LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Not needing to make a profit is the 

reason for LIVs total failure

Clearly the objectives are to be successful in terms of fan interest. I mean, if not, then they have succeeded 🤣

But if the goal was to have success as measured by growing a fan base, each year they fail more.

The more they spend the worse they fail!

Had they set out with strict milestones on measurement of success vis a vis their balance sheet, they would be far more successful 

What's interesting is some say "it doesn't matter if LIV ever becomes profitable."  OK that's probably true.  But there must be some other return they're looking for, right?  Things that come to mind are to; gain the respect of the golf world, gain acceptance of the sports world, garner favorable publicity for the kingdom and change public opinion--- all by capturing the attention of more and more people in a favorable way.

However they are failing miserably. With each big name for GIANT MONEY that gets signed there is NO DATA that supports increased interest in LIV.  In fact the opposite is true. Beyond blips of controversy that generates chatter, they are disdained or being completely ignored.

I challenge anyone, even a LIV bot to tell me I'm wrong. But you're gonna have to produce some real data that say's otherwise, because feelings don't count.   I published data further up in the thread to support my statement so no need to do it again.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

To your point about adding big names for GIANT MONEY. I had zero interest in starting to watch when they bought JR. Actually the most I watched was when they paraded AK out there. Not even really an AK fan, was just curious. 

Yup, I had to check out AK because I was curious. It was also the only time I checked on LIV.

I wish AK nothing but the  best and don't begrudge him or anyone else that took the money. As long as they didn't bash and lie about their previous organization in order to justify the move instead of just being honest and saying "yeah it was about the money"  they're ok. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yup, I had to check out AK because I was curious. It was also the only time I checked on LIV.

I wish AK nothing but the  best and don't begrudge him or anyone else that took the money. As long as they didn't bash and lie about their previous organization in order to justify the move instead of just being honest and saying "yeah it was about the money"  they're ok. 

Pretty much my take as well. Literally talking to someone on Wednesday about it. We both agreed that a guy like AK taking however many million is totally understandable. On the flip, a guy that’s already flying private and will never want for anything… Not so much. But hey, they say greed is good and I try to not judge others for what they feel is right for them. 😊

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

What's interesting is some say "it doesn't matter if LIV ever becomes profitable."  OK that's probably true.  But there must be some other return they're looking for, right?  Things that come to mind are to; gain the respect of the golf world, gain acceptance of the sports world, garner favorable publicity for the kingdom and change public opinion--- all by capturing the attention of more and more people in a favorable way.

However they are failing miserably. With each big name for GIANT MONEY that gets signed there is NO DATA that supports increased interest in LIV.  In fact the opposite is true. Beyond blips of controversy that generates chatter, they are disdained or being completely ignored.

I challenge anyone, even a LIV bot to tell me I'm wrong. But you're gonna have to produce some real data that say's otherwise, because feelings don't count.   I published data further up in the thread to support my statement so no need to do it again.

At this point I don’t think there can be a deal unless both Jay and Norman depart from their jobs 

ARum will not put LIVs fate in Jays hands

And SSG/the tour won’t work with Norman as CEO of LIV

They need a new CEO who ARum is confident will commit to trying to make LIV successful. But who ARum will also listen to if he tells him to do things to restructure LIV 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Not needing to make a profit is the 

reason for LIVs total failure

Clearly the objectives are to be successful in terms of fan interest. I mean, if not, then they have succeeded 🤣

But if the goal was to have success as measured by growing a fan base, each year they fail more.

The more they spend the worse they fail!

Had they set out with strict milestones on measurement of success vis a vis their balance sheet, they would be far more successful 

I guess it has not sank in after all these years for many. PIF has never once said they care or are worried about profit.  (Sad but true)

This is not about a profit at this stage.  It is about the "long term play" as they have noted countless times over.   

PIF pretty much has an endless cash supply, they can keep at this game as long as they want. (I figure until they get bored) 

The one thing TIME does will wear down the fans which is has which will wear down the PGAT.   It is already happening.   

We all know the pgat events are down on viewership. The Masters which I would never have expected was down 20% as we know.   

"The more they spend the worse they fail" .........do they though?? on the surface it may look that way.

Question?  Do you think Jay M (since many defend him)  and more the SSG collective would not know what might happen? The SSG members are very savvy business people and heavy in Pro sports so they 110% know what they are up against. 

All of the PGAT side have stated the deal with SSG was done with the intent of PIF being part of the structure.

I guess how you look at it you could say LIV has "FAILED"  but that is just opinion to hide the facts: 

3 years ago everyone said LIV would be dead in less then a year. Not even get off the round and yet they did.   Even signed few more players going into year two.   

