon, and wanted to share some first impressions. First, a little about me so you know where I'm coming from: I'm a 15 handicap (taking lessons and trending down!). Strengths are driver (110ish swing speed) and wedges. Weaknesses are putter and inconsistency on the long end of my bag. My shot shape is a draw with a high ball flight. I've been looking for about a 220-ish carry club, in between my 205-ish carry 4 iron and 240-ish carry 3 wood, and am more comfortable with fairway woods than hybrids. 

Here are some first impressions after today's range session:

TL;DR: It keeps up with a 5 wood's distance and trajectory, it's very forgiving and it wants to go straight. A little offset. Bigger than any other hybrid and bigger than the Apex UW, but smaller than most fairway woods. Sits very upright, and choking down helped.

Distance: The Hy-Wood very nearly keeps up with my 5 wood. At the range, my target was a little hill that my rangefinder said was 221 away. With range balls I knew I wasn't going to get all the way there, but there was a flag 171 yards away, so I could kind of eyeball it based on those two markers. (I'll get more specific data as I continue testing.) The Hy-Wood was landing just a few yards shorter than where my 5 wood was ending up -- if I were to guess, I'd say 190 vs. 195ish, right in the middle of those two markers. Considering that these are range balls, that suggested to me that I'm in the right ballpark on distance. My Ping G425 5 wood typically carries 230ish, and that's a little too close to my 3 wood, so the Hy-Wood being just a few yards shorter is ideal. 

TrajectoryHigh. The Hy-Wood gets up in a hurry. I would definitely compare its trajectory more to a 5 wood than a similarly-lofted hybrid. I had a 19 degree Cobra Radspeed 3H with me, and hit a few with it so that I could get a sense of where this sits in terms of trajectory between a hybrid and a high-lofted fairway wood. Without a doubt, it was closer to a 5 wood's trajectory for me. 

Shot shape/forgiveness: I dare you to try to slice this thing. I wanted to see what happened with this thing on terrible shots -- some intentional because I was trying to test some extreme cases, some not because I just put crappy swings on it. I hit a few really far into the heel. They started left (I'm left-handed), but they did not curve very much at all. Same when I made good contact but left the face open: it would start left on me, as you'd expect with an in-to-out swing path and an open face, but it was NOT curving much. 

Toe shots, or shots where I closed the face and smothered it, were more prone to hooking than heel shots/open face shots were to slicing. But again, not a ton. For the most part, if you put even a reasonable swing on this thing, it wants to go high and straight. It has a big face, and it's forgiving. Hit in the middle and it'll fly like a 5 wood. Miss the middle but make solid contact, and you're going to get a basically good, high, straight shot that doesn't cost you much distance. 

If you want a club you can shape in this spot, to be blunt about it, the Hy-Wood probably isn't for you. If you aren't worried about shaping it, you just want something you can trust in situations where you have a forced carry, or you struggle with fairway woods and need something you can reliably hit a long way, you're who I'd imagine the Hy-Wood was made for.

The shaft and build: We went with the stock Cypher 50g shafts in these -- mine's a stiff. I usually play heavier, X-flex shafts -- GD AD DI 85X hybrid shaft would be my ideal choice here. I'll be honest, it did feel light and whippy. But it didn't seem to cause me any problems in terms of shot shape or timing.

Cleveland says the stock swingweight is D1, and my little cheap-o manual scale shows that's about right. Standard Tour Velvet 360 grip -- one I'm sure we all know, nothing really needs to be added on that.

At address/the adjustment I had to make: This is a good-looking club. Love the matte black, and I like the shade of blue Cleveland uses, too. The accents are classy and not over the top. Two main points I want to make here, though: 

1. There is a little bit of offset. It didn't bother me visually, and didn't seem to negatively affect anything. But I'm not as sensitive to seeing offset as some folks might be. I'll post some pictures below.

2. This has a fairly upright lie angle of 60.5 degrees. Compare that to my G425 Max 5 wood, which is 1 inch longer (41.5" for the Hy-Wood vs. 42.5" for the Ping) and has a stock 57 degree lie angle that I have set flat, and the Cobra Radspeed hybrid, which is 0.5" shorter and has a lie angle of 58 degrees, and you can get the picture. The Apex UW, which lives in this same "not a wood, not a hybrid" category, is the same length and a 57 degree lie angle. The Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood, which is only nominally a fairway wood (143cc's, exactly the same as the Hy-Wood) and fits into this category too, is 0.25" longer and has a lie angle of 58.5. 

I found that choking down 0.5"-1" or so made a HUGE, positive difference in my consistency. Doing so cost me a little yardage, but not much, and it didn't bring down the ball flight noticeably. At about 40.5" instead of the standard 41.5", the Hy-Wood's more upright lie angle starts to make a lot more sense. 

I'm 5'8". If you're taller, or if you count on an upright lie angle to fight slices/fades, then you might have a much different impression than mine here.

What I don't know yet: How much the rails on the bottom help. Gotta get off the driving range and onto the course to find that out!

