Help with upper end of bag

Fenrir

Ok so I need help finding a few clubs for the top end of my bag, I’m on a budget and planing to sell a bunch of older clubs I have so I’m looking used but the problem of course is used means no fitting or even testing most of the time, So any help or insight would be great 

WITB as of right now

Driver (staying)

PXG proto 0811x set at standard 9° 

Fujikura pro xlr8 61g playing at 44.5” (bunch of lead tape to get it to where it feels good)

GPS via the grint says avg 270

Fairway clubs this is the gap I’d like to fill ideally with 2 clubs so I can keep wedge set up

Basically I have older models (think like 10+years old) of fairway woods and Hybrids that just don’t have the forgiveness I need playing off of a 17 HC right now but was as low as 14 to start year I’d like to have some ability to adjust lofts and swap shafts (despite my HC I spend a crazy amount of time on here and other sites reading so I do have an idea of what I like as far as shafts but no idea what clubs sit open/closed)

Irons (staying)

Ping IE1 4i 23* 

Project x 6.0 shafts standard L/L/L (red dot/1°flat) but thinking about bending to 22°

I have not done a bunch of GPS on 4i but best guess is 210-220 tee and 205-215 of the deck (if I hit it well) 

26 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

That was an idea I had but what models should I look at?

I want higher launch but have ballooned my current 4 wood a lot 

I’ve changed from Sim Max 3-5 woods to PXG Gen4 XF 3w 16* and XF 19* Hybrid.  The PXGs are great clubs and performing better than any other clubs I’ve had in those slots prior.

If you're on a budget, I'd do a 4 wood (16.5ish degrees) + a 20-21 degree 4 hybrid. 

For the 4W -- 2ndSwing has had some insanely good prices on Titleist TS2s lately, that's where I'd start. GlobalGolf has been running its 20% off used clubs deal, and you can find some Sim and Sim2 Max 3HLs on there. Cobra Radspeed is also a good buy on GlobalGolf. For a TS2, Sim Max 3HL or Radspeed 3W lofted up or 5W lofted down, you can accomplish what you need for probably $100-$150. 

Then for the 4H, I'd start with GlobalGolf and grab a used Radspeed. Cobra's last few models of hybrids have been very similar, so you're not really losing out on anything. It's 21 degrees so it ought to gap pretty well. And for some reason the Radspeeds are dirt cheap. I've also seen on 2ndSwing some really good prices on Titleist TS2 and 818 hybrids.

I'd bet you wouldn't need to spend more than $250-$260, and could maybe come in under that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Hey Fenrir - You could try replacing your 4w with a 3w and 5w.  There are lots of options on used adjustable fairway woods.  I play a Ping G410 3w (low launch shaft) and a Titleist TS2 5w (high launch shaft).  If you want to keep your 4w you might look at a 2 & 3 hybrid (17° and 20°).

Ping G425 Max 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

I would go 3HL (16.5) and a driving iron 18-21 degrees. This would give you options in wind vs. not, and get you a ways down there if the 3W is meant for mostly tee shots.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Tour edge hands down for value….and make great metal woods.

4w/7w, 4w/20* hybrid.

Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* w/ GD VF 6TX

OG Sim Ti 16.5 w/ D+ LTD 80TX

Cobra King Tec 19* w/ TZ6 95M5

T200-T150 4-PW w/ Accra TZi 115's

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* bent to 48* w/ Accra TZi 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* & Vokey SM9 60* D grind w/ PX LS 6.0's

LAB Mezz 1 65/35

Chrome Soft X LS

Rogue st ls hl3 is a good option. Shaft dependent. I went with a blue board to get higher launch. Tensei white was good but launched too low for what I wanted it for

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

7 hours ago, Kid Frisco said:

I’ve changed from Sim Max 3-5 woods to PXG Gen4 XF 3w 16* and XF 19* Hybrid.  The PXGs are great clubs and performing better than any other clubs I’ve had in those slots prior.

I really like my driver and wouldn’t mind pxg at all for hybrid as I know the flat setting would be key for my setup just not sure about which ones to look at

7 hours ago, eric61 said:

If you're on a budget, I'd do a 4 wood (16.5ish degrees) + a 20-21 degree 4 hybrid. 

For the 4W -- 2ndSwing has had some insanely good prices on Titleist TS2s lately, that's where I'd start. GlobalGolf has been running its 20% off used clubs deal, and you can find some Sim and Sim2 Max 3HLs on there. Cobra Radspeed is also a good buy on GlobalGolf. For a TS2, Sim Max 3HL or Radspeed 3W lofted up or 5W lofted down, you can accomplish what you need for probably $100-$150. 

Then for the 4H, I'd start with GlobalGolf and grab a used Radspeed. Cobra's last few models of hybrids have been very similar, so you're not really losing out on anything. It's 21 degrees so it ought to gap pretty well. And for some reason the Radspeeds are dirt cheap. I've also seen on 2ndSwing some really good prices on Titleist TS2 and 818 hybrids.

I'd bet you wouldn't need to spend more than $250-$260, and could maybe come in under that.

I have noticed radspeeds seem way under valued for some odd reason so I’ll have to check them out in your opinion do they sit open or closed? I’m also not opposed to titleist TS line as the offer a true 4 wood and can go flatter which wouldn’t be a bad thing for me

2 hours ago, jgreer1421 said:

Tour edge hands down for value….and make great metal woods.

4w/7w, 4w/20* hybrid.

I have a tour edge XCG-V 4 wood now and it really worked awesome for a few years but I think I’ve added a bit more swing speed and it doesn’t feel worth it to try and reshaft a club that old

I went with the standard 15 degree TSi2 and set it to 16 degrees, then I have a 21 degree TSi2. I like the standard TSi2 3 wood off the tee more than the 16.5 head, which is smaller. Excellent fairways. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I went with the standard 15 degree TSi2 and set it to 16 degrees, then I have a 21 degree TSi2. I like the standard TSi2 3 wood off the tee more than the 16.5 head, which is smaller. Excellent fairways. 

Does it close up the face when lofted up? I have a mental block with hitting clubs that look closed 

6 hours ago, Fenrir said:

Does it close up the face when lofted up? I have a mental block with hitting clubs that look closed 

I don’t notice any difference. You can change the settings til you find one that suits your eye. I have done that. I have even played it at 15 degrees and it launches well. First Titleist fairways I have played in a long time and I find these make it easier. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I’m in the same boat. Have never really got along with a 3 wood and thinking 17/18 hybrid then 20 degree utility iron. Just bought a 17 Cobra King Tec hybrid I saw on sale and used some credit from trade ins. No idea if will work as I’ve never hit. Ugh. Seems a little light and longer face which I’ve always preferred traditional shape. Also considering 17 Cally UW wood as I love the look and feel. Dang this game. 

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

53 minutes ago, hackalot said:

I’m in the same boat. Have never really got along with a 3 wood and thinking 17/18 hybrid then 20 degree utility iron. Just bought a 17 Cobra King Tec hybrid I saw on sale and used some credit from trade ins. No idea if will work as I’ve never hit. Ugh. Seems a little light and longer face which I’ve always preferred traditional shape. Also considering 17 Cally UW wood as I love the look and feel. Dang this game. 

I feel like a lot of clubs in stock form are too long and too light for me, I have a 3 wood but can’t see to get it up over like 20ft high even on well struck shots, I’d look at cally UW if they didn’t cost so much or had an adaptor I could swap shafts with 

3 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I’d go with a used sim2 max 3hl and a Sim2 or og sim 19 degree hybrid (19 is my guess if you are keeping the 4 iron).  

I was looking at sim2 3HL but was even more interested in a OG sim ti model as it’s able to be turned up/down to get me proper gapping without buying club after club 

2 hours ago, Fenrir said:

I feel like a lot of clubs in stock form are too long and too light for me, I have a 3 wood but can’t see to get it up over like 20ft high even on well struck shots, I’d look at cally UW if they didn’t cost so much or had an adaptor I could swap shafts with 

I was looking at sim2 3HL but was even more interested in a OG sim ti model as it’s able to be turned up/down to get me proper gapping without buying club after club 

I’ve played both and really liked both.  The adjustability is nice but for me the Sim2 max 3 hl is just more forgiving and easier to launch.  3 woods are hard enough for me, so I like the ease of the max version.  Both are great though.

3 hours ago, hackalot said:

The king tec hybrids are great.  Slightly larger head than some other hybrids, but I like the fairway wood shape and found it to be an excellent hybrid.  The UW’s are great as well.  That’s what I currently have in the bag.  Really long, low spin club for me.

On 8/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, black bnr32 said:

1 iron

2 iron

Blade 1 and 2 iron, it'll make you concentrate more. 

• Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

On 8/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, R.Patrick said:

4W - 7W and call it a day

On 8/19/2022 at 2:42 PM, Fenrir said:

I want higher launch but have ballooned my current 4 wood a lot 

If you're working to improve your game, you may have outgrown your old 4W.

I played Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W (very user-friendly) quite well for four years. But, as I worked on  my fairways, the XRails started launching a bit too high - going higher but not much longer. They got replaced with the first-phase Rogues from 2018 (see below).

With Tour Edge, you have several options. Also, recent TE cycles have greatly expanded the stock shafts available for long clubs.

• The Exotics fairways feature the C and E models. C722 are for competitive players and are adjustable, with base lofts of 13*, 15* and 18*. The E722 offer extreme forgiveness in aggressive head design (bonded heads), with 3W, 4W, 5W, 7W.
  • The Hot Launch fairways feature the C522 and E522 models. The Hot Launch 500 series had made a major upgrade in the Hot Launch technology. (Note: E522 might launch too high for you)
  • Depending on where you live, you might find some prior-cycle EXS and EXS.220 fairways still available. 

With Callaway, you also have options.

• ST Max features seven lofts from 3W to 11W.
  • ST MaxD (draw) features higher launch in 3W (16*), 5W, 7W.
  • ST LS has a 3HL (16*) to consider, if you can launch it.

You're making a major change in technology. See if you can get a tune-up lesson on fairways and a fitting.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

3 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

If you're working to improve your game, you may have outgrown your old 4W.

I played Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W (very user-friendly) quite well for four years. But, as I worked on  my fairways, the XRails started launching a bit too high - going higher but not much longer. They got replaced with the first-phase Rogues from 2018 (see below).

With Tour Edge, you have several options. Also, recent TE cycles have greatly expanded the stock shafts available for long clubs.

• The Exotics fairways feature the C and E models. C722 are for competitive players and are adjustable, with base lofts of 13*, 15* and 18*. The E722 offer extreme forgiveness in aggressive head design (bonded heads), with 3W, 4W, 5W, 7W.
  • The Hot Launch fairways feature the C522 and E522 models. The Hot Launch 500 series had made a major upgrade in the Hot Launch technology. (Note: E522 might launch too high for you)
  • Depending on where you live, you might find some prior-cycle EXS and EXS.220 fairways still available. 

With Callaway, you also have options.

• ST Max features seven lofts from 3W to 11W.
  • ST MaxD (draw) features higher launch in 3W (16*), 5W, 7W.
  • ST LS has a 3HL (16*) to consider, if you can launch it.

You're making a major change in technology. See if you can get a tune-up lesson on fairways and a fitting.

I’m in chicago so tour edge is fairly big here I think they are actually made close to here but fitting and lessons are not in budget which is why I’m asking you fine people lol

i will prob end up trying to grab a 4 wood and 7 wood (or maybe og sim ti 5 wood) that can be adjusted and dropping lofts as swing speed and contact improve just need to maybe try and hit up some golf stores and see if anything from titleist and or TM can be hit and tried to get some idea as to what I like 

13 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

I’m in chicago so tour edge is fairly big here I think they are actually made close to here...

TE headquarters is in Batavia, IL, just north of Aurora. But, they don't have a showroom or test site at the facility. Need to contact TE dealer for that.  

13 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

... but fitting and lessons are not in budget...

Look up the TE site and see what woods you might like. Then, go to a golf shop and see if any of the fairway woods are in the used club rack. A good shop will let you hit the used clubs to see if they will work for you. It can cost you extra $$ trying to find something hit-and-miss without hitting them first.

• Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 minute ago, ChipNRun said:

TE headquarters is in Batavia, IL, just north of Aurora. But, they don't have a showroom or test site at the facility. Need to contact TE dealer for that.  

Look up the TE site and see what woods you might like. Then, go to a golf shop and see if any of the fairway woods are in the used club rack. A good shop will let you hit the used clubs to see if they will work for you. It can cost you extra $$ trying to find something hit-and-miss without hitting them first.

I’ve got a few near my work so I’ll have to pop in and see what they have in the used area to see what may work