Switching/Switched to Oversize Grips

mvhoffman

It all started with tendinitis in the elbow and arthritis developing in my right middle and ring finger...  Rebuilt all of the clubs to graphite shafts and LOVE IT.  I did 18 holes so far, about 4 range session with the graphite and NO elbow pain AT ALL.  The last part of the equation is the finger pain.  I tried a variation of different grips.  Midsize with build up, regular with build up, Velvet, Iomic style, etc... all failures as I still have the hand pain.  Ended up with Lamkin Sonar Tour Ribbed standard with 4 wraps underneath.  I can play with them, I can practice with them.  The graphite change has made a big difference however my fingers still hurt.  It seems no matter what I do they hurt.  i went to Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday and tried every different grip I could try.  The only ones that did not hurt at all were the Winn and Superstroke grips.  After realizing i'm an old man now (40) i made the conscious decision last night that If i want to continue playing and practicing at a good level and getting my handicap back down to single figures I needed not just performance, but comfort.  

Yesterday I was on marketplace and found some grips for sale, the UST Mamiya Soft Touch Wrap Grips.  I was discussing the grips with the seller and he explained that the size is in between the Winn midsize and Oversize and feels very much like the Superstroke (just a tad bit firmer than the Winn).  I was very intrigued.  I couldn't find much info on them as they are a few years old, but long story short while searching for info i found a set on ebay for $30 from Virginia so they should be here early next week.  I told the seller on Marketplace and he is going to sell me a back up set once I get them if I like them (which he assures me that I will).

I have a practice round next Thursday and then a tournament on Saturday so I am really hoping that they work out.  I'm hoping that I can get them on Wed at the latest so i can hit up the range once before playing.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

i'm gonna stick with the $30 option.  i was looking at the CPX however it was still irritating my "injury"

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

OP, I feel your pain.  I have permanent sensory and motor nerve damage to my hands due to an autoimmune nerve disorder I suffered 10 years ago.  Came back to the game a year ago.  Tried dozens of different grips of all sizes, textures, tapers, etc.  Spent hundreds.  Some felt good in my hands but not when installed.  Some did not absorb the shock especially from iron shots hit off firm fairways.  Painful.  Other grips that did absorb the shock felt too squishy on the downswing and led to inconsistent strikes.  Some oversize ones were too heavy and dropped 3-5 swingweight points.

Personally, found that Winn grips provided the best shock absorption and that was key.  Tried most of them.  Settled on the Winn Dri-Tac wrap oversize.  Kept swingweight the same as they are 51g.  Perfect diameter, feel, texture and high shock absorption for me.  No more pain or hand fatigue.

No shortcuts as you already know.  Have to try as many as you can.  Eventually your hands will tell you.  Good luck in your search.

Edited by anser85029

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

1 hour ago, anser85029 said:

OP, I feel your pain.  I have permanent sensory and motor nerve damage to my hands due to an autoimmune nerve disorder I suffered 10 years ago.  Came back to the game a year ago.  Tried dozens of different grips of all sizes, textures, tapers, etc.  Spent hundreds.  Some felt good in my hands but not when installed.  Some did not absorb the shock especially from iron shots hit off firm fairways.  Painful.  Other grips that did absorb the shock felt too squishy on the downswing and led to inconsistent strikes.  Some oversize ones were too heavy and dropped 3-5 swingweight points.

Personally, found that Winn grips provided the best shock absorption and that was key.  Tried most of them.  Settled on the Winn Dri-Tac wrap oversize.  Kept swingweight the same as they are 51g.  Perfect diameter, feel, texture and high shock absorption for me.  No more pain or hand fatigue.

No shortcuts as you already know.  Have to try as many as you can.  Eventually your hands will tell you.  Good luck in your search.

thanks for the good response.  I am looking forward to the grips coming (monday as per tracking).  Way back in the day the best golf that I was playing i had Winn grips on my clubs.  Don't really know why I ever went away from them.  Thankfully I have found some great deals on grips so my stockpile isn't terribly expensive.  I should say the money pit isn't too deep.  The majority of the sets have been used once or twice and i end up regripping friends clubs and using them.  They love that they can get "new" grips cheap.  They know I used them once or twice... i'm not one of those shady people.  

Right now it will be just dialing in on the sizing.  These oversized I think should be right in my wheelhouse.  Winn midsize never really felt much different to me than their standard size and i always wanted a little more beef on them.  i was told the durability on these UST grips are substantially better than Winn so i'm hoping they last a bit.  Also the weight per grip is 48 grams according to an old webpage I found with the UST grips on them.  There should be no issues with swing weight!  Not having to add 4 wraps to every club will be a nice thing as well.  I'd like to be able to not think about the grips and just grab my clubs and go.  

Edited by mvhoffman
  • Like 1

Winn oversize = Golf Pride midsize in my hands

• Like 1

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

18 minutes ago, anser85029 said:

Winn oversize = Golf Pride midsize in my hands

that's kind of what I figured after spending some time at DSG trying some out.  i'm keeping my fingers crossed they work and i can be done on the search for now

27 minutes ago, JCAG said:

One note of caution is grip weight. I have seen oversize grips in the 75gram range when their standard model was 50grams (generally considered the standard grip weight) which makes for 25grams of back weighting. Not something to sneeze at.

Nope, very conscious of that. Total weight for the ones I’m getting are 48 grams. No difference really from a standard grip. 

So your hanging up the clubs when your 2 sets of grips where out? Just kidding, but if these are extremely rare you may want to keep testing other options, so you can find something readily available.

• Haha 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

If you decide to try something different, the Jumbomax Ultralite XS is really good, as mentioned above. Great tackiness, great feel. I don’t wear a glove anymore with these.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

31 minutes ago, WasatchBogey said:

If you decide to try something different, the Jumbomax Ultralite XS is really good, as mentioned above. Great tackiness, great feel. I don’t wear a glove anymore with these.

thanks.  I will see how these go and go from there.  I was actually wondering how leather grips compare with cushion to Winn style grips?  if they are super firm or not?  Im open to Winn grips as well if these wear out.  If i do like them I will start the search to find a lot of them somewhere in a box (ebay/marketplace).  As of now they are scheduled for monday delivery which means i can get them on almost immediately.  I'm just hoping they do okay with the air installation that i use.

Grips are on and as of now, they DO NOT hurt my fingers!!!  Ive gone the way of blowing grips on and even with the compressor I had to use some solvent to get them going and seated.  Hit a few wedges in the back yard and it seems to be working so far!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, 596 said:

Btw.. old? 40? Wait till you get over 60 and see what happens.

I have arthritis in my back, hands and elbows.  I use all Jumbo Max L and XL grips. Totally awesome grips! Not only size wise but feel wise too. I'll never go back to a regular size grip. 

Yes Sir, 65 here and been using the Jumbomax Ultralight XL's now for almost 7 years. I didn't swap because of arthritis or anything though. I went to the 1-plane DeChambeau swing ( his original swing ) and have never looked back.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

4241239B-38EE-49C9-A5ED-77E2406ACCD4.jpeg.28eb352b72b9dcdf729f5621109d354b.jpegFC045573-B42B-4965-8AFC-C575C7E8283B.jpeg.60ec5f3808339d1e57dd41d24ba25c37.jpegEC1D10C2-539D-4DB7-90E3-36BB97B4E3AC.jpeg.effcb0d848ad37c844ef3a17f1c9c2ad.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

Ive gone the way of blowing grips on and even with the compressor I had to use some solvent to get them going and seated

I've found the same thing, installing leather.  A hint at the tip of shaft and the grip opening.

Also use a somewhat light brushing of contact cement on the sides of the painters tape, for peace of mind.  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

41 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've found the same thing, installing leather.  A hint at the tip of shaft and the grip opening.

Also use a somewhat light brushing of contact cement on the sides of the painters tape, for peace of mind.  

let me ask since I have not used a leather grip and there are no places around me that sells them.  Are they firmer grips than Winn style or is there that cushion on them as a winn has?  I would love to just say screw it and go leather, but not being able to try them is a downfall.  I guess I could just order 1 and try it, but well... i'm cheap

33 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

let me ask since I have not used a leather grip and there are no places around me that sells them.  Are they firmer grips than Winn style or is there that cushion on them as a winn has?  I would love to just say screw it and go leather, but not being able to try them is a downfall.  I guess I could just order 1 and try it, but well... i'm cheap

I think it's "some of each."  I tried Best Grips Microperf, which I find to be a bit firmer.  I'm using the GripMaster Roo, which I find a bit softer, though I'd not call them soft.  The GripMaster Perforated grip is firmer than the Roo.  Also have a set with the GripMaster Kidd grips, which I think are a bit softer.

I'm not sure I'd call any of the ones I've tried "soft," though.  Not soft such as Winn grips are, certainly.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I think it's "some of each."  I tried Best Grips Microperf, which I find to be a bit firmer.  I'm using the GripMaster Roo, which I find a bit softer, though I'd not call them soft.  The GripMaster Perforated grip is firmer than the Roo.  Also have a set with the GripMaster Kidd grips, which I think are a bit softer.

I'm not sure I'd call any of the ones I've tried "soft," though.  Not soft such as Winn grips are, certainly.

thanks for the reply.  i may order one just to see what they are all about

• Like 1

Range session 1 in the bag...

takeaways would be that they are very comfortable.  my hands do not hurt at all.  this is giving me the confidence to actually practice and hopefully play some good golf here coming up.  What is weird is that at no point did i feel that i had a right miss.  If anything the balls were going a little right because i simply was not turning over like i did previously.  it completely made me feel like the more i went after it i could turn them over no problem and not have to worry about a hook.  Still getting used to the lighter clubs.  not that the swing weights are different, just going from 120-130g steel shafts to 85 gram graphite is a big switch and I was getting a little quick with them but still 95% better on my crap shots than with the steel.  Dispersion actually seems to have tightened up a bit which is the opposite than I thought would happen.  

Tournament Saturday so i am chomping at the bit to get out there to the course.  The range... I hate.  no direction, no consequence, however it was nice to get out there and swing.  Conditions here in NEPA are super dry and hard on all of the public ranges.  Cant wait to see how the clubs do on the course that has some grass on the ground.

Thanks for everyones comments and well wishes for everyone following my threads of turning 40 and having to completely redesign my bag and game.

• Like 1