Looking for some advice for a unique new golfer - NOT A BST post

MocGolfer

Thanks...

Any advice on where to go or fitting advice etc or whatever you wish to add to the conversation.

This guy wants to start playing on weekends with his buddies....has never played.

Okay, I could usually handle this..but this guy is 7-0 with a 7-10 wingspan. He is in early 20s and athletic.

Length? Does his extra long arms negate some of his height? I saw one website saying his height clubs should be 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer.

Flex? I would guess Stiff as a minimum, but as a new golfer he may not swing extra hard.

He has a limited budget (around $400) and going to a fitter for a fitting and custom clubs is not an option.

Any new complete sets worth looking into?

Any recommendations on where to look are appreciated...any advice at all.

THANKS

• Like 1

If he can get his wrist to floor measurement , you can start there with his length. Swing by a shop somewhere and get on the Mizuno shaft optimizer to give him options for shafts. They may charge a few $ but really shouldn't , we don't. Once you figure out length needed and shaft search the web for used clubs and I would suggest a couple of degrees upright. Adding extensions is an option s well as bending , but with a budget of $400 , that'll eat a lot of it up if you aren't able to find a build already a match for his height. 

Wrist to floor link.

https://www.curated.com/journal/70000/how-to-determine-the-right-golf-club-length

Edited by golffeen007
  • Like 1

At that height, I couldn't imagine anything less than stiff flex working for him.  Even an uncoordinated person with that kind of leverage would swing it in the 100's.  If he is somehow in the 90's, he won't be for long.

As for a set, I see two options.  If that's his budget, he's going to have to stretch it a bit for brand new.  I'd suggest the Callaway Edge complete set that Costco sells.  They offer stiff flex.  That's about $550 with tax included.  Expect another $50 or so to have the grips removed, shaft extenders installed (he will absolutely need the shafts extended), and grips re-installed.  While we're on the topic of grips, there's a good chance he has monstrous hands and would need Midsize or Jumbo grips.  Probably worth it to go with new grips instead of paying for the labor just to have the originals re-installed.  All-in, he might get this setup for $700.

Option 2 is to buy a used set that is already built close to his specs.  Probably going to have to get an iron set that's a few years old, at least, and then buy the driver and woods individually.  Used prices are not kind right now, so I'm not overly sure he could pull this off for less than $600, let alone $400.  If the $400 is a hard cap, we're talking about a full bag that is a decade old.  I have a 10 year old driver that still usually sells for north of 100 bucks.  For a beginner, a combo iron set with hybrids at the top of the bag would make a lot of sense.  I'd forgo a set of wedges for now.

If he's "7-0 with a 7-10 wingspan. He is in early 20s and athletic" he should have been drafted to NBA and have golf budget of $40K for the set! 

Ok jokes aside, with his size, nothing off the rack would remotely work for him. Even if you went the route of shaft extensions on an existing cheap set, lies would be all wrong and swing weight way off. 2" extension loosely translate to 11 swingweight points so counterweight has to be put in and the clubs would be really heavy. After all those, he'd probably break the shaft in 5 swings. 

it's really going to be difficult to come up with something semi usable for him. With a build like that, I am guess he has to have some connections in pro basketball circle. An unusual route is to see if any of them has old clubs fit for very tall guys and can hook him up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PXG 0811XT 9* Diamana S+ 60X

PXG 0341X 3W Diamana S+ 70X

Adams XTD hybrid 19* Tensi Blue 80X

PXG Gen 4 0311ST Extreme Darkness 4-P True Temper Elevate Tour X

Fourteen RM12 52*

Fourteen RM12 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

Unfortunately, nothing "standard" is going to work for someone of his size (I'm sure that's the case with everything in his life 🙁). Also, a $400 budget isn't going to go very far these days even if he's buying used clubs with standard specs.

I think he has two options here...

1 - Borrow some old clubs from anywhere he can find them just so he can start playing. You said he has literally never played before so he might not even enjoy it once he gets out there. Then he can save up over the next year or so to buy a set that actually works for him if he wants to keep playing.

2 - Throw that $400 budget out the window. I'd say the chances of finding a set of used clubs close to the specs he'll need are next to none. He'll most likely be looking at closer to $700+ for a decent used set of clubs, and then he will still possibly have to spend more to get new shafts or new grips or lie angels bent or etc...

I always thought I was a big guy (6'4"+ and 245 lbs) until a friend of my son asked me to teach him the game.  He was 6'8" 325 lbs in high school and played D1 football.  The clubs we settled on for him were 2" longer than standard and 3° upright with the stiffest shafts I could get my hands on.  He lacked flexibility and anything that resembled rhythm but he was strong.  

Good luck.  It will be a challenge to find anything close to fitting him without going the custom route.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

If he's "7-0 with a 7-10 wingspan. He is in early 20s and athletic" he should have been drafted to NBA and have golf budget of $40K for the set! 

Ok jokes aside, with his size, nothing off the rack would remotely work for him. Even if you went the route of shaft extensions on an existing cheap set, lies would be all wrong and swing weight way off. 2" extension loosely translate to 11 swingweight points so counterweight has to be put in and the clubs would be really heavy. After all those, he'd probably break the shaft in 5 swings. 

it's really going to be difficult to come up with something semi usable for him. With a build like that, I am guess he has to have some connections in pro basketball circle. An unusual route is to see if any of them has old clubs fit for very tall guys and can hook him up?

He is a possible NBA draftee next year...not kidding. But he doesn't have the big bucks yet. I hadn't even though about the grips, good idea. I have  put  him in touch with his college's golf coach who is going to talk to him. Thanks for  all the thoughts.  To tell you how big that wingspan is....if he was in the NBA now he would be tied for first for that stat with two other players, Mo Bamba and Boban Marjanović .

Edited by MocGolfer

23 minutes ago, MocGolfer said:

He is a possible NBA draftee next year...not kidding. But he doesn't have the big bucks yet. I hadn't even though about the grips, good idea. I have  put  him in touch with his college's golf coach who is going to talk to him. Thanks for  all the thoughts.  To tell you how big that wingspan is....if he was in the NBA now he would be tied for first for that stat with two other players, Mo Bamba and Boban Marjanović .

Any local car dealerships want to pay him some money for a commercial?  I'm only half joking.  With the NIL rules now, he can make money off of his name while in college.  If the NBA is a possibility, I'd think his name at his home school would earn him at least a few grand in endorsements (I'd assume tens of thousands).

5 minutes ago, Brooky03 said:

Any local car dealerships want to pay him some money for a commercial?  I'm only half joking.  With the NIL rules now, he can make money off of his name while in college.  If the NBA is a possibility, I'd think his name at his home school would earn him at least a few grand in endorsements (I'd assume tens of thousands).

You are correct, but he is at a midmajor and the money hasn't really started filtering down from the P5's in a big way yet. It will though. 

1 hour ago, MocGolfer said:

Next year? Don't they draft teenagers now? He'd be old already. LOL 

I mean it's not surprising that anyone 7' who's remotely athletic would have a decent career in NBA... Just look at Yaoming... speaking of whom.. he plays golf and I am sure his clubs would fit him.  I mean his what looks like a pitching wedge is about the same length as Natelie Gulbis' driver.  ( and it really is!! damn)

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/lifestyle/yao-ming-is-really-really-tall/

Thought about this a bit more. If his wing span is 7'10", he has very long arms. I would even venture to guess that the height of his hands are not much higher than a regular height person, might even be lower. Yao Ming is 7'6" and only has wing span of 7'2. I recall reading it somewhere that wingspan is roughly the same as height on average, and that makes his arms ~3-4" longer than average (give or take an inch for error and some room to account for a broader shoulder). Imagine he has to use clubs shorter than usual? Shafts would still need to be incredibly stiff though since his arc would be REALLY wide and club speed would be amazing.

Here is an article that gives a basic calculation based on some simple measurements.. https://www.curated.com/journal/70000/how-to-determine-the-right-golf-club-length 

Given his unique build, it's pretty simple to take a few quick measurements and see where he actually falls on the chart. It won't be exact but would give you a ball park idea what you should be looking at. If he in fact fits in standard or even shorter length, and all you have to worry about is getting some super stiff shafts, it would certainly make finding inexpensive clubs a lot easier.  This is GolfWRX afterall, everyone plays PX 7.0, DG X7 in irons and TX in everything graphite. 

PXG 0811XT 9* Diamana S+ 60X

PXG 0341X 3W Diamana S+ 70X

Adams XTD hybrid 19* Tensi Blue 80X

PXG Gen 4 0311ST Extreme Darkness 4-P True Temper Elevate Tour X

Fourteen RM12 52*

Fourteen RM12 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

Tom Wishon speaks to this in his books.  Do not immediately assume he needs clubs that are drastically overlength, though it is likely.  Tom said a fellow clubmaker  (Grudner...don't recall the first name) fit an unnamed NBA player who was around 7'0" into a set of one inch under length clubs.  I know Tom himself helped fit David Robinson (7'1)  and George Gervin (6'8").

Wrist to floor is a great place to start.  A used set from another person with similar physical attributes may be the best place to start  (if he is a basketball player, he likely knows another basketball player that plays golf).

His budget may limit him.   I don't mean to tout Ping as the only option (though I will recommend Ping every time), but I know they will make irons that are inches over length and can adjust the size based on the color code chart  (It cuts off at 6'7" but they have made custom clubs for Kareem Abdul Jabbar).

I did some back of napkin math based on the typical wrist-to-floor measurements by height.  He's probably somewhere around a 39" wrist-to-floor measurement in my estimation.  That would fit him into over-length clubs but only by half an inch.  That half inch isn't going to matter a whole lot for a beginner.  Likewise, a lie angle change of a degree or two wouldn't matter a ton either.

I'd say, go ahead and confirm his wrist-to-floor, like others have stated.  If it's around that 39" number, regular length clubs should work just fine.

43 minutes ago, bvmagic said:

I have a friend that is 6'8 and he had to get his irons extended 1.5 inches.  You could go the component club route and buy some iron heads / shafts from golfworks.  The standard club pak price includes loft / lie / length adjustments with assembly.  

I agree with this.  Going with GolfWorks is going to be the best way to get close with his size and budget.  You can order shafts 2” longer than standard.  I would be surprised if you called them and explain they wouldn’t be able to do something if he needed 3 or 4” over standard.

• Like 1

I would keep it simple to start (half set D, 4H, 6, 8, PW and a few wedges) and probably do a little trial and error.   The golf works components are easy to build or you just buy some used heads and reshaft at +1.5-2" to start. 

You may also consider non-standard length increments (1/4" or 3/8") as the wedges and short irons will be more of a challenge.  I could see him using a relatively standard driver (45.5") but needing something like a 37" or longer wedge length.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 12:25 PM, MocGolfer said:

Thanks...

Any advice on where to go or fitting advice etc or whatever you wish to add to the conversation.

This guy wants to start playing on weekends with his buddies....has never played.

Okay, I could usually handle this..but this guy is 7-0 with a 7-10 wingspan. He is in early 20s and athletic.

Length? Does his extra long arms negate some of his height? I saw one website saying his height clubs should be 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer.

Flex? I would guess Stiff as a minimum, but as a new golfer he may not swing extra hard.

He has a limited budget (around $400) and going to a fitter for a fitting and custom clubs is not an option.

Any new complete sets worth looking into?

Any recommendations on where to look are appreciated...any advice at all.

THANKS

Interesting.  I just fit a guy who is similar.  7 feet tall, guy had 42" wrist-to-floor.  Nothing we had was long enough so I had to send him away and build him up some demos and bring him back.  Unfortunately, your friend's club budget is out of reality for what they need and they should know that since they need to shop at specialty stores for clothes and shoes.  They shouldn't expect that an off-the-rack set is going to fit them or that a $400 bag set is going to be able to accommodate them.  My client ended up needing a 41.5" long 6i, which is the length of a modern 2i hybrid and I think a 38" SW, which is the length of a modern 5i.  You have to fit him to make him comfortable otherwise he is not going to enjoy the game at all.  You also have to be mindful of weight.  Each half inch is equal to 3SW points, so most clubs kind of target a D2 area for irons, if he needs at minimum 2" over likely, that means his irons are going to about E4 SW.  That means two things, it is going to play super soft and very heavy.  Your best bet honestly is some super stiff graphite shafts that will cut down on the weight for him so even if you do go over length, the SW will be halfway manageable and the total weight will not be too burdensome.

You should talk him into buying a half set first and get it built by GolfWorks.  I'm normally not an advocate for components but this is 100% the right move right now.  He can get a driver, a 5 wood, 4H, 6, 8, Pw, Sw, and then pick up a cheap putter.  For instance, I am looking at the M890 irons 6,8,PW, Sw with Aldila NV 95g graphite shafts in stiff with the stock Midsize grips, an ISO-T 11.5* driver and UST DH-i S wood shaft, and matching M890 20* 5 wood and 24* 4 hybrid with the matching UST DHI wood and hybrid shafts and those are going to run him $485.72 + tax + shipping.  Those are going to be equal, if not better than any cheapo bag set he can find and at least it will fit him length and lie angle wise.   Otherwise, he's buying the Costco bag set for $400, then he's going to need a 1.5-2" extension put in + buy new grips but we are back to square on the weight and flex issue  (i.e. too soft and too heavy).  

Do it properly the first time and he won't have to scramble around trying to make something work when you can have it done properly the first time for only a nominal increase in price.

Edited by WristySwing

I am on the quest for the clubs I hit the best, feel and looks be darned.

These below have my attention at the moment.

SIM - Rogue Silver 130

Speedzone Tour Big - Arcane

Rogue Sub Zero - Thump 

0211DC 5-PW - Elevate Tour

SM8 50/F, 54/D, 58/M - i123

Bettinardi Hive Custom