Fujikura Ventus TR - Black & Red

liamw

Have a Red TR 6X inbound based solely on the TXG review.  Looking for something a little easier to work right to left.  Been a Ventus Black user since they released, the Red TR has me intrigued.

- really want to see how this plays out for you. Was impulse thinking of slapping this thing in a new TSR3 and seeing what happens. Coming from VB 6X w TSi3 8*.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, jblough99 said:

Have a Red TR 6X inbound based solely on the TXG review.  Looking for something a little easier to work right to left.  Been a Ventus Black user since they released, the Red TR has me intrigued.

Same exact thing here. My Red will be coming this Thursday and I will be putting it into play that afternoon. I am excited for the comparison!

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

3 minutes ago, Cellis said:

Same exact thing here. My Red will be coming this Thursday and I will be putting it into play that afternoon. I am excited for the comparison!

Keep us updated! Very interested in the Red myself.  

• Like 4

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

More tests........numbers are what I would expect from these shafts.

976762561_VentusTR.jpg.b88fa906e980d0fd57534ce54a059e1c.jpg

NOTE:  I have all three uncut currently that will be tested in my Stealth Plus Drivers, and upcoming Titleist TSR4 (8*).

😃

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 4

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

More tests........numbers are what I would expect from these shafts.

976762561_VentusTR.jpg.b88fa906e980d0fd57534ce54a059e1c.jpg

NOTE:  I have all three uncut currently that will be tested in my Stealth Plus Drivers, and upcoming Titleist TSR4 (8*).

😃

Will be waiting on that TR Black TSR4 8.0 review !! 

18 minutes ago, endy said:

Will be waiting on that TR Black TSR4 8.0 review !! 

Don't expect any reviews.  Just old school on the range finding what works to achieve a variety of launch, direction, distance....mainly for different course conditions, ie dry, soft...no monitors, just eyeball

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 4

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Don't expect any reviews.  Just old school on the range finding what works to achieve a variety of launch, direction, distance....mainly for different course conditions, ie dry, soft...no monitors, just eyeball

I’ll expect what I want to expect LOL !! Kidding aside, that’s the way to do it! 

• Like 1

I've played the Ventus Black 6x (No Tipping) for most of this summer and liked it alot.  I bought the TR Red and tipped it 1 inch because it looked appealing and i honestly thought i could get more distance if i added some launch while not adding a ton of spin.  (Drive it around 290-315 if hit well).  

I've only played about 10 driver shots with the Red and have to get some of the timing difference down but really think this is a contender.  A few shots i hit with it definitely intrigued me as it is not "loose" for me at the tip and feels as if i can gain some from it. 

more to come.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

Anyone testing Blue TR 7tx ?

I am in a stealth plus 3 wood…its great. Just holds its line, whatever swing I put on it that’s where it’s going haha. Nice mid launch and easy to elevate off the deck. Definitely tightened up over the X version, which I loved to lose left. 

• Like 1

First round with the Red TR 6x yesterday and I was absolutely blown away! Would really describe it as a happy marriage between the OG Red and Black. Was able to find the center of the face far easier than with anything else I've gamed recently.

• Like 4

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

52 minutes ago, xandersingh said:

First round with the Red TR 6x yesterday and I was absolutely blown away! Would really describe it as a happy marriage between the OG Red and Black. Was able to find the center of the face far easier than with anything else I've gamed recently.

What shaft were you gaming previously?

2 hours ago, remarkc21 said:

What shaft were you gaming previously?

Been all over the place but had most success with Ventus black and Hzrdus black

Edited by xandersingh

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

1 Week Update

To supplement my previous post, I wanted to share my experiences so far with the Ventus TR Black 6x after playing with it for about a week.

WOW is this a great shaft. As I shared in my previous post, I switched from a Ventus Black 6TX. Really liked that shaft but at my SS (118mph with a neutral transition, nothing too aggressive) I felt that the shaft was a little too stiff especially when I got tired during a round. Decided to try the TR Black because on paper, the specs are almost the same except the stiffness in the handle portion on the TR Black (72 per Fujikura's website) is a little softer than the VB 6TX (64) while still maintaining a lower torque than the VB 6X (2.9 vs 3.1). 

I've played 4 rounds with the TR and it has amazed me. I feel like I'm able to load the shaft a little more than the Black TX, while being  much more aware of where the club is. On the trackman, I've gained about 3mph ballspeed while maintaining the same spin number. I think this is because I'm able to load the shaft a little more. But by no means is it loose. My misses are actually better with the TR Black, as my pulls are dead straight with little to no hook, my pushes are dead straight and not ballooning (which normally happens with my pushes), and my centered shots are piercing, not a particularly high ball flight which is what I prefer. I even hit one almost completely off the toe (which is my normal miss) and the ball went dead straight.

The biggest difference for me is that throughout the round I feel like I can really go after it with this shaft without feeling fatigued or worried that the shaft is gonna get away from me, as in all 4 of my rounds my best drives came in the latter parts of the back 9. Definitely gonna be my gamer shaft for the rest of the year. 

Disclaimer: I've paired this shaft with a Stealth Plus 9deg and I trimmed the shaft so it's at a 45" playing length, as I do with all my driver shafts.

Side note, also have a Ventus TR Red 7X coming in for my 3 wood so excited to try that out. 

• Like 3

Stealth Plus 9.0 - Ventus TR Black 6X

Stealth Plus 15.0 - Ventus TR Black 7X

Stealth Plus 19.0 - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Stealth UDI 17.0 - Ventus Black 9TX

Taylormade P790 3 - Ventus Blue 10X

Titleist T100s 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.10S - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 56.10S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 60.12D - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, btsg808 said:

1 Week Update

To supplement my previous post, I wanted to share my experiences so far with the Ventus TR Black 6x after playing with it for about a week.

WOW is this a great shaft. As I shared in my previous post, I switched from a Ventus Black 6TX. Really liked that shaft but at my SS (118mph with a neutral transition, nothing too aggressive) I felt that the shaft was a little too stiff especially when I got tired during a round. Decided to try the TR Black because on paper, the specs are almost the same except the stiffness in the handle portion on the TR Black (72 per Fujikura's website) is a little softer than the VB 6TX (64) while still maintaining a lower torque than the VB 6X (2.9 vs 3.1). 

I've played 4 rounds with the TR and it has amazed me. I feel like I'm able to load the shaft a little more than the Black TX, while being  much more aware of where the club is. On the trackman, I've gained about 3mph ballspeed while maintaining the same spin number. I think this is because I'm able to load the shaft a little more. But by no means is it loose. My misses are actually better with the TR Black, as my pulls are dead straight with little to no hook, my pushes are dead straight and not ballooning (which normally happens with my pushes), and my centered shots are piercing, not a particularly high ball flight which is what I prefer. I even hit one almost completely off the toe (which is my normal miss) and the ball went dead straight.

The biggest difference for me is that throughout the round I feel like I can really go after it with this shaft without feeling fatigued or worried that the shaft is gonna get away from me, as in all 4 of my rounds my best drives came in the latter parts of the back 9. Definitely gonna be my gamer shaft for the rest of the year. 

Disclaimer: I've paired this shaft with a Stealth Plus 9deg and I trimmed the shaft so it's at a 45" playing length, as I do with all my driver shafts.

Side note, also have a Ventus TR Red 7X coming in for my 3 wood so excited to try that out. 

I share similar thoughts but right now I feel a little better in the black TX. I think moving forward the TR 6x will be my gamer once I keep getting more time in with it. It’s a really great shaft and I get better numbers but the handle is a little softer and gives it some feel while retaining the ventus standard in stability. I have mine paired with a stealth 9° as well. What is your shaft tipped?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

I share similar thoughts but right now I feel a little better in the black TX. I think moving forward the TR 6x will be my gamer once I keep getting more time in with it. It’s a really great shaft and I get better numbers but the handle is a little softer and gives it some feel while retaining the ventus standard in stability. I have mine paired with a stealth 9° as well. What is your shaft tipped?

Playing it standard, haven't tipped the TR Black. It was butt trimmed to 44"

On 8/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, jmorrow020 said:

I can personally say the TR Black has ALOT of feel. If you are a Ventus Black guy rn, or a TR Blue guy looking for the same feel just a little tighter,  definitely try the TR Black. 

It's funny how this guy said that he couldn't feel the head in the OG black and the new TR is somehow better.  And now more people here are claiming they had the same experience. I'm curious to know how a making a shaft stiffer helps you feel the head better because it doesn't seem to make sense.  

Anyways, I just bought the OG black after gaming the OG blue for a couple years.  Not because the OG blue wasn't working great, but because I just felt like trying it.  I'll probably try the TR at some point, but I can feel the head just fine and its working just fine for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoCalHack said:

It's funny how this guy said that he couldn't feel the head in the OG black and the new TR is somehow better.  And now more people here are claiming they had the same experience. I'm curious to know how a making a shaft stiffer helps you feel the head better because it doesn't seem to make sense.  

It depends on stiffness profile how each player personally interprets the "real" into "feel." 

Driver SS 114, 45.5" playing length, D1.5 swing weight, Raijin 65 FOUR shaft.

For example, when I swing regular flex shafts, I say "I can't feel the head", when I should be saying "I lose the head." I do feel where the head is, but it's so variable (probably due to overflexing the shaft) that it's far less precise. It can feel it up or down or left or right or even twisted, and it can change swing to swing or even midswing due to the overflex so while I can technically feel the head, I'm feeling it all over the place. So I lose it. This was the case with the original shaft in my driver, Atmos TS Blue 6R. I had to dial my swing down to 102, 103 to get consistent feel and contact.

With the Raijin 2.0, it's an XS shaft (they play stiff to flex, the FIVE is like a full TX) and this feel is much more consistent, I feel the head much better. Because it's heavier, it helps with my tempo and I can connect the power transfers better and time my release better. I can get much better feel and contact, as the shaft flexes in a much more predictable way. It feels linearly stiff except for a small section just below the grip, which also helps increase my feel and achieve better contact. It's more stable than the usual blueboard and not as boardy as a whiteboard.

-------------------------------------------

My theory with the Black TR is that the extra stiffness being centered in the handle from the new construction process raises the handle stiffness up to the point of essentially mirroring the Ventus Blue EI profile but a magnitude of flex higher. As if you took the right half of the Black profile and moved it vertically 2 boxes. I.e. Ventus Black TR 6S = Ventus Blue 6X with lower torque rating and more stability. So for anyone (like me) who liked the feel of the Ventus Blue but didn't find it stiff enough would appreciate the Black TR. From my personal testing, the Black TR 6X felt like a tighter, and maybe slightly stouter Blue 7X, with most of the active feel, but in a lighter package. As always, YMMV.

(Picture taken from golfshaftreviews.info)

Capture 2.PNG

• Thanks 1

2 rounds in now with TR Black 6x and its noticeably smoother than original Black. With original Black I had to swing 100%+ to  make it work but the results were awesome and consistent. Less than 100% and I would struggle closing the face and hit a soft push right

TR Black is still extremely stable and eliminates the left side for me but its easier for me to hit good drives with this than Black

So far I dont like the 7x in the 300 mini. I originally ordered TR Red 7x tipped 2" but Will did not have it in yet. Since I'm not patient at all I had him send the Black TR so I could play it immediately for my last saturday round

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

13 hours ago, Valtiel said:

It all depends on what parts were made stiffer or were changed. The OG Black 6x and 7x were quite different profiles with the 6x being very stout and quite light for a 60g weight class shaft and the 7x being on the heavier side, around 15g difference between the two, with a stiffer handle and softer mid/tip. Having two different parts out there as part of the same lineup is great for gathering data on what to do with a potential follow up, and the fact that the Black TR 6x falls exactly halfway between the OG 6x and 7x in terms of weight combined with the initial feedback of "more/better feel" suggests that they split the difference between the two designs, likely tweaking handle and mid stiffness. We'll have to see some 3rd party EI profiles to know anything for sure though.   

11 hours ago, Zena said:

It depends on stiffness profile how each player personally interprets the "real" into "feel." 

Driver SS 114, 45.5" playing length, D1.5 swing weight, Raijin 65 FOUR shaft.

For example, when I swing regular flex shafts, I say "I can't feel the head", when I should be saying "I lose the head." I do feel where the head is, but it's so variable (probably due to overflexing the shaft) that it's far less precise. It can feel it up or down or left or right or even twisted, and it can change swing to swing or even midswing due to the overflex so while I can technically feel the head, I'm feeling it all over the place. So I lose it. This was the case with the original shaft in my driver, Atmos TS Blue 6R. I had to dial my swing down to 102, 103 to get consistent feel and contact.

With the Raijin 2.0, it's an XS shaft (they play stiff to flex, the FIVE is like a full TX) and this feel is much more consistent, I feel the head much better. Because it's heavier, it helps with my tempo and I can connect the power transfers better and time my release better. I can get much better feel and contact, as the shaft flexes in a much more predictable way. It feels linearly stiff except for a small section just below the grip, which also helps increase my feel and achieve better contact. It's more stable than the usual blueboard and not as boardy as a whiteboard.

-------------------------------------------

My theory with the Black TR is that the extra stiffness being centered in the handle from the new construction process raises the handle stiffness up to the point of essentially mirroring the Ventus Blue EI profile but a magnitude of flex higher. As if you took the right half of the Black profile and moved it vertically 2 boxes. I.e. Ventus Black TR 6S = Ventus Blue 6X with lower torque rating and more stability. So for anyone (like me) who liked the feel of the Ventus Blue but didn't find it stiff enough would appreciate the Black TR. From my personal testing, the Black TR 6X felt like a tighter, and maybe slightly stouter Blue 7X, with most of the active feel, but in a lighter package. As always, YMMV.

(Picture taken from golfshaftreviews.info)

Capture 2.PNG

Your explanations make sense but I'd say everyone's experience would be different.  "Head feel" means different things to different people.  I'm sure that Rory, Tiger and Scheffler can feel the head just fine on the OG black. 

I worry that people who find the OG black too stiff will read these testimonials and think, wow!  I should go buy the TR black because it's going to increase my head feel.    Actually I used the word "worry", which is wrong.  I don't worry at all.  How people spend their $350 is their business, even if it's buying a shaft that turns out to be rebar for them.    

1 hour ago, NoCalHack said:

Your explanations make sense but I'd say everyone's experience would be different.  "Head feel" means different things to different people.  I'm sure that Rory, Tiger and Scheffler can feel the head just fine on the OG black. 

I worry that people who find the OG black too stiff will read these testimonials and think, wow!  I should go buy the TR black because it's going to increase my head feel.    Actually I used the word "worry", which is wrong.  I don't worry at all.  How people spend their $350 is their business, even if it's buying a shaft that turns out to be rebar for them.    

100% agree. That’s why I started the post with “how each player personally interprets.” My feels are my own.

To me, there’s a difference between “too stiff” and “no feel.” I can feel the head plenty on an OG Black 8X but I don’t feel the shaft activate. And again, personal feels, and not everyone differentiates between the two.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoeFrigo said:

2 rounds in now with TR Black 6x and its noticeably smoother than original Black. With original Black I had to swing 100%+ to  make it work but the results were awesome and consistent. Less than 100% and I would struggle closing the face and hit a soft push right

TR Black is still extremely stable and eliminates the left side for me but its easier for me to hit good drives with this than Black

So far I dont like the 7x in the 300 mini. I originally ordered TR Red 7x tipped 2" but Will did not have it in yet. Since I'm not patient at all I had him send the Black TR so I could play it immediately for my last saturday round

My exact thoughts with the TR Black 6x, I noticed that it's somehow easier to hit than the OG Black yet more stable and I've seen some distance gains compared to the OG Black

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:43 AM, xandersingh said:

This is probably the avenue I will go down myself, good to hear!

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Unfortunately have not been able to play on course with my TR Red 6x yet, but I have spent a day on the range with it so far. I must say this shaft is very different than I expected in feel. To me the TR Red feels like a beefed up OG Black with a higher launch and more kick. I definitely like this feeling much more than the TR Blue as well. What I find interesting going off the eye ball test, I believe the TR Red is carrying about 5-6 yards shorter than the OG Black for me which seems pretty contrary to a lot of the video reviews I have been watching. Either way, I like the launch better, and more importantly I feel like dispersion is a lot better, along with the feeling I can attack it without losing control in the shaft. I have 36 holes scheduled for Sunday and Monday and am very excited for an on course test as I already feel this will find more fairways and help with my misses.

• Like 1

TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Put a TR Red 5S into play today, no practice, just warmup and take it on the course. I'm coming from an Autoflex 505X, so keep that in mind when you consider my comments.

This thing is stout to me. Nothing about it feels loose whatsoever. It has minimal but a tight kick for me. Every time I tee'd off, when i hit a decent/good shot, it felt like I lost distance compared to the Autoflex, but went I walked up to my ball, it was just as far out as when I hit my Autoflex well. 

Dispersion was better for me than I have had recently with the Autoflex. Seems like I had less curvature with TR Red than the Autoflex. And maybe it is in my head, but I felt like there was less negative gear effect with the TR Red. I hit one way off the toe and it was still a tight draw instead of some sort of big hook.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Cellis said:

Unfortunately have not been able to play on course with my TR Red 6x yet, but I have spent a day on the range with it so far. I must say this shaft is very different than I expected in feel. To me the TR Red feels like a beefed up OG Black with a higher launch and more kick. I definitely like this feeling much more than the TR Blue as well. What I find interesting going off the eye ball test, I believe the TR Red is carrying about 5-6 yards shorter than the OG Black for me which seems pretty contrary to a lot of the video reviews I have been watching. Either way, I like the launch better, and more importantly I feel like dispersion is a lot better, along with the feeling I can attack it without losing control in the shaft. I have 36 holes scheduled for Sunday and Monday and am very excited for an on course test as I already feel this will find more fairways and help with my misses.

Well 18 holes in, super impressed. My miss is normally left and this shaft feels very anti left which definitely gives me the confidence to swing more freely. I hope to get it on a trackman soon because I am very curious of my numbers, especially spin. The biggest challenge I have is whether I want to put a 7x in my 3W or not…. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade  TP5 Pix