Advice on new set of clubs

It is time to get a new set of clubs for my daughter and I need advice.  A little bit about her so you all can point me in the right direction

12 years old (will be 13 in October)

60.5" tall

weighs 80 lbs

currently uses US Kids TS-3 57-60"

swings the driver about 60 mph (it carries about 100 yds and total distance is about 150 yds, maybe a bit longer on these distances but not by much)

she has been playing 1 year and 3 months, and she plays competitively in First Tee tournaments and South Texas PGA Junior (Little Linksters).  

Most tournaments she plays are 9 holes modified tees (beginning of fairway most often) but she does play some 18 hole tournaments.

For the 9 hole tournaments she plays the recommended yardages that they go by are par 3:  80-100 yards, par 4:  200-250 yds, and par 5:  300-350 yds,  total distance is 1900-2200 yds.  Her average score for these tournaments is about a 41 (usually about 4-5 over par, but she has shot under par)

For the 18 hole tournaments she plays, they usually tee off from the forward tees and I would guess her average is in the mid 90's, she just started playing 18 hole tournaments.

As mentioned she is currently playing the US Kids TS-3 57-60 clubs in graphite shafts ( the driver is the v10 440cc, 15 degree loft, 38 in length), she loves them except that they are too short.  Because she doesn't swing the club very fast right now I am inclined to just get the next height level up of the US Kids TS-3's (would be 60-63" set, the driver here would be the v5, 460 cc, 13 degree loft, 40 in length).  I recognize that these clubs are only 5% lighter than adults so I wondered if maybe I should consider something else?  In my limited knowledge, what makes the most sense is to get the next set of US Kids and wait until she is swinging it 70+ mph then move to something else, probably ladies clubs.  Is that the right approach or am I totally off? or maybe get a mix of US Kids irons and the driver, fariway woods and hybrids from somewhere else?  She is not a long ball hitter, and I recognize we need to work on increasing club head speed, and maybe moving up to something else now would help a little with the distance.  Any advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.    

Most of the guys that can really help the most are all at USKG Worlds.  Just want to make sure you don't think you are being ignored.  Guys like @darter79and @Bizzle80will probably be able to help the most.  I am sure I missed someone, but not in the girl's golf world anymore.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The first question that you need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend.   I would suggest at minimum finding a place with a ton of shafts and clubs.     But you should be aware it's pretty easy to spend $3-4k on custom fit bag of clubs at cool clubs or club champion.   I would not spend that much on a 12 year where you end up needing clubs every 6 months.

If you are in Texas there are lots of places all over the state that you can go.   I highly recommend Bo Hodnett  at golf tech I think he would be worth the drive he is in in Plano and fits a ton of juniors and I think would find something  reasonable  price that will work for you and not cost you an arm and leg..

If you have a limited budget then it's a bigger challenge.   Suggestion would be to find some used clubs if you can on eBay or a retailer.  Dallas golf is also a good place that could help.

As for the type of club your daughter needs that is almost impossible  to figure out without seeing her in person.  Generally speaking ladies or senior clubs will most likely work. 

Here is some general advice what I would look at but by no means the only thing that would work.

For girls I like accra shafts  they make really good lightweight stuff.   But honestly you might find cheaper options that work

As for irons the best thing you can do is look for a deal and figure out what your daughter likes to hit.  Don't buy shovels and don't buy blades.  Anything in between will work just fine. 

When it comes to woods just buy something made in the last few years that feels good.

Edited by tiger1873

2 hours ago, GolfDad22 said:

It is time to get a new set of clubs for my daughter and I need advice.  A little bit about her so you all can point me in the right direction

12 years old (will be 13 in October)

60.5" tall

weighs 80 lbs

currently uses US Kids TS-3 57-60"

swings the driver about 60 mph (it carries about 100 yds and total distance is about 150 yds, maybe a bit longer on these distances but not by much)

she has been playing 1 year and 3 months, and she plays competitively in First Tee tournaments and South Texas PGA Junior (Little Linksters).  

Most tournaments she plays are 9 holes modified tees (beginning of fairway most often) but she does play some 18 hole tournaments.

For the 9 hole tournaments she plays the recommended yardages that they go by are par 3:  80-100 yards, par 4:  200-250 yds, and par 5:  300-350 yds,  total distance is 1900-2200 yds.  Her average score for these tournaments is about a 41 (usually about 4-5 over par, but she has shot under par)

For the 18 hole tournaments she plays, they usually tee off from the forward tees and I would guess her average is in the mid 90's, she just started playing 18 hole tournaments.

As mentioned she is currently playing the US Kids TS-3 57-60 clubs in graphite shafts ( the driver is the v10 440cc, 15 degree loft, 38 in length), she loves them except that they are too short.  Because she doesn't swing the club very fast right now I am inclined to just get the next height level up of the US Kids TS-3's (would be 60-63" set, the driver here would be the v5, 460 cc, 13 degree loft, 40 in length).  I recognize that these clubs are only 5% lighter than adults so I wondered if maybe I should consider something else?  In my limited knowledge, what makes the most sense is to get the next set of US Kids and wait until she is swinging it 70+ mph then move to something else, probably ladies clubs.  Is that the right approach or am I totally off? or maybe get a mix of US Kids irons and the driver, fariway woods and hybrids from somewhere else?  She is not a long ball hitter, and I recognize we need to work on increasing club head speed, and maybe moving up to something else now would help a little with the distance.  Any advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.    

Given your descriptiopn of her swing speed, current  clubs, and current playing ability, I would hit the easy button and order the next set of USKG TS3-60's.  Probably would stick with graphite iron shafts given her driver swing speed, but they also make them in junior steel shaft for the irons.

• Like 4

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

6 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Given your descriptiopn of her swing speed, current  clubs, and current playing ability, I would hit the easy button and order the next set of USKG TS3-60's.  Probably would stick with graphite iron shafts given her driver swing speed, but they also make them in junior steel shaft for the irons.

Agree with this. 

My first recommendation would be get fitted before spending to much money.  You can go down a rabbit hole and send her swing and game in the wrong direction.

I would probably play the next model up.  I had a 14 yo with the same stats.  She used the Cobra F-Max for two years.  Fit her SS very well.

12-15 range is very hard to nail down.

• Thanks 1

My competitive 12 year old boy, plays US kids TS irons.  We did make the jump in woods and hybrids to adults.  He plays a g30 driver, g425 5 wood, and g425 6 hybrid.  That set up has been fantastic for him.  We saw a big jump in forgiveness and distance with the OEM stuff.   They all have senior flex shafts.

• Like 1

Callaway Rouge LS

CobraLTDx 3 wood

Ping 425 4 hybrid

Ping iCrossover 18*

Mizuno 923 Forged 5-pw

SM9 50/56/60

Ping Kushin4

What to get equipment-wise can depend on objectives.  Is she competitive or just likes to play?  If competitive, I would go to a quality fitter and get her quality clubs.  You also have to go all in on equipment because she will need updates every year until fully grown. Therefore, resale value can be a consideration.  If not competitive, I would get a quality used set of clubs for her size.

If you do go the fitting route and she has an instructor, ask her golf instructor to either fit her or who he would recommend.  

Thank you all for the advice so far, it is greatly appreciated.  Regarding her objectives, she plays competitively and plans to keep doing that so this is beyond playing just for fun.  I understand getting fit and making sure she is in the right clubs and have no issue doing that.  What I am struggling with is if right now is "the right time".  Most on here have probably forgotten more about golf than I know but it seems to me that swinging a driver at 60 mph is still slow and much room for development.  Additionally, physically she is on the petite side, slight built.   Given that it seemed to me that the best approach was to simply stay with US Kid TS-3 clubs for one more phase and allow her to increase her club head speed and develop more physically.  Having said that, I wanted to make sure I'm not limiting her with the US Kids clubs.  If she is swinging the driver at 60 mph and basically carrying it 100 yds and has a total distance of about 150-160 yds,  I wondered if moving to something other than US Kids would make a big enough difference to justify the more advanced clubs now.  I fully recognize I will have to get her fitted and in ladies clubs sooner rather than later.  

Not sure if this makes sense, but my dilemma is "am I getting her a car a year before she can drive it".  Put differently, does her swing speed and physical development support moving up to more advanced clubs.  

Well, there is always this option for your daughter.

977EF9BC-EBB5-4127-ABD4-568C0FA38269.jpeg

CEF1F3C3-23DC-4B99-856E-74FDC134F1EA.jpeg

D7A47E76-997A-4597-8F8C-E1EF2C695DE3.jpeg

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

3 hours ago, GolfDad22 said:

Thank you all for the advice so far, it is greatly appreciated.  Regarding her objectives, she plays competitively and plans to keep doing that so this is beyond playing just for fun.  I understand getting fit and making sure she is in the right clubs and have no issue doing that.  What I am struggling with is if right now is "the right time".  Most on here have probably forgotten more about golf than I know but it seems to me that swinging a driver at 60 mph is still slow and much room for development.  Additionally, physically she is on the petite side, slight built.   Given that it seemed to me that the best approach was to simply stay with US Kid TS-3 clubs for one more phase and allow her to increase her club head speed and develop more physically.  Having said that, I wanted to make sure I'm not limiting her with the US Kids clubs.  If she is swinging the driver at 60 mph and basically carrying it 100 yds and has a total distance of about 150-160 yds,  I wondered if moving to something other than US Kids would make a big enough difference to justify the more advanced clubs now.  I fully recognize I will have to get her fitted and in ladies clubs sooner rather than later.  

Not sure if this makes sense, but my dilemma is "am I getting her a car a year before she can drive it".  Put differently, does her swing speed and physical development support moving up to more advanced clubs.  

Moving to adult clubs will almost certainly get her more distance. 

Having clubs too light may actually slow her swing speed more then too heavy.

Us Kids clubs and other clubs are great but all junior clubs are inferior quality. The same thing can be said about clubs for women. 

Once a kid is 11 or 12 you want to make the jump if you have the budget.   The only reason to stick with Junior clubs is you you don’t want to spend $1-$2k it costs to do it.

if you truly want to be competitive it makes sense to spend a few bucks on a fitter. Some places are only $50 so it stupid to not at least do that.

• Like 1

are you sure thats right on her SS? I say that because that is gonna limit her big time. I would get on a TM to verify that. If she is actually swinging it 60. Then I wouldn't touch anything but USKG until her speed is much higher. You might be able to get away with an adult head in the driver with a soft ladies shaft but at 60 ss it wont matter what she hits if I can be honest. Most 12 year olds I would assume are 80+ and some in the 90s for reference. 

• Like 3

I will schedule a lesson ASAP and get her on the trackman and report back when I have the data.  I can't imagine she is swinging it much faster than 60-65 mph.  She is actually a pretty decent golfer and wins her fair share but, yes the driver distance, especially the carry distance is limiting.  She is petite for her age so there is that.  A couple of questions:  Assuming the swing speed is in the ball part, does it sound like a reasonable plan to keep her in USKG clubs and specifically target working on increasing speed, maybe things like using the SuperSpeed training system for juniors, working on the whipping action of the club, getting her to rotate better, etc.  Then measure her speed again down the road and go from there.  Sound reasonable?  Second question, the USKG TS3-57's clubs she is using now are way to short for her, that is obvious to me when I see her stance, is it possible that because the clubs are too short that is limiting the swing speed that is being measured?  

I really appreciate all the help.  We play in the Houston area, and despite her not being a long ball hitter at all, she can hold her own in most tournaments.  What she can do is hit them down the middle of the fairway most of the time, the misses are rare and she can putt better than most.  

I had previously recommended Golfworks.  They will build to her height and swing speed.  This Pak is a great deal.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-iron-pak-maltby-m890-lt/p/pma0321lt/

With this shaft in LL flex, you should be able to match her swing speed even if in the 60 mph range.   Other options available when you actually measure it.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-grapihite-ironhybrid-shaft-ll-flex/p/ma0312ll/#:~:text=Overview,92 mph (R Flex).

Another option is to lengthen her clubs with shaft extenders and new grips if length is the only problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GolfDad22 said:

I will schedule a lesson ASAP and get her on the trackman and report back when I have the data.  I can't imagine she is swinging it much faster than 60-65 mph.  She is actually a pretty decent golfer and wins her fair share but, yes the driver distance, especially the carry distance is limiting.  She is petite for her age so there is that.  A couple of questions:  Assuming the swing speed is in the ball part, does it sound like a reasonable plan to keep her in USKG clubs and specifically target working on increasing speed, maybe things like using the SuperSpeed training system for juniors, working on the whipping action of the club, getting her to rotate better, etc.  Then measure her speed again down the road and go from there.  Sound reasonable?  Second question, the USKG TS3-57's clubs she is using now are way to short for her, that is obvious to me when I see her stance, is it possible that because the clubs are too short that is limiting the swing speed that is being measured?  

I really appreciate all the help.  We play in the Houston area, and despite her not being a long ball hitter at all, she can hold her own in most tournaments.  What she can do is hit them down the middle of the fairway most of the time, the misses are rare and she can putt better than most.  

Entire thread on Swing Speed.  Speed Sticks are a short term solution.  There is an initial, bump and then not much data after that to prove that they really work.  If you ask for data, the companies really can't give it to you.  To increase swing speed you have to build a better engine.  Kids and Adults can only go the speed the engine allows them to go.  Telling someone to increase their 40 time for football is more than just running sprints everyday.  They have to build the engine.  Golf swing is no different.  Most of the time in Females and young juniors they have poor chest strength which leads to them not hitting the ball far.  Chest and Leg strength are the most important aspects to having the ability to hit bombs.  Where there is not data on Swing Speed Programs not being snake oil, there is plenty of data on strength and conditioning to improve speed.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgPxgMOgebu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I just spent $3k at Club Champion and the fitter found clubs that were a much better fit than the ladies clubs I was using.  I could have easily spent $5k.

I'm 62 inches tall and weigh 108 lbs, which is the size of many juniors.  So, if you can afford it, I'm pretty sure they can provide clubs that will give her more distance.

The women's version of the Stealth 12 driver is lighter than the men's version.  XXIO 12 irons are what a lot of seniors seem to be fitted into.   

Expensive, especially with custom shafts, but look at the TrackMan data and decide for yourself.

I had a stroke and spent a year playing with a variety of different clubs to find out what worked for me.

The course I play on is an challenging Executive course so I played with four irons and a putter to learn course management.

Now that I'm pretty good at navigating my way around the course I added driver to my game. 

With practice and better fitted clubs I'm seeing a lot more distance off the tee.

But, strength has never been an issue.  I saw 4 inch logs with a hand saw.

For me, tempo to properly sequence my body rotation and swing is what takes a long time for me to learn.

Which isn't surprising since the major issue from the stroke was ataxia.  On my entire right side.

I've learned that it typically takes a month or more to learn that type of body movement.  So I put in the time it takes.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped with Us kids once my daughter turned 11 and moved to prodi g.  Huge difference in quality.  Had them reshafted for free under the program and used until she grew out of them recently.  Did not consider any more junior clubs and had her fitted into ladies clubs.  Took the summer to kind of get used to the extra length and weight so there were tournament she played great and won and others where she made inconsistent contact and was second of third.  Have to be prepared for that and understand.  Being at the tail end of summer she’s pretty comfortable with all her new equipment and is hitting everything at least 10-20 yards further per club just because the last set was too short and too light.  Ended up with cobra ltdx irons and hybrids, ts1 driver with speeder shaft and a evnroll er1v.

• 5 weeks later...

Late replying to this topic but anyway….

My fifteen year old daughter is 63 inches (so on the small side) and has been playing US kids tour series.  She hits 7 iron 135  yards.  Her swing speed with 7 iron is 73mph and her coach told us at the week end to change as she is too fast for the clubs and it is causing inconsistency.  She stuck with them too long because she liked the light weight.  She is booked for a fitting in two weeks.

Her younger sister moved onto Ping GLe2 when she hit 62 inches and was fine (moving from US Kids).  We would have likely stayed with the next set of US kids tour series but she is left handed and we could not source any in UK given current supply chain issues.  As it is her game went up moving to the Pings.

I think there is a benefit to “real” clubs but personally I would not rush.  Most important is to make sure they are comfortable swinging it.

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag