3 Iron Spot: what club is a must? Hybrid, utility, or driving iron.

LowAndLeft32

I’m in need of something in the place of the three iron. Home course has two long par 3s and one tight short par 4 where I need something off the tee. This to me is a tricky spot. So many options and there seems to be little consensus. I’m leaning utlityish club but no real preference. Looking to see if the group has a club(s) that are favored. Thx. 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

You’ll hear all those options mentioned. For me it’s almost always a 20, 21 degree hybrid. I love the versatility and how good they are out of the rough and fairway. Driving iron is better off the tee however in most cases.  Some will say hybrids are hooky but I’m not a believer in that. The swing produced the hooks. 

• Like 3

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I am not one that follows trends.  Even at 70yrs old, I still rely on a 2 iron along with 3i-PW, SW & LW, and 4wd and Driver.  I use the 2i on short Par 4's and 2i-4i on long Par 3's, depends on conditions.  I may pull the 4wd instead.  My current bag setup gets me around anything under 6700yds.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

5 minutes ago, mogc60 said:

You’ll hear all those options mentioned. For me it’s almost always a 20, 21 degree hybrid. I love the versatility and how good they are out of the rough and fairway. Driving iron is better off the tee however in most cases.  Some will say hybrids are hooky but I’m not a believer in that. The swing produced the hooks. 

I echo that sentiment above. Hybrids have more versatility from rough and poor lies. They will also land softer into par 5s. Utility clubs are better off tee. 

• Like 2

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Sounds like you're mostly concerned with tee shots -- try a game improvement 3 iron with the same shaft as the rest of your irons.  Or even SGI -- just something that's at least one level "easier" than the rest of your irons.

When I was playing more, I had a set of TM R7 irons with PX 6.0 shafts, and the 3 from that set was one of my favorite tee clubs.  Off the ground, I couldn't do much more than hit a low runner with it, but off the tee it was phenomenal.

Similarly, I knew a guy that was close to a scratch, played some sort of forged cavity back irons in most of his set (think MP60 or similar), and for years he carried an old Big Bertha 2 iron -- huge sole, easy to get in the air, and he could just hammer it.

• Like 4

I have always had issues with a standard hybrid and have been playing a driving iron the last few years. I recently dropped the TM P790 UDI 2iron for a Mizuno Pro 225 3iron and have been very very pleased. I was looking for a fairway finder that I could either step on or take some off and I always had issues with the p790 UDI other than just ripping it. The new 3iron is anywhere from 220-240 and incredibly forgiving for me. 

• Like 1

I somehow play all three, 17* UW, 19 driving utility iron, and 22* hybrid. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

For the reasons you mentioned I would stay away from a driving iron. If however you would like to expand the versatility of that club spot to run out when fairways are hard/baked, flight shots low under the wind, or hit low shots under trees/hazards, I would strongly consider it.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Hybrid

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Hybrid,  mainly for gapping purposes.

3 iron just doesn’t fly far enough, 5 wood goes a touch too far. A 7 wood goes too high for the region I play most of my golf in.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Really depends.  Driving iron will come off lower and have a flatter trajectory and roll out more than the hybrid equivalent.  Go with hybrid if you want something that launches higher and stops faster. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

If tee shots and par 3's (both shots that you get to tee it up) are your two main concerns, then I'd pick a iron/utility/driving iron if you are a better ball striker or person with a naturally higher ball flight and I'd go with the hybrid if you tend to want a touch more forgiveness (or the par 3's are all carry) or are have a lower ball flight normally.  

If par 5 scoring was more of the focus, the 7w would make more sense.  It really does just boil down to what you want the club to do and what weakness you'd like it to help with a bit.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I have recently gone over to a Hybrid, before that I had a 3 iron in the bag and loved it. It took me a long time to find a Hybrid that gave me the accuracy of an iron but the versatility that you get with the Hybrid design. It was worth trying as many options you can get your hands on, you might find something you just click with. 

Edited by craz-e
  • Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

You're gonna get a ton of different opinions, just like everything in here so far.  What you need to do is hit all three (if you can), and compile numbers (if you can) that will serve the purpose you want for the long par 3's and tight par 4 your aiming this spot in the bag at. I would vote hybrid due to the ability to launch higher, potentially generate more spin, and for better use on shots out of the rough/areas you didn't describe a need.  Get the right shaft and they don't go left. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

I agree with @zdtallan and @GoTime.  Testing will be the only way to know though what works for you. 

I use the Apex UW 17* and 21* due to their versatility. These clubs are great from tee, deck or rough. I use them in the scenarios you described in your original post. I was using hybrids, but the Apex UW is difficult to beat. The Apex UW can be long so the 19* has been successful for others in this scenario as well. 

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

New Level NLU with the right shaft.   Great off the tee and can be picked off of the deck easily. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Given you're asking for horse-for-course, your best bet is to decide which is more important… landing the par-3 with a descent angle favourable to holding those greens, or a par-4 with some rollout.

I'm going to assume based on your post two things: 1) 3i isn't ideal because you can't hit it high enough, and 2) you're after some dispersion help since you're describing 3 tee shots.

The correct answer depends on how high you hit a ball. If you're trying to hold a green at that distance, ideally you're going to want around 47º descent angle, probably. So if you were hitting a 3i and it was coming down like that, you hit 3i. That's not what you're seeing, so likely you're getting rollout and no hold. So depending on your hybrid, utility, or fairway wood, the height would be the easiest indicator. A 7-wood is the opposite end. You might hit it too high, but probably not as discussed. If you prefer a hybrid, great, but get a shaft flex and type that allows higher flight. You'll probably want to make sure your spin is also a little higher, since you want to land it.

These attributes will be opposite other situations… so for example I would carry a 3w if you're going to have a 7w. The 3w will roll out, the 7w will not (generally).

Avoid "driving irons", but some hollow utility irons can also do the trick. A "fat-bottomed" 3-iron SGI style might work if you prefer irons. I always play a "chunky" 4-iron for those reasons. Anyhow, you'll need to experiment. I'm going to guess you'll end up with a 19ish hybrid with a softer flex than you normally play, but let the data guide you. Good luck.

Edited by karstens_ghost
low -> soft
  • Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

It's one of the more finicky "confidence" clubs so you'll likely have to try a bunch of things to narrow down likes and dislikes. After fiddling with that spot a ton over the last year i've settled on back on the original X-forged UT simply because it does everything reasonably well while being the most accurate dispersion wise. I like the fractionally beefier utility irons in that spot. A little friendlier looking than a P790 or U500, but smaller than the the U505's or Srixon U85. The ZX Utility is as big as I like to see which is great for a 2i tee club, but something just a little more compact in the next slot down. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Currently playing a 19° hy and a 18° udi, then to a 22° 4i.  Thought process is the hybrid will fly 200+ and stop and the udi will go 195 and run out. Only playing 3 wedges Currently. 46°pw, 50°gw, 56°sw.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I have 3 clubs in between driver and my 4 iron: 

King Tec Hybrids - you will not find a more adjustable hybrid on the market….. they are also anti left. I hook hybrids like crazy. 

i have the 21, 19 and 17. Each loft is +/- 1.5* and there are three adjustable weights on the sole.  They are the same size as the callaway UW. So an oversized hybrid or undersized wood. 

the 21 plays a 21

19 down 1 at 18

17 down 1.5* at 15.5

I currently only carry the 15.5 and 21.  I swap these in and out of the bag. The 18 is perfect when I am carrying mini driver. 

They really let you dial in the top of your bag. 

Check out the TXG review on them. They really show how the weights and loft adjustments are used to manipulate ball flight. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zdtallan said:

You're gonna get a ton of different opinions, just like everything in here so far.  What you need to do is hit all three (if you can), and compile numbers (if you can) that will serve the purpose you want for the long par 3's and tight par 4 your aiming this spot in the bag at. I would vote hybrid due to the ability to launch higher, potentially generate more spin, and for better use on shots out of the rough/areas you didn't describe a need.  Get the right shaft and they don't go left. 

That. For me the best club for the job is a 16 degree 2 Hybrid, but what works for me, or anyone else, doesn't mean it will work for you. You might as well be asking people which will taste better to you, chicken, fish or beef.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft