PXG Gen 5 Driver Users/Reviews? X or Xf Model?

avidgolfer23

Took my 0211 in to compare with gen 5. Numbers were almost the same but for 249 had to pull the trigger. After 2 weeks the gen 5 is a least 10-15 yards longer feels so soft and very muted coming off the face. I’m very pleased playing at 44.5 

• Like 2

PXG 0311 gen 5 9 Tensei Blue 60
PXG PROTO 15  Tensei Blue
20 and 24 Tour Edge Exotic KBS hybrid
5-6  Wilson Staff D7 forged $ taper lite black 2 weak
7-PW Wilson Staff CB $ taper lite black 1 strong
50 55 60 Wilson Staff Forged $ taper 

PXG Bat Attack 37 1/2 Dead Eye Shaft 

TM Tour Response W S Triad

Gen 5 driver is the best I’ve ever hit.  It’s long, forgiving, and seems to protect against the left miss, which is huge for me.  It sounds and feels fantastic.  From the first swing, I have been impressed, and I seem to hit it better every round. I have never been a PXG fan, and in fact was underwhelmed with their clubs I had tried previously. I have been blow away by the Gen 5 driver, though, and the Gen 4 0311STs are firmly in the bag. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 9:31 PM, stimpmeterp said:

The 0311XF is definitely an anti left driver.  Wowza.  That’s my miss and I almost can’t hit a draw with this head.

Ordered the raw blue 6 stiff and was getting some really flat almost knucklers today.  If the fairways had any run in them I’d be pleased but it’s been raining a ton and everything is spongy.

More soon.  Mine is 9° and I can’t see myself opening this face for less loft. 

My miss with the Gen 4 was a pull left, sometimes even the "starting left and going further left" type. Which has NEVER been my miss. My miss has always been a high right shot. With the Gen 5 I'm not sure I've hit any low pully ones left. I have hit a lot of high right ones, which is just something I need to work on. The sound of the Gen 5 is really nice. The sound of the Gen 4 was atrocious. 

Still won’t go left.  Just haven’t been able to dial this in yet and the miss is high and right.  I’m confused because that’s not my miss with the raw blue.  I am going to crank the head up a half degree or one degree to see if it’s a spin issue.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

26 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

Still won’t go left.  Just haven’t been able to dial this in yet and the miss is high and right.  I’m confused because that’s not my miss with the raw blue.  I am going to crank the head up a half degree or one degree to see if it’s a spin issue.

The “dot” setting should be the most draw biased setting.  The “PXG” setting should be the flattest most fade biased setting. 

Was able to play it on a trip to the east coast on what I would consider a tight course with a fair amount of wind.  The Gen5 driver just flat out performed.  Really, really happy with this club.  Also, as an aside, I picked up the 0211 3 wood and hybrid in the same shaft as the driver just to try them out and they knocked it out of the park as well.  Will be retiring all my Callaways…

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

currently playing the LTDX, looks like the Gen5 X has knocked out 

-both callys from this year and last year 

-g400s

-gen4 0311

very impressive but has anyone compared this to the big dogs of this year? TSI3, LTDX LS and Stealth+? Im a higher* launch and higher* spin player but really love the look of the gen5. Shaft I will be using will either be a Ventus TR black 5x or TZ5 60x

Posted this in the other PXG threads too.  I did leave out that I was a complete and utter PXG hater.  The first three people I ever played with that had their clubs were complete and utter D-bags.  This was at the height of the PXG's are the most expensive clubs made.  You know the guys with the giant Rolex.  Highest cost clothes you can find.  Drives a Porsche, thinks they are awesome.

A couple of guys at my club that are the opposite of this person, have gotten PXG clubs.  I've hit a few of their irons, and a couple of wedges, but the commercials are still comical.  The owners support for the military and others is awesome, but just couldn't do it.

I read the big GEN 5 thread and then the GEN 5 drivers dropped to 299 for a week and still had a 60 day guarantee on them so I figured I would order one, positive that I would send it back.......well, maybe not.

==

Mine arrived last week and through a bunch of horrible circumstances my first chance to hit it was Sunday.  Hit ten balls on the range with it after my normal warmup and was ready to go.  I have the standard 0311 Gen 5, 9*, ordered and measured to be 45" with a Diamana S+ 70x.  This was the shaft that with other heads I had the best results with off the no upcharge list.   I have a Diamana 60x and a Rogue 130MSI TX white I can use as well.  This round was played with the stock Diamana S+.

About me, 115-119 swing speed, played D1 college golf.  46 years old, recent wrist surgery, handicap back down to just under a 2.   Driving and putting typically are the best parts of my game, but driver has become inconsistent over the last 6 years.

My course:  27 holes.  9(1) can hit driver twice 9(2) I can hit driver twice 9(3) I can hit driver (forcing it) 6 times.  The other two nines I could force it one other hole, but would have to hit a huge draw or slice, or cut a corner with a fairway that runs away from the tee box towards danger.

I played 18, nines (1,3).  Hit driver 8 times.

