Equipment brands you stay away from?

MOlson18

Callaway tends to be the brand I feel like I look at the least, however the X-forged UT is all all-timer for me. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

TM and Cobra for me and I'm really not sure why. Their stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Totally understandable, but that’s on the Sales Rep and the CS people you worked with. Nothing to do with their product or quality, right?

I'd say for the most part, yes that is correct. I think the issue is my experience wiped off onto the clubs lol I've never enjoyed odyssey putters, never got along with their drivers or balls, logo is ehh to me. But what I willl say is their TCB may be the prettiest iron out. 

I've just never had luck with Taylormade drivers. Nothing against the brand I've just tried so many different models and none of them work for my game for whatever reason. Finally learned my lesson and have stayed away from them for a few years now. Their fairways and hybrids are always great for me though so I can't say I've completely nixed the brand, just the drivers. 

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

For me, it's Srixon/Cleveland.  The V-Sole just does not work for my swing at all despite the fact I love the idea, shape, and performance of the 500-series products and the Utilities always being rockets for me in testing.  I just know outside, it ain't going to work.  I've tried 565, 585, and ZX5 and its always the same, the V-Sole gets stuck for me.  Which is interesting because it is the exact opposite of what should happen.  I am not good enough for the 7s or the blades, so unfortunately, I am between a rock and a hard place.  I've never hit more irons in a demo session fat than with Srixon stuff.  Cleveland wedges are also fine, and I actually hit the original RTX great, but they look like spoons to me.  Something about the super rounded toe and slightly rounder leading edge throws me off.

PING on the other hand, it seems every iron they've ever made that has a thinner sole is like the golfing God's gifts to my hands.  One of the best irons I ever had were S57s and I am currently strongly testing the i59 and i525.  i500s also gave me the best numbers I have seen out of an iron in a long time.  Did I order them, of course not 🤣

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Pxg.  It’s not a hard and fast rule or anything and I actually think some of their irons look pretty good.  But the way they choose to advertise is just a turn off.  They also seem to release things so quickly that it makes me feel a little uneasy.  At some point if I need something specific that they have a sale on I may end up giving them a try but as a brand they just are not really for me.

• Like 2

Ping (can't stand the shaping or sound), Cobra (just never really been interested), and PXG (that should be fairly self explanatory). 

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

Callaway - not sure why but their recent stuff doesn't appeal, other than maybe the various Apex MBs

Ping - still scarred by thinning an Eye 2 BeCu 4 iron on a cold day when I was a youngster. Get the appeal of their kit, but it isn't for me. Other than the Blueprints, obviously (notice a theme yet?)

PXG - cannot give them any money as it might encourage them to make more "KABOOM BABY" adverts.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

For me it's Titleist, just never been a fan of any of their stuff period.

As far as shafts it's Aldila, just can't hit them.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Six weeks ago I would have said Cobra, but I just put an LTDx driver in the bag because it just flat out performs for me. Def helps that it's their best looking/sounding driver maybe ever... 

Now the title goes to PXG. I'd play almost anything that fits my game and my eye, but since I can't demo them or anything (and of course... the ads) I'll likely never purchase

• Like 1

Ive had a mix batch of names in my bag for years.  Started with component companies, moved to Cobra and was very content for a few years until getting some Ping irons in the bag.  The inbetween years were a mix of MacGregor, Tommy Armour, Taylormade, Titleist, Mizuno, Adams.  Last season after falling in love with the SIM2 I thought I was done.  SIM2, Adams fairway woods, Ping irons, Vokey wedges... it was a great set up.  Fast forward to the end of the season when I was looking for a TM hat on ebay and all of a sudden the 2014 Tour Preferred MC irons popped up.  The deal was too good to pass up.  Literally in the most club marked up time a new listing selling a mint set of these 4-P for under $300, so I jumped on it.  I hit up the BIN 3 minutes after they were listed.  I matched them with the matching wedges and now a Spider putter.  I guess I turned into a TM fanboy

D3D7A6D0-2339-4993-8C52-2341907720A2.jpeg.2b14434a5e782486c8639c519cb144b3.jpeg

Edited by mvhoffman
  • Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

PXG because Parsons.

TaylorMade because no matter what I've tried from them, they just don't work for me.

Everything else I'll gladly give at least a shot to, for the most part. That's what's great about golf - plenty of great gear out there to try and see what works best. 

I buy clubs based on what is going to work for me, not what the resale value is. I thought that was kind of the point of it, buying what helps you play best and have the most fun?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't say avoid but TaylorMade never sniff a spot in my bag during testing. The woods just don't fit my swing, their irons in my skill category are lack luster vs others I can hit. Their better player irons look great just don't have the skill to hit them. Wedges just few options for LH, putters I hate inserts. I did really like the balls but having a lot of durability issues with the TP5Xs I currently have. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

9 hours ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Thats ok.

