Tucson summer weather for golf?

golfingal

We're considering Tucson for our next move and have been there while the weather was decent - but watching it this summer, it seems to be very similar to Florida (where we lived for several years) - hot, and raining all the time... humid too?  Being Californians, we HATED Florida weather.    People from Canada and such places didn't understand us not liking it - they thought it was "paradise" - so this question is probably more for people used to great year round weather, who made the move to Tucson.

Is it playable in summer?  Do the daily storms cut your golf day short or force you to not play?  Does it become a humid wet muddy mess?  Does it go to cart path only a lot?  Any feedback is appreciated!

Tucson metro is slightly less hot than Phoenix metro and gets about 3 inches more rain per year on average. It's still only about a third of the average annual US rainfall. Tucson has very low humidity most of the time, like Phoenix. Nothing like Florida at all, none of that daily afternoon summer thunderstorm business. Except for immediately after a few major summer storms, the only CPO you will typically encounter is right after fall overseeding.

I thought you were leaning towards joining Blackstone in Peoria/Vistancia? Curious what made you change your mind on that.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

I wish it rained that much, pretty rare for afternoon storms even during the monsoon season. I've never seen a Tucson course go to CPO even after a heavy overnight rain. Very playable during the summer, and a little cooler than the valley. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Thanks for the replies.  This screenshot shows a snippet of weather - rain, every day in many cases - which is what I was wondering about.  Watching over the past month or two it seemed like this kind of forecast was a regular occurrence...some all day long.

Our Phoenix plan went bust even though we purchased a Blackstone membership.  The move was a relocation for work - hubby actually was living/working/golfing there for several months and we almost bought a house - but our NorCal house hadn't sold yet, (the market started getting flakey) and a much better (headhunter) offer came along in L.A. so he took it and we sold our Blackstone membership at a loss.     Now our house has sold so we're back looking at Tucson - which we originally liked over Phoenix for a retirement area, due to the elevation/cooler temps and more options for houses with views.  After he actually experienced playing a lot in Phoenix in summer, he felt it was probably a bit too hot!

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 6.47.51 AM.png

• Like 1

The forecast has been misleading over the last few weeks. It’s definitely not an issue playing in the afternoon, nothing like Florida. 

• Like 1

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

Typical Arizona forecast: 3 days ahead 80% chance rain, 2 days ahead 40%, day of 10%, actual precipitation is a few drops. I grew up in Florida. Nothing like Florida. But it's still hot. 

Edited by DrSchteeve
  • Like 2

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

On 8/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, Arizonalefty59 said:

I wish it rained that much, pretty rare for afternoon storms even during the monsoon season.

... Amen to that! In Phoenix it isn't unusual to have zero rain from December to June. 3" more in Tucson is still way too little. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

The forecast for this weekend is on the unusually wet side, even for the monsoon season.  So far this summer I have played at least once every weekend, often twice, and have not been rained out.  It was close a couple times, with storms popping up, but still got the round in.  The only rainout this summer was a afternoon league match, where we started the first hole dry, and came off the first hole as if we had jumped in a pool, and called it a day. 

Things to remember, monsoon is really only two months, plus or minus a little.  Even though there is rain around on many day, that does not mean it will be where you are.  The storms are often small, and move off quickly.  It very rarely rains all day, only as a result of the remains of a tropical storm finding its way up here from the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortes).  More than once we have decided to head to the clubhouse, driven half a hole, turned around and gone back to playing.  From my experience, around Tucson for 20 years, it's nothing like Florida!

We've had a fair amount of rain this summer, but a lot has been overnight, which is the best kind!

I would conclude by saying that if you want to golf every day it's hard to do better than Tucson.  Almost never too cold in the winter, cooler (in relative terms) and cheaper than Phoenix.  Might lose 15 days in the whole year to weather (maybe).  And if it's a bit wet or cold one day, the next one will probably be better!

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

Played Dove Mountain yesterday. Got rained on for 15 minutes, took cover, then went back to playing with no interruptions. Even if it does rain, it doesn't last long. 

• Like 2

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

Just to follow up, and kind of demonstrate what DrSchteeve was saying...

Saturday was probably playable for much of the day, at least where I was.  Had other things to do, so I wasn't on the course, but I was out and about, and while it was cloudy with some showers it wasn't really stormy.  Yesterday was cloudy most of the day, but no rain (at least where I was), and I played.  Even walked as it was a little cooler than it has been, though plenty humid, for here.

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

A few years ago almost retired to Tucson.  But life got in the way and we retired to Florida.

We were in Sedona for about 8 years. Went to Phoenix and Tucson often for races. Tucson is higher elevation then Phoenix, thus a tad cooler.  Most of Arizona will get a few storms that are fairly small, not wide spread, they come and are then gone. I used to cycle when in Sedona and could be 1 mile from a storm and it was sunny where I was and pouring down rain 1 mile away.  Had to take cover from a lightning/hail storm once in June during a mountain bike ride.  After it passed it was sunny again.

My wife and I talk about what it would have been like retiring in Arizona.  Don't regret Florida, but Arizona would have been different. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:07 PM, golfingal said:

Thanks to everyone for the comments - I appreciate the input!  😀

Would also be appreciative if you could come back upon club selection and let us know what you found.  I'm still a few years away, but am considering Tuscon as an alternative to Phoenix.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, lurkinghobbit said:

Would also be appreciative if you could come back upon club selection and let us know what you found.  I'm still a few years away, but am considering Tuscon as an alternative to Phoenix.  Thanks!

We ended up deciding against Arizona as it’s just a bit too hot for us so we are staying in California. The affordability in Tucson however is much more attractive over Phoenix was very expensive at the good clubs. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Rain is infrequent, but when it does happen it generally is a torrential downpour for 10-30 minutes and then it's over. 

It's hot. Not as hot as Phoenix, but triple digit temperatures. I play in summer all the time, just need to be prepared. Drink LOTS of water, skip the alcohol. Cover up and wear sunscreen on any exposed skin.

Lots of great deals and tee times during the summer. Courses won't be in pristine condition, but generally they are decent. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1