1st - Not a great swing, caught it on the toe a smidge, decent flight, still went a long way for how far off I hit it.

2nd - Good swing, hit well.  Was about the average of other good drives.  Other drivers have gone longer.

3rd - Hit well, went as far as best drivers ever have considering it was into the wind a smidge.

4th - Hit OK, still good distance, a smidge off the heel.  I never hit driver on this hole, so hard to tell difference.

5th - POUNDED, longest drive I have ever hit on this hole.

6th - HORRID SWING, big pull hook.  Last second( I didn't want to miss right, my normal miss) I thought don't miss right.

7th - Hit OK, landed into a hill, edge of fairway.  A bit shorter than normal.

8th - Hit well, but a bit higher flight than I would have liked, about the average location for most of my drives.

Observations - Definitely not the longest, which I wouldn't want anyway.  Getting spin too low is a recipe for disaster for me on my misses.  I with my Epic MAX LS, Ping G410 Plus, and G400 Max I played previously I had a tendency to over cut a driver now and again or just miss it right even on swings that I felt were pretty good.  I tried to make 85-90% swings all day, and when I do it just wants to go straight.  When I think about trying not to miss a shot, like most drivers it goes poorly.

I know it is the first round, and honeymoons and all of that, WITH THAT BEING SAID......

I have not had a driver that was more point and shoot than this one.  The G400 wasn't quite this point and shoot and even with some changes still had too much spin.  The G410 Plus was much the same, with less spin than the 400, but more offline than it as well.  The Epic MAX LS was very forgiving, but borderline too low spin for my misses, and even with multiple headweight and shaft changes(using Howards guide) I only had one round where I felt this confident with a driver, and that was on a much more open golf course without as much trouble, where I was able to hit driver 13 times. 

By my 4th shot in Sundays round with the PXG, a hole with a huge lake up the right, and I normally layup with a 4 iron or hybrid, I felt confident in pulling driver.  The 5th has a creek on the left and a swamp on the right(Really close to the fairway).  Confidence.  Last two times hitting my previous driver on these holes I put balls in the water.

The 6th hole has a creek left and a swamp right, and the fairway slopes towards the swamp, so missing right is a no, no.  I let good drives just a bit right with previous clubs jump into my mind and horrid swing.(pull hook into the creek)

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 9/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, BCULAW said:

Gen 5 driver is the best I’ve ever hit.  It’s long, forgiving, and seems to protect against the left miss, which is huge for me.  It sounds and feels fantastic.  From the first swing, I have been impressed, and I seem to hit it better every round. I have never been a PXG fan, and in fact was underwhelmed with their clubs I had tried previously. I have been blow away by the Gen 5 driver, though, and the Gen 4 0311STs are firmly in the bag. 

the 0311st irons have been such a game changer it’s make me want to look at the Gen5 driver and go PXG through the bag 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, BCULAW said:

Funny as your post is identical to my thoughts word for word. ST's best irons I have ever played. Driver (I have the 7.5) is brilliant as well. My miss is thin and this driver excels with it. Plus shape and colorway are tuff to beat...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

5 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Funny as your post is identical to my thoughts word for word. ST's best irons I have ever played. Driver (I have the 7.5) is brilliant as well. My miss is thin and this driver excels with it. Plus shape and colorway are tuff to beat...

What shaft do you play in your 7.5? Spin wise what head does it perform most like?

1 minute ago, Tommyboi95 said:

What shaft do you play in your 7.5? Spin wise what head does it perform most like?

KAI'LI WHITE 65TX... TO me it feels like a TM head and spins like a Ping head...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Just now, Tommyboi95 said:

Damn….I bet that thing is a BEAT STICK

I am 51 and not super fast anymore not even close. swing speed is 111 mph I am in to out too much -4 and my AOA is +8 (too much). I put a 20gram weight in the back of this head with 2.5's on the sides. I play it at 44.75" at D5. My cally driver was longer (not by much) but all around this 0311 x set up is the best since my G400max hands down.. The back weight has made a HUGE difference for me in this set up... I can turn it over when need be but it is not hooky...

• Like 1

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

1 minute ago, Wardonation said:

I am 51 and not super fast anymore not even close. swing speed is 111 mph I am in to out too much -4 and my AOA is +8 (too much). I put a 20gram weight in the back of this head with 2.5's on the sides. I play it at 44.75" at D5. My cally driver was longer (not by much) but all around this 0311 x set up is the best since my G400max hands down.. The back weight has made a HUGE difference for me in this set up... I can turn it over when need be but it is not hooky...

See I’m a young buck, 27  112-114 SS but have normally been a high launch high spin guy. Currently playing the Cobra with a Diamana DF 60 stiff (they didn’t have ant Xs on the van when my buddy got me one) but tipped an 1.5”. With the cobra my launch is around 12-13 but spin can drop below 2000. Got a VB TR coming in tomorrow and I’m scared that it’s gonna be too low spin. That’s why I think the PXG would be a solid fix 

1 hour ago, Tommyboi95 said:

See I’m a young buck, 27  112-114 SS but have normally been a high launch high spin guy. Currently playing the Cobra with a Diamana DF 60 stiff (they didn’t have ant Xs on the van when my buddy got me one) but tipped an 1.5”. With the cobra my launch is around 12-13 but spin can drop below 2000. Got a VB TR coming in tomorrow and I’m scared that it’s gonna be too low spin. That’s why I think the PXG would be a solid fix 

You would better off with a TSR2 than PXG head. TSR2 will spin more than PXG.

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I bought a gen 5 driver at the end of the sale for $250 free shipping with the military discount.  

Bought it to compare to my Nike Vapor Fly that was turned down to 8.5 degrees with a tensei white shaft

Got the standard gen 5 in 7.5 degrees with the same tensei shaft.  I have been playing it turned down to 6 degrees.

I really like the look of the driver and the sound is improved over the 0211 I tried earlier in the year.  Since I am a bit flippy the lower loft is giving me better ball speed and smash factor.  It seems much more forgiving than my nike as well and I am seeing a 20 yard jump in distance on good hits I believe.

I was a slicer for a long time but over the past year I have turned it into a draw and rarely miss right anymore.  However like others have said in this thread I can't hit a draw with this driver.  My slice is back.  

Learning from this thread I'm seeing that turning it down 1.5 degrees flattened the lie angle 1.5 degrees.  I'm going to try to adjust it to the -1 setting which only adjusts the lie angle .5 degrees.

I'm also going to try to play with the weights.  If I buy the weight kit and add more weight to the heel it might help close the face.

Any other suggestions on how to fit this thing to me better?

12 hours ago, brian25 said:

I bought a gen 5 driver at the end of the sale for $250 free shipping with the military discount.  

Bought it to compare to my Nike Vapor Fly that was turned down to 8.5 degrees with a tensei white shaft

Got the standard gen 5 in 7.5 degrees with the same tensei shaft.  I have been playing it turned down to 6 degrees.

I really like the look of the driver and the sound is improved over the 0211 I tried earlier in the year.  Since I am a bit flippy the lower loft is giving me better ball speed and smash factor.  It seems much more forgiving than my nike as well and I am seeing a 20 yard jump in distance on good hits I believe.

I was a slicer for a long time but over the past year I have turned it into a draw and rarely miss right anymore.  However like others have said in this thread I can't hit a draw with this driver.  My slice is back.  

Learning from this thread I'm seeing that turning it down 1.5 degrees flattened the lie angle 1.5 degrees.  I'm going to try to adjust it to the -1 setting which only adjusts the lie angle .5 degrees.

I'm also going to try to play with the weights.  If I buy the weight kit and add more weight to the heel it might help close the face.

Any other suggestions on how to fit this thing to me better?

You'll want to turn it "up" and not "down" to get the face closed for a draw.  However, good luck!  I have a natural draw after shoulder surgery and can't hit a cut without looking like I'm doing a tribal dance.  This driver doesn't want to go left.  It's crazy.  And I'm not talking about the snappy duck hook thing we're all capable of - I'm talking about a controlled draw.  If you can pull that one off, it will be quite the feat.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

On 9/14/2022 at 10:12 PM, stimpmeterp said:

This has been my experience too. Everything is staying out to the right. It appears the standard setting is the most closed. According to the adjustment chart and the video, even if you loft up it will open the face. 

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

38 minutes ago, sofla said:

This has been my experience too. Everything is staying out to the right. It appears the standard setting is the most closed. According to the adjustment chart and the video, even if you loft up it will open the face. 

Wrong. Also, heavier weight in toe & back will help promote a draw.

5 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Wrong. Also, heavier weight in toe & back will help promote a draw.

you have it backwards. heavier weight in the heal promotes a draw. As for the loft adjustments, look at the diagram and video. 

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

35 minutes ago, RH82 said:

Which model is the least draw bias?

non XF...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2 hours ago, avidgolfer23 said:

Don’t you want the weight in the heel to promote a draw?  Not the toe.  Look at the settings on a stealth plus or any other adjustable driver.

I went with a 20 gram in the back 2.5's on this sides and now I can turn it both ways no problem...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I am liking this setup. More of a bomber vs the stock. Getting it dialed in. I definitely enjoy impact with this driver. Rewarding is the word I’ll use to describe it.

The funny thing is the swing weight with this build is D5.5 and I usually play drivers at D0-D2. I guess I could trim the shaft a 1/2 inch but if I keep hitting it like I am, I am not changing a thing! Feels heavier for sure, I can really feel the head whipping through. I did grip down about 1/4 inch. It all seems to work. It is for sure the longest driver I have put in play because it has the best control and mishits produce very playable drives. 

3D44E119-085C-414E-8A2B-E05DC89B65CF.jpeg.974e5f52acd7850307a6260499439525.jpegF69DFC23-E732-420A-BDBC-93A66591E6D6.jpeg.733f290089bb37c310549ee163375d85.jpeg

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches