73 - 94. Guess it's time to ask for help.

Never been brave enough to post a swing video before but my pride is gone. Never really learned the correct way to do things so it's not pretty. 57, 6.7hc. When things are in sync life is pretty good, but when pressure hits or things get slightly off it all goes south in a hurry. Shanks, pulls, slices, even topped a driver which was a first. Not very good video (hitting 9 iron) but I don't have much room. Will try to get some better ones but thought there might be something obvious to someone. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by rvs0002
Added "thanks"

Not bad... let me preface, I am not an online swing guru.  All I noticed was as you turn to the right, your upper body lifts upright, in your back swing and doesn't come back down as the club comes to impact.   Whether that's something of concern don't know.  I just know I don't do that.

• Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus Velorcore 5s
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus Velocore 6s
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White s
  • Titleist 620 3i-PW Steelfiber i110cw, s
  • SM9 F-52/12 DG-S200
  • SM9 M-58/8 DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

club to far inside on take away (my disease).  Then you stand it up to start the downswing.  Causes that OTT move (see pull and slice) and stalls the rotation. 

I take practice swings and feel like Matthew Wolff.  I look like a normal golfer but it feels like Matt W.  I've found golf is a game of opposites for me.  Club goes back outside and will come back more inside.  There's a Dan C video running around where you use an alignment stick and have it on your right side to start the back swing then transition it to your left.  Let me see if I can find it

An important element if you're going to start attempting drills is understand the root cause of these issues, which is a very classic/common example of improper pelvic rotation causing this:

rvs0002EE.gif.bdfe0607ecc711a9ef384e9195e916d8.gif

Pretty severe depth loss at impact as your lower body, which should maintain it's distance from the ball throughout the swing, has instead come WAY towards it result in all sorts of compensations to make any kind of contact. Everything that you're doing incorrectly (and with examples of what is "right") is in the AMG Hip Turn video below. You're doing exactly what their "Am" is doing so you can take that 1:1.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Kuro Kage 70XTS || Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR 7X 
Taylormade SIM V2 16.5* Kuro Kage Prototype 80TX || Taylormade M5 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 80TX 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Srixon ZX Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB9.8 Tour Spec-X
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 hours ago, rvs0002 said:

Thank you Valtiel. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

No problem! Check out the thread below this one as mm3030 was doing the same thing you are now and has already made similar adjustments that you'd want to look at:

Taylormade SIM V2 16.5* Kuro Kage Prototype 80TX || Taylormade M5 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 80TX 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Srixon ZX Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB9.8 Tour Spec-X
Bridgestone 

5 hours ago, Valtiel said:

No problem! Check out the thread below this one as mm3030 was doing the same thing you are now and has already made similar adjustments that you'd want to look at:

Will do. That video was describing me exactly (right down to the name - John haha). Wish they would have included some drills but will find some today!

Thanks again,

John

@Valtielnailed it - as he usually does. I love his little video analysis things.

Reading the post description, I could have almost predicted it.

When you see that kind of variation in scores - it almost always comes back to a hip rotation, early extension, high-hands, goat-humping kind of thing. One day you are doing well to limit it - hence the 73 - other days you are not - and you get the 94. Ultimately most of us don't know what has made the difference. I know because I've been there.

So much of it stems back to a solid, balanced base (i.e. stance/posture) - and maintaining that solid balanced base throughout the swing to give you a repeatable, solid delivery of the clubhead to impact.

As you swing, the forces of the club, the movements of your body, and the imperative in your mind to "hit the ball" will do weird things to your balance, your body will react and pull your posture out of shape.

To avoid that, you've got to get the club and your body into proper positions to withstand those forces and give yourself the room to return the club to impact correctly, time after time.

Those low 70's show that you know what to do  - you just can't get your body to cooperate all the time. So, the key is figuring out what those "good positions" and "good movements" are to allow your body to do the right things every time.  

The AMG video @Valtiel posted is a great place to start. Hips and hip movements are always going to be key. I'd also suggest checking out Jim Waldron's "Arm Swing Illusion" tread pinned in the Instruction forum.

These were two keys that really helped develop my swing, and believe me, with some good information, a solid understanding, and a willingness to practice...

You too can overcome this problem. When you do, those 94s will disappear.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Posted (edited)

Thanks jholz, I REALLY appreciate the help. I have taken lessons over the last ten years (after trying to fix myself the first 30) and not one teacher has ever pointed out proper hip rotation. I did have one mention that I was early extending but we never worked on it past that. I've been swinging the same way for my whole life so it won't be an easy change but at least I know what to work on now and that is a great feeling. I have a tournament this weekend so hoping to find a bandaid for now haha.  Golf is such a great game but also the most frustrating thing I've ever done. Luckily most days my playing partners are my 91 year old father and my 30 year old son. That overcomes any bad scores for sure.

Edited by rvs0002
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rvs0002 said:

For others struggling with this issue, here is another video on it and a great drill to get the correct feeling.

This is a great explanation, agreed. The visuals are useful as well. The only thing I would add is some potential clarification on sequencing and where these ideas could be misinterpreted. 

The basic idea of "wipe the window -> shift/connect -> wipe the window" is technically correct, but this might get you doing things too slowly/passively for those that are NOT doing this correctly to start with. The downswing has a lot more speed obviously which much faster movements (unless you're Matt Fitzpatrick lol) so the feeling you want initially (and probably going forward as well) is "wipe the window -> shift/connect -> punch/break the window". That left hip should be interacting much more aggressively with that surface, and I fear that taking this advice too literally would produce too slow/passive a movement at that stage. How aggressively that left hip punches the window will depend on a number of factors, and for some people it might be helpful to work on it slowly/smoothly at first like the video implies, but that speed still needs to be there at some point. 

The other bit is about sequencing. At 1:36 -1:40 he is showing the connecting/shifting move but is also showing the club coming all the way down to nearly P6 while doing this. In reality this move happens all the way at the top of the swing, initially starting before the backswing even finishes, so don't take that part too literally since attempting to do this move that late in the downswing won't work once any amount of speed is applied.

Bridgestone 

Great point. I can't get to the range until tomorrow evening but I have been doing some slow reps without a club. I can't seem to get the correct movement that seems fluid but hopefully adding a club and some speed will help. I love the thought of "punch/break the window" though. That makes more sense to me. Thanks again for that.

Well finally got a chance to get to the range and try all this out. Didn't have anyone to film me so no videos but let's just say it was a pretty miserable failure. Never could get it down and all that really changed was my back hurt more haha. I think it's just time to put away the clubs for the year. Thanks to everyone who commented and tried to help!

1 hour ago, rvs0002 said:

Well finally got a chance to get to the range and try all this out. Didn't have anyone to film me so no videos but let's just say it was a pretty miserable failure. Never could get it down and all that really changed was my back hurt more haha. I think it's just time to put away the clubs for the year. Thanks to everyone who commented and tried to help!

Sorry to hear that, changing ingrained patterns can be tricky especially if there are any physical limitations. If you get an opportunity to take video it would be good to check to make sure you're moving "correctly" though as that might contain info about where pain is coming from etc.

Bridgestone 

Yes I will try to get some new video as I'm working on it. I'm sure I was doing it incorrectly or my back wouldn't be hurting like it does. I'm not a golfer that can feel things so I really need somebody there watching and working with me (and video helps too but I don't always know what I am looking for) but it's really hard to find a good pro around where I live. I have a tournament Saturday and Sunday and I was thinking about pulling out but I guess I will go ahead and power through it and do the best I can and then take a week or two off and then start really working on it when I can get in my friend's simulator. At least I can set my camera up and self video there. On the bright side nobody that sees me swing this weekend will accuse me of sandbagging haha.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rvs0002 said:

Yes I will try to get some new video as I'm working on it. I'm sure I was doing it incorrectly or my back wouldn't be hurting like it does. I'm not a golfer that can feel things so I really need somebody there watching and working with me (and video helps too but I don't always know what I am looking for) but it's really hard to find a good pro around where I live. I have a tournament Saturday and Sunday and I was thinking about pulling out but I guess I will go ahead and power through it and do the best I can and then take a week or two off and then start really working on it when I can get in my friend's simulator. At least I can set my camera up and self video there. On the bright side nobody that sees me swing this weekend will accuse me of sandbagging haha.

Sounds like a plan, shoot some updated video over when you can and good luck at the tournament. You may just want to intentionally throttle way back and feel like you're making 3/4 swings to get through it since the sorts of issues you're dealing with will be exacerbated by trying to apply power before you've learned how to do that correctly.

Bridgestone