Hogan Irons?

I am looking at picking up a set, I think I’ve settled on a nice playable set in the 80-90’s. The Edge series seems intriguing especially since they are forged. 

any suggestions?

I need another set as much as I need a second wife, so am willing to wait it out for something perfect but wondering what are your faves?

8 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I am looking at picking up a set, I think I’ve settled on a nice playable set in the 80-90’s. The Edge series seems intriguing especially since they are forged. 

any suggestions?

I need another set as much as I need a second wife, so am willing to wait it out for something perfect but wondering what are your faves?

For me Hogan is about pure blades so Edge would be low on my list even if amongst the most playable from the '80's.

You still get a good choice as Apex II (cameo) carried over in to the early 80's. 

My choice would be either Apex PC (which comes with a perhaps ill deserved reputation for being hard to play) or '88 Redlines.

Can't really go wrong with the Redlines - beautiful irons and quite forgiving for a forged blade.

• Like 4

The reason I'm going later years is I want a very playable set, I have plenty of straight blades and MB's. I do have a set of dictators which are blades. It is getting close to fall/winter golf by me and in the mud and soft conditions I need something like the edge. would like to here from some others

Edited by Wham49

I grew up playing a set of the forged Radials. They are a little bit more forgiving that a pure blade, but man good contact with those clubs felt better than any blade I've ever swung.

They released a forged and a cast version of the irons. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the way to tell the difference between them is the "Radial" stamp on the sole. I believe the forged ones are underlined and the cast ones are not. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

The reason I'm going later years is I want a very playable set, I have plenty of straight blades and MB's. I do have a set of dictators which are blades. It is getting close to fall/winter golf by me and in the mud and soft conditions I need something like the edge. would like to here from some others

I've always been a fan of forged cavity backs and the Edge was one of the pioneers in that regard. I liked the original version. Didn't care much for the midsize and never tried out the CFT.

In terms of playability I was more successful with CB middle and long irons. Needed and still need that forgiveness. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

I've always been a fan of forged cavity backs and the Edge was one of the pioneers in that regard. I liked the original version. Didn't care much for the midsize and never tried out the CFT.

In terms of playability I was more successful with CB middle and long irons. Needed and still need that forgiveness. 

I was going to ask about the different versions, why didnt you like the midsized? cause that seems like something I would like if it is the same shape but slighlty smaller

26 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

anybody know what the numbers mean on the apex shafts, if 4 is stiff why is 3 reg. what is 1 or 2 mean

Edited by Wham49

21 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

anybody know what the numbers mean on the apex shafts, if 4 is stiff why is 3 reg. what is 1 or 2 mean

There are people more qualified than me to answer this, but shaft stiffness labelling is not unified, and is up to the manufacturers. So while Macgregor used a descending number order to denote shaft stiffness (at least at one point in their history; their labelling system changed), Hogan used an ascending order.

Also, while 4 is supposedly stiff, I've found that the Apex shafts play fairly soft for me. I can get by with a 4, but 3 is awful. On the other hand, old Dynamic Regular flex shafts are OK. In other words, the Apex shafts play softer for me than Dynamics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wham49 said:

I think you meant "Directors", but the difference is sometimes non-existent....

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

There are people more qualified than me to answer this, but shaft stiffness labelling is not unified, and is up to the manufacturers. So while Macgregor used a descending number order to denote shaft stiffness (at least at one point in their history; their labelling system changed), Hogan used an ascending order.

Also, while 4 is supposedly stiff, I've found that the Apex shafts play fairly soft for me. I can get by with a 4, but 3 is awful. On the other hand, old Dynamic Regular flex shafts are OK. In other words, the Apex shafts play softer for me than Dynamics.

ok, so is there a 5? cause I pay x100, they can be somewhat softer than that as s300 are fine for me but anything less is a def. a no go for me

If you play X100, then you should just about manage with Apex 4. Before age and back injuries, I played X100s, and when I did, I found Apex 4 to be a "soft" stiff. Now, I play S300 by choice, and find the Apex 4 in my '72 Apexes to be soft but OK. 

With that said, I don't know how much the Apex shaft profile changed over the years. What I can definitely say is the Apex 4s in my '72 Apex irons feel soft, especially tip-soft. 

But I still quite like those irons, even with that funny underslung hosel😄

Edit: Yes, "5" does exist, though I don't think I've ever seen it here in Japan. Lots of 3s, and ocassional 4s. That's one reason why I don't have many Hogan irons in my lineup.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I am looking at picking up a set, I think I’ve settled on a nice playable set in the 80-90’s. The Edge series seems intriguing especially since they are forged

Not sure about your preferences; the original Edge is very playable.  I'd loosely compare it to an Eye2, but with a forged feel instead of cast.

If you don't prefer quite so much offset, the Edge GS is a bit more of a finesse club but still a playable cavity back.  Would be my personal preference.

If you're willing to "modernize" a bit more, I'd strongly recommend the Apex Edge Pro from the early 2000s.  I play a full set, 3i-GW.  They're one of the best forged cavity backs I've ever hit.  Much more forgiving than the Apex line, and the feel is still everything you'd expect.  Much better looking club than the original Edge, as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Not sure about your preferences; the original Edge is very playable.  I'd loosely compare it to an Eye2, but with a forged feel instead of cast.

If you don't prefer quite so much offset, the Edge GS is a bit more of a finesse club but still a playable cavity back.  Would be my personal preference.

If you're willing to "modernize" a bit more, I'd strongly recommend the Apex Edge Pro from the early 2000s.  I play a full set, 3i-GW.  They're one of the best forged cavity backs I've ever hit.  Much more forgiving than the Apex line, and the feel is still everything you'd expect.  Much better looking club than the original Edge, as well.

so is the gs the midsized, which sound good to me, I have plenty of apex pro like iron sets, thanks, will look at the gs, I love the eye 2, but like the less off set and slightly smaller head

42 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

so is the gs the midsized

The "Midsized" branding comes from the Edge GCD, which came in both "Tour" and "Midsized" models, and was produced in the mid 90s, after the original Edge (late 80s) and the Edge GS (early 90s).

Essentially, it's the mid 90s evolution of the original Edge and the Edge GS.

I've not hit them, but I'd assume the GCD Tour would be a comparable option to the GS.  I'd still personally prefer the GS - it's probably going to be easier to find and it looks way better.

Good luck, would love to see a photo when you land your set.  I think the old Edge irons are perfect candidates for some bling, i.e. paint fill/custom ferrules, etc, but they also look fantastic as they were designed and I'm not going to argue with anyone who says keep them classic.

30 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

The "Midsized" branding comes from the Edge GCD, which came in both "Tour" and "Midsized" models, and was produced in the mid 90s, after the original Edge (late 80s) and the Edge GS (early 90s).

Essentially, it's the mid 90s evolution of the original Edge and the Edge GS.

I've not hit them, but I'd assume the GCD Tour would be a comparable option to the GS.  I'd still personally prefer the GS - it's probably going to be easier to find and it looks way better.

Good luck, would love to see a photo when you land your set.  I think the old Edge irons are perfect candidates for some bling, i.e. paint fill/custom ferrules, etc, but they also look fantastic as they were designed and I'm not going to argue with anyone who says keep them classic.

ya I played ping eye 2's for a couple years as my daily players, would like something slightly smaller and less offset, I play the titleist 704 cb's and kinda like thta feel, want to play something a little bigger and rounded for the fall winter conditions in the midwest, I used the wison 1200 LT for a season and liked them just a little too bulky for me though

Edited by Wham49
  • Like 1

so I piocked up a set of GS's 3-E, should come next week. I was looking for a n easy flip, like pay for a good set and just play them, but I found a decent set with graphites on, that I picked up for half of what every other set was going for. SO I picked up a cool set of ferrules. I have 2 sets of shafts I am considering. one is an apex 4, the other is an unknown stiffness DG, I just have to find out what they are, by pullng one of the grips

Edited by Wham49

I'd suggest a Hogan Magnum Plus from 1991....they were my first set of good clubs & suited me perfectly. I don't know the difference between the Magnum & Magnum Plus (if there is any). I'm not sure they classify as "cavity backed" but there is a cavity. Or have some fun and find a set of Producers, many don't like them so they can be had for less than the Redlines mentioned above. 

Oops, see that you already picked a set....good luck

• Like 1

Ok guys got my GS’s today. Was looking for a slightly larger head for winter golf up here in Wisconsin, I play the Titliest 704 cb’s as my usual set, wanted something that was ok to beat up and have the same type profile as the 704’s and these seem to look the part, I’m going to put a set of Apex 4’s on them thst I had on another set with some cool ferrules that I picked up,  give them a once over with liquid wrench and steel wool, and new grips, I like my irons to look nice but played, don’t want to put too much into them, then I wouldn’t want to play them I’ll show a pic of the finished product and thoughts on the first swings with them

6CDE5AF6-EA23-4215-ADF8-D33935A8CC29.jpeg

CE1655B2-AB0B-4323-8283-9C7FEA13D803.jpeg

5F8AD3AE-CF0B-4C9A-A4B3-684CBBC8E088.jpeg

D2B60B18-AF8F-48C8-A4AB-89B0F356378F.jpeg

0DD9F54C-38CF-4FFE-B9F4-EC4D1D9B55E7.jpeg

Edited by Wham49
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got a chance to play them this week and oddly shot well, tied for my best of the season, I also brought a putter that I bought the day before, goes to show you equipment don’t matter, just mindset, for me anyway. Here is how they turned out. Like I said don’t want them showroom quality, just nice looking, the ferrules turned out well, the opposite color scheme as the originals, which was red inside silver 

22B36F51-CCC5-4613-BE68-7A0AE411EFEA.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

Ok got a chance to play them this week and oddly shot well, tied for my best of the season, I also brought a putter that I bought the day before, goes to show you equipment don’t matter, just mindset, for me anyway. Here is how they turned out. Like I said don’t want them showroom quality, just nice looking, the ferrules turned out well, the opposite color scheme as the originals, which was red inside silver 

22B36F51-CCC5-4613-BE68-7A0AE411EFEA.jpeg

Just curious...why the "oddly shot well" comment? Unless you meant, for the first time w/clubs new to you?
btw....what putter? For grins, try to find a Hogan mallet putter w/"DBRC" on the sole - "Designed By Ray Cook" for Hogan, just a classic Ray Cook putter (not one of the newer ones since Ray Cook's death & now being made by totally different mfgrs).

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

Just curious...why the "oddly shot well" comment? Unless you meant, for the first time w/clubs new to you?
btw....what putter? For grins, try to find a Hogan mallet putter w/"DBRC" on the sole - "Designed By Ray Cook" for Hogan, just a classic Ray Cook putter (not one of the newer ones since Ray Cook's death & now being made by totally different mfgrs).

Yes because first time swinging them period, which makes me a little nervous I like to practice some with clubs before I try to score with them, Sundays I take scoring seriously and sadly with life been so hectic, that is the only round per week I am getting for a while

i did not have any expectations and let things fly and things turned out 

I would like to find that, I just love the classic shape of the old Ray Cooks

my only complaint so far if the lower traj, than I am used to

the putter I got at a great deal that’s why I picked it up looks brand new and very much my style

2AEA5A65-FC0E-4DA6-B27F-D81A570DDF9D.jpeg

14CF96E4-1E0E-4073-BD03-6DD0E3EFDEF2.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Yes because first time swinging them period, which makes me a little nervous I like to practice some with clubs before I try to score with them, Sundays I take scoring seriously and sadly with life been so hectic, that is the only round per week I am getting for a while

i did not have any expectations and let things fly and things turned out 

I would like to find that, I just love the classic shape of the old Ray Cooks

my only complaint so far if the lower traj, than I am used to

the putter I got at a great deal that’s why I picked it up looks brand new and very much my style

2AEA5A65-FC0E-4DA6-B27F-D81A570DDF9D.jpeg

14CF96E4-1E0E-4073-BD03-6DD0E3EFDEF2.jpeg

interesting putter...kinda sorta reminds me of the Ping Anser putter, different in some aspects but basically the Anser (this coming from a guy/duffer who still uses his original putter from 64years ago)...
I enjoy the Ray Cook putters, have many of them (not an unusual find in the San Antonio TX area or Texas for that matter)...I helped an old club Pro in his shop, Odel knew Ray Cook & after his death bought most of what was in the shop from his widow....& much later, as Odel closed his business, I bought what he had left...interesting to see what Ray Cook was expermenting with....included was a complete set of Affluent iron heads that I shafted & gripped.....
Enjoy your irons & putter....I don't usually keep score myself, my object is to put the ball into the hole....more fun that way - to play vs the course & not worry about scoring....just love of the game

Just now, bcstones said:

interesting putter...kinda sorta reminds me of the Ping Anser putter, different in some aspects but basically the Anser (this coming from a guy/duffer who still uses his original putter from 64years ago)...
I enjoy the Ray Cook putters, have many of them (not an unusual find in the San Antonio TX area or Texas for that matter)...I helped an old club Pro in his shop, Odel knew Ray Cook & after his death bought most of what was in the shop from his widow....& much later, as Odel closed his business, I bought what he had left...interesting to see what Ray Cook was expermenting with....included was a complete set of Affluent iron heads that I shafted & gripped.....
Enjoy your irons & putter....I don't usually keep score myself, my object is to put the ball into the hole....more fun that way - to play vs the course & not worry about scoring....just love of the game

I force myself once a week to have a "real" round and count everything, primarily because I gamble that day and want to keep track of how I am doing that way

• Like 1