What would you do?

This is more pro shop etiquette, not really sure where this belongs.

I’ve been stewing over this since this happened…

Last Friday I went out after work to play.  I have a season pass at the course I went to, and I play at least 5 days a week.  I generally do not make a tee time because I don’t get there until 5:45-6pm.  There are leagues most days and normally the person in the pro shop will send me off either 1 or 10 depending on where the leagues are.  Fridays though don’t have a league and generally are not that busy.  However, the lady who only works on Fridays doesn’t have an imagination and only sends people out on 1.  So, I get there, and she looks for a tee time for me.  She says I can go after a twosome that just walked out who had to go get their clubs and put them on their cart.  I say fine.  I go down to the first tee and wait for the twosome to get down there.  When we were in the pro shop there was a single going off that I had hoped she would pair me with, but whatever.  I am waiting for this group and now the hole is empty, I could definitely tee off and the twosome would never know, but she told me to wait, so I did.  The twosome finally got down to the tee box and they told me to go ahead and hit, they were not that good.  So, I tee off and never saw them again.

I get to hole 10 and a ranger comes over and starts scolding me because the lady in the pro shop told him I didn’t listen to her and went down to the first tee and teed off without waiting.  She also told him that I come out there all the time and don’t check in with her before going out.  So, I have to listen to this ranger go off on me for stuff that I have never done.  I explain what happened on the first tee, and he says, oh that is fine.  I tell him I check in every time I come out here.  But there were no apologies given. So, I am struggling over what to do here.

On one had this is a pretty minor thing to happen to someone and in the grand scheme of things, whatever.  But on the other hand, I am a very proud person and I pride myself in my integrity, and she insulted me, as did the ranger.  And, I am dreading going  on Friday and playing, knowing she is going to be there. 

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

23 minutes ago, rogolf said:

(Re)introduce yourself to her.  Tell her your version of the facts of the situation(s).

This. Be bold and be the one to set the narrative. You don’t need to go in there all “Karen” like but let her know you didn’t appreciate her telling the ranger something that was inaccurate. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

The responses are in favor of going in and talking to her.  I can't explain how much I don't want to do this.  I'm more of a conflict avoidance person.  Conflict creates high anxiety in me, I'm more of the opinion that I should just make online tee times on Fridays and not say a word to her when I check in.  I've thought about emailing the head of the golf courses for the city, but I think that may be a bit over the top.  My wife told me to bring it up with one of the other pro shop guys but I have good relationships with them, and I don't want them to see my complaint as attack against the golf course.  But at the same point in time I am honestly considering going to a different course for a season pass next year even though this course is 2 miles from my house and I like it.  

Idk... If I were in the wrong, I would without doubt do what I had to do to make it right.  But I really feel that I shouldn't have to put myself into a high anxiety situation to resolve a conflict I am not responsible for.  

In the bag

Me personally would go in discuss the events, but since you are non confrontational, go in do what you need to do and go play.  Obviously you are letting this bother you, you should be able to handle without it turning into a confrontation.  Example, If she brings it up, then say something similar to you need to get your facts straight or it’s no big deal.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

11 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I think you are being a little dramatic about the situation if you want my honest opinion. You said you have a season pass so you've gone out there a fair amount this year (you said 5 days / week), and this is the first time something like this has happened? 

If you're so shook up over the event then stop going to the course, or quit playing on Fridays. Otherwise just get over it dude...

Thanks for saving me the typing.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Me personally would go in discuss the events, but since you are non confrontational, go in do what you need to do and go play.  Obviously you are letting this bother you, you should be able to handle without it turning into a confrontation.  Example, If she brings it up, then say something similar to you need to get your facts straight or it’s no big deal.

I am definitely letting it bother me, and I know that is completely irrational.  In the grand scheme of things, this slight is a nothing burger.  But yet, even though it is irrational, it does bother me.  I assume even the best of us are prone to irrational tendencies every now and then. 

In the bag

27 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I think you are being a little dramatic about the situation if you want my honest opinion. You said you have a season pass so you've gone out there a fair amount this year (you said 5 days / week), and this is the first time something like this has happened? 

If you're so shook up over the event then stop going to the course, or quit playing on Fridays. Otherwise just get over it dude...

Yeppers.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

So for those that say go in and talk to her about it, what do you say?

Hey "lady" (I know her name, should I use it), I really don't appreciate you saying I did these things I didn't do. This is how it really went down and I would appreciate you not unjustly accusing me of such things in the future...

Coming from a 6' 260lbs guy who is built like a linebacker and speaks with conviction.  I'll probably come off as aggressive and get a talking to for that.  

In the bag

3 minutes ago, trilerian said:

Hey "lady" (I know her name, should I use it), I really don't appreciate you saying I did these things I didn't do. This is how it really went down and I would appreciate you not unjustly accusing me of such things in the future...

Coming from a 6' 260lbs guy who is built like a linebacker and speaks with conviction.  I'll probably come off as aggressive and get a talking to for that.  

Again, you are overblowing this.

She thought you went out ahead because she didn't know the other people let you. She was having a bitchy day and ranted to the marshal who then bitched at you because he didn't know the whole story. Once he knew the situation, he said there was not problem.

So, it seems your big issue here is that he didn't apologize to you for not having all his facts straight. You really need to let this one go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trilerian said:

You only have 2 options, either you bring it up or let her bring it up.

If you bring it up, I would say, “I wanted to talk to you about last week, after waiting on the tee box for the twosome you said to, they told me to go ahead of them, I don’t appreciate being accused of something I didn’t do by people that don’t have all the facts.” 

This also works for if she she brings it up.  Odds are she doesn’t even remember or care at this point.  A lot of the others are right, just let it go, life is too short and you have golf to play.

Edited by NJBigFish22
  • Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

4 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Again, you are overblowing this.

She thought you went out ahead because she didn't know the other people let you. She was having a bitchy day and ranted to the marshal who then bitched at you because he didn't know the whole story. Once he knew the situation, he said there was not problem.

So, it seems your big issue here is that he didn't apologize to you for not having all his facts straight. You really need to let this one go.

My big issue isn't with the ranger, although he let into me pretty good.  My issue is with the woman who had a clear view of the tee box from where she was at the cash register.  

And I would love to let it go, but it's like a bad song that gets stuck in your head.  Maybe it's my sense of fair play coming out, Idk.  

In the bag

10 minutes ago, trilerian said:

My big issue isn't with the ranger, although he let into me pretty good.  My issue is with the woman who had a clear view of the tee box from where she was at the cash register.  

And I would love to let it go, but it's like a bad song that gets stuck in your head.  Maybe it's my sense of fair play coming out, Idk.  

You're assuming she was watching the tee the whole time. Maybe she was with a different customer, or had to go to the bathroom, or whatever.

The point is she certainly didn't hear your conversation with the other group.

Let it go.

2 hours ago, trilerian said:

Just tell her that there was a misunderstanding of the events last Friday, and you just want to clear things up. There is no need to be confrontational. Just talk like an adult. As a pass holder, if this doesn’t work, talk to the GM or head pro. Sounds like this part time employee might have a bit of a Barney Fife complex.

If she asked the ranger to confront you, she probably also asked him about the outcome, so she likely already knows she was wrong.  Next time you check in with her you can just say, “Hey, did the ranger clear up with you what happened when I teed off last week?”  Though I doubt she’s been obsessing about it and may not even remember.

• Like 1

This again is a thread of responses where everyone on wrx loves being the hulk and are confrontation over the internet.

To the OP...I'd just move on and not make much about it. A clueless lady that works the counter at a golf shop isn't trying to take a stab at your integrity. She probably is a miserable person and hates her job. I'd be the sunshine in her day and be as kind as possible to her.  

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

57 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

Maybe try one of the other seven deadly sins? I suggest lust and whichever one drinking comes under.

I can try lust, lol. Not much of a drinker though and my drug of choice is golf.

• Like 1

In the bag

9 hours ago, trilerian said:

This is more pro shop etiquette, not really sure where this belongs.

I’ve been stewing over this since this happened…

Last Friday I went out after work to play.  I have a season pass at the course I went to, and I play at least 5 days a week.  I generally do not make a tee time because I don’t get there until 5:45-6pm.  There are leagues most days and normally the person in the pro shop will send me off either 1 or 10 depending on where the leagues are.  Fridays though don’t have a league and generally are not that busy.  However, the lady who only works on Fridays doesn’t have an imagination and only sends people out on 1.  So, I get there, and she looks for a tee time for me.  She says I can go after a twosome that just walked out who had to go get their clubs and put them on their cart.  I say fine.  I go down to the first tee and wait for the twosome to get down there.  When we were in the pro shop there was a single going off that I had hoped she would pair me with, but whatever.  I am waiting for this group and now the hole is empty, I could definitely tee off and the twosome would never know, but she told me to wait, so I did.  The twosome finally got down to the tee box and they told me to go ahead and hit, they were not that good.  So, I tee off and never saw them again.

I get to hole 10 and a ranger comes over and starts scolding me because the lady in the pro shop told him I didn’t listen to her and went down to the first tee and teed off without waiting.  She also told him that I come out there all the time and don’t check in with her before going out.  So, I have to listen to this ranger go off on me for stuff that I have never done.  I explain what happened on the first tee, and he says, oh that is fine.  I tell him I check in every time I come out here.  But there were no apologies given. So, I am struggling over what to do here.

On one had this is a pretty minor thing to happen to someone and in the grand scheme of things, whatever.  But on the other hand, I am a very proud person and I pride myself in my integrity, and she insulted me, as did the ranger.  And, I am dreading going  on Friday and playing, knowing she is going to be there. 

7 hours ago, trilerian said:

You're being too confrontational (with the bolded part) and saying that certainly wouldn't defuse any hard feelings - quite the opposite.

What I would do is tell her what the ranger told you, specifically that you "never check in with her" and ask her if that's what she told him.

If you really DO check in with her every Friday, she'll deny she told the ranger that and then you can simply tell her "I knew you'd remember. I guess the ranger misheard you".

If she confirms she told the ranger that, then you have a bit of a problem. "How can you say I never check in when I check in with you every Friday ?"

From there I'd play it by ear. :classic_wacko:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

6 hours ago, sui generis said:

"Good afternoon, Doris. I'm sorry about last Friday afternoon. I didn't mean to upset the system, but the two you sent me to play with didn't want to play with me, so I went off by myself. I hope we can still be friends."

This. Just be nice. Maybe she was having a terrible day. Most of the time when people get upset about something unreasonable there is something else in their life that upset them and you ended up being a safe place to vent. Cut them some slack.

And the thought that you might change golf courses over something like this is an over reaction. 

I wouldn’t confront her. I also wouldn’t have waited for the twosome if the hole was open. 

And when the ranger came around to give me crap about going out as a single and not waiting, I would have straight up LIED to him and said I “waited and waited” and the guys never showed and they hole was open so I went. He’s never going to know. 

ALSO, even if the lady says to go off 1, and you have a season pass and 10 looks like it’ll be quicker, I’d go off 10. If I have a season pass, and I’m not holding anybody up, I’m going to play the holes in whatever order I feel. I might start on 4, play 13, then 9, then maybe 7. Or I might just play the par 5’s. If the course isn’t busy, I’m going to play any order I can get my round in quickest. 

Last Saturday night it was busy. We played 1-6, waited on every shot. No chance we are finishing before dark. No end in sight but we could see open spaces. So we hopped the cart, played 15-18, then 7-14. We got all 18 in, ended up finished right a darkness, and played in 3:35. But there was a LOT of driving in between groups of holes.