Another shaft broke. Did they use too much epoxy?

Trippels

12 hours ago, Trippels said:

One 6x and one 6tx from one vendor, one 7tx from current vendor. 6x mizuno adapter, 6tx all fit adapter, 7tx mizuno adapter.

Also have a 6TX that had an adapter removed and mizuno adapter installed here locally. This has held up just fine for the past couple of months, so that's good at least.

Just a question --- are these all being built by the same person/outfit?  If so, this should raise some concern.  I've been fitting for too long and I've fit long drive guys that have 135-140mph club head speeds and their shafts don't fail (even using just stock X flex stuff --- seen it with my own eyes).  My guess is that there was either some bad prep of the shaft or as others mentioned, you're actually hitting it much more heel side than you think you are.  

Do you hit off of mats by chance?

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

15 hours ago, Trippels said:

One 6x and one 6tx from one vendor, one 7tx from current vendor. 6x mizuno adapter, 6tx all fit adapter, 7tx mizuno adapter.

You've either got to be the unluckiest guy who ever picked up a club or you're doing something that's causing these failures, though I don't have a clue what. In fifty years of playing I've broken one shaft, and that was when my bag tipped over and the driver head got caught on the rear bumper of my car.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

4 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Just a question --- are these all being built by the same person/outfit?  If so, this should raise some concern.  I've been fitting for too long and I've fit long drive guys that have 135-140mph club head speeds and their shafts don't fail (even using just stock X flex stuff --- seen it with my own eyes).  My guess is that there was either some bad prep of the shaft or as others mentioned, you're actually hitting it much more heel side than you think you are.  

Do you hit off of mats by chance?

First two breaks were built by the same shop, latest built by a different one. And the shaft I have left is built here locally. 

I do hit off mats when not on course, but don't see how that affects things when it's a driver. It doesn't touch the ground anyways. 

On 8/6/2022 at 5:20 AM, WristySwing said:

you're actually hitting it much more heel side than you think you are

I’m not trying to defend the manufacturers by any means, because the cost of premium FW shafts has become somewhat ridiculous in the last 10 years, but I think a lot of the failures posted with this type of breakage (not limited to the Ventus) are due to this. 

I’m not trying to rag on the players here either. It doesn’t mean they’re bad and I wouldn’t discredit someone’s ability by a single picture anyway. It’s a frustrating situation, especially when it’s a multiplied occurrence, so by nature we want to know what happened and who/what caused it, but we’re usually prone to questioning ourselves after the other options are exhausted. 

In instances like this, a lot of players don’t realize how much force is actually applied to that area of the shaft on a mishit. this illustration is a good representation of what we already know, for the most part. 

905423F5-2CE5-47C8-815A-8F332C18457D.jpeg.01f410af16239084a77f8cb30eda61a4.jpeg

When we miss the center of the face, the club twists around it’s COG, with strikes low on the face twisting down and strikes on the heel twisting the club face closed. Low AND heel is a BAD combination at the speeds of some of you guys are playing.

Based on the original picture, it’s not completely out of the question. It looks like there are at least a few tee marks inside the scoring lines, low on the heel. I don’t know if that’s a typical miss or a coupe bad swings at the range, but it could be your shafts are playing a little too long, amongst other things. 

094AF7FA-BDF9-472D-9D0E-7F5528A69AE5.jpeg.4fac1ad874bf8d834c6d5feb267ab812.jpeg

Check out this video of Sergio making that same contact with a driver from the fairway. Now, I know it’s not exactly the same thing and yes, he’s hitting down on the ball and making contact with the turf, but that’s not the point. 

1 - Look at HOW the club face actually turns at impact. The club face is nearly parallel to the ground and the toe is closed at least 45*. 

2 - Look at WHEN this happens. It’s not when he hits the ground. It’s when he makes contact with the ball. 

Sergio Driver

Edited by MFBach
  • Like 4

How are you usually transporting the clubs?  I know my driver really doesn’t fit in my trunk in my bag with a head cover and my driver is only 44.  I take it out before I put my clubs in so I don’t force the driver in at all.

Probably just grasping at straws but it’s either that or heel hits in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, taki27 said:

How are you usually transporting the clubs?  I know my driver really doesn’t fit in my trunk in my bag with a head cover and my driver is only 44.  I take it out before I put my clubs in so I don’t force the driver in at all.

Probably just grasping at straws but it’s either that or heel hits in my opinion.

