Checked My Swing Weight For Each Club and a Little Surprised.

I checked the swing weight of my clubs and I was a little surprised.  My current gamer irons are PXG Gen 3 0311 with TT Elevate 95 gram R shafts at - 1/4 inch.  The swing weights range from C7.5 in the 6 iron to C9.25 in the GW.  My second set of irons are PXG 0211 with MMT graphite 80 gram stiff shafts at +1/2 inch.  The swing weight for this set ranges from D0 in the 6 iron to D5 in the LW.  What is strange is I would have guessed the graphite 0211 set to be lighter than the steel 0311 set.  I bought a roll of a lead tape and I am going to start experimenting with adding some weight to the heads.  For a starting point, I am going to try D1 in the 6 iron and add a 1/2 SW per club through the LW.  As for my long clubs, my 3W and 5W have lighter swing weights than my driver.  Does it make sense to add some weight to these clubs?  

I have attached a spreadsheet of each clubs swing weight.  

Swing weight spreadsheet.PNG

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

SW in the irons appear to be fine.  PXG will increase the SW in the short irons as seen in the listing.  How did you determine the SW?

Do you use oversize grips?

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

46 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

SW in the irons appear to be fine.  PXG will increase the SW in the short irons as seen in the listing.  How did you determine the SW?

Do you use oversize grips?

Thanks Bob.  I measured the SW on an old Golfsmith manual SW scale.  I have standard grips on the clubs.  

37 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

I have clubs that seem very low in swing weight but I swing them just fine.

I don't see any benefit to adding lead weight if the distance and dispersion are as good as any similar club.

Thanks.  

43 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

Thanks Bob.  I measured the SW on an old Golfsmith manual SW scale.  I have standard grips on the clubs.  

I have the same scale, so I would say those are light and you might want to experiment with some lead tape to achieve a new SW to see if a heavier SW might be better.

If so, then pulling the heads and adding tip weights would be worthwhile.

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

swingweights are a weird thing especially with different lengths and different OEM measuring specs. Besides the PW I have 8-10grams of tape on all my mizuno 221s to get them to D3.5. I like to play off a 5iron=38" EOG on the 60* ruler which is about 1/4" shorter than mizuno standard now.

• Thanks 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

23 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

I have the same scale, so I would say those are light and you might want to experiment with some lead tape to achieve a new SW to see if a heavier SW might be better.

If so, then pulling the heads and adding tip weights would be worthwhile.

Why not use tungsten powder and corks then regrip when there’s an idea of weights to be adjusted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

The graphite ones are 3/4 inch longer than the steel, which is a 4.5 SW change.

MMT’s seem to be tip heavy.  The last clubs I built with them were d3 with no tip weights or lead tape.

as to adding lead tape to your clubs there is no way to know if it is a good idea or not.  Add some to your 7 iron and see if it feels better or worse.  Then proceed from there.

Edited by jomatty
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pastit said:

Why not use tungsten powder and corks then regrip when there’s an idea of weights to be adjusted. 

Have not done that method, but if one needs to make a change then might be difficult to remove them without removing the heads also.  If so, I would prefer to just remove the heads and add tip weights as my preference.  Removing the heads is as easy as removing the grip for me.

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice....it is very much appreciated.  I will update as I experiment with adding some weight.  Being a bit detail oriented, it bothers me that there is no order to my current swing weights.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

As for my long clubs, my 3W and 5W have lighter swing weights than my driver.  Does it make sense to add some weight to these clubs? 

Swing weight is a VERY imperfect system.   Do NOT try to compare swing weights against clubs with significantly different lengths and/or shaft weights - or expect or force any 'order' to any resulting madness you might have or get.

Drivers, Woods, hybrids, irons, wedges - at a minimum each of those groups should be fit for swing weight independently.   Don't try to look for or force any SW patterns or matching between them.  So, no it does not make sense to add head weight to the fairways just because the driver is heavier.   

But, clearly you haven't really ever been fit for swing weight.   So yes it does make sense it to go to the range with each type of club and bring some lead tape, and sure - go ahead and play around.   But don't worry about the value.   Don't use any arbitrary value as a starting point or start adding weight before you get to the range, just go the the range as is.   Then when you get there and get warmed up, that's the time to start add/subtract the lead tape (~2 gm increments) and dial in the best head weight by the feel and the ball flight results you get.

For the irons - you can do that for the longest and shortest  (e.g. 5i and GW) and then create your own swing weight "slope" based on those results.   Or you can just do it for a middle iron and match swing weights.

And since the shaft weights are different between the two sets of irons,  you can't use the results from one set to help with the other set.   You should fit each set for head weight separately.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Swing weight is a VERY imperfect system.   Do NOT try to compare swing weights against clubs with significantly different lengths and/or shaft weights - or expect or force any 'order' to any resulting madness you might have or get.

Drivers, Woods, hybrids, irons, wedges - at a minimum each of those groups should be fit for swing weight independently.   Don't try to look for or force any SW patterns or matching between them.  So, no it does not make sense to add head weight to the fairways just because the driver is heavier.   

But, clearly you haven't really ever been fit for swing weight.   So yes it does make sense it to go to the range with each type of club and bring some lead tape, and sure - go ahead and play around.   But don't worry about the value.   Don't use any arbitrary value as a starting point or start adding weight before you get to the range, just go the the range as is.   Then when you get there and get warmed up, that's the time to start add/subtract the lead tape (~2 gm increments) and dial in the best head weight by the feel and the ball flight results you get.

For the irons - you can do that for the longest and shortest  (e.g. 5i and GW) and then create your own swing weight "slope" based on those results.   Or you can just do it for a middle iron and match swing weights.

And since the shaft weights are different between the two sets of irons,  you can't use the results from one set to help with the other set.   You should fit each set for head weight separately.

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate your advice.  I was thinking that iron sets were typically D1 or D2, so I was surprised when the PXG 0311 irons were C7 - C9.  For some reason, PXG doesn't list swing weight on their website.  I hit them well, but I am always willing to tinker to see if there is any improvement.  

On 9/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, BirdieBob said:

Have not done that method, but if one needs to make a change then might be difficult to remove them without removing the heads also.  If so, I would prefer to just remove the heads and add tip weights as my preference.  Removing the heads is as easy as removing the grip for me.

Hey Bob - Where do you buy your tip weights?  

2 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

Hey Bob - Where do you buy your tip weights?  

Golfworks for brass

https://www.golfworks.com/brass-tip-weights/p/btwv/

• Thanks 1

For Saturday's round of golf, I added 2 swingweight increments to my driver - 5W and 0311 irons.  Every club was noticeably heavier.  I hit them straight, with lower ball flight, and less yardage.  The driver felt very solid, but was 10 - 15 yards short; the 3W was frozen rope line drives, and the 5W was lower ball flight and shorter.  For the irons, I was dropping down a club to hit my yardages, and GIR was good.  The wedges felt very good with the additional weight.

For Sunday's round, I reduced the swingweight on the driver by one and moved the lead tape near the face and parallel to the face.  First 3 drives were 2 right in the rough and 1 left in the rough.  I moved the tape to back of the club and hit the remainder of fairways.  For the 3W I reduced the swingweight by one and adjusted the loft from 13.5 to 14.5 and it was golden.  I removed the lead tape from the 5W.  I added 1/2 swingweight to my 3 hybrid and hit it very well (no misses to the left).  For the 0311 irons, I reduced the swingweights by 1 and tried to hit increments of 0.25 swingweight between clubs.  The irons felt good, dispersion was good, and maybe 1/2 club longer than on Saturday.  

No changes for Monday's round.  I definitely like the feel of the clubs I added some weight to.  I find it very amazing the effect a small amount of weight makes on a clubhead and also where you place the weight.  

Edited by DLeightonReid
  • Like 3

I got a few different shafts to try on my PXG 0811X driver from my father in law.  Some are very short (on my Golfsmith sw scale, it comes in at a C1!) 

Does anyone know of a good seller for PXG weight sets?  I bought a weight kit for my old Titleist TS2 off ebay but don't see anything similar, just individual weights.  With the 2 weight system PXG uses (it's my first PXG) I'm not sure what the proper combination would be so I'm looking for a set.

Also, does anyone know if the the weights for Gen4 driver fit the Gen 5 driver?  

Thanks!

If you can't find a set, I suggest experimentally figuring it out with lead tape.  Then you know what to buy.

At one time I thought that C1 was too light.  Now I know that I can do fine with B4, perhaps even lighter!

If the SW is too high I rush the swing and that throws off my tempo.

Edited by ShortGolfer

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

If you can't find a set, I suggest experimentally figuring it out with lead tape.  Then you know what to buy.

At one time I thought that C1 was too light.  Now I know that I can do fine with B4, perhaps even lighter!

If the SW is too high I rush the swing and that throws off my tempo.

Wow...B4.  I'm headed to my indoor range to try the shafts without any extra weight.  I'll let the GC Quad spit out numbers and see what's what.

I was thinking the same thing with the lead tape but I doubt I have enough lol.

I have the 0311Ts and love the contact but think they feel too light…and I was right…they all came in at C7. I also have the MMT 80s as well. It’s a light club, no doubt. 

Talked with PXG and they said irons have to be shipped to them plus a $50 charge and they can increase the swingweights…however, only by 2 points. Not a great answer, but I get it.

These are light heads and I think that’s a design decision, not a performance decision…I’m sure it’s a plus for CHS. That said, I do have a preference for D0 on the longer clubs running to D6 on all my wedges….so, that’ll be a lead tape exercise. 

Will be interesting to get some data…and maybe go down the path of tip weights if I get any meaningful results or even better feel. Great clubs though…have hit some great shots, but also some weirdly random short carries as my miss…

PXG Gen4 0811 X w/Accra Dymatch 2.0
Cleveland  Launcher HB 15*
TaylorMade Stealth Plus hybrid, 23*
Cobra Forged Tec (2022) 5-GW
Edel SMS 54* and 58*
Ben Hogan BHM02 putter

Ping Hoofer