Painters tape grip install

rorykoepka

Quick question for the grip installation experts. I pulled some gripmaster roo grips that were initially installed with rubber cement using a grip removal tool. I went to put them on using blue painters tape and solvent but the grip seems like it won’t hold with this method as it’s really easy to spin the grip. Is it just a matter of letting them dry and it’ll be perfect or will I have to use double sided tape to get them to stay on? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Sounds like you tried an "air install", without using air and used solvent?  With an air install the painters tape is tacky enough without solvent, so the grip has something to hold onto.

At this point, I'd take them off and use two side tape

Thanks for the answer. That’s exactly what I did. Looks like I’ll have to use double sided tape and make these permanent grips until I wear them out

Properly installed grips with 2-sided tape, and wraps can last a long time, but still be removed after use rather easily using the proper technique or equipment.  My grips are removed and replaced every 4-6 months.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

If using the old school solvent method then you need double sided tape.    Painters tape for air installation

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

53 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Thanks for the answer. That’s exactly what I did. Looks like I’ll have to use double sided tape and make these permanent grips until I wear them out

If you have a compressor available, you could use a little contact cement along the sides of the tape.  Holds nicely.

"If" being the operative word

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You guys don’t think that once the solvent dries overnight it will be all right?  I’ve only ever done it like the op is discussing when installing putter grips, which obviously face a lot less force than club grips, but have never had an issue once allowed to dry.  When the solvent is still wet it is obviously very easy to spin and move.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jomatty said:

You guys don’t think that once the solvent dries overnight it will be all right?  I’ve only ever done it like the op is discussing when installing putter grips, which obviously face a lot less force than club grips, but have never had an issue once allowed to dry.  When the solvent is still wet it is obviously very easy to spin and move.

I think it will be fine once it dries. I don’t think the double sided tape actually holds the grip in place. It’s benefit is when the adhesive has solvent on it, it becomes slippery. Once you slide the grip on, the stretching of the rubber over the diameter is what keeps the grip in place. This is why using air doesn’t need double sided tape..because it doesn’t need a slippery/slimy surface to slide on.

• Like 1

the stretching of the rubber over the diameter is what keeps the grip in place. This is why using air doesn’t need double sided tape"

Well, if actually no sticky tape is needed when using air, why not simply use lots of solvent on the bare shaft, shove the grip on  while wet and slimy....and let the solvent dry o'nite. No need for air machine or sticky tape, just lots of solvent.

10 minutes ago, jobin said:

Well, if actually no sticky tape is needed when using air, why not simply use lots of solvent on the bare shaft, shove the grip on  while wet and slimy....and let the solvent dry o'nite. No need for air machine or sticky tape, just lots of solvent.

Give this a go and report back to us ...

• Like 1

Granted I have only been doing this for about two weeks, but I’ve figured out that three layers of blue painters tape holds the grip in place better than one or two. This is an unrecognizable increase in thickness in my hand, but I assume just enough to make a difference and stretch the grip over the shaft to keep it secure. I put a tiny dab of solvent inside the open end of the grip before pushing it on with one of those 20v shop inflator air pumps set to 100 psi. I notice that the lower portion of the grip rotates a little more freely right after installation, I assume due to either the solvent acting as a lubricant or perhaps there being less tape thickness (I try to stop the tape about a half inch above where the grip would end so I don’t have to cut any left peeking out). But that ability to rotate or twist goes away after a few minutes. I would imagine that I could replace the dab of solvent with water or any other liquid that would lubricate it ever so slightly. 

3 hours ago, jobin said:

Well, if actually no sticky tape is needed when using air, why not simply use lots of solvent on the bare shaft, shove the grip on  while wet and slimy..

Because it isn't wet and slimy, just wet. Back when I first started doing my own grips I did some unintentional experimenting. I found that if I didn't wet all of the tape with solvent the grip wouldn't go all the way on. Since the tape was sticky that wasn't a surprise. I also found that if I spiral wrapped the tape and left gaps between the windings that were too wide that the grips wouldn't go all the way on, even if all of the tape and shaft were wet and the inside of the grip was wet as well. It's the slime that allows the grip to slide on easily, and with a bare shaft or even a bare section of shaft there's no slime. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I use rubbing alcohol (or even Windex) - just small amount on the butt end of painters tape - to start the grip and then air moves it in place with little effort.

I have found that making sure the grip is stretched completely down the shaft before cutting off the air, helps to insure all the grip is contacting the shaft. Have not had any issues with loose grips.

Leather grips are more difficult to push on the shaft - but is still very doable.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

18 hours ago, jomatty said:

You guys don’t think that once the solvent dries overnight it will be all right?

As long as the solvent doesn't leave a residue, it should be fine.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

The problem lies with the rubber cement.  Unless you got ALL of it out of the inside of the grip and got them perfectly clean, an install without 2 way tape is destined to fail.  The key is you have to get the inside squeaky clean.   

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

17 hours ago, jobin said:

It can work, but you really need to use air to create a space which will allow the grip to slide on without binding.  Typically, the solvent will bead off too fast to be of use and you will experience problems.  Also, almost all grips are created so that the sizing works out with one wrap of tape (7-10 mil).  Without it, it will fit small.  Pure grips are the one exception that I know of.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

17 hours ago, jobin said:

the stretching of the rubber over the diameter is what keeps the grip in place. This is why using air doesn’t need double sided tape"

In addition to what others have said golf grip cores are designed to be installed over one layer of tape so omitting the tape is a little loose to stay secure. That’s if it’s the same core size and grip diameter. For years I used .580 core grips installed on .600 diameter shafts using air and no tape at all. Never had any slippage issues.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

18 hours ago, jrsgar said:

I use painters tape for air install. Just put small amount of grip solvent on butt end of shaft. Slides on very easy haven't had any issues with slipping.

This is what I would say.  When I first started using air, discovered I needed the painters tape.  My grip would slowly move if I did not use the tape.  Then discovered that covering the tape in solvent did not work well either.  Just using some at the butt end to first get the grip on was all that was needed.  I have had a couple of grips that would still move a bit with usage & had to use grip tape.  Now with saying that....my solvent is paint thinner.

8 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

This is what I would say.  When I first started using air, discovered I needed the painters tape.  My grip would slowly move if I did not use the tape.  Then discovered that covering the tape in solvent did not work well either.  Just using some at the butt end to first get the grip on was all that was needed.  I have had a couple of grips that would still move a bit with usage & had to use grip tape.  Now with saying that....my solvent is paint thinner.

I read numerous times here about using a bit of solvent when blowing grips on and always asks myself why. I have been blowing my grips on for 20yrs and have never seen the reason to do this.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

23 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

Quick question for the grip installation experts. I pulled some gripmaster roo grips that were initially installed with rubber cement using a grip removal tool.

Here is the real problem.   The grip removal tool can seriously stretch out some grips to the point that they will not be as tight as they used to be.   So, quite frankly, they may not work anymore without using double sided tape - or several extra wraps of build up tape.

23 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

I went to put them on using blue painters tape and solvent

As others have already alluded to.  Either use double sided tape and solvent - or us single sided tape and an air compressor.   Don't mix the two up or try to find a hybrid method.

30 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Here is the real problem.   The grip removal tool can seriously stretch out some grips to the point that they will not be as tight as they used to be.   So, quite frankly, they may not work anymore without using double sided tape - or several extra wraps of build up tape.

As others have already alluded to.  Either use double sided tape and solvent - or us single sided tape and an air compressor.   Don't mix the two up or try to find a hybrid method.

This may be what happened. It was a struggle getting the grip master grip off and could have stretched in the process. It’s wild to me that not a single repair shop in the Los Angeles area puts on grips with an air compressor

1 hour ago, rorykoepka said:

It’s wild to me that not a single repair shop in the Los Angeles area puts on grips with an air compressor

Despite the popularity here in the forum, I'm not all that surprised.  It's really a convenience method used mostly by hobbyists, tinkerers, and fitters - but even then only during a fitting.  Vast majority of professional builders and fitters will use double sided tape for the final build.   The chance of slippage is very small when compressed air is used - but it's not zero - like it is with double sided tape.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Painters Tape should only be used as a buildup tape.  Then a layer of Double Sided Tape on top.

You have to remember Painters tape is less "sticky" on the tape side & less grippy on the non sticky side.  

Hence why it is so easy to remove....If you are using a compressor I would go with regular 2 in masking tape over painters tape.

Edited by ignitewvu

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Despite the popularity here in the forum, I'm not all that surprised.  It's really a convenience method used mostly by hobbyists, tinkerers, and fitters - but even then only during a fitting.  Vast majority of professional builders and fitters will use double sided tape for the final build.   The chance of slippage is very small when compressed air is used - but it's not zero - like it is with double sided tape.

I use both methods in my shops depending on the club and circumstances.  The reason a majority still use double sided tape (aside from the obvious in that it works well) is it's how they were taught and how they are told to do it.  There also a safety risk when using air plus potential damage to product that would be a loss to the shop.  Get the wrong person using the air compressor and they could blow through some grips pretty quick.  

On another note there are tour vans on the pga tour that use both the air method and double sided tape method.  Both highly effective methods.

Edited by J13

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

I agree.

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

After years of applying grips, my favorite and easiest method is double faced water soluble tape with an air compressor.  Super easy to get on and align.  No stretching, twisting or bulging of the grip as you can get with solvent and tape alone. Never gets stuck half way on.  Never twist on the shaft when dry and I do not remove my grips to reuse.  Works well for me.  Makes the job a lot quicker.

4 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

This may be what happened. It was a struggle getting the grip master grip off and could have stretched in the process. It’s wild to me that not a single repair shop in the Los Angeles area puts on grips with an air compressor

When using air, we should always pay close attention to the complete outside diameter of the shaft that we are installing the grip over.  If any portion of the shaft O.D is less than the inside diameter of the grip, then it will likely twist at some point.

For example, Dynamic Golds, where the grip is installed over a couple steps that take the O.D down smaller.  If these steps are not built up to create a constant shaft diameter, then a .60 grip won't have enough size to hold onto.  Even a .58 grip has a chance to twist at the bottom.

With double sided tape, you can get away with a smaller shaft O.D without the grip moving.

3 hours ago, Klubster said:

After years of applying grips, my favorite and easiest method is double faced water soluble tape with an air compressor.  Super easy to get on and align.  No stretching, twisting or bulging of the grip as you can get with solvent and tape alone. Never gets stuck half way on.  Never twist on the shaft when dry and I do not remove my grips to reuse.  Works well for me.  Makes the job a lot quicker.

I could have been a bit more specific.  Solvent (even if water) and double sided tape doesn't really matter if you use a compressor or not.  Solvent w/o double sided tape is the real potential problem.

Of course if it's a good combination of solvent and double sided tape, the compressor shouldn't really be needed.   But water soluble double sided tape isn't nearly as effective to use as the mineral spirit based solvents/tape - so I can certainly imagine that the compressor would be helpful in that case.

5 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Of course if it's a good combination of solvent and double sided tape, the compressor shouldn't really be needed.   But water soluble double sided tape isn't nearly as effective to use as the mineral spirit based solvents/tape - so I can certainly imagine that the compressor would be helpful in that case.

Some of the water soluble tape gets very slippery and same barely slick.  The compressor allows me to slip either on easily without getting stuck half way on as has happened more then once.  Without the compressor, I would use solvent based.  with water, I can be sloppier too and not worry about spills.