Year two comes along and all the comments turn too "okay this is the year LIV dies, no way they will make it" or "They can not sustain this with not making a profit".  YET they chug along as planned and adding in for fun right in the middle of year two of LIV in June...after all the comments the PGAT would NEVER make a deal with PIF... ..... well we know how last June went.... 

Now we sit year three and 6-7 months ago comments were "Okay THIS is the year they die, they will never sign a top player again"  Turn around and sign Rahm, Hatton, Meronk, etc. and all events going off as planned. 

adding to that, PIF gets the meeting they wanted 3+ years ago with all key Pgat players and directors which was set up by Jay...!  The players saying it was a positive meeting and a number of them stating they hope they can get the deal done.

So have they really failed?  

Edited by CDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Sportswashing, pure and simple.  G Mac got in more than a little trouble for basically saying that's what it was and he was proud to support it back when things got going, lol, and the talking points and things coming out of the LIV outfit changed pretty dramatically.  

And yep, huge miscalculation about what $$$$$$$$$$ would do in golf and IMO listening to guys with axes to grind like Norman and Phil (frankly, primarily listening to them) who really didn't have any real intelligent plan for what to do with players if they got them in terms of a marketable product.  They were greedy, just like the "masters", and couldn't see past their own alliance with them to gut the Tour and get even for whatever.

Flawed all the way around.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

At this point I don’t think there can be a deal unless both Jay and Norman depart from their jobs 

ARum will not put LIVs fate in Jays hands

And SSG/the tour won’t work with Norman as CEO of LIV

They need a new CEO who ARum is confident will commit to trying to make LIV successful. But who ARum will also listen to if he tells him to do things to restructure LIV 

I agree Norman must go but I don't know enough about Jay to say. Even if Jay resigns there's no guarantee that LIV won't be killed off by his successor.  At this point I think the tour has shown it can wait it out.  LIV will keep throwing money at it but no matter what they've only demonstrated they can't grow a following.  Plus the longer this goes on I see it only increases the disdain for LIV. 

Again I invite the LIV cheerleaders to show some data that what they've done to date has been successful.  Aside from a bit of traction in AUS it doesn't come with any meaningful market size. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Sportswashing, pure and simple.  G Mac got in more than a little trouble for basically saying that's what it was and he was proud to support it back when things got going, lol, and the talking points and things coming out of the LIV outfit changed pretty dramatically.  

And yep, huge miscalculation about what $$$$$$$$$$ would do in golf and IMO listening to guys with axes to grind like Norman and Phil (frankly, primarily listening to them) who really didn't have any real intelligent plan for what to do with players if they got them in terms of a marketable product.  They were greedy, just like the "masters", and couldn't see past their own alliance with them to gut the Tour and get even for whatever.

Flawed all the way around.

I make “jokes” and leave it to you smart guys to post the nuts and bolts. 👏🏼 

Edited by TiScape
  • Haha 1

It's going to take a bit more time, but the sportswashing in golf is slowly working.  It's only been about 2.5 years, but we're now seeing LIV results being scrolled on mainstream sports tickers, and post-event articles being written about the winners.  Sponsors are starting to advertise on the CW TV coverage, and not just generic stuff.  I'm talking Skechers Golf shoes ads followed by PXG golf equipment ads.  It's not much in comparison to traditional PGAT levels of coverage by any means, but year three is a lot more than year one for "acceptance."

I've watched F1 for 40 years.  About 10-15 years ago, they started to abandon traditional western euro country events because many of the state owned tracks couldn't/wouldn't pay a huge sanction fee that the then Czar of F1 Bernie Eccelstone wanted from tracks.  So they stopped racing in France and some German tracks, and they instead started going to China, Russia, Azerbaijan, and the middle east.  There were articles and organizations calling out F1 for sportswashing when they first went to China.  Welp, after a brief covid-related hiatus, F1 is back in China this weekend.  And they have raced in Saudi Arabia a couple years in a row now.

I'm on a race-heavy auto forum, that has a PGAT/LIV thread.  Very anti-LIV, with a lot of the same discussions.  Hilarious part was the same guys crapping on LIV for being a Saudi run thing, were eagerly watching the Formula 1 race a few weeks ago in Saudi Arabia.  Cheering for their favorite driver/team that is partially owned by the PIF.  That took a solid 10-years to form, it didn't just happen overnight.  

It might take a full decade for Saudi Golf to be more palatable to a broader audience.  But it has happened in lots of sports over the past decade, one piece at a time.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

17 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I agree Norman must go but I don't know enough about Jay to say. Even if Jay resigns there's no guarantee that LIV won't be killed off by his successor.  At this point I think the tour has shown it can wait it out.  LIV will keep throwing money at it but no matter what they've only demonstrated they can't grow a following.  Plus the longer this goes on I see it only increases the disdain for LIV. 