Plenty of room during transport. So must just be heel strikes, bad luck, or more likely a combination.

20 hours ago, Trippels said:

First two breaks were built by the same shop, latest built by a different one. And the shaft I have left is built here locally. 

I do hit off mats when not on course, but don't see how that affects things when it's a driver. It doesn't touch the ground anyways. 

My bad, missed the driver part.  The driver can touch the ground though.  Even a slight ground impact every few swings at a quick swing speed can do this.  However, I still think it's heel strikes.

Bettinardi Hive Custom

15 hours ago, MFBach said:

My post wasn’t really directed at you specifically. I’ve seen players in your position find it almost unbelievable that a shaft could break because a ball was mishit though. 

I will say, having 3 of your 4 shafts break/fail in similar fashion from a heel strike alone is still incredibly unlucky and unfortunate. I mentioned it earlier ITT, and I don’t have an explanation for it, but the Ventus Black and specifically the X and TX seem to have a significantly higher rate of failure at that exact location then any other shaft I’ve ever seen. 

Maybe it’s coincidence and we hear about it more because of the popularity and prestige of the Ventus, but it’s a bit puzzling to me. Regardless, as much as players enjoy the shaft, if it’s going to continually fail in spectacular and irreparable fashion, I would do my best to find a suitable replacement. I would have a hard time shelling out $400 for a shaft that had broken during regular use multiple times. And yes, even if your miss with a driver is heel side, which we’ve all done, that’s still regular use.

I don’t like to point to swing flaws as a reason for equipment failure. I obviously don’t have any idea what your playing ability is and I don’t want to come across as condescending to a stranger in an anonymous forum either. It’s hard to say that mishits are the specific cause for failure without sounding like I’m saying it’s your fault, because in my opinion, if a company is going to charge that kind of price for a product, it should be able to withstand any range of outcomes reasonably within its intended use. If 1 shaft broke? Sure, it sucks, but it happens. 3 though? I wouldn’t buy another one, personally. 

Anyway, I’ve played Fujikura shafts for a long time and still do. I’ve never had any issues with their durability, heel misses and all. I’ve hit the full Ventus lineup, and they are great shafts, but it was a marginally better option that my current setup, so I passed for the price. Hope you can find something you like as well that stays together for you. 

To piggy back on this, I have a perfect example of this from yesterday.  I was in the bay with a player who was reasonably fast (105/106) and they had a severe O-I path with an open face and downward AoA.  I am not exaggerating when I say that some of their strikes were so bad they were probably a mm or two away from completely missing the ball and whiffing that's how little of the head they caught.  When they caught it, it was all extreme low heel.  Their average driver spin was 6000 RPMs.  Needless to say, that fit quickly turned into a lesson and a "go see a pro and I'll re-fit you again in 6 months because I can't do anything with this right now."  Anyways, long-winded story short: He broke an Accra TZ5 because of what you are describing.  Sheered it right off.

• Like 3

Bettinardi Hive Custom

32 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

Anyways, long-winded story short: He broke an Accra TZ5 because of what you are describing.  Sheered it right off.

One of my foster kids broke two of my "retired" shafts in two subsequent range sessions when I tried to transition him from a 42" driver to a 44" driver.   Only took about 3-5 heel hits before they broke.  Not even a very fast swing speed (probably high 80's to low 90's).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

One of my foster kids broke two of my "retired" shafts in two subsequent range sessions when I tried to transition him from a 42" driver to a 44" driver.   Only took about 3-5 heel hits before they broke.  Not even a very fast swing speed (probably high 80's to low 90's).

Out of curiosity, because you’ve probably been at this longer than I have, but have you noticed any difference in breakage rates since the widespread adoption of adjustable adapters?

Maybe it’s a common occurrence across the board and more posters are inclined to ask about a Ventus because of the price tag and general frustration that comes with breaking a $400 shaft. The whole tipped black X/TX thing might just be a nod to the players themselves having the SS to shear a tip in just a few swings. 

Thanks for all the good info @MFBach and @Stuart_G, this topic has always interested me as someone in the higher swing speed range (115-118mph) that is literally never broken a composite shaft. I am almost exclusively a slight toe miss player, the heel has always been a very rare miss for me. Not scientific by any means, but when someone is regularly sheering off heads with the same shafts we see played on tour every week i'd have to imagine there is a correlation, assuming the build practices are sound. 

Edited by Valtiel

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, MFBach said:

Out of curiosity, because you’ve probably been at this longer than I have, but have you noticed any difference in breakage rates since the widespread adoption of adjustable adapters?

No.  But I really haven't been at it long enough.  

Although, just based on the physics of impact and head design, an adjustable hosel really isn't any different than any other standard bore head in terms of the stresses placed on the shaft.  

If there has been any change - it's more likely due to the increase in head sizes - which means the impact can get farther from the sweet spot and put much more torque on the shaft.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Although, just based on the physics of impact and head design, an adjustable hosel really isn't any different than any other standard bore head in terms of the stresses placed on the shaft.  

If there has been any change - it's more likely due to the increase in head sizes - which means the impact can get farther from the sweet spot and put much more torque on the shaft.

Makes sense for the most part. I questioned the adapters specifically because of the marginally different insertion angles offered in those situations. It’s usually not more 2* in any direction, so it was probably a long shot anyway… just another variable I considered. Basically, if a player’s setting is -1.5* loft, could the resulting shaft insertion angle add any stress to the shaft compared to a neutral, standard bore or “straight in” setting. 

I hadn’t even considered the size of the face/club head, but that’s obviously 100% accurate. More room to miss the center of mass means more potential stress to the shaft on mishits. I’ve been wondering about this for a couple days and feel like I’ve missed the easiest explanation one could offer. Good stuff. 

• Like 2

I agree with all the comments that heel strikes are contributing to the breakages, but feel this has more to do with the adapter itself.  Mizuno doesn’t use any kind of collared ferrule to give a “buffer” between the shaft and the metal adapter.  If the shaft isn’t perfectly centered in the adapter, the shaft can rest directly against the sharp top edge of the adapter creating a shear point.  If the shaft is centered then the epoxy creates a buffer.  Not the best design in my opnion, leaves very little room for error.

Ping had a similar issue with the first few versions of their adapter until they added the rubber ferrules you now see on the current adapters.

Edited by jblough99
  • Like 1

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, jblough99 said:

I agree with all the comments that heel strikes are contributing to the breakages, but feel this has more to do with the adapter itself.  Mizuno doesn’t use any kind of collared ferrule to give a “buffer” between the shaft and the metal adapter.  

Only a collared ferule would potentially help with that - and it's not really all that much help.  And as a reference TM has never used collared ferrules with their adapter.   Yet I haven't noticed any increase in breakage percentages in their heads.    Titleist and Callaway do and now so does Ping.  Not sure but I don't think Cobra does.

It does make it more important to check for burrs at the top of the hosel bore.

34 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Only a collared ferule would potentially help with that - and it's not really all that much help.  And as a reference TM has never used collared ferrules with their adapter.   Yet I haven't noticed any increase in breakage percentages in their heads.    Titleist and Callaway do and now so does Ping.  Not sure but I don't think Cobra does.

It does make it more important to check for burrs at the top of the hosel bore.

Inexperienced builders trying to scrape epoxy out of soft aluminum adapters with pointy/sharp razor blades causes burrs in that upper area.

Also Taylormade does use a plastic ferrule at the top.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Inexperienced builders trying to scrape epoxy out of soft aluminum adapters with pointy/sharp razor blades causes burrs in that upper area.

Certainly possible.

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Also Taylormade does use a plastic ferrule at the top.

On the older adapters, it actually mounted over the metal and was glued to the adapter - didn't even touch the shaft in most cases.  And even the newer ones are not collared - so don't add any cushioning.  It's purely aesthetic.

3 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Certainly possible.

On the older adapters, it actually mounted over the metal and was glued to the adapter - didn't even touch the shaft in most cases.  And even the newer ones are not collared - so don't add any cushioning.  It's purely aesthetic.

a9b21ca9-27a9-4786-b247-d1dd7a46ab90.f8f

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Just now, Stuart_G said:

Interesting.  That's a new change.  Thanks for posting.   Do you know when they started that?   Is that stock or tour or aftermarket?

Stock nothing special. I've seen it on TM adapters since the M-line but maybe later ones like the M5/6? Not sure on exact timeline. All the 'aftermarket' adapters are like that as well since they mimic the OEM.

14 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Stock nothing special. I've seen it on TM adapters since the M-line but maybe later ones like the M5/6? Not sure on exact timeline. All the 'aftermarket' adapters are like that as well since they mimic the OEM.

M1 and M2 stock adapters were definitely not collared.   Don't think the M3's were either but not 100% since the shaft I got with mine wasn't factory.   So the M5/6 timeline seems to make sense.

Tour issue were typically all metal - no ferrules - although don't know if that's still the case.

CMX aftermarket are still all metal as well - no ferrule.  Not aware of any other proper aftermarket brands.   Although course you never know what you'll get with the chinese knock offs.

Edited by Stuart_G

18 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

M1 and M2 stock adapters were definitely not collared.   Don't think the M3's were either but not 100% since the shaft I got with mine wasn't factory.   So the M5/6 timeline seems to make sense.

Tour issue were typically all metal - no ferrules - although don't know if that's still the case.

CMX aftermarket are still all metal as well - no ferrule.  Not aware of any other proper aftermarket brands.   Although course you never know what you'll get with the chinese knock offs.

All of the Taylormade adaptors I have purchased in the last 5+ years have been had collared ferrules, both the standard retail ones and the tour issued ones. The collared ferrule is plastic as well, I think the "all metal" comments that I too misinterpreted were in regards to the retail adaptors *at the time* which had these plastic outer collars:

1832216176_ScreenShot2022-08-08at11_58_12PM.png.156e0825b4c38654a298ed94f9a14aed.png

Whereas the tour issued adaptors looked (and still do) like this:

2091659586_ScreenShot2022-08-08at11_59_52PM.png.6ffd7e3f758a4bc4af820e7ca3185e92.png

Solid metal instead of the outer plastic collar, but still a plastic collared ferrule. This one has been the tour issue adaptor since the beginning of the M-series (2016), hence distinguishing it as "all metal" even if that was only relevant for one product cycle.

THEN in 2017 with the second version of the M1/M2, they switched to the one @third-times-a-charm posted which is still stock today:

1060311945_ScreenShot2022-08-09at12_03_42AM.png.e25d587aec41d5629574a94178502ea0.png

There are "all metal" as well just like tour issue ones, but are physically a little smaller and lighter. I think they've always tried to shave as much weight as possible off the stock adaptors to hit their swingweight target while being 45.75" stock, hence having a plastic outer collar on the "older" version, fluting in the metal on the versions before that (SLDR, R9), and a why the newer/current version is necked down like a bullet casing. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel   The all metal tour issue adapters I was referring to were really all metal.  No plastic at all.   That started back in the first gen adapter days.  They were popular for a while as they made swapping out much easier since you didn't have to worry about having to replace the plastic outer ferrule.   The plastic outer collars was just the original "ferrule" design - used on all non-tour issue from the R9 through to the R1.  After that it was sporadically used and alternated with a design that had a very small thin, non-collared ring ferrule (RBZ 2/jetspeed adapters) at least up to the M1/2 line.    After that, I admit, I stopped paying attention to the TM adapter variants.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, Trippels said:

Also have a 6TX that had an adapter removed and mizuno adapter installed here locally. This has held up just fine for the past couple of months, so that's good at least.

Hey, just came across your post… I’ve experienced very similar occurrences with project x shafts in the last 18 months. I have had 5 hzrdus smoke green 70 6.5tx break all inside the adapter. Only one of them occurred while actually swinging. I really don’t think it’s heel strikes, as my ball flight and trajectory, along with launch monitor numbers all relatively ideal. I’ve been trying to figure out answers/solutions, but supplier I ordered from, project x, club champion, Taylor made all basically had no idea. 

On 8/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, Stuart_G said:

Common misconception - but false.

Agree doesn’t make logical sense.  

I just had a ventus red snap.  And it really is burning me up..    It snapped on the 3rd Swing in a 7 wood. 

DFABB7D8-7A72-4F16-8C84-908D840D1655.jpeg

01F5A581-FEE4-4641-9B7E-4DB3DB2DAA59.jpeg

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Agree doesn’t make logical sense.  

I just had a ventus red snap.  And it really is burning me up..    It snapped on the 3rd Swing in a 7 wood. 

DFABB7D8-7A72-4F16-8C84-908D840D1655.jpeg

01F5A581-FEE4-4641-9B7E-4DB3DB2DAA59.jpeg

The shaft didn't break. The adapter did. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

5 minutes ago, DYOS4 said:

The shaft didn't break. The adapter did. 

Both did.  There’s 3/8 inch of shaft still in the head part of the adapter. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock