2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I have my first high school varsity coaching position!

This is my first coaching job at this level. I want to make it fun and competitive at the same time. It’s a private well to do high school so I don’t know what the commitment level is like. They have turned out college level golfers in the past and have been competitive but I don’t know what this class is like. 

My focus will be on the short game and will dedicate two days a week to that. The days we are on the course I thought about only playing with even number clubs and the next odd number clubs. Or taking out driver and fairways and make them play with 3 iron/hybrid off the tee. This is to teach them to get around the course with other clubs and strategy while adding different shots to their game. One other idea is to start at one set of tees, par you stay there, birdie move back one set, bogey move up one set, double move up two sets…

Thoughts/comments?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

This is my first coaching job at this level. I want to make it fun and competitive at the same time. It’s a private well to do high school so I don’t know what the commitment level is like. They have turned out college level golfers in the past and have been competitive but I don’t know what this class is like. 

My focus will be on the short game and will dedicate two days a week to that. The days we are on the course I thought about only playing with even number clubs and the next odd number clubs. Or taking out driver and fairways and make them play with 3 iron/hybrid off the tee. This is to teach them to get around the course with other clubs and strategy while adding different shots to their game. One other idea is to start at one set of tees, par you stay there, birdie move back one set, bogey move up one set, double move up two sets…

Thoughts/comments?

I would think your plan would depend on the playing level of the players. And I am not sure how your odd even plan will get them ready to play in intersquad matches?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for stepping into a position where you can be a role model for kids, greatly needed.  Here, Golf is strange, there is no lead up to a season, 2/3 days to make cuts and boom you are playing matches.  I have seen so many matches decided by one stroke, you aren’t going to make your best significantly better, it’s the bottom of the team where you can have the most change.  Agreed chipping and putting are good points of focus, have a plan, keep it tight, Kids lose focus very fast.  I guess playing half sets might promote some shot creativity, it’s different.  3 club challenge might be better for 1 practice.  Knowing the rules and how to apply them is better. If your kids know the rules the other team may look on them as the “experts”. Can’t teach all of them but the big ones are critical (oob/lb/red vs yellow). Maybe teach them to be better people, appoint 1 player per match to greet the visiting bus and point out the restrooms, offer them water, make sure they know where to go. 

good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

You make great points and what you wrote is spot on! 

I would also recommend for this new coach to keep it simple. Don't make any complicated games with even/odd clubs. I'm going to assume the kids aren't top players. Only kids who know how to manipulate, draw/fade balls would get anything out of that drill. Instead work on short game. It always comes down to putts. 

Best of luck with your first season coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John119 said:

Instead work on short game. It always comes down to putts...

and keeping tee shots in fairway. Work with anyone who is a wild child with a driver.

Also, get some sense of who each kid's golf pro/instructor is. Which kid takes two lessons a month during summer getting ready for college, which one mainly plays for fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

37 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

My biggest advice would be not to do all of the "gimmicky" stuff you mentioned.  Forcing kids to hit shots they will never actually hit in a competition isn't going to help anyone.

On the days you're allowed on the course go out and play. Make those qualifying rounds and keep a yearly running score average for each player. That will come in handy once you reach the final part of the season.

On days you are not able to get out on the course I think having them work on various parts of their game is fine (short game, putting, range time, etc.)

100% agreed.

There is no reason to play with just even or odd irons.  No reason for them to take driver or woods out of bag.

Set a practice plan for the kids everyday and incorporate drills for chipping, pitching, putting.

Play team competitions on the course pairing the teams evenly.  Groups of 3 and 2 out of 3 scores count type of thing.  Pairing better players with poor players allows the better players to teach course management.

There are a multitude of things to do to keep practices fun yet competitive without making them gimmicky.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

6 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

100% agreed.

There is no reason to play with just even or odd irons.  No reason for them to take driver or woods out of bag.

For this old guy, carrying a bag that weighs half as much is an exceptional reason to only play even or odd clubs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

My biggest advice would be not to do all of the "gimmicky" stuff you mentioned.  Forcing kids to hit shots they will never actually hit in a competition isn't going to help anyone.

I remember Sean Foley recommending golfing forward and middle tees on certain days of the week for juniors.  Why?  So they can get used to going low and going under par doesn't feel like a big deal.  Sometimes in competition you come up to a hole that has a drivable green.  Maybe the players will get too excited and blow the tee shot.  But if you've driven many greens in the past playing from forward and middle tees, then it's no big deal.  Just another birdie or eagle opportunity.

To OP, definitely read up on workout programs.  Plyometrics, weights, etc.  A strong back and strong legs are crucial for success. 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/golf-training-gets-intense-gym-driven

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

Congratulations on your new position.  I am sure you will figure out your own style of coaching that will work with the kids.  Teaching the kids honesty, integrity, work ethic, and good attitude are priceless life long lessons.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

On 8/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, TheGolfingRealtor said:

They have turned out college level golfers in the past and have been competitive but I don’t know what this class is like. 

This is usually a reflection of the junior golf and nothing of the school.  I can tell you our high school cared less about the golf team.  The team made it to Virginia 6A regionals and then they decided to show support.  Son would be playing at college either way.

Or taking out driver and fairways and make them play with 3 iron/hybrid off the tee.

Sometimes a kid best weapon is his driver.  I would really get to know each kid before broadly give maybe what is suggested on TV or something like that.

What if the kid cant hit a 3 iron/hybrid  to save his life?

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the great advice! 

I agree I need to change my approach a little. We just finished tryouts today. 

My top 3 are players. During their last round, the #1 was even thru 14, the one girl on the team was -1 and the freshman phenom was -2. I let them go home because pace of play had slowed considerably and I had seen all I needed to see. My #4 was out all week so I don’t know what I have with him. My #5 got better each day and today was his best score at 43. Then I had 4 kids competing for the last spot and the chosen one turned in a 47. If I can shave off a few strokes with his putting we are looking pretty solid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

My top 3 are players. During their last round, the #1 was even thru 14, the one girl on the team was -1 and the freshman phenom was -2. I let them go home because pace of play had slowed considerably and I had seen all I needed to see. My #4 was out all week so I don’t know what I have with him. My #5 got better each day and today was his best score at 43. Then I had 4 kids competing for the last spot and the chosen one turned in a 47. If I can shave off a few strokes with his putting we are looking pretty solid. 

Here is something else to consider, distances you play from.  In Florida I see schools playing the guys from 6000 yards.  Kids will put up decent numbers then they get to the playoffs and don't advance.  Make sure they are playing from the yardages that they will be in the state playoffs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Only 6 players on the team?

1 minute ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

6 vs. 6

I carry two alternates if the other school has a 7 & 8 that they want to play for experience.

Sure only 6 might play in a competition, but why limit the overall team roster to that amount? I've never heard of a golf team only having 6 players unless the school literally only had 6 kids who were interested. Having a 6 man (or women) golf team would be like having a 5 man basketball team...

Make it a team of 8, 9, or 10. That way those kids can get some regular, organized practice time that will help improve their game for future years.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Sure only 6 might play in a competition, but why limit the overall team roster to that amount? I've never heard of a golf team only having 6 players unless the school literally only had 6 kids who were interested. Having a 6 man (or women) golf team would be like having a 5 man basketball team...

Make it a team of 8, 9, or 10. That way those kids can get some regular, organized practice time that will help improve their game for future years.

It's out of my control. That's the way they do it. We have a JV team that is essentially the 7 & 8 players (get called up as needed) and 6 others. 

Thoughts/comments?

please don’t take this the wrong way.  You’re overthinking things a bit

short game yes. Every day.

if you have limited time on course they need to play like it’s a match. Competition between the groups

simplify especially if you have diverse skill levels

best thing you can do is emphasize fundamentals 

and find a way to inspire a few guys so they practice - when they are not at practice. 

• Like 1

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Here is my high school golf experience in a nutshell (two team state championships in 4 years):

-play everyday the course allows you to, when you don’t have matches. Keep every players score, look for trends/outliers, and coach individually off that.

-if the course doesn’t allow you to play, go to the range and play games, specifically short game. 100 yard shots, 50 yard shots, etc.

our coach had it set up so that the top two scores from a match, were exempt into the top 6 of the next match. Everyone else had to “qualify” the day before the next match. We then had seeding based off those qualification scores.

Make sure when you record scores form practice, you note which groups played together. You may see some trends where two players play better together in practice, which may translate to a match. For example: my scoring average put me between 3-4, but, our #1 played terrible when he played with the #2 based on scores, always - thus, I played in the #2 spot in matches. 

this always guarantied a win at #1, and a win at #3. 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

4 hours ago, pingfool said:

please don’t take this the wrong way.  You’re overthinking things a bit

short game yes. Every day.

if you have limited time on course they need to play like it’s a match. Competition between the groups

simplify especially if you have diverse skill levels

best thing you can do is emphasize fundamentals 

and find a way to inspire a few guys so they practice - when they are not at practice. 

Something like on friday or some other day.  Throw in something for fun.  Ryder Cup style match.  The #1 & 3 vs 2&4.  4 man scramble.  Alt shot or something.  Let the kids loosen up a little and see what they can do.

Ensure you pair the Seniors (if any) with freshman.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, Abh159 said:

Different states and Different School systems have to even out TitleIX numbers depending on policies in place.  No district is going to tell "The Football Coach" to cut players.  Other Male sports in districts, depending on policies, will have to cut male players to keep in compliance.  Not saying this is the case here, but it is a real thing.

A quick observation from my son's HS team: have a session on golf rules and make sure the team knows the rules pertaining to all options available in penalty areas and lost balls cold.  There have been recent events where the opposing team has pushed an interpretation of a rule on our guys that weren't as confident in their rules knowledge.  They were railroaded into taking a drop/penalty option that was not optimum and they lost strokes.  

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, Abh159 said:

Not sure about other states, but where I am, we get 14 total contests. Only 5 boys and 3 girls can play in a tournament as teams. I can play a few more of each in regular season matches, but starting at 3:45pm limits the max I can play without running into darkness. With so few contest opps, there is no way I am sitting a Varsity/Tournament player in favor of a less skilled player unless they are vying for the 5th or 6th spot. So with a team of 16 boys and 6 girls, there will be many not experiencing a match or tournament. Then the question is, who wants to join a team to only practice? I have to come up with ways to engage, support, and work in players so they can hopefully replace a player that is higher up. The number 7 and 8 player gives maybe 2 craps, the rest much less, which means I have a little more than half of the team who is just going through motions. Yes, those are important motions, but this is not usually realized for a year or more. 

We also do not have a JV program in our district/region. Not enough coaches, time or courses. 

We play 2-3 days a week and practice the other days. Friday is reserved for 9 hole challenges where players can compete their way up the playing order. For practice, short game and course management is paramount. Putting practice until they almost complain. Keep it fun, play games, and work on mindset. 

Most of all, have fun, I doubt you are making much for this so if you are stressed or grumpy, the kids will check out. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

That’s awesome, good for you! Those sound like great ideas, especially the on course ones, switching up things for practice rounds will keep the team interested and excited. As far as short game practice I would try to do similar type things you have in mind for the course, most of the team will most likely lose focus fast during short game practice unless you can spice it up. The dedicated players will happily practice putting drills for hours, alone, but the not so dedicated will lose focus and distract the whole team so try to come up with games and competitions, maybe even for a winning prize (gatorade, snickers).

We have 16 on the boys team and 14 on the girls team. We do player packs for gear which includes 2 shirts, hat or visor, pullover. Fundraiers help pay for this stuff. Parents pay the remaining bal. Hopefully your school takes care of all of that!

Play as often as thd course will allow. Even 9 holes is fine. Work on short game everyday! Ball striking is important, but a lot of the kids will already have swing coaches. Try to get a good assistant with playing experience. Keep it fun! Good luck!

22 hours ago, indianalawnguy said:

We have 16 on the boys team and 14 on the girls team. We do player packs for gear which includes 2 shirts, hat or visor, pullover. Fundraiers help pay for this stuff. Parents pay the remaining bal. Hopefully your school takes care of all of that!

Play as often as thd course will allow. Even 9 holes is fine. Work on short game everyday! Ball striking is important, but a lot of the kids will already have swing coaches. Try to get a good assistant with playing experience. Keep it fun! Good luck!

That is a ton of kids on both teams.

Unless there is a JV or B team schedule, my opinion is that the coach should hold no more than 10 on the roster.  It is a complete disservice to a kid to keep him/her around knowing they will never play in a match.  If they really want to play golf, they will work to improve and use being cut as motivation to work harder and get better.  Just keeping them around gives the kid no incentive as they already know they are going to be on the team regardless.  

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

That is a ton of kids on both teams.

Unless there is a JV or B team schedule, my opinion is that the coach should hold no more than 10 on the roster.  It is a complete disservice to a kid to keep him/her around knowing they will never play in a match.  If they really want to play golf, they will work to improve and use being cut as motivation to work harder and get better.  Just keeping them around gives the kid no incentive as they already know they are going to be on the team regardless.  

if you have never seen “the long green line” you might want to check it out.  I am well aware that golf and cross country are not the same, but there are some good ideas in there.  Easy to find on you tube.   Watching it should be a requirement to be a coach.

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag