2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jack vs Tiger

mikealex07

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Jack vote here. Part of that is demeanour. Jack was as competitive as anybody, but wore it with a lot more grace. Tiger comes from the stamp on their neck and dance on their grave school of competitiveness, which to me has less class and grace. 

• Like 2

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Each era has its dominant player.  Historical context is an important factor.  It's questionable whether or not Tiger could have competed with Jack during his Jack's era just as it's questionable whether or not Jack could have competed with Tiger during his.  Both players dominated the field in terms of the mental game but it's impossible to guess whether or not either one would have done better at the same time.  All we can guess is that a 25 year old Jack vs. a 25 year old Tiger in any era would have been a formidable battle.  Would old Tom Morris have beaten Tiger in 1890?  Would a 25 year old Walter Hagen have beaten a 25 year old Jack in Walters era?  It's fun to think about but impossible to even guess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a vote for Jack. TW did have that intimidation factor over a lot of players. I do think there were players of Tigers era who weren’t intimidated by him, but they just lacked the talent to be able to hang. That being said, I feel like Jack is probably the greatest combination of never being intimidated and has the talent to back it up. Thats a pretty lethal combo, and thats why I would give Jack the edge. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If Jack were in his prime playing with today's technology, come on are you serious. Jack would have several more Majors than what he has now. Look at how many times he finished in 2nd place at Majors. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

For me it's Jack, several reasons and I dont want to bring to much personal opinion into this but times were different for sure. Look at the reason I personally dont care for Tiger Woods, simply look at his fisrt Augusta win and what happened to Fuzzy Zoeller, who was suppose to be his friend and supporter, he JOKINGLY ( as a friend / mentor ) made a statement about his dinner menu and was slaughtered for it, Fuzzy made comments about what they might serve at his awards dinner, and go from there. That is not how you treat, respect, support friends, even if they are being facisious! I think alot of Pro golfers saw the reaction and results from that and were intimidated, not by Tiger but the establishment and media. It ended Fuzzy's career which I still to this day think was wrong, miss handled by Tiger, the media, and the PGA. 

But Jack was playing golf with inferior equipment compared to tiger in all facets, the comparison is not even close so we cant truly compare these two, but on professionalism, character and humility I certainly think Jack handled himself better.

For a guy that has been around the game for over 40+ years I have to say this. Are these two the very best of all time, the record shows they were, but as we all know there were probably alot of guys equally as good that never got a chance to prove themselves, due to finances, commitments, backing, sponsorships etc, so in no way can we say they were the best ever. It would do to much injustice to the local, or urban legends that never got a chance to prove themselves.

I agree each generation has the greatest and we will continue to see this, with technology, sports advancements, and such, but to me it comes down to simple answers. Was Jack Nicholas a man you would want your children to look up to or idolize, maybe or probably, was Tiger Woods a person you would want your children to look up to or idolize and my answer is No. I'm sorry but as a loving parent I cannot say to my kids you should model yourself after Tiger Woods so it's pretty simple to me and I have to ask would we be having this discussion 25 years ago if both were in the same generation or would it be socially or politially incorrect to even bring it up. Back in my early days, 60's - 70's it was tabu to talk about this kind of thing with a person who lived such a life style.

I'm truly blessed to have these morlas and the ability to teach them to my sons and grandchildren.

Thanks     

Edited by RHenderson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Vrs Tiger, ? Intersesting. In thier prime?  Game, stats, wins, Headline News, influence, contributions, humanity etc?  What is really the answer. Ultimately there is only one dicider. And it's not up to me so again I'm not really sure why we are having this discussion? maybe for the sake of argument over something we have no decision. How can we intelligently discuss this, it's like apples and oranges.

Tiger. aside from 18 vs. 15, Tiger's a better athlete, and was under more pressure than Jack. Both are untouchable athletes in their prime even to the modern era; but you can only imagine the amount of pressure Tiger had as a POC. In addition, with the media booming in the early 1990s-2000s. Personally, head to head in 10 majors i'd go tiger 6 jack 4. 

• Like 4

Qi10 ls: ventus black 6x

- Fine tuning. 

Humility! Pass it on its a virtue.

Hes the best at what? Golf? Life? What is the parameter it's a game given to us for enjoyment, why ruin it with statements like this. Maybe Best of the day, best at the tournement, best of that year or how about the low scorer of the tournament? Do we think time is going to freeze or stand still for us, or Tiger Woods, we are sadly mistaken. I'm saddened to think us Humans have accepted the thought or idea that golf as we have witnessed will cease to evolve or improve with a single human. It will carry on and continue to improve.

I know alot of people worship or follow this beleif and it's your right to do so, I'm not here to promote or argue otherwise, I'm simply stating what I've seen with my own eyes and promote your ability to do likewise because it says alot about our chacter who we idolize. Pressing on.

Thanks

Rich

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

Jack Vrs Tiger, ? Intersesting. In thier prime?  Game, stats, wins, Headline News, influence, contributions, humanity etc?  What is really the answer. Ultimately there is only one dicider. And it's not up to me so again I'm not really sure why we are having this discussion? maybe for the sake of argument over something we have no decision. How can we intelligently discuss this, it's like apples and oranges.

These threads come up during this time of year, every year.  Golfers are bored and not able to golf but we still want to talk about it.

The thread is about a head to head competition between the two on the golf course, nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

1 minute ago, wobgon said:

Are you about finished.

Finished With what? just trying to keep up. There is alot to keep up with and I'm not real good at all of this. But as another member stated i'm bored as well as the others since it's suppose to be minus _3* here this weekend and we cannot play golf. I'm the best golfer in our group and need to let others know about it. 

• Haha 1