Next up, taking it out on the golf course. I'm headed to a course I know well. There's a long par 3 that always wrecks my scorecard -- 215-225 yards depending on tee and flag location, often into the wind, with a forced carry to about 185 and nowhere to bail out. If I can land this on that green, I'll be thrilled. There are also three tee shots on tighter par 4s, and three second shots into par 5s, where I think I'll have an opportunity to hit it. 

Now for some photos. I have a few of just the Hy-Wood, and a couple that compare it to the Callaway Apex UW 19* and the Ping G425 Max 5 wood from address. Hope these help.

Happy to answer any questions that these first impressions might spur! 

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

IMG_5907.jpeg

Excellendly detailed first review, thank you.  Looking forward to hearing how this works for you on the course.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Good morning All! I just returned from a week long family vacation to find this beauty waiting for me. Couldn't wait to get to the range first  thing today. I hadn't touched a club in a week so I had low expectations. I am historically terrible with hybrids as I tend to be very steep with my miss being heavy. Subsequently havent bagged one for years. My current gamers are u65 20* 3i and GBB epic sz 13.5. I was excited to try this club as a hybrid, hybrid. My first impressions of the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo-Wood were:

1. Looked great at address. I liked the small head shape

2. definitely sat upright (big concern for me)

3. Felt very light 

I hit about 20-30 balls and was very very impressed. 

1. I've never hit a straighter club. My worst miss was a 5 yard draw/fade. See my last picture. Slightly heavy, slight off the heel and flew high and straight. 

2. Much higher launch than I expected.

3. My concern about the weight of the shaft was unfounded. The club felt very balanced through impact

4. Although, at address the toe seemed to be off the ground (I know, I know, I stand too far away from the ball), I did not see any adverse effects. 

The only cons I've discovered thus far would be workability. From what I could tell my dispersion seemed to be small but I won't be 100% until i get in the simulator or some free time on the course. I wasn't able to dial in any exact yardages yet but will update as we go along. Overall, I have to say that I was BLOWN away by how high and straight I was hitting this one. 

IMG-1221[1].jpg

IMG-1224.jpg

IMG-1222.jpg

IMG-1223.jpg

IMG-1225.jpg

• Like 2

Rogue ST 3D 10.5 GD AD DI 6s

Paradym 3D 15* GD AD DI 7s

U65 20* 

4-P ZX7 Modus 120s

50/54/60 Sm6 KBS $-taper

Phantom X12.5

PROV1 

Again, thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland for letting me be a tester on the Launcher XL Halo HyWood.

The FedEX carton with my HyWood arrived Tuesday, July 26, amid a break in torrential rains. Monday-Tuesday saw 10 inches of rain hit the St. Louis area, with accompanying flash flooding. I pulled the dry carton in from the front porch, and a half hour later the rains resumed.

image.png.7ba986a892ad41e707c0ab71e9048bcb.png

So, this first look at the HyWood will be an anatomy lesson, as I await the soil to dry a bit before outdoor tests. 

image.png.ccf01c5f7a76a695a742a9c04684a977.pngThe 3+ HyWood club fits into the Launcher XL Halo series along with the fairway woods and hybrids. I was planning to make a comparison grid of the family, but the Cleveland crew has already prepared one.

All three Launcher XL Halo clubs feature the largest ever heads in Cleveland fairways and hybrids, twin Gliderail soles, rebound frame, and a hibore crown step to lower the center of gravity. And, all three come standard with the 8-gram action-mass counterbalancing weight in the butt of the club.

The 3+ HyWood sets in the middle of the family of heads with an 18° loft. The shaft is an inch longer than the 3 hybrid, and slightly more than an inch shorter than the 5W. Designers suggest the HyWood allows the golfer to hit down on the shot more like an iron or hybrid, rather than sweeping the shot like a fairway wood.

image.png.470519c1e1b280efd57580e2da9afb11.png

The shaft in the Halo HyWood is a proprietary Project X Cypher 40 Hybrid graphite shaft with a 0.370” parallel tip. It weighs 50 grams in all three flexes, A, R and S, and delivers mid-high launch and spin. I opted for the 5.5 R-flex.

image.png.af27d52f8b1f160307cbc6cb19ae1ca9.png

Cleveland counts on the counterbalancing to give a lighter head feel to the 3+ HyWood and the other Halo family’s larger heads. The crew at Cleveland was kind enough to send my HyWood with a midsize grip loose in the box. So, I actually got to see the 8-gram Action Mass CB (counterbalance) weight insert before the gripping. Stock grip for the 3+ HyWood is the 52-gram Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360.

image.png.2b222dc132cee2c31ea8fcd51cb493fb.png

The area got three more inches of rain on Thursday. Hopefully the ground will dry up enough

today so I can go hit the 3+ HyWood.

More soon!

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I was under the weather this weekend and had to scrap the 18-hole round I'd planned. But I went out for a quick 9 late this afternoon. It's a municipal course near me, really short -- 2,800-ish yards -- and pretty easy. I knew I'd be able to use the Hy-Wood off at least three tees, and that's exactly what I did. 

TL;DR: I continue to believe this thing just wants to go high and straight. It flat-out will not fade, but it also doesn't want to hook. Today I was able to flight it down on one. I used it off the tee boxes without tees, and found that the rails on the bottom seem to make for great turf interaction. 

I'll tell you briefly about each situation and swing:

Fourth hole, short par 4 -- 300 yards. You definitely don't want to go long, and you want to stay out of a bunker on the front right, so something that goes about 230 leaves me a 70-yard pitch, which I'm really comfortable with, and an easy par. That's exactly what I hit. Nice and easy, right down the middle of the fairway, 230 yards. High flight, no curve whatsoever. Just what I've come to expect out of the Hy-Wood. 

Seventh hole, VERY short par 4 -- playing 270 today. The thing here is, you absolutely cannot go more than about 225 off the tee. The fairway pinches down and some uncut, almost knee-high rough juts out from the left. Then the green has bunkers on both sides, and a slope on the back that puts you into the woods. I was into the wind, so I just let it rip. It was another high and straight ball, and stopped a few yards short of the trouble. Couldn't have drawn it up any better.

Eighth hole, 187-yard par 3. This is one where the tee shot is framed by trees that are tight enough that you need to pretty much go right at it, rather than curving it much either way. I wanted to see how the Hy-Wood would do if I took something off it and hit a low one. So I choked down to the bottom of the grip and tried to feel 3/4 swing, hands really low and a shortened follow-through. It actually turned out really well! Landed on the green. It rolled out a bit -- I did find the pitch mark on the front of the green, and counted about 10 1/2 steps from the pitch mark to the ball, which was still on the back of the green. So, we're talking roughly 30ish feet of rollout on a shot that carried about 180-185 and came in lower than the ball flight I've normally seen from the Hy-Wood. I was really impressed. Came a couple inches from making the long putt, but oh well. 

I got off to a terrible +4 start today (that's mid-handicap golf for you...) but played even par on the last 6 holes, thanks in no small part to the Hy-Wood giving me some super accurate shots off the tee in a couple different scenarios. 

I will note, I'm still choking down on it. The lie angle is just too upright for me otherwise. I don't know whether this will find a permanent spot in my bag -- much more testing to do before making that decision -- but I will definitely be keeping it for this 9-hole course, which is an easy place for me to get to for a quick round after work pretty often. I actually think it'll allow me to carry a lighter set. The Hy-Wood can replace both my fairway woods (there are no 3 wood shots on this course and the Hy-Wood replaced my 5 wood in two of the three spots I normally hit it), and can also replace my 4 and 5 irons since I really only need them for that one par 3 tee shot, 5 iron if there's no wind and 4 iron if I'm into the wind. Ten clubs, light carry bag, sounds like a good summer evening.

More to come. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I was able to get out this weekend with the club.

I'm not having very good luck with mine, then again, I have a terrible time hitting fairway woods and hybrids off the deck.

I was hoping this club would help me solve this problem.

The few times I was able to hit it off the deck, it was going the same distance as my 21 degree hybrid. 

I compared the 2 off the tee and found the same distance with both.

I will keep couniting to test it, to see if I can get any better results.

My other Hybrid is a Callaway Diablo 3H 21*.

More to come.

August 1: Test at the Range

I got the range capabilities test done today on the 3+ HyWood. Scenarios included off the deck, medium rough, tee shots and stinger shots. Comparison clubs were a Callaway Rogue 4W and 7W. Specs for all three clubs are shown below.

Model

Club

Loft

Length

Lie

CC

SWt

_________Shaft ____________

Halo HyWood

3+ HyW

18°

41.50"

60.5°

D1

PX Cypher 40 Hybrid R 5.5 (50 gr.)

Rogue

4W

17°

42.75"

57.5°

D2

Aldila Quarante 50-R (55 gr.)

Rogue

7W

21°

42.00"

58.5°

D2

PX EvenFlow Green 5.5 (65 gr.)

Testing  Conditions

The test used good quality fairly new range balls. (Older balls were removed from basket and used for chip and wedge shots). Weather was sunny (finally!) with a gentle headwind breeze. The range has metal survey plates embedded in ground to show distances to target greens. This gives reasonable visual estimate of distance travelled.

image.png.2e7702c0538d4c6f505699937f4ccde0.png

Comparisons

The HyWood had a solid feel to it. The counterweight kept the HyWood from feeling too light. Reminded me of a test of the Shotmaker 83 driver insert I did in 2011 for the Harrison Sports. (RIP, Harrison). The vibration damper included a counterweight plus for the club butt. Driver just felt smoother after the additions.

image.png.b3a6f320934cac56e435075965119fb1.pngThe HyWood worked best in a hybrid-5 iron set-up position than a wood position. Had to adjust my eyes early on. Turns out the topline of the clubhead is a better gauge of square-up than the sole line.

As others have mentioned, the lie at 60 degrees is quite upright for a long club. I choked down a half inch as others have suggested. Like @eric61 I’m 5-foot-8. So, I regularly choke down a half inch on my fairway woods.

Main thing I had to do on HyWood was ensure I rotated torso fully on takeaway. With so upright a club, I did more pickup than rotation on first few shots. With proper torso rotation things started to fall into place.

Especially impressive was the HyWood out of medium rough (~ 2 inches high). It just glided through the rough, didn’t hang up, my hands finished high. Launched well with square face, so easy to set up. Reminded me of old TM Raylor with the boat-hull sole. Problem with boat-hull was you could accidentally get slanted head on uneven terrain. HyWood twin Guiderails tend to prevent this.

