Hole in One - Do you count them if it was on a Par 3 Course??

Garycoral

4 hours ago, dugue4 said:

I think it counts as long as you have to take a full swing.  

... Amen. Trying to hit a ball that is 1.68" in diameter into a hole that is 4.25" in diameter with a hunk of metal at the end of a long stick is just shy of impossible. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 9/7/2022 at 11:59 PM, chisag said:

... You have surprised me here. I did not have you in the judge smails category of wrx members but more in the Danny Noonan camp. 🤪  So what do you call a shot on a par 3 course when you hit it once and it goes in the hole? It is obviously a hole in one but evidently it needs a different name other than a hole in one because even though you hit it in the hole in one, hole in one does not apply so what do you call a hole in one that isn't a hole in one? 

Eagle.  😄  Jk.  As long as it is a full swing, I would count it. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Absolutely not. I play an 18 par 3 course at least once a week, I have for decades, it keeps the short game sharp. If I counted those "aces" on that course I would have dozens of aces. As it is, I have 5 on regulation courses. So 5 is the real answer.   Par 3 courses are great practice though, I hole out with what my opponents find to be alarming regularity from inside 100 yards for eagles and birds...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is 100% a hole in one. Anyone saying otherwise is just jealous. Don't listen to crusty old men on the internet. Tell him to enjoy having 2 HOI in the same year. This is outstanding.  

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

1 minute ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

This is 100% a hole in one. Anyone saying otherwise is just jealous. Don't listen to crusty old men on the internet. Tell him to enjoy having 2 HOI in the same year. This is outstanding.  

Esox above is quite right IMO. Otherwise holing wedge shots etc on ALL golf holes would need to be included. Jealousy - no way. 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

Nope. Unless he was daft and was aiming at the red flag thinking that was actually the hole he should be hitting towards. I'd give him a half a HIO for that. It's not a true HIO because, well, he can't legitimately put a 1 on his scorecard for that, now can he? 

But if he knew he should be playing to the blue flag, and he was, putting it in the red hole counts zero. 

To add insult to injury, he has to take an unplayable lie from the wrong hole.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, Garycoral said:

My Son this summer has is 1st Hole in One up at Whistling Straits #12 - Good for him!!   Just this past week he's down at Pinehurst playing the Cradle and score an Ace on #9 there - Is his legit total hole in One count 2 of them, or just 1 ?? 

Two things have to happen for a hole in one: 1. Player hits ball once from the tee box.  2. Ball goes in the hole. 

Edited by rd1959

2 hours ago, rd1959 said:

Two things have to happen for a hole in one: 1. Player hits ball once from the tee box.  2. Ball goes in the hole. 

I swished a 3-pointer once on a legit basketball court, but it's not counted anywhere in the records.  

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I think for me the yardage test considers the 7th hole at Pebble Beach as the minimum distance required to count it. I aced the first and ninth holes at the Cradle from 102 and 100 yards respectively (same round to boot). Because of the yardage I count them. If the yardage was under 90 I’d be excited but I wouldn’t count them towards my total. 

I’ve also got one from 191 yards at Bethpage Black so the resume is not lacking. 

Edited by italianstallion

• 2 weeks later...

My first answer is yes,  count it.

Now,  if it's a novelty course with *really* short holes, <<100y let's say,  I might feel different but the local exec course here is rated. I think about 60/98, mostly typical par 3s, a few 4s. I think it is more "official " getting an ace on a rated track.

Also, what about practice rounds or off season? If you ace the 14th during a practice round, do you suddenly start trying to calculate what you did on 1-13 so you can frame a proper looking scorecard?

On 10/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, soregongolfer said:

My opinion is if you play a course that gives you 18 opportunities to hit a HIO, it doesn't count.  

Every course gives you 18 opportunities, if you hit the ball far enough 😉 

But seriously, I play 18 holes roughly every 2 weeks. If I am lucky, I can play weekly. 

So you're saying if I were to play once weekly on an 18-hole exec course and make a HIO on a 150 yard hole, it doesn't count, but if someone who plays 4-5 times a week on a par 72 course and makes a HIO on a 150 yard hole, it does? After all, that person is just maximizing their opportunities for a HIO by playing more often. 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

...  Eagles and for many birdies, shooting your age, getting to single digits and hitting a 300 yd drive are a few things some golfers will never experience. There are just so many things in this game the majority of golfers will never accomplish. Making a hole in one isn't on that list as anybody can do it. If you are challenged by longer clubs and breaking 100 is just a dream, I don't see why an executive or par 3 course wouldn't count if you hit a legit hole in one, meaning first swing on a hole when you are keeping core. We see lots of range warriors that hit great shots but can't seem to replicate them on the course when it counts. "When it counts" is the key because it adds pressure to every shot so about the only time I would say a hole in one doesn't count is a practice round because if you aren't counting your bad shots, you can't count your good shots. And of course a mulligan. 

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Every course gives you 18 opportunities, if you hit the ball far enough 😉 

But seriously, I play 18 holes roughly every 2 weeks. If I am lucky, I can play weekly. 

So you're saying if I were to play once weekly on an 18-hole exec course and make a HIO on a 150 yard hole, it doesn't count, but if someone who plays 4-5 times a week on a par 72 course and makes a HIO on a 150 yard hole, it does? After all, that person is just maximizing their opportunities for a HIO by playing more often. 

How often you play has no bearing on a HIO.  Having 18 opportunities in a round does.  Every year a local newspaper does a story on a man who consistently hits 8-10 holes in one a year.  He strictly plays on an executive course.  How many people do you know who have 8-10 holes in one a year on a real course?  

6 minutes ago, soregongolfer said:

How often you play has no bearing on a HIO.  Having 18 opportunities in a round does. 

... Of course it does. I play 4-6 times a week in season. That is around 80 par 3's a month. Someone playing an executive course every Saturday will play around 20 par 3's a month or a max of 40 if they play 9 holes twice. Even a typical 9 hole par 3 course will only play 36 par 3's a month. What about those physically challenged that can only play 9 holes on a par 3 or executive course? Not that any of these responses really matters as nobody is going to count or not count their HIO's based on golf forum opinions. Life is rough, I think you should take your wins when you can get them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jwin323 said:

I woul say it counts on any course that has a legit course rating and slope established by a recognized governing body.

Personally, I'm not counting any holes-in-one I make on an executive course or on a legit course if I roll the ball up to the hole from off the green, if I hit a tree and it goes in the hole... or for any reason if the ball flight is not attractive.

• Confused 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Personally, I'm not counting any holes-in-one I make on an executive course or on a legit course if I roll the ball up to the hole from off the green, if I hit a tree and it goes in the hole... or for any reason if the ball flight is not attractive.

... Haha too funny as my cousin has never broken 100 and he has 4 and did both. I saw him top a 5 wood from 165 down a hill, hop over a creek then roll up on the green and roll in the hole. I also saw him slice a driver off a tree from 185 that bounced sideways onto the green and rolled in the hole. Both were you had to see it to believe it HIO's. Obviously shooting over 100 every round he doesn't hit many good shots so I am happy for him. 

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... Of course it does. I play 4-6 times a week in season. That is around 80 par 3's a month. Someone playing an executive course every Saturday will play around 20 par 3's a month or a max of 40 if they play 9 holes twice. Even a typical 9 hole par 3 course will only play 36 par 3's a month. What about those physically challenged that can only play 9 holes on a par 3 or executive course? Not that any of these responses really matters as nobody is going to count or not count their HIO's based on golf forum opinions. Life is rough, I think you should take your wins when you can get them. 

If I'm staring down virtually the same shot 18 times in one day, I'll play it better than I would if I played those same shots four times in a day.  Plus, my swing isn't the same day after day.  But that's me.  

8 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

If I'm staring down virtually the same shot 18 times in one day, I'll play it better than I would if I played those same shots four times in a day.  Plus, my swing isn't the same day after day.  But that's me.  

Virtually the same shot? My normal course is an exec course, par 60, 3670 yards. 

Par 3 Holes:

• 2 - 171 yard downhill to a back-to-front sloped green.
  • 3 - 146 slight uphill over a bunker to a mostly blind green.
  • 5 - 168 significantly uphill to a blind green
  • 7 - 148 flat to a back-to-front sloped green
  • 8 - 174 flat with a narrow long front to back green complex protected on both sides
  • 11 - 172 uphill to a blind green
  • 12 - 118 significantly downhill to a severely back-to-front sloped green
  • 14 - 163 slight uphill to a flat green
  • 15 - 162 slight downhill to a severely back-top-front sloped green
  • 16 - 136 flat to a flat green
  • 17 - 193 downhill to an elevated multi-tier green
  • 18 - 225 slight downhill to a long narrow green protected on both sides

Holes 5 and 11 are very similar. I'll give that. Holes 3 and 7, despite similar length, are very different (you usually can't see the bottom of the flag on 3 so you need to guess where it is, and the holes face opposite directions so wind can be opposite. Holes 14 and 15 seem like they'd be identical, but have very different green complexes and also face 180* opposite direction so wind is a factor, i.e. on 14 the green is protected on all sides by slope and tree so wind can swirl or even die, whereas 15 you're in the protected area hitting to a green that exposed. 

The course is 58.2/99, so it's not particularly difficult and seems like the type of course you "wouldn't count". But that doesn't in any way approach the concept of facing the same shot over and over...

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Virtually the same shot? My normal course is an exec course, par 60, 3670 yards. 

Par 3 Holes:

• 2 - 171 yard downhill to a back-to-front sloped green.
  • 3 - 146 slight uphill over a bunker to a mostly blind green.
  • 5 - 168 significantly uphill to a blind green
  • 7 - 148 flat to a back-to-front sloped green
  • 8 - 174 flat with a narrow long front to back green complex protected on both sides
  • 11 - 172 uphill to a blind green
  • 12 - 118 significantly downhill to a severely back-to-front sloped green
  • 14 - 163 slight uphill to a flat green
  • 15 - 162 slight downhill to a severely back-top-front sloped green
  • 16 - 136 flat to a flat green
  • 17 - 193 downhill to an elevated multi-tier green
  • 18 - 225 slight downhill to a long narrow green protected on both sides

Holes 5 and 11 are very similar. I'll give that. Holes 3 and 7, despite similar length, are very different (you usually can't see the bottom of the flag on 3 so you need to guess where it is, and the holes face opposite directions so wind can be opposite. Holes 14 and 15 seem like they'd be identical, but have very different green complexes and also face 180* opposite direction so wind is a factor, i.e. on 14 the green is protected on all sides by slope and tree so wind can swirl or even die, whereas 15 you're in the protected area hitting to a green that exposed. 

The course is 58.2/99, so it's not particularly difficult and seems like the type of course you "wouldn't count". But that doesn't in any way approach the concept of facing the same shot over and over...

They're still all iron shots aren't they?  You have 18 chances at a HIO.  18.  Not 3 like at my home course.  18.  I wouldn't count it.  That's me.  You would.  Cool.  We disagree.  It happens.  The sun is still shining. 😉

On 9/6/2022 at 7:04 PM, Rosco1216 said:

Because you get only 4 chances during a traditional 18 holes and the par 3’s are different lengths. Unlike an executive par 3 course, where you can play basically every hole with pw or less and you’re basically hitting a similar shot 9 times in a row. 

You make it sound like it's an easy feat....so if my 18 hole course has 6 par 3's on it, will it not count because I had 6 chances?   

This right here should be proof enough that 9 times in a row doesn't up the odds:  

Yes this counts.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 10/10/2022 at 1:36 PM, MountainKing said:

You make it sound like it's an easy feat....so if my 18 hole course has 6 par 3's on it, will it not count because I had 6 chances?   

This right here should be proof enough that 9 times in a row doesn't up the odds:  

Yes this counts.  

You obviously didn’t read my comments.

Edited by Rosco1216

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Sure, hit the ball in the hole with your first shot, its a HIO. 

I have had one, playing my second round with a new set, 5 iron into a breeze on a 180-yard hole. Knew it was good, but didn't see it, got to the green and couldn't see the ball on the green, had a look in the hole, bingo. 

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome