Another shaft broke. Did they use too much epoxy?

Trippels

My brand new ventus black 7tx broke today, only been used for about 2 weeks. 

Not a club maker, but seems to me that they've used too much epoxy. That's what the yellow stuff in the tip you see in the picture is right?

Could this have something to do with it?

Haven't hit the ground at all with the club. Just normal use. 

IMG_20220805_195228900.jpg

When I shaft I partially fill the hosel or adapter with epoxy, which will then fill the end of the shaft, although not beyond the top of the hosel or the end of the adapter. I've never had a shaft break in 30 years. That's more epoxy than I'd use, but if anything it should make that section of the shaft stronger, not weaker. But that doesn't look like epoxy.

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

7 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

But that doesn't look like epoxy.

Looks exactly like epoxy to me.

• Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Maybe it's just the quality of the picture, but it looks to be porous, like foam.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

Does seem like overkill on the epoxy to fill the shaft tip that far but I don’t think that caused the break. Seems like an unfortunate issue with the shaft. They can all break for a various number of reasons. Very hard to pin point exactly what caused it to break

• Like 2

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

As @Stuart_G said epoxy has nothing to do with shaft failures.

It was either a burr in the hosel, a heel strike, bad shaft prep to where the building sanded down WAY too much shaft tip, or a bad shaft from Fuji. I rarely see burrs in aluminum hosel adapters so probably one of the other three reasons.

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

4 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Thanks for the insight.

Regarding heel strikes, are you talking about very severely off center hits? Equivalent to shanking an iron essentialy?

Or do all shafts disintegrate after a few hits millimeters heelside of the sweet spot?

Consistent heel strikes focus a lot of impact stresses on the connection between the shaft and hosel. As much as you like hyperbole," a few hits millimeters heel side" would not be the root cause of this failure mode, unless there was existing damage others have referenced such as; burr in the hosel or poor shaft prep. You likely hit well heel side of the face in conjunction with a poorly prepped or damaged shaft from manufacturing process. 

Edited by DFS PFD

7 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Thanks for the insight.

Regarding heel strikes, are you talking about very severely off center hits? Equivalent to shanking an iron essentialy?

Or do all shafts disintegrate after a few hits millimeters heelside of the sweet spot?

Well, it needs to be a bit more heel side than a few millimeters - but not necessarily as bad as a full hosel rocket.  Probably 3/4" to 1" heel side on a driver could potentially do it.  Maybe little less if they happen frequently.    Some shafts may be better than others although none are immune.  It can sometimes just take one hit, some times the damage builds up over multiple hits.  There is no hard data so only can give an educated guess.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, naj959 said:

100% I had an iron shaft break for the same reason. Was told the excess epoxy creates a weak spot in the shaft when force is applied. I'd be trying to get some type of refund from your builder and would be hesitant to use them again. 

Absolutely false.  Old wives tale that people just can't stop telling.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

A structural failure will show up almost immediately.  2 weeks into hitting it, I would have to say that it's operator error.  One thing that I've seen in the past with a breakage like that, is a that a bag that has fallen off an auto car and the driver will snap like that.  Trunk of a car or SUV and jammed in there will do the same thing.  A small nick in the shaft or a topped shot will also cause that kind of failure.  It is possible it was over-prepped, but you better have more evidence than that picture to go that route.

And.... Sometimes shite happens.

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

30 minutes ago, Socrates said:

A structural failure will show up almost immediately.  2 weeks into hitting it, I would have to say that it's operator error.  One thing that I've seen in the past with a breakage like that, is a that a bag that has fallen off an auto car and the driver will snap like that.  Trunk of a car or SUV and jammed in there will do the same thing.  A small nick in the shaft or a topped shot will also cause that kind of failure.  It is possible it was over-prepped, but you better have more evidence than that picture to go that route.

And.... Sometimes shite happens.

2 weeks was rounding up. Received it wednesday last week hit it for the first time thursday. It's been less than 50 shots with it.

Haven't dropped the bag, haven't crammed it into the car, always used a headcover, no irons near it in the bag, no nicks or scratches visible when received, no topped drives, no duffed drives. 

Edited by Trippels

2 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

How many broken venti is this now OP?  Is this with an all fit adaptor?

One 6x and one 6tx from one vendor, one 7tx from current vendor. 6x mizuno adapter, 6tx all fit adapter, 7tx mizuno adapter.

Also have a 6TX that had an adapter removed and mizuno adapter installed here locally. This has held up just fine for the past couple of months, so that's good at least.

13 minutes ago, Trippels said:

One 6x and one 6tx from one vendor, one 7tx from current vendor. 6x mizuno adapter, 6tx all fit adapter, 7tx mizuno adapter.

Also have a 6TX that had an adapter removed and mizuno adapter installed here locally. This has held up just fine for the past couple of months, so that's good at least.

Thank you for the reply.

So three broken venti?  All at/near the tip?  What is the club length and swing weight if you don’t mind?

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

7 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Thank you for the reply.

So three broken venti?  All at/near the tip?  What is the club length and swing weight if you don’t mind?

Three yeah, all near the tip. 6X 45" tipped 1", 6TX 45.5" untipped, and now 7TX 45" tipped 1"

Swing weights not measured, but whatever's standard from mizuno at those lengths. 

Guessing they've been between D1 and D6.

Tried extra head weight a few times, but only for a small number of swings.

4 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Three yeah, all near the tip. 6X 45" tipped 1", 6TX 45.5" untipped, and now 7TX 45" tipped 1"

Swing weights not measured, but whatever's standard from mizuno at those lengths. 

Guessing they've been between D1 and D6.

Tried extra head weight a few times, but only for a small number of swings.

Thanks.  All seems reasonable to me.  🤔

Thinking poor tip prep or too long of a shaft for your swing/swingweight...though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

These are a few of the threads that will pop up with a search for "broken ventus". 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/search/?q="broken ventus"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Edit:  I see you are already familiar with broken Ventus as you have posted in some of these threads.

Good luck.

Edited by bekgolf

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Already covered in my earlier post.

I haven’t read every “broken Ventus” shaft thread, so it might have already come up, but if my memory isn’t failing me, it seems to be primarily the Black X’s or TX’s that show in these threads. A couple things comes to mind… 

Players gaming a black X or TX will typically be in the higher end of the swing speed spectrum, and more speed obviously has an adverse effect on mishits in terms of vibration, torque, etc. 

But for a shaft of that quality to fail regularly in the same manner seems like more than a coincidence. Fujikura discourages tipping the black in most instances, I think? So given the context, I can’t help but think this might be a reason why. 

The black has a somewhat unique profile, with a drop in stiffness in the lower mid section, followed by an increase in stiffness in the upper tip, and finishes with a drop in stiffness to the end of the tip. I’m not a physicist by any means, but if you were to tip these shafts to a point that BBTG leaves the top of the adapter at or near the peak/height of this stiffness “hump” in the tip section, could it result in that being a stress point? Basically, less ability to withstand the forces at play during contact because the resulting tip is too stiff to pass the reaction to the softer end of the mid section? 

Again, it’s just a guess, but the result of a high swing speed player and an exaggerated, unforgivingly stiff tip might be contributing to some of the issues. Mix in a few ill timed heel strikes and you’re exacerbating the issue further. I could be off base here, obviously, but there has to be some contributing factor to this stuff. I’ve never seen a premium shaft or even a cheap one break so consistently and repeatedly for the same players. 

Edited by MFBach

6 hours ago, MFBach said:

The black has a somewhat unique profile, with a drop in stiffness in the lower mid section, followed by an increase in stiffness in the upper tip, and finishes with a drop in stiffness to the end of the tip. I’m not a physicist by any means, but if you were to tip these shafts to a point that BBTG leaves the top of the adapter at or near the peak/height of this stiffness “hump” in the tip section, could it result in that being a stress point? Basically, less ability to withstand the forces at play during contact because the resulting tip is too stiff to pass the reaction to the softer end of the mid section? 

The top of the hosel is always going to be a high stress point for off center hits.   But you can't use the EI profiles to judge how well the shaft can handle that higher stress.

All graphite shafts have a reinforced tip section to help with the stresses at the top of the hosel.   This is just in the parallel tip section and a touch beyond - so it's typically not shown in any of the EI profiles.   It it did, this would be a big increase in the EI value right about the 3-4" point - and most graphs I've seen don't have measurements that close to the tip.

So normally, if the shaft is tipped beyond the max safe tipping (typically 1-3/4" for a 3" pts) and the hosel goes above this reinforced tip section, then yes that could result in a higher change of breakage for off center hits as a result of that excess tipping.

Now the historical pattern of breakages for the Ventus' could certainly indicate a less than ideal design of this reinforced section.  Although if that were the case, the amount of tipping probably doesn't matter - a weak point will exist regardless of the amount of tipping.   

But then I haven't really payed all that much attention to the pattern or Ventus failures.   If there were a significant difference statistical pattern of breakages for tipped and untipped shafts - it might be feasible that the amount of tipping does matter.  Or it might just mean that the breakages are more common among the higher swing speed players that are more likely to tip the shaft.