Again I invite the LIV cheerleaders to show some data that what they've done to date has been successful.  Aside from a bit of traction in AUS it doesn't come with any meaningful market size. 

A good CEO is key. But it has to be someone who both Arum and SSG would listen too

Like that guy Sean Bratches who liv signed as head commercial officer but he quit before liv even launched 🤣

That guy built ESPN and took F1 to the next level 

That’s the type of guy who can figure out how to reduce LiVs footprint and competitive drain on the tour, but still have it be a successful international tour with big names. 

The pga tour can survive without a deal but I do think they could be looking at declining revenue and a shortfall to pay these huge pushes next time they do a media deal. The big names liv takes don’t seem to help liv but they definitely hurt the tour. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

To your point about adding big names for GIANT MONEY. I had zero interest in starting to watch when they bought JR. Actually the most I watched was when they paraded AK out there. Not even really an AK fan, was just curious. 

I wouldn’t mind if they take slow players like Cantlay. Herd all of the slow players on LIV and we can ignore them, lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I completely agree on everything you said, and have said as much in this very thread.  Had they been able to become a primary sponsor for 4-6 events a year, it would have given them an intro to the sport, and the washing could have begun slowly.  For all we know it could have led to the 2030 Aramco Championships events in the fall, or some such thing.  Replacing FedEx.  

It's a much more difficult proposition doing it the way they did it, or at least how it has ended up going.  It escalated from a 4-6 event team series to "holy hell, we gotta run a 14-event full on golf season all on our own.) pretty quickly.  

But things have changed in the general landscape since year 1.  LIV was damn near in a total media blackout for a while, in terms of results, event coverage, story lines.  Now you see them show up on the ESPN main page in the same mix of who won the dodgers game, who won the Lakers game, who won the PGAT event, who won the LIV event.  And 99% of youtubers wouldn't touch LIV stuff, then the news of the possible merger comes out, and LIV players are on YT channels doing Breaking 75 vids.  If you absolutely don't watch anything related to anyone associated with LIV, I could see how you think they are totally absent from the golf world.  But a lot changed since that potential merger announcment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, subrew said:

I completely agree on everything you said, and have said as much in this very thread.  Had they been able to become a primary sponsor for 4-6 events a year, it would have given them an intro to the sport, and the washing could have begun slowly.  For all we know it could have led to the 2030 Aramco Championships events in the fall, or some such thing.  Replacing FedEx.  

It's a much more difficult proposition doing it the way they did it, or at least how it has ended up going.  It escalated from a 4-6 event team series to "holy hell, we gotta run a 14-event full on golf season all on our own.) pretty quickly.  

But things have changed in the general landscape since year 1.  LIV was damn near in a total media blackout for a while, in terms of results, event coverage, story lines.  Now you see them show up on the ESPN main page in the same mix of who won the dodgers game, who won the Lakers game, who won the PGAT event, who won the LIV event.  And 99% of youtubers wouldn't touch LIV stuff, then the news of the possible merger comes out, and LIV players are on YT channels doing Breaking 75 vids.  If you absolutely don't watch anything related to anyone associated with LIV, I could see how you think they are totally absent from the golf world.  But a lot changed since that potential merger announcment. 

Agree with your idea of Saudi replacing FedEx as the sponsor of the Playoff bonuses. This would have been much cheaper for Saudi, and they would still be able to easily outbid FedEx’s budget, which is less than $100M per year compared to the multi-billion crazy spending for LIV. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Do they though? Im sitting here watching the RBC with an absolutely star studded field. Pre-LIV the biggest names there were Keegan Bradley and Matt Kuchar. Sure it would be nice to have Bryson n Jon out there. But I’d say a small sacrifice for what came out of it. But perhaps that’s just me and my perpetual silver lining 😊

Hitting this one! Dead on man - no issue here for new talent having a better chance to get opportunities!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, redfirebird08 said:

Agree with your idea of Saudi replacing FedEx as the sponsor of the Playoff bonuses. This would have been much cheaper for Saudi, and they would still be able to easily outbid FedEx’s budget, which is less than $100M per year compared to the multi-billion crazy spending for LIV. 

The way they have done it with the Aramco Team events seems to be the model.  But they had a willing partner (LET) who really needed the funds, and was willing to co-sanction.  These events were a bit taboo initially, but three years later, pretty much all of the top LPGA players are playing in 1-3 Aramco events per year, and not hiding it.  And because of the co-sanctioning, winning an Aramco event actually gets mentioned as a positive.  I.e. "she hasn't won on the LPGA tour in a few years, but she did just win the LET Aramco event in Florida earlier this year" straight from the mouths of the tv presenters.  

Those have become more "palatable" because of the way they were created and folded into the existing landscape.  But it took an existing organization to join hands to pull it off.  The DP Tour could have been that segue for PIF on the men's side.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, subrew said:

Appreciate your thoughts on this one.  I would agree FedEx should be out. They can't even ship reliably so they should focus on that, not sponsoring golf 🤣

I'm just not sure if the landscape for LIV has changed much in 2 years. Despite giving away viewing for free on livgolfplus.com web traffic numbers haven't really grown. The biggest pop came when AK joined. Unfortunately, my chart only goes back 6 months because otherwise I'd have to pay for the data service.  Also overall the LIV web traffic is about 8% of the PGAT which is really bad considering livgolf.com is the primary entry point to get to livgolfplus. It's not showing meaningful growth. 

I say if Norman were never part of this whole thing and they entered it with a gentler approach then things would be looking radically different for SA's golf involvement.  It would look more like the F1 evolution. Instead they went the hostile route.  

Again anyone is free to refute what I say, but use data.

image.png.0112693590777b9c13fac344beabe53a.png

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2

I don't think web traffic or tv watching has improved at all for LIV, they are pretty dismal.  But, I also paid zero attention to TV ratings before LIV.  

But in the short lifespan of LIV, it went from being blackballed by most traditional news outlets to now just being part of the regular weekly update.  Sites like golf.com or golfdigest have Monday wrapup articles, and the winner of the LIV events get mentioned now.  WITB are being featured (outside of GolfWRX) for LIV golfers.  PING congratulates the winners of LIV events (when they are Ping people) across its social media platforms just like they do for DP Tour and PGAT winners.  Jon Rahm is playing YT golf with the Bryan Bros, Sergio was with Rick Shiels.  The Golf Channel gives updates on LIV events now, and Brandel was doing a shot-by-shot analysis of Juaquin Neiman's play from Mayakoba earlier in the year.  Made me do a double take.   

It's nothing really big, but it went from a near total blackout to just sorta "yep, "those" golfers are in fact golfing, so we're going to talk about them again." 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, subrew said:

The way they have done it with the Aramco Team events seems to be the model.  But they had a willing partner (LET) who really needed the funds, and was willing to co-sanction.  These events were a bit taboo initially, but three years later, pretty much all of the top LPGA players are playing in 1-3 Aramco events per year, and not hiding it.  And because of the co-sanctioning, winning an Aramco event actually gets mentioned as a positive.  I.e. "she hasn't won on the LPGA tour in a few years, but she did just win the LET Aramco event in Florida earlier this year" straight from the mouths of the tv presenters.  

Those have become more "palatable" because of the way they were created and folded into the existing landscape.  But it took an existing organization to join hands to pull it off.  The DP Tour could have been that segue for PIF on the men's side.  

I always thought it made more sense for Saudi to buy the Euro Tour instead of starting a new one. They would automatically have world ranking points. 

5 hours ago, subrew said:

I don't think web traffic or tv watching has improved at all for LIV, they are pretty dismal.  But, I also paid zero attention to TV ratings before LIV.  

But in the short lifespan of LIV, it went from being blackballed by most traditional news outlets to now just being part of the regular weekly update.  Sites like golf.com or golfdigest have Monday wrapup articles, and the winner of the LIV events get mentioned now.  WITB are being featured (outside of GolfWRX) for LIV golfers.  PING congratulates the winners of LIV events (when they are Ping people) across its social media platforms just like they do for DP Tour and PGAT winners.  Jon Rahm is playing YT golf with the Bryan Bros, Sergio was with Rick Shiels.  The Golf Channel gives updates on LIV events now, and Brandel was doing a shot-by-shot analysis of Juaquin Neiman's play from Mayakoba earlier in the year.  Made me do a double take.   

It's nothing really big, but it went from a near total blackout to just sorta "yep, "those" golfers are in fact golfing, so we're going to talk about them again." 

I think you're exaggerating the lack of initial coverage. Lots of content providers were "Bi-tour curious" right from the start. 

9 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I really wonder if you read my post lol

How can you say,

“I guess it has not sank in after all these years for many. PIF has never once said they care or are worried about profit.  (Sad but true)”

when I just said,

“Not needing to make a profit is the 

reason for LIVs total failure”

🤣

2 days from today marks the 28th anniversary of The WNBA...

...a league that has never once turned a profit -- never, ever, nil, nada, none, zip.