2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Patrick Reed at it again (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)

Krt22

14 minutes ago, carrier street said:

MY BROS DON'T YOU FOLLOW @USEGOLFFACTS ON TWITTER WHICH IS DEFINITELY NOT PREED OR HIS WIFE THAT WAS FAKED ON LIVE TV IN REAL TIME!!!!! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!!

Anyone who uses Sheeple is an immediate follow for MtlJeff. It's my favorite new word of the past 2 years

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

As an attorney (apparently), you surely know that (1) as a public figure, Reed must show actual malice in his defamation claim. This is an extremely high bar to clear; and (2) truth is an absolute defense to defamation claims.

I would bet every cent in my bank account that this suit is summarily dismissed in short course.

I read the complaint and thought to myself "unless the legal standard for defamation is CONSIDERABLY lower in Texas than anywhere I'm familiar with, Reed has no case."

Anything related to LIV and its funding would be seen as statements of opinion and not demonstrable falsehoods. Most of the cheating stuff as well. Especially the one where they defend Reed by saying he was *only* assessed a two-stroke penalty for an incident and not DQ'd. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

15 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

(1) As a public figure, Reed must show actual malice in his defamation claim. This is an extremely high bar to clear; and (2) truth is an absolute defense to defamation claims.

I would bet every cent in my bank account that this suit is summarily dismissed in short course.

What are the chances BC/GC file a counter suit to cover their legal fees?

19 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I read the complaint and thought to myself "unless the legal standard for defamation is CONSIDERABLY lower in Texas than anywhere I'm familiar with, Reed has no case."

Anything related to LIV and its funding would be seen as statements of opinion and not demonstrable falsehoods. Most of the cheating stuff as well. Especially the one where they defend Reed by saying he was *only* assessed a two-stroke penalty for an incident and not DQ'd. 

Smart to file the lawsuit in the country of Texas.

Edited by DavePelz4

I'm sure it's only coincidence. I'm sure Reed has come to this on his own momentum, but the timing of the headline (which is really all that matters in todays attention span lacking world) seems oddly well placed to coincide with Tiger's General Patton round up to lay the framework for the LIV offensive. I wonder if LIV popped him an extra check to cook this thing up as a little salvo on the media battleground.

Sadly, this whole battleground professional golf is going to get quite a bit more undignified before it gets any better. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

I'm sure it's only coincidence. I'm sure Reed has come to this on his own momentum, but the timing of the headline (which is really all that matters in todays attention span lacking world) seems oddly well placed to coincide with Tiger's General Patton round up to lay the framework for the LIV offensive. I wonder if LIV popped him an extra check to cook this thing up as a little salvo on the media battleground.

Sadly, this whole battleground professional golf is going to get quite a bit more undignified before it gets any better. 

The timing is absolutely intentional. First playoff event, Mickelson v PGA Tour. Second, PReed v BC and Golf Channel. I will wager kingdoms that something will drop Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. LIV v OWGR is a pretty safe bet, but a list of players in the Tour Championship who have already committed to LIV also has pretty strong odds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

43 minutes ago, maowv said:

Reed's case is going nowhere. 

Why do I say that?

First, Reed is going to be considered a "public person" in the eyes of the law. As such, the threshold for liability is extremely high and requires a level of intent that Reed is not likely going to be able to prove. 

Second, much of what has been reported on Golf Channel about Reed's ethical challenges has been echoed throughout the golf world. Many of his colleagues have expressed the same views/concerns about his willingness to bend the rules or outright cheat. That narrative has been in the public space since his college days.

Third, his lawyer is not to be taken seriously. Klayman himself has had his license suspended for ethical violations. He files crazy lawsuits that go nowhere. Seems to be a publicity hound who barks at the moon for a few weeks until his lawsuits are dismissed, or he loses. You end up with this type of lawyer when the serious lawyers turn you down.

This is another Patrick Reed sideshow that will be forgotten in a few months after the GolfChannel's lawyers eat his lunch. Federal courts are not a welcome forum for publicity stunts.

Texas also has the Texas Citizens Participation Act which is their version of an anti slapp law.  

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

How can Chamblee defame character when Reed has none? They can start with his college team mates from U.Ga. and Augusta St., and  Chamblee will have lack there of character witnesses lined up around the block. I’m kind of surprised Reed hasn’t sued his estranged parents for making him the person he became.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 2

Patrick Reed was at  the 3M open , where I run the practice facility, and I found him the be a really genuine nice young man. Really polite and engaging to the volunteers. His entourage on the other hand could only be described in 1 word - ******' -- IF he was smart he's shed them like the old skin on a snake and start over.

"But, but, Brandel called me names and hurt my feelings and called me out on things that have been proven by several fist hand witnesses" man how soft has society become. All you need is $400 in this litigious world and you can sue anyone.

Not a Brandel fan by any stretch, but he gets paid to postulate and comment on golf. Much like Azinger, Faxon, and Ian Baker-Finch. Their word is not the end all beat all, but as a media broadcaster, they need someone and something to talk about when it's dark out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

How can Chamblee defame character when Reed has none? They can start with his college team mates from U.Ga. and Augusta St., and  Chamblee will have lack there of character witnesses lined up around the block. I’m kind of surprised Reed hasn’t sued his estranged parents for making him the person he became.

spacer.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robby_Hughey said:

"But, but, Brandel called me names and hurt my feelings and called me out on things that have been proven by several fist hand witnesses" man how soft has society become. All you need is $400 in this litigious world and you can sue anyone.

Not a Brandel fan by any stretch, but he gets paid to postulate and comment on golf. Much like Azinger, Faxon, and Ian Baker-Finch. Their word is not the end all beat all, but as a media broadcaster, they need someone and something to talk about when it's dark out. 

Soft is right. You think Ben Hogan would have sued Grantland Rice if he said a few snarky things about him? Not a chance. He'd have caught him coming out of the hotel bar and tuned him up a little bit. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Soft is right. You think Ben Hogan would have sued Grantland Rice if he said a few snarky things about him? Not a chance. He'd have caught him coming out of the hotel bar and tuned him up a little bit. 

Not a snow ball's chance. They would have duked it out in the lot and both would walk away, without the loser suing for not receiving a participation trophy. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Disclaimer: not a PReed fan, not a Chamblee fan.

I think PReed is only trying to shut Chamblee up. Whether the suit holds up or not, it will have some effect on tempering the criticism from TGC commentators. 

That may be the only thing that comes of this.  Chamblee having to shut up, and he can blame "can't say anything during ongoing litigation" type stuff.  

Chamblee is a hard character for me.  He can have some great things to say during the pre and post game shows about people's games, strokes, playing that is really fascinating to hear.  Then he gets on his soapbox and you have to change the channel immediately.  I'm not one for "shut up and dribble" but there are times when I wish Chamblee would "shut up and stick to analyzing golf swings and scores."

• Like 4

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

46 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Disclaimer: not a PReed fan, not a Chamblee fan.

I think PReed is only trying to shut Chamblee up. Whether the suit holds up or not, it will have some effect on tempering the criticism from TGC commentators. 

5 minutes ago, subrew said:

That may be the only thing that comes of this.  Chamblee having to shut up, and he can blame "can't say anything during ongoing litigation" type stuff.  

Per @leezer99, if Chamblee is able to successfully get this tossed out of court on anti-SLAPP grounds, this could be over MUCH more quickly than a typical civil suit. If that's the case, the amount of time Chamblee has to shut up might be very short. 

I don't know enough about Texas' anti-SLAPP law to know if it's got teeth, and/or if there are specific exclusions in there that would be relevant. I.e. I'm not speculating this exists in the Texas law, but they could have an exclusion for "public figures" to make the law more protective for "regular people" and assume public figures can handle the litigation. The goal of anti-SLAPP is to protect people from the cost and trouble of defending against nuisance suits, so such an exclusion for "public figures" could exist on the assumption that they can handle litigation that a typical Texas citizen can't.

2 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

This particular attorney has a reputation for filing lawsuits he has no intention of winning. Instead, it is an opportunity to obtain information to be used for another purpose. Anytime you can subpoena old data/conversations/records and then subsequently ask people questions under oath, there is a likelihood that some kind of bombshell will come out

In my opinion, this lawsuit is simply an attempt to obtain information proving collusion between the PGA Tour and the Golf Channel / golf media in general. That would go a long way in helping prove the PGA Tour actively tried to shun LIV Golf from the competitive landscape, and would help LIV's case in the larger lawsuit they are actually trying to win

In other words, this P. Reed lawsuit is a pawn in the broader LIV Players vs. PGA Tour lawsuit already filed, which is not scheduled to be tried until at least mid-2023

Multiple lawsuits are used as a way to drain parties' finances as well, of which one side in this case has a distinct advantage

If this is tossed on anti-SLAPP grounds, that happens prior to discovery. Per above, not sure if they'll be able to get it tossed or not in Texas on those grounds.

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

• GwrxMod changed the title to Patrick Reed at it again (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)