They only built stuff like Anser putters, G and I series irons. G and I series drivers and 400/410/425 drivers are a little bit popular on Golfwrx.

Become a Golf Ho. Buy a Ping a month. You will find the Anser is near!.

I suppose I’ve used anser copies so if that counts then I guess I have. I can’t get myself to even try the drivers. The shape and the sound throw me off too much. Might be missing out but I don’t think I could do it

Titleist, Callaway/Odyssey, Taylormade Putters and I would of put Cobra up there as well until two weeks ago when I was fit into a LTDX LS driver that’s the best thing I’ve ever swung as far as a driver is concerned.  Titleists drivers have always felt like they had zero pop, same with Callaway.  Never got along with any of their irons.  ProVs and the CTU golf balls…. different story. 

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 hours ago, MachineHack said:

I kinda get Ping as a polarising brand…. To me they will always be home town hero’s but in saying that I’ve been disappointed in quite a few of the more recent products. To not try one of their putters is a bit puzzling to me, if you’ve played an anser style head why wouldn’t you try the people who invented the style? 

odyssey would be my stay away from brand (in saying that I own an one and I keep forgetting to sell it lol). I don’t like their poly inserts and I hate their garbage Chinese heads sold at premium prices.  

I’ve thought about trying some of the old anser styles. But none of the newer stuff appeals to me. Don’t like putters with inserts generally and the milling on the PLD line is too deep and too soft for my taste. 

2 hours ago, colesdad2 said:

Not counting putters, I haven’t hit a shot that counted with a Callaway club since the original Warbird, and never with Ping. Got a complete Callaway bag when buying an Infiniti Q45 in 1996. Sold it the same night. 

Good call, the Infiniti was just a blinged out Nissan right ? 😎

For me, pretty much every brand makes at least a couple products that I like. Maybe not well enough to put them into my bag, but that I like and could see myself using.

There are some I don't really love, or tend to not get along with ... but even they make a few things that I like a lot. For example, with PXG it's their driving irons. With TaylorMade it's their players' hybrids (Stealth Plus now, Sim2 Rescue, etc.) and their P7 series irons, especially P7MCs. Wilson woods don't work for me lately but they make fantastic irons. Lots of Tour Edge stuff I'd love to try if only they made it for lefties. 

The ones I really *do* like -- not out of any particular loyalty but because they always seem to have models in their current lineups that work for me -- are Ping and Titleist pretty much throughout the bag, in the fairways and hybrids in part because I love their adjustable hosels that let me go with flatter lie angles, as well as Callaway (the last couple Max LS driver models have been awesome for me), Mizuno (have just always loved their irons) and Bettinardi putters (they're local for me). 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I will say that, I do not purposely stay away from anything, this is just how it goes:

I almost never have a cobra product in the bag. I had an S9 Pro-D for a minute that I really bought for the shaft, but ended up gaming it for a few rounds before breaking them up. Also had a baffler for a bit but it was never consistent for me. 

With the exception of putters, I do not own a single Ping product. The irons they make have never done a lot for me, and while I liked the G10 a ton, I never felt like the drivers knocked out my other setups. 

I never have particularly played a lot of Titleist either. There have been times where I was close to pulling the trigger, but never did. The most I can say I've owned from Cameron, like Ping, is the putters (re: old Cameron's ).

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of TM drivers.  The sound and feel related to the carbon crowns just don't work for me.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

When I started golfing in the late 90s I thought Callaway had the stigma of being for hackers, the X-12's looked like shovels and the Hawkeye woods looked like hook machines. To this day Callaway gear has a much higher bar to pass before I consider playing their stuff. That said I liked the Epic Max LS and the Rogue TD LS but hated the Epic Flash SZ 3 wood. Odyssey always looks like cheap pot metal putters to me as well. 

Other than specific clubs, there is only one brand I will stay away from completely for clubs-- Nike  (I know they don't make clubs anymore).  That said, a reputable site  (I don't recall which) had Nike irons on sale for $130  a few years ago.  I was recommending those  (at that price) to anybody I knew looking for inexpensive clubs.    I basically stay away from TaylorMade stuff (good equipment,  just don't care for them) and PXG  (oddly enough, I'm a Ping guy but don't like PXG at all).  For TaylorMade, I know they have changed a lot win their business philosophy.  I still have a bad taste from the  let's-release-a-driver-every-three-months  era  (I know it's hyperbole but that is how it seemed).

I've never played a Mizuno or Cleveland club  but wouldn't be against trying one.

I am pretty brand agnostic.  Over the years, I think I have probably played at least one club from every major brand.  I search for clubs that work for me regardless of brand.  When I look in my bag right now, I see mostly Callaway, but that hasn't always been the case.  I can't say that there is any major brand that I would avoid.  But I will avoid clubs that don't look and/or feel right to me, regardless of brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility