Patrick Reed at it again (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)

Krt22

10 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

This particular attorney has a reputation for filing lawsuits he has no intention of winning. Instead, it is an opportunity to obtain information to be used for another purpose. Anytime you can subpoena old data/conversations/records and then subsequently ask people questions under oath, there is a likelihood that some kind of bombshell will come out

In my opinion, this lawsuit is simply an attempt to obtain information proving collusion between the PGA Tour and the Golf Channel / golf media in general. That would go a long way in helping prove the PGA Tour actively tried to shun LIV Golf from the competitive landscape, and would help LIV's case in the larger lawsuit they are actually trying to win

In other words, this P. Reed lawsuit is a pawn in the broader LIV Players vs. PGA Tour lawsuit already filed, which is not scheduled to be tried until at least mid-2023

Multiple lawsuits are used as a way to drain parties' finances as well, of which one side in this case has a distinct advantage

Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

5 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

In my opinion, this lawsuit is simply an attempt to obtain information proving collusion between the PGA Tour and the Golf Channel / golf media in general. That would go a long way in helping prove the PGA Tour actively tried to shun LIV Golf from the competitive landscape, and would help LIV's case in the larger lawsuit they are actually trying to win

I mean, of course they collude with one another. The PGA Tour often refers to its "media partners" and they have a multi-billion dollar contract between them. Golf Channel (and the other networks with media rights) protecting that investment by being actively anti-LIV isn't "collusion" in the anti-trust sense. Golf Channel is under no obligation to cover anything they don't want to, or to cover the things they choose to in a certain way (although, again, all those dollars are going to steer the coverage). They could have a daily show called "Why LIV is Stupid and Their Players Suck" if they so choose. 

But I agree with you, no one thinks this is going anywhere. It's a PR move to suck some of the oxygen from the Fed Ex Cup.

• Like 2

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

Not sure if this has been posted yet

https://www.wsj.com/articles/liv-golf-pga-tour-contract-11660744567

A contract reviewed by The Wall Street Journal includes requirements to wear LIV gear at non-LIV tournaments, restraints on interviews and an agreement to help recruit other golfers to the Saudi-backed upstart

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, the bishop said:

Since Reed objects to being labeled a cheat, I'd like to hear him under oath explain his actions at the Hero World Challenge.

It would be fun to watch if it got to court. Reed would have to prove a per quad claim. I am interested in which statement(s). He is going to claims are false, and then he would have to prove that those statements are what damaged his reputation, not all the other stuff he has done and said, or has been said about him.

Here the steps he would to prove:

1. Reed needs to prove there was a false statement (opinions can not be included, you can share any opinion you want "I believe Reed is a cheater"). An important distinction is Reed needs to prove the statement made was false, but Chamblee does not need to prove it was true. 

2. The statement need to be about Patrick Reed specifically (should not be tough to prove this).

3. Statement has to be made to a third party (easy to prove)

4. Reed has to prove his reputation was damaged BY THE SPECIFIC STATEMENT in #1. (This will be very tough to do as it can't be the opinions that were shared, it can not be true items that were shared, it has to be isolated to the (if any) false statement made - and how they alone damaged his reputation. 

5. Reed has to show a direct link between the statement and tangible damages (should not be tough if made it through the other hurdles.)

6. Reed has to prove the statements were made with malice or negligence. (has a chance here).

If Reed can't win on all 6 points he loses. I don't think he gets past point 1. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

A contract reviewed by The Wall Street Journal includes requirements to wear LIV gear at non-LIV tournaments, restraints on interviews and an agreement to help recruit other golfers to the Saudi-backed upstart

I saw this, and I want to get real law dorky with it: There was a story the other day how they hired a PR firm (through subsidiaries) that didn't register under FARA. Do players helping to recruit other players? Norman does for sure. What about Kushner out there trying to get them a broadcast deal? 

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, aus10KC said:

Pro Golfers Humans throughout history have been notoriously drunks, degenerates or philanderers. Not all by any means but many will check one of those boxes if not all of them (Daly). 

Fixed that for ya, boss

Edited by FootWedge16
Well, looks like someone else fixed it for you first.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

"They also broadly sign away their media rights from LIV events."  Uhhh.....Phil?

• Haha 4

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

The below article was cited in a Washington Post article relating to Patrick Reed's "cheating" lawsuit against Brandel Chamblee and Golf Channel. It's a pretty good summary of Patrick Reed's college career at the University of Georgia and Augusta State and the "problems" he had during his time at each school. The article is dated January 30, 2015.

From the Tobacco Road Blues:

The Villain: Patrick Reed

Washington Post article:

Patrick Reed has feuded with Brandel Chamblee for years. Now there’s a lawsuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Just saw this on a Matlock rerun...

1134298732_LR.jpg.403aafc9b5853dfd470dde7e76320730.jpg

Aw snap, the Heavy Hitter! 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

3 hours ago, CaseyC said:

Surely not going to win over an PGA Tour supporters.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Ugh, I miss when golf related rivalries were related to actual play and not this off course WWE "heel wrestler" stuff, which the tour and golf in general is woefully ill suited for. BDC vs. BK was boring as hell and this isn't shaping up to be any better. The jokes made in this thread are going to be the most entertaining part. 😆

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

llemg1g20ci91.jpg.263f74add061ffe877fa5821757aa409.jpg

"I have the worst attorneys." - George Bluth P-Reed

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

When LIV folds shop, or at best merges a bit into PGAT...and let's just say for arguments sake there will be a negotiation to get everyone back on the same page, what happens when negotiations get down to the finer details?  i.e. individual player status.  Because quite arguably, Patrick Reed has just joined the persona non grata ranks with Phil M. with his shenanigans.  Who is going to vouch for him now?  Did PR get so much money upfront that he has no problem burning every bridge?  The guy is so toxic what sponsor in their right mind wants any part of him? (and yes, that is an invitation to start listing companies with an image so tarnished and desperate that they would even consider tossing some $ PR's way.). Isn't it just a matter of time before even Greg Norman hits the eject button on Reed?

• Like 1

Truth is normally a pretty good defence. I think Chamblee will be fine.

5 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

This particular attorney has a reputation for filing lawsuits he has no intention of winning. Instead, it is an opportunity to obtain information to be used for another purpose. Anytime you can subpoena old data/conversations/records and then subsequently ask people questions under oath, there is a likelihood that some kind of bombshell will come out

That may well be true under some circumstances, however there is already enough litigation underway where discovery like what most are suggesting will well and truly come out anyway. Not sure I think it's the motivation in Reed's case...he and his orbit are just tools.

39 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

When LIV folds shop, or at best merges a bit into PGAT...and let's just say for arguments sake there will be a negotiation to get everyone back on the same page, what happens when negotiations get down to the finer details?  i.e. individual player status.  Because quite arguably, Patrick Reed has just joined the persona non grata ranks with Phil M. with his shenanigans.  Who is going to vouch for him now?  Did PR get so much money upfront that he has no problem burning every bridge?  The guy is so toxic what sponsor in their right mind wants any part of him? (and yes, that is an invitation to start listing companies with an image so tarnished and desperate that they would even consider tossing some $ PR's way.). Isn't it just a matter of time before even Greg Norman hits the eject button on Reed?

I genuinely don't think they are entertaining that as a possibility. You always miss the first putt if you are too worried about the comebacker

8 minutes ago, Dicka said:

Truth is normally a pretty good defence. I think Chamblee will be fine.

That may well be true under some circumstances, however there is already enough litigation underway where discovery like what most are suggesting will well and truly come out anyway. Not sure I think it's the motivation in Reed's case...he and his orbit are just tools.

No self-respecting lawyer would stand for any kind of discovery in a case like Reed filed.  There are so many ways to "delay"; and delay for a long time.  I would be betting on a dismissal.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Patrick Reed at it again (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)