4W worked better out of rough with a fade.

The courses I play usually call for a couple of stinger tee shots a round. The 4W wins this one with a lower, hotter shot and when you want good rollout. The HyWood works when you want to stop the tee shot at under 200 yards before the landing area falls off the edge of the world. A sweep-punch is needed to keep the ball low.

Overall Remarks

HyWood launches ball high, and for me was easy to control with a straight shot from an open stance, or a draw from a square stance. Just couldn’t fade ball effectively, even with hand grip and stance manipulation. HyWood would be preferred club out of rough or for tight tee shot. Rogue 4W carries farther, has a hotter face, and has edge for stingers.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jay, My Assistant Tester

Jay Noffsinger, 77, joined me on the range test. Jay is an MD who specializes in sports medicine.

Several years ago he swapped out everything longer than 6 iron for hybrids. He still carries a

4 wood, and among his club mix is a classic Cleveland CG10 58° lob wedge.

After a couple of HyWood shots, Jay found he got more solid contact setting up near mid stance

more like a hybrid. Also he said the club squared up better when the face looked slightly closed.

“I like the feel. With more time to use it, maybe I would prefer it over my 4-wood,” he said.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Like 2

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

August 2 - On Course Performance

Got break in weather, midmorning tee off. Sky was light blue sky fluffed with clouds to lessen direct rays. Sun came out on back nine, but cool and sometimes gusting breeze kept up rest of way.

Used HyWood for four tee shots and five shots off fairway or rough.

• Three tee shots bounced into first cut of rough left, one held left side of fairway. One was a safety shot on a par 5 with tees forward a bit. One partner put his shot in fairway bunker, the other in rough to right. I bounced my shot out to right of fairway bunker.
  • Shots off fairway, two leaked left and two off to right, but had decent carry.
    • Two were uphill shots on par 5 holes. One such shot clipped the trees on right edge of fairway.
    • The other shot needed 190 yards uphill after the tee shot (chance for home in two!) As well-struck ball reached its peak, a gust of side wind killed it right in front of green. But, I put a chip 7 feet from the cup and sank putt for birdie.

I would like to give the HyWood a detailed workout along a five-hole stretch. Off the tee, out of the rough, 190-yard approaches into the green. But, I would need a sunny day when the course wasn't full of golfers (hope, hope).

For the HyWood to be an effective club for me, I would need to develop a special swing for it. Even with chokedown, it tends to go left on me.

Ψ  Backups:

On 8/3/2022 at 10:42 AM, GolfWRX_Official said:

WOW! These reviews are awesome. Really impressed at the level of detail of the reviews thus far. Keep up the great work!

Yeah, putting me to shame. Learning a lot however.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I've gotten a few rounds in with the Hy-Wood and wanted to toss in a third update on my experiences so far. Planning a few more in the near future, so I'll get into much more in depth soon -- just a quick one for now.

Everything I've mentioned before still holds true. I'm still choking down on it a bit. Still find it literally impossible to slice. Still find its trajectory to be more like a 5 wood than 3 hybrids I've played in the past. Some other random thoughts: 

-- Why do we make golf hard on ourselves? This club is just an automatic, brainless 230 straight into the middle of the fairway off the tee for me. All I have to do is hit it pretty much anywhere on the club face. Is it workable? No, it's really not, it's one of the less workable clubs I've hit recently. But "high, straight and long" is something a lot of golfers would gladly take!

-- Shots low on the face are extremely forgiving. The Hy-Wood saved me on one hole a few days ago. My drive was terrible, and I was about 250 out and in the rough on what should've been an easy par 5. Honestly, the swing I put on the Hy-Wood was terrible too. I very nearly topped the thing. But I got lucky and caught the ball low on the face, and got a low riser that carried about 180 yards and ran out quite a bit once it landed, leaving me with like a 40-yard pitch. It was a MUCH better outcome than I deserved on that swing and out of that lie.

-- I'd say this is a higher-spin club. I can get 230 out of it without trouble when I strike it reasonably well, but when I try to get more, I find it mostly wants to go higher and spin more, rather than carry much farther. 

-- Also, when I try to step on it, I don't love the lighter shaft. But for me, shafts that are too loose = slices, because for some dumb reason I react to it feeling loose by holding the club face open in my downswing. And like I mentioned, this club is pretty much impossible to slice. So it hasn't been a huge problem. 

-- That 187-yard par 3 that I mentioned in my last post, where I hit the Hy-Wood off the tee with a partial swing with great results: I've played that hole 3 times now with the Hy-Wood. I'm 3-for-3 landing on a pretty small green. The first time I was playing on a windy day and hit a low one that ran out 10 or 11 yards ... the last two, there wasn't much wind, so I just choked down to the bottom of the grip, took a smooth swing and launched it high. Just stepping it off to get a ballpark yardage, the second time the ball stopped 9 yards from where it landed on the green and the third time it stopped about the same, 8-9 yards from where it landed.

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

First, I apologize for being tardy to the party. Real life threw some stuff at me that had to take priority. The advantage is that I have had time to put up three range sessions and three 18-hole rounds with this club.

Second, I'd like to thank Cleveland and GolfWRX for allowing me to be a part of this trial and review process. It has been a lot of fun, and I hope you get something out of my experience.

Third, and finally, I am not going to post pics. The ones above do the club more justice than my efforts did, so I won't spoil the visuals.

Background: I am right-handed and in my early 50's. I returned to the game last year after about a 10 year absence. Again...real life. I carry a high handicap (currently 23...but I'm working on it!), and have what can generously be described as an inconsistent swing when it comes to both fairway woods and hybrids. In general, I hit woods better than hybrids, but it depends on the day. I am taking some lessons right now to see if I can't find a groove.

The Club: I received the club in stock configuration. I ordered the Regular flex shaft. My initial impressions were highly favorable. This is a good-looking club and is obviously built to a high standard of quality.

• I love the look of the head. The taller face, scalloped crown, and just-right 'tweener size between a wood and a hybrid gave me a visual sense of both power and forgiveness. So, eyeball test passed with flying colors.
  • The shaft, while lighter than I am used to playing in my woods or hybrids, passed the waggle test. It is a good visual match with the head as well.
  • The biggest concern out-of-the-box was lie angle. I tend to play my clubs flatter, as I have a strong natural tendency to miss left. This baby is UP-right! It fits with the overall philosophy and design of the club though, so I tried not to let that get in my head.

The Competition: I play a PXG 0211 5 Wood on the Flat- setting @ 17*. This has the stock R-flex shaft. I picked this up at the beginning of the season after being fit for it at a local PXG store.

Results and Observations: Overall, I am very impressed with this club. I will detail specifics below in various categories. I will admit that I do struggle with the club a bit given the upright lie angle, even when choking down ."5 - 1". I go "left of left" more often than I do with the 0211 5 wood. However, I find that the confidence-inspiring looks, versatility, and overall results with the club mean that I am keeping it in the bag while I work on my swing. It doesn't have a specified role/slot yet, but it may end up with one. In the meantime, I am very happy that I got to try this one on for size! Additionally, I go to the range and/or play with four or five other golfers regularly, all of whom are much better than I am. Three of them were intrigued enough by what they saw me capable of they wanted to try it themselves on the range. All of them handed the Hy-Wood back with a smile on their face, a "thank you," and a determination to seek one out for themselves to see what it might bring to their game.

• Distance - Given how inconsistent my swing is, my distances can be a bit inconsistent too. I tend to hit my 5 wood ~200 - 210 yards total when I am striking it as well as I can. The Hy-Wood was shorter for me for sure, especially when I choked down. Well-struck shots were averaging ~185 - 195 yards total. This is based not just on range "guesstimates" but actual on course results as well. I was lucky enough to play at times where my group wasn't pushed, and the others were happy to let me hit more than one shot when I used both 5 wood and Hy-Wood.
  • Trajectory - This is an area where I struggle a bit with the 5 wood, even though I am a "picker" and tend to be a high-ball hitter with my irons and wedges. So much so, that I tend to lose distance with those clubs. The 5 wood though, especially off the deck...well, that can lead to some hilarious wormburners. Frustrating, but it keeps the others in my foursome amused. Now, with the Hy-Wood, this was not a problem at all. From the very first strike I noticed how much easier it was to elevate. Maybe too easy. I was seeing more than a comfortable number of shots balloon. I know this robbed me of distance and consistency, and the maddening part is I couldn't make it happen, it would just happen, so I can't say when the balloon will show or not.
  • Forgiveness - Here is an interesting criterion. I will say the Hy-Wood was definitely more forgiving distance-wise than the 5 wood. This is even factoring in the random balloon ball. My distances with the Hy-Wood, though shorter, were more predictable. Directionally, I have to give the nod to the 5 wood for forgiveness. Having a flatter to begin with, then being able to dial in a flatter lie angle, and having more time with the club itself, has helped me to moderate my leftward tendencies. The Hy-Wood does not currently fit my swing as well, so it does tend to go left more often and further. On the other hand, I do not worry about slicing with this club at all. Like, ever. Not even randomly.
  • Sound - Solid. Pleasant. Confidence-inspiring. That about sums it up for me. Everyone's ears are different, but mine like the Hy-Wood plenty.
  • Feel - Solid. Pleasant. Confidence-inspiring. Sorry if I sound like a broken record. Blame the Hy-Wood, not me! The feel is maybe a bit more muted when compared to my 5 wood, but I am not good enough for that to matter at all to me really.
  • Off the Tee - Here is one place where the design of the Hy-Wood shows itself for me. As I said, confidence-inspiring. I feel more comfortable over the ball on the tee with this in my hand than the 5 wood. The results were darn good in comparison too. Now, the 5 wood did have an overall edge in distance and directional forgiveness, but...the Hy-Wood is like a woobie for those tee shots where it applies. We will see how this pans out over time, but I would use the Hy-Wood on the tee box without hesitation is the distance was such that the 5 wood would be a bad choice.
  • Off the Fairway - Here is where the 5 wood design turned out to be better for my swing. Overall, I felt okay over the ball and got better overall distance and directional consistency. The Hy-Wood was decent, but in comparison, left me wanting a little more...in comparison (read below).
  • Out of the Rough - Back to favoring the Hy-Wood. The overall more-compact head coupled with the sole design (although the 0211 has rails as well) led to more confidence again and better overall results. The shorter shaft helped here as well, as I felt more control over the head and worried less about duffing or getting tangled up in gnarly stuff.
  • Versatility - If you've read this far, you probably know where this is going. Hy-Wood FTW. However, there is an interesting observation here (at least it was for me). Not only was the club versatile in that it could perform at least reasonably well from any position on the course in which I found myself, but I also found I was comfortable enough to try and either step on it or lay back. With the 5 wood I generally just try to hit the club one way, and don't try to "get a little more" or "take a bit off," I just hit it. So, in theory, this club can not only serve me well in terms of versatility meaning I can hit it from anywhere, but it may also let me cover a wider range of yardages. This is not something I am used to, and as I said, I am working on my swing, so we will see how this plays out.

Phew! Well, there you have it. That's what I know from my time with this club so far, and where I am on my golf journey. I am sticking with the Hy-Wood AND the 5 wood as they both bring enough to the party to be different enough that I can justify it. We will see where this goes, and frankly a lot will depend on whether I can get used to the build of the club to minimize the big left miss, but I like what I have seen so far!

Feel free to ask this hacker any questions you think might help you decide if this club might be a good arrow to add to your quiver!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, testers!  I picked one up and love it!  I’m amazed at how far and straight it goes.  After just a few rounds, I have loads of confidence in it.  It fits a gap between my 21 degree tsi2 hybrid (190 - 200 yd avg) and 15 degree 3 wood.  It’s versatile as you can hit it from the rough, fairway or tee with ease.  The shaft is long but not unmanageable.  It easily fills my 210-220 spot and I even had a few go longer than that!  I’m surprised this club doesn’t get more love as it has been a much needed addition to my bag! I would highly recommend it.  My only con is that I think the face shows wear quickly but that could have been from the range balls I was hitting (however I don’t have that issue with my titleist). 

On 8/22/2022 at 10:18 PM, 10_ft_Jon_Boat said:

My only con is that I think the face shows wear quickly but that could have been from the range balls I was hitting (however I don’t have that issue with my titleist). 

Interesting comment about face wear -- my testing is continuing but I have actually noticed the opposite, I'm seeing very little wear even though the range I go to has pretty crummy balls. Might be location dependent. Are you at a sandy range? That could explain it.

By the way, I really like the matte finish Cleveland uses on these. It's similar to Ping's G425 range, and I like it better than the visual carbon weave that you see on some other matte clubs, such as Callaway and Cobra's current lines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick background to the post-

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the winners Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood give-away. I decided it would be better if I posted my observations and impressions in this thread also so that anyone interested in this club and what members are saying can find the information in one place.

I received the club yesterday and had a chance to do an initial look over but haven't had a chance to get out and hit it yet. Once I do I will post some additional impressions and what my results were like.

First looks-

I have to say that I do like the look and finish of this club. If matte black is something you like in a finish the Hy-wood delivers this in spades. The crown is a nice matte black and is not flashy in any regards with a very pleasing small alignment aid. Even the graphics on the crown are very subdued which is very pleasing to my eye. The crown's step design is very apparent but not extreme or off putting in any way. The Cypher shaft continues the matte black theme and because of this it visually pairs up extremely well with the club head. Size wise the head is more visibly smaller being more compact front to back than my TS2 3 wood but a bit longer heel to toe. While the heel to toe difference is not extreme it is certainly enough to be noticeable. I also find that it is bit longer in this regards than most other hybrids or 3 woods I have owned. At address the look actually inspires a confidence as a result of it being more compact yet stretched heel to toe, both of which emphasizes that this club is a high MOI stick exuding the appearance of forgiveness. The face follows the overall shape in that there is definitely more hitting area heel to toe and while at first glance it might appear that the Hy-wood is a bit shallower than my TS2, when actually measured at the center of the face, the the TS2 came in at 3.2 cm and the the Hy-wood at 3.3 cm. The finish on the face is very similar to the TS2 both being an anodized black which is something I have personally grown to really like on clubs as the darker face seems to help when setting up to the ball.  The glide rails are a nice add to the head and from my experience with other clubs that have had this feature while not magic by any means, they can most definitely provide some assistance out of certain lies.

Taking a few swings without hitting a ball the swing weight is instantly revealed as lighter than that on the TS2. I am guessing that is due to the 8g weight which serves as a counter balance element in the Cypher shaft. You also definitely feel this extra weight in the grip area when you swing the club. The sense I get is not a total loss of feel for where the head is at but one of the head being easier to control during the swing. Worth noting here I suppose is that historically heavier heads can feel like I am struggling to get them to come back to square or slightly close at impact and indeed I tend to have more pushes or fades with them. So again so far I'd say the "ACTION MASS CB" feature as described by Cleveland checks a box for me.

Generally everything about the club right down to the cover speaks of quality and even at first glances it make me wonder why brands like Cleveland are not more popular when it comes to their offerings.

More to come once I have had a chance to hit it and can offer some impressions based on my initial results!

• Like 1

Part II (Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood)

The Range-

I was able to get out and hit this at the range yesterday. I compared it head to head with a TS2 3W, C721 3W and C721 3H. For comparison purposes I hit the TS2 and the C721 3W's about the same distance but the TS2 flies a bit lower so I swap them in and out of the bag depending on the course and conditions for the day. The C721 3H flies a lower for me than either of the 3W's and about 10-15 yards less in distance.

Off the Turf-

The Hy-Wood felt very easy to swing and it did not take much getting used to at all. Within a few swings I could tell that it high and long was going to be the trend for the day. On most strikes, the Hy-Wood flew higher than the TS2 or the C721 3W for me and just as long. Slight mishits were generally longer with the Cleveland and it was apparent that it was more forgiving in this regards. I did catch a couple slightly fat and I could feel the rails help keep the club from digging to any significant degree on each occasion that I did. Extremely well struck shots with the C721 produced the longest results but the TS2 kept pace with the TS2. This did not surprise me as I am not the longest hitter and I probably do not get as much out of a 3W off the turf as someone with a higher swing speed would. Compared to the C721 3H the Hy-Wood getting the ball airborne just seemed more effortless and the shot flew higher by a fair measure. The distance was consistently better. Because of the results, especially those compared the to C721 3H. the Hy-Wood was easily wiggling it's way into my bag for some more extensive play. Shots out of the rough were good but I would say typical for what I would expect from a hybrid. I did think that perhaps the longer profile of the Hy-Wood might feel like it was getting tangled in the gnarly areas of grass but that was not my experience at all. Needless to say that overall I was very pleased with the Hy-Wood results when hitting off the ground!

Off the Tee-

This one baffled me. The results off the tee were surprising. I am not sure why but I simply did not produce anywhere near the same results I did off the turf off the tee. I was much more inconsistent with it, straight shots turned to fades, the flight was lower and I had significantly more mishits. I am sure that this was on me but I could not quite figure it out. The more I hit it the better the results became so maybe it was just something I needed to adjust to but had not done so. (maybe a change in AoA?) Anyway on this day, the 3W's were definitely a much better option off the tee flying higher, straighter and longer.

Overall I think the Hy-Wood is definitely a club that more golfers should consider and try. I do feel that Cleveland does not get the props they deserve and are producing some very good sticks. The Hy-Wood is as good as any hybrid I have tried this year and from my initial impressions I think it can help me off the turf. For now, in the bag it goes for some actual play and time will tell whether it becomes a permanent fixture or not!

Update:

I put the Hy-Wood in play yesterday and I was able to hit two greens from about 180 yds out with it. I did find that the flight was a bit lower than I remembered it to be with a bit more run out which I actually appreciated, due maybe to my gamer ball?  Overall it seemed very easy to get the ball up off the turf and the shots had little variance as far as fading or drawing the ball, this think likes to go straight! I have to say so far I am thoroughly impressed with the Hy-Wood. If you are looking for something to fill a gap in your bag for something between your fairways and your long iron... this club is definitely worth a look and is a super sleeper IMO.

Edited by Dpavs

Final planned update. I've played five 18-hole rounds and have a few range sessions under my belt since my last update. I'll keep checking this thread and I'm more than happy to answer questions or kick things around, but I feel like I've given this Hy-Wood a really solid run and I'll include everything I have left to say in this post. 

Lately this club has slotted really nicely in my bag between my 3W and 7W. Long-term, I have a TSR2 4 wood on the way, and my plan is to go 4 wood, 7 wood, 23/24 degree 5 iron on the long end of my bag. That covers my gaps well enough, and leaves me a spot in the bag to include a utility club -- fairway finder off the tee, something I'm experimenting with, whatever. I will be keeping this Hy-Wood to fill that spot. I won't use it all the time (a driving iron is in the rotation as well), but will use it on some courses and in some conditions. 

I've really been relying on this Hy-Wood off the tee a lot lately. I played one course last weekend with tight fairways and long grass where your hopes of finding an errant ball are slim, and one course with lots of trouble in my typical driver landing zone, so the Hy-Wood was a real go-to. 

It's super, super solid if you're looking for something that's nearly impossible to fade/slice. But I'll repeat an observation I've shared before: Despite its upright lie angle and refusal to fade, it also isn't super prone to hook -- at least in my hands. It really, really wants to go high and straight. It's fairly spinny, and I think that has a lot to do with keeping it on line. When I let it go, I get 230-ish out of this club. But it's easy enough to throttle it back all the way to like 180/185-ish. I wouldn't try it for anything shorter than that.

It's also my go-to on long par 3s, and I've had NO trouble holding greens. The courses I've played lately do have fast greens but we've also had a lot of rain, so that might be helping. Still, I've seen enough to have confidence hitting this into long par 3s. 

The rails are effective. That rain I mentioned has meant some soft, muddy courses. This glides right through. It's a large hybrid shape, so it's no surprise this is effective out of the rough, but I've also come in fat on some tighter fairway lies and the rails have really saved me. Coming in fat obviously = some loss of speed because you're hammering the club into the turf before the ball, but directionally the rails have helped keep me straight and you'd be surprised how little distance I've lost on those shots.

This is a good club that'll help some people. I think it's for anybody that struggles with the length of fairway woods, or anybody who dreads fades/slices. It's also for anybody who is taller and might like a longer shaft and a more upright lie angle in this spot in the bag. It's easy to hit high, it's super forgiving, and it does spin enough that it's effective into par 3s. It is NOT for somebody skilled enough to want to work the ball regularly. I'm not saying it's impossible -- but this club will fight you. And since there's no adjustability in the hosel, it's not for somebody who needs a flatter lie angle. 

Thanks again to GolfWRX and Cleveland Golf for this opportunity. If anybody has questions, let me know!

Edit to add one thing I forgot to mention: Pros to Cleveland for making a club that holds up to use and abuse. I've hit this a lot and it's showing very little wear. I can compare that to fairway woods from Ping and Titleist that absolutely show more wear on their faces, especially after beating range balls. 

Edited by eric61
  • Like 4

After a few rounds now I have to say I am super impressed with the Hy-Wood. I continue to find this to be my new go to club when I am sitting about 180-190 out. The center of the face just seems super easy to find. I also am finding that for me at least, it does not launch super high. The flight I get is more like what I would expect to see from a 4 iron. It bores through the air very well with a fair amount of run out. So in this aspect it performs more like a fw than a hybrid for me. Probably more down to my swing than anything else but I get a pretty straight shot with a very small amount of fade to it or just one that is super straight.  I would really like to add a higher lofted version of this to the bag and will be looking into a custom build on a 4 hybrid that is at +1".

Edited by Dpavs

On 9/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, eric61 said:

If anybody has questions, let me know!

What is your driver swing speed? Transition? And what shaft/flex did you go with?

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

2 hours ago, sm_watts said:

What is your driver swing speed? Transition? And what shaft/flex did you go with?

My maxed-out driver swing speed is 113ish. Moderate transition; I’m constantly working on slowing it down and have succeeded at least a little bit. On the course, a couple ticks below that. I went with a stiff flex stock shaft — we went with the stock shafts on these so my only real choices were regular and stiff. It’s definitely lighter and looser than I’d have chosen, but it held up better than I thought it would.

I won this in the giveaway and finally got the chance to try it out yesterday.

First impressions: The thing is just flat out easy to hit, easy to elevate, easy to keep in the ballpark.

I want to get on a launch monitor with it but i'd guess i was carrying it around 240. I've been toying with the idea of taking 3W out of the bag and lofting down a 5w, and i think this club may make that decision easier. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

On 9/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, dfeldss said:

I won this in the giveaway and finally got the chance to try it out yesterday.

First impressions: The thing is just flat out easy to hit, easy to elevate, easy to keep in the ballpark.

I want to get on a launch monitor with it but i'd guess i was carrying it around 240. I've been toying with the idea of taking 3W out of the bag and lofting down a 5w, and i think this club may make that decision easier. 

The Hy-Wood kicked my 3W to the curb off the fairway and in honesty... it probably could do the same off the tee. It definitely feels like a very easy to swing 5W and performs at that level for me for sure.

6 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

The Hy-Wood kicked my 3W to the curb off the fairway and in honesty... it probably could do the same off the tee. It definitely feels like a very easy to swing 5W and performs at that level for me for sure.

I think i'm going to loft down my 5w to 16.5 replace 3w and keep this in the bag. 

I think my worst shot with this is better than my worst with something else in this category which is what im looking for out of this spot in the bag

• Like 1

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a final update. The Hy-Wood has been in the bag for over a month now and it will not be leaving. It really has become my favorite long approach club to hit. I had been so frustrated trying to find a 3 wood I could hit consistently enough off the deck to have any confidence in but just couldn't get comfortable with them. With the Hy-Wood I finally have a 190-200 stick in the bag that I feel confident with time after time. Such a good club for me. If you are even thinking about trying this out as a long hybrid or wood replacement... my advice would be to not hesitate at all. It just might be the club you are looking for! Thanks again to GolfWRX because in all honestly...I very well might not have tried this one out otherwise.

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Question:  I'm buying a Hywood and cannot decide on the R or S flex shaft.  My driver SS ranges 92-95.  I have a 21* Maltby HyWay with a R flex MPF Pro shaft that runs a bit of a Stiff Regular.  My Ping G30 3H has a R flex.  Driver has a 55gr. S flex and irons have KBS 85 Max S flex.  

Does the HyWood generally run a stiff R or a soft S?  no one in my area has it in stock.  Buying online from online retailer.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:33 AM, wantacigar said:

Question:  I'm buying a Hywood and cannot decide on the R or S flex shaft.  My driver SS ranges 92-95.  I have a 21* Maltby HyWay with a R flex MPF Pro shaft that runs a bit of a Stiff Regular.  My Ping G30 3H has a R flex.  Driver has a 55gr. S flex and irons have KBS 85 Max S flex.  

Does the HyWood generally run a stiff R or a soft S?  no one in my area has it in stock.  Buying online from online retailer.

I have it in a stiff flex and I'd rate it between R and S flex. I don't have a fast swing speed at all and have no issues with the S flex.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...