2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Practice set specs.

I want to build a practice set.  Two main reasons for this.  First is I would prefer to keep my main set of clubs nicer and last longer by pounding a cheaper practice set during range/practice sessions.  Second is that I like to keep a set of clubs in my car, but am fearful of getting broken into and the set stolen, as that happened to me a long time ago, so would prefer a cheaper set in there in case that happens again.

Without arguing the merits of having a second "practice" set, what would be the best specs for this set?  Since it needs to be cheaper than the main set, it can't be identical, and often, it's what's ever is laying around(spare clubs) and/or can be obtained for cheap(budget/used).  My main question is how should the specs of the practice set compare to the specs of your main set?  I see 3 options here.  First and most obvious is to try to match the specs as closely as possible.  Second would be to make the practice set slightly more difficult, ie designed for one level lower on the handicap scale.  Third would be build the practice set to where you want your swing in a few years.

The practice set I am building has Titleist TS2 driver/3w/3h, Maltby TE Forged 4i-GW, then some spare wedges & putter.  The irons have yet to be built and I have a bunch of shaft options for the Titleist clubs, but not sure what shafts I should put in.  My main set shafts are generally soft-stiff and lightweight.  While I could put similar spec shafts to what I have in my main set, not sure I should.  I just turned 50 and am trying to slow my swing/tempo down as my bad back can't swing as fast as I used to.  Eventually, I want a smooth tempo using regular flex shafts.  Currently I am a semi-aggressive tempo with a 94 MPH driver SS.  So, is it better to match my current shafts, or put in shafts that work best for my target swing speed/type?

Any thoughts in general about practice set specs?  Please avoid arguing about having one or not as that's a totally different topic.

Thanks!

I have two practice sets.  When I bought custom new clubs I cut down the old clubs to match the length of the old ones. 

The swing weights are all pretty similar, though the old has heavier wedges while the new one keeps the SW constant through the entire set.

The larger practice set is mostly Mavrik Max with black Helium shafts. 

The big exception is the 2016 GBB driver with my Veylix shaft.  It has a really light swing weight but it really easy to use.

The 2nd practice set has a 7iron and 58* wedge with 450 recoils. The driver is a 2004 GBB.  It is cheap but I'd expect to be able to play a good round with it.

It has Pinemeadow mallet putter so it looks cheap from a distance.

Edited by ShortGolfer

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, Gerr said:

The irons have yet to be built and I have a bunch of shaft options for the Titleist clubs, but not sure what shafts I should put in.

I've looked on eBay, and your a used set of your TE Forged goes from $285 (6i-AW) to $500 (3i-PW).

What you might do is buy skip-set TE Forged heads from Maltby/GolfWorks in 4i, 6i, 8i and PW. These are $30 each, and you could shaft these yourself or have Maltby do it.

For a transition practice set, would you need full set of irons? Could you get by with skip-set on course? As for shaft, install the future shaft you are looking at. See how it works out.

I'll leave it to others to advise you on long clubs.

@Gerr, I'm 71 and lost the first half of golf season to spinal problems. Got a battery of lumbar injections, pain has gone away but my swing feels strange now. I would say you are right to lighten your load and get more help from shafts.

My physical therapist from two years ago was a golfer. He cautioned that male golfers with structural ailments incur cumulative trauma injuries from swinging too-heavy golf clubs. (Last year I went to graphite in my MAX irons).

Good luck, and keep us posted.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 8/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, Gerr said:

Without arguing the merits of having a second "practice" set, what would be the best specs for this set?  Since it needs to be cheaper than the main set, it can't be identical, and often, it's what's ever is laying around(spare clubs) and/or can be obtained for cheap(budget/used). 

My practice set is made up of my previous main set.    Every time I get a new club or set of irons, what is being replaced is moved to the practice set.

My main question is how should the specs of the practice set compare to the specs of your main set?  I see 3 options here.  First and most obvious is to try to match the specs as closely as possible.  Second would be to make the practice set slightly more difficult, ie designed for one level lower on the handicap scale.  Third would be build the practice set to where you want your swing in a few years.

First of all the specs should be the same if you want the practice sessions useful for your game.  That means playing length, shaft weight, swing weight, grip size, lie angle and face angle.    If, for whatever reason, you want to use different style of head or a slightly different set make up - that's completely up to you.   I sincerely doubt it will make any difference in your progress.   When it comes to your speed of improvement, it's your level of dedication and methodology that matters, not the equipment.  Also, there really isn't any good relationship between handicap or how one progresses as a player and club specs.  So basically no way to predict where you will be going as a player (at least as far as the equipment is concerned).

I just turned 50 and am trying to slow my swing/tempo down as my bad back can't swing as fast as I used to.  Eventually, I want a smooth tempo using regular flex shafts.  Currently I am a semi-aggressive tempo with a 94 MPH driver SS.  So, is it better to match my current shafts, or put in shafts that work best for my target swing speed/type?

If you want that tempo change to translate to the course and your main set, you need to learn to manage that tempo with a similar shaft.    Now if you want to build a single club with wildly different specs as a sort of training tool, that might be a better idea.  But if you can't practice any new motion or move or swing change with clubs that have the same or similar specs as your playing set,  don't expect those changes to make it to the course intact.

• 6 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, Gerr said:

I want to build a practice set.  Two main reasons for this.  First is I would prefer to keep my main set of clubs nicer and last longer by pounding a cheaper practice set during range/practice sessions.  Second is that I like to keep a set of clubs in my car, but am fearful of getting broken into and the set stolen, as that happened to me a long time ago, so would prefer a cheaper set in there in case that happens again.

Without arguing the merits of having a second "practice" set, what would be the best specs for this set?  Since it needs to be cheaper than the main set, it can't be identical, and often, it's what's ever is laying around(spare clubs) and/or can be obtained for cheap(budget/used).  My main question is how should the specs of the practice set compare to the specs of your main set?  I see 3 options here.  First and most obvious is to try to match the specs as closely as possible.  Second would be to make the practice set slightly more difficult, ie designed for one level lower on the handicap scale.  Third would be build the practice set to where you want your swing in a few years.

The practice set I am building has Titleist TS2 driver/3w/3h, Maltby TE Forged 4i-GW, then some spare wedges & putter.  The irons have yet to be built and I have a bunch of shaft options for the Titleist clubs, but not sure what shafts I should put in.  My main set shafts are generally soft-stiff and lightweight.  While I could put similar spec shafts to what I have in my main set, not sure I should.  I just turned 50 and am trying to slow my swing/tempo down as my bad back can't swing as fast as I used to.  Eventually, I want a smooth tempo using regular flex shafts.  Currently I am a semi-aggressive tempo with a 94 MPH driver SS.  So, is it better to match my current shafts, or put in shafts that work best for my target swing speed/type?

Any thoughts in general about practice set specs?  Please avoid arguing about having one or not as that's a totally different topic.

Thanks!

My advice is worth what is costs you to read it. I'd practice with what you intend to play with on a regular basis. Yes, your #1 set will show signs of wear over time...as it should be. They will look "well loved".  A word of caution on leaving clubs in your car. Especially during summer months. I took in one set that the grips, tape/adhesive turned into the most gawdawful gooey mess you can imagine. Similar to slime but a slime that won't let go of what it sticks to. Took me over an hour to get the shafts clean. I've never seen it but have been told of heads coming loose from shafts due keeping clubs inside the car trunk during the summer months. JMHO. YMMV. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 1:56 PM, ChipNRun said:

I've looked on eBay, and your a used set of your TE Forged goes from $285 (6i-AW) to $500 (3i-PW).

What you might do is buy skip-set TE Forged heads from Maltby/GolfWorks in 4i, 6i, 8i and PW. These are $30 each, and you could shaft these yourself or have Maltby do it.

For a transition practice set, would you need full set of irons? Could you get by with skip-set on course? As for shaft, install the future shaft you are looking at. See how it works out.

I'll leave it to others to advise you on long clubs.

@Gerr, I'm 71 and lost the first half of golf season to spinal problems. Got a battery of lumbar injections, pain has gone away but my swing feels strange now. I would say you are right to lighten your load and get more help from shafts.

My physical therapist from two years ago was a golfer. He cautioned that male golfers with structural ailments incur cumulative trauma injuries from swinging too-heavy golf clubs. (Last year I went to graphite in my MAX irons).

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I'm in a similar state as you are. Shoulder/knee surgeries, a few herniated discs. Doc recommended graphite shafts for everything other than putter. So, I'm looking at options.