At what point is playing blades an advantage?

Douglsss

This discussion takes me back to when I used to ‘have to’ play blades, many years ago, pre launch monitors and the tech we now take for granted. I was playing a couple of my friends and one of them, who is a club pro, was using old Mizuno forged cavities. 

It irritated him that I might be playing clubs because they ‘looked good in the bag’, so he asked why I still tried to use them. I said because I hit it too high, got too much spin, etc, etc. 

He stopped, put his bag down exasperatedly, and gave me a few quick tips which brought my ball flight way down and produced a much better trajectory. We stuck a few balls down in the semi and I hit them with his 5 iron and it was a lightbulb moment. Bought a set of Callaway just after.

Many of us (not all) would get far better results from some lessons and putting something a bit more forgiving in the bag. All depends whether you’d rather have nice equipment or nice scores, and there’s nothing wrong with either way. I’m a hacker now so I might just buy blades for fun!

• Like 3

I play my old blades, they’re from the 80s, with some great success. I’ve also had good rounds with SGI. I currently have new Cobras in  the corner of the garage but I’m bagging the ole trusty blades. “FOR ME”, it’s a few different things as to why I play the blades. 
1. Directional miss

2. Confidence in the club

3. Turf interaction 

4.Focus on the strike more 

5. Directional miss is more manageable and I’ve got total confidence in the irons. 

6. I downright know what I’ll get out of each iron when I address the golf ball.

7. FOR ME, they just flat out work.

I play with a group of retired guys regularly 3 days a week and several, one whom owned a local golf shop for years, says I hit the ole blades better than anything they’ve seen me play. Somewhat of a mystery but why fight it if it’s working! I’ve played numerous sets and spent thousands of dollars to always put the old trusty blades back in the bag. They’re W/S FG17s in case you’re wondering. Love them. I don’t play sanctioned competition golf but if I did, I hunt for a clubhead with very similar characteristics as my 17s. To each his own as the old saying goes. It’s an argument that’ll never be win or settled I know, as each players mind and game will vary. Yes,  I like to look at the WITB photos weekly on here but could really care less what so and so is playing. It’s likely IF you see something you like it’s unobtainable to the public anyways. Wanna see someone that’s playing what works, watch the video of Scott Stallings explain his iron set. Now if I really cared what so and do was playing, I’d focus on the Seniors because they’re playing what actually works. Not the latest and greatest, although some do here and there. Have a great day gents and hit ‘em straight! 

Edited by boggyman

26 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

Blades become an advantage when a player has a tighter dispersion with them when compared to other club designs. 

I’m not sure just how many people would have that result. As soon as you mishit a blade, even slightly, it ruins your dispersion pattern. Even if the ‘hot spot’ was a thing, I’d wager most people on this board would have a tighter dispersion pattern with a hollow iron than a blade. 

When people accepted that, but told me blades would allow them to work the ball better, they invariably couldn’t work it with any level of consistency with any type/design of club. When they tried to work it their strike quality declined.

I met a few guys who could work it well - elite amateurs, Walker Cup players - but they all wanted cavities. One of the Walker Cup guys played a round with Monty and said that he’d personally overestimated how important working the ball was as Monty just played a 3-yard fade with every shot, into every hole, while he was trying to do all sorts. He was off +4 and Monty beat him by 7 😄

Edited by Wayside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't feel they give me an advantage. I like the feedback I get, good and bad so I know what I did right or wrong. Are my scores better or worse playing blades? No idea, but I certainly enjoy it more and isn't that the point of playing? 

My brief time playing the Takomo 101's taught me that.

• Like 2

PXG 0211 with Hzrdus Black RDX 60

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

21 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I guess i don't really disagree with anything you are saying, i just don't know if that is where these myths come from. Maybe it is. The stories always seem so implausable

But sure, if you pick clubs that aren't really optimal you can get exaggerated and inconsistent results. A great example of this might be the old BiMatrix shafts that guys like Bubba used but were borderline unplayable for an average person. If you struck it perfect on the nut with all of your gusto, you could get it out there but most shots would be wounded ducks that didn't get enough carry.

Picking irons that don't spin enough isn't a good idea for a number of reasons. I think any good player could think right now of a time they hit a ball 20yds longer out of the rough because there was a grass behind the ball etc. Likely the ball bounced like it was on a tarmac when it landed

I've just never thought of this as issues with the club. It's just launch conditions that players need to be aware of that can happen.

I also think if you really struggle to a specific clubhead, shafts can help as much as a new clubhead. And if you can't spin an SGI enough even with a spinny shaft--Golf might just always be tough for that person unfortunately

I am in agreement with you that it is not the clubs and you are completely right it's the launch conditions. IMO it's generally an element of a bad fitting, a bit of ego, or a swing with a wide range in speed, potentially all 3 in some instances. 

Throw in an extra 5mph swing speed with the wrong strike with a club that already doesn't spin enough and bad things are going to happen. Down wind it's like adding steroids. On top of that add a bit of obliviousness and you get the comment  of " I hit my wedge 180 on the fly". 

At that point you and I would probably think something is wrong and a change of equipment is needed as that is completely pointless.  

Again, generally though, I think it is really mostly an issue for the lower spin players and not something high spin people experience, that's a different animal. All the marketing is about low spin though these days. 

Sim 2 Max 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 15 - Accra Tour Z5 75X
Ping G425 22 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85X

Titleist 620 - 4-pw Modus 125X
Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S, 60M - Modus 125X
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1 X

21 hours ago, WristySwing said:

I I was coming out of rough and the ball was effectively tee'd up netting a very clean, zero resistance strike.

This is the definition of a flier in my book.  I've hit them with GI and blades.  Add in some grass between the ball to kill the spin and you've got a 15 yard flier.

I'm not sure playing blades are ever really an advantage - outside of the top players who prefer them.  Conversely, I haven't found a disadvantage since I switched back from GI irons to blades.  I very much prefer hitting my MP20s over my old Ping G series irons.  This in turn has me practicing far more.  I get an optimal ball flight out of my MB's and tolerate the punishment just fine.

I think these conversations always go off the deep end because playing blades is illogical and SGI irons make some feel inadequate.  Play with whatever suits you.  You can score well or poorly with any flavor of iron. 

Edited by MattC555
  • Like 4

G410 Plus Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Stealth 7W Ventus Black 6S - Titleist 915 4H Blue Board  - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 5-PW - Titleist SM9 50.12F 56.12D 60.10S - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

6 minutes ago, Wayside said:

I’m not sure just how many people would have that result. As soon as you mishit a blade, even slightly, it ruins your dispersion pattern. Even if the ‘hot spot’ was a thing, I’d wager most people on this board would have a tighter dispersion pattern with a hollow iron than a blade. 

When people accepted that, but told me blades would allow them to work the ball better, they invariably couldn’t work it with any level of consistency with any type/design of club. When they tried to work it their strike quality declined.

I met a few guys who could work it well - elite amateurs, Walker Cup players - but they all wanted cavities. One of the Walker Cup guys played a round with Monty and said that he’d personally overestimated how important working the ball was as Monty just played a 3-yard fade with every shot, into every hole, while he was trying to do all sorts. He was off +4 and Monty beat him by 7 😄

is your highest lofted club in your bag a cavity back or blade design?

9 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

is your highest lofted club in your bag a cavity back or blade design?

It’s a blade, and I can accept the smaller trade off with such a short club. If I could find a cavity LW I liked, I’d happily put it in the bag and have done in the past. Unfortunately there’s not as much choice as there is in irons. 

I presume there’s a reason for you asking? I said above and in other threads that I may buy blades myself as I’m not ‘against’ them, I’m just aware of their/my limitations. 

Edited by Wayside

I play blades. I probably shouldn't. But I dont care. I like them, and so far I have not seen that they "hurt" my score. 

• Like 4

Driver: 9* Stealth + Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x Z cord grip

7 Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X Z cord grip

4 -6 Mizuno MP5 Recoil Dart 105 F5

7-PW Mizuno pro 221 Recoil Dart 105 F5

Wedges - Mizuno T22 51* Recoil Dart 105 F5// Edel SMS 54 D grind. Edel SMS 60 T grind. Steelfiber CW125s shafts

Putter- Konos release, Fuji MC putter shaft / Betinardi Lamkin Jumbo Deep etched cord grip
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I've always found that MBs and Player's CBs basically do the same thing. The blade looks cooler. The dampening effect of the perimeter-weighting on a Player's CB offers an improved feel on mis-hits. 

There's no scoring advantage to either though. Maybe the marginally-wider sole of the CB (depending on model of course) might help keep a few diggers out of the ground a little better. 

The reason these threads are long is that everyone has a different answer...which proves my point. There's no proof blades make you more accurate or that CBs make you more consistent. 

The only difference is in how a perimeter-weighted club resonates / feels and whether a player values the look, feel and prestige of using a blade, which in past decades has been a mark of quality, both in the player and in the club. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

SIM (10.5o) (Diamana Blueboard)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

26 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

This is the definition of a flier in my book.  I've hit them with GI and blades.  Add in some grass between the ball to kill the spin and you've got a 15 yard flier.

I'm not sure playing blades are ever really an advantage - outside of the top players who prefer them.  Conversely, I haven't found a disadvantage since I switched back from GI irons to blades.  I very much prefer hitting my MP20s over my old Ping G series irons.  This in turn has me practicing far more.  I get an optimal ball flight out of my MB's and tolerate the punishment just fine.

I think these conversations always go off the deep end because playing blades is illogical and SGI irons make some feel inadequate.  Play with whatever suits you.  You can score well or poorly with any flavor of iron. 

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head 100%! Plain and simple truth. 

On 9/10/2022 at 7:26 PM, Asiangolfer1995 said:

It's mostly personal preference at this point, but for most of the blade users I've played with they want their mishits coming up short of target instead of flying 3-5 yards longer so they know what a true 'miss' feels like so they can work on it in practice to hit the center more.

dont want to feel mishits for leaving short, I want to leave it short only for a miss, blades leave things short and on line perfect for the courses I play, other bigger iron misses are directional which get me in trouble, short doesnt, wide right or left does

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, Douglsss said:

Hypothetically speaking

All things being equal - loft, lie, etc - If I have a level of ballstriking to where playing blades vs player distance vs GI irons clubs each have similar average distances, why wouldn’t you play blades?

IMO - easier to work multiple trajectories, easier to remove spin, better consistency( no hot faces ). 

Another argument could be made that in this scenario - what are you losing in the scoring clubs, say 8i - pw, by not using a bladed club?

To answer your actual question, one needs to identify where blades are different from other clubs. 

One area blades are definitely unique is that they always have the most narrow sole. For some players, especially those with a lot of speed and with a sweeping action, the narrow sole slices nicely through that top layer of grass and really allows a player to feel they're striking the ball more precisely than a club they feel has to be smashed into the earth aggressively to get the CG effectively behind/under the ball. To some players, it's just better to have a small club that doesn't urge you to smash downward and steepen the AoA. 

That's the practical difference. There are however, a couple other features people like. And these shouldn't be discounted.

Do they look better? To many golfers, this is a serious benefit and a differentiating feature. If you can play any iron competently, why not play the one that looks the sexiest? 

Do they feel better? While Player's CBs have basically caught up in feeling soft and pure on good strikes, there's no debating that a purely-struck blade is the standard by which all clubs are judged. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

SIM (10.5o) (Diamana Blueboard)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

16 minutes ago, Wayside said:

It’s a blade, and I can accept the smaller trade off with such a short club. If I could find a cavity LW I liked, I’d happily put it in the bag and have done in the past. Unfortunately there’s not as much choice as there is in irons. 

I presume there’s a reason for you asking? I said above and in other threads that I may buy blades myself as I’m not ‘against’ them, I’m just aware of their/my limitations. 

I was asking because I don’t think a lot of people realize how popular blades are once you get above 50°. I can’t think of anyone on the PGA Tour or LIV Tour that plays a hollow design or cavity back design once they get over 50°. Retail sales would suggest the same. The most sold style of club design once you get over 50° is a blade. 

If cavity back or hollow club designs were unequivocally better, it would also be true for higher lofted clubs. So why is a blade design so popular for clubs with 50° of loft or more? There must be some advantage. And ultimately that’s the answer to the OPs question. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

I was asking because I don’t think a lot of people realize how popular blades are once you get above 50°. I can’t think of anyone on the PGA Tour or LIV Tour that plays a hollow design or cavity back design once they get over 50°. Retail sales would suggest the same. The most sold style of club design once you get over 50° is a blade. 

If cavity back or hollow club designs were unequivocally better, it would also be true for higher lofted clubs. So why is a blade design so popular for clubs with 50° of loft or more? There must be some advantage. And ultimately that’s the answer to the OPs question. 

You didn't look very hard then.  Almost every Ping Tour Staffer using the Glide 4.0 to at least the SW, which is a hollow-design, filled cavity.  Even Oosthuizen and Finau, who are mega traditional in their irons use these over the "blade" Glide Pro.  https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour

• Like 2

I am on the quest for the clubs I hit the best, feel and looks be darned.

These below have my attention at the moment.

SIM - Rogue Silver 130

Speedzone Tour Big - Arcane

Rogue Sub Zero - Thump 

0211DC 5-PW - Elevate Tour

SM8 50/F, 54/D, 58/M - i123

Bettinardi Hive Custom

18 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

If cavity back or hollow club designs were unequivocally better, it would also be true for higher lofted clubs. So why is a blade design so popular for clubs with 50° of loft or more? There must be some advantage.

You mean wedges. Call them wedges. Players who do use them, not all do as @WristySwing just pointed out, want exact yardages with them. Wedge shots tend to be more controlled, easier swings, therefore strike isn't likely to suffer and they're going to generate more spin and hit the exact distance needed on the shot.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS3 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

Titleist 818 H2 3H 20* - Tour AD-DI 85S

Wilson/Staff CB 4-GW - TT S300

Vokey SM8 56* - X100

W/S 8802 Milled

On 9/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, MtlJeff said:

40yd fliers are not real. I'm sorry but they are not real.

This thread is silly

I'd add the clarification that 40 yard fliers *caused by your choice of gear* aren't real. 

Moisture/dryness, the condition of your lie, the quality of contact and the direction of the wind can all be factors, but I'm betting that any 40 yard flier with a "hot" iron would have been a 35 yard flyer with a traditional iron. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS 9.0/Tensei Blue 65R

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon ZU85 5

Srixon Z765 6-PW w/ Steelfiber FC115

Srixon 785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54/10 and 58/6

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

24 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

I get what you mean, but I took it that the discussion was more about sets/irons in particular. 

Also, the disadvantages to blades are a lot less pronounced when you get to wedges due to more loft, shorter shafts, easier swings. The advantages outweigh that for many. 

There’s in no unequivocally better club for anyone, they all have trade-offs. 

Edited by Wayside
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:59 PM, OnTheBag said:

I've played blades for over 50 years and doubt there is very much advantage in today's equipment, with one exception.  If you pick the ball, the thin sole and lower sweet spot are advantageous.  As someone who struggles to trap and compress, I often can't hit the sweet spot on cavity backs or larger headed irons.  MB's traditionally have a lower spot that is easier for me to connect with.  

Aside from that, maybe some minute advantages in shot shaping, but that would be only in the hands of the greatest ball strikers.  

Yep I am an old school trap and compress player too. Modern CBs with the bounce rounded soles on normal ground I have a tendency to bounce blade one. I even take divots with fairway woods to some extent. To be completely fair even in the old days I could bounce blade a Wilson X-31 or a Hogan Radial too. Lately for me it has been hell because we have had so much rain here and it is so wet so a digger like me hits a lot of pop up fat shots

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock 65 R Pured and Tuned

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

9W TM V-Steel 24* TM MAS Stiff 

Irons  4 thru 9 Mac Nicklaus Muirfields TT Black label R

SW 50* bent to 51* Vokey SM-4 stock shaft

LW  58* Vokey SM-5 L grind stock shaft

Putter--- 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Bag --- Old Jones Classic Non stand

On 9/10/2022 at 7:40 PM, chisag said:

... MB threads here are like playing Whack A Mole. As soon as you smack one down another appears. There is a reason most of the best players on the planet are using Players Irons. Not GI/Distance/MB's but an iron that gives them the benefits of an MB when hitting the center and just enough added forgiveness when they miss a little. But many here just love the idea of playing MB's and nothing wrong with that. 

Yep you are correct on two fronts--- Yep darn near every week it popps up sorta like:deadhorse: and some of us like playing MBs and like you said there is absolutely nothing wrong with which ever way one goes

• Like 3

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock 65 R Pured and Tuned

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

9W TM V-Steel 24* TM MAS Stiff 

Irons  4 thru 9 Mac Nicklaus Muirfields TT Black label R

SW 50* bent to 51* Vokey SM-4 stock shaft

LW  58* Vokey SM-5 L grind stock shaft

Putter--- 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Bag --- Old Jones Classic Non stand

34 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

You didn't look very hard then.  Almost every Ping Tour Staffer using the Glide 4.0 to at least the SW, which is a hollow-design, filled cavity.  Even Oosthuizen and Finau, who are mega traditional in their irons use these over the "blade" Glide Pro.  https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour

Thanks. I knew there had to be a a couple. Should’ve known it would be ping staffers. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

You mean wedges. Call them wedges. Players who do use them, not all do as @WristySwing just pointed out, want exact yardages with them. Wedge shots tend to be more controlled, easier swings, therefore strike isn't likely to suffer and they're going to generate more spin and hit the exact distance needed on the shot.

Great answer. That sounds like the advantage of a blade design. 

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Lately for me it has been hell because we have had so much rain here and it is so wet so a digger like me hits a lot of pop up fat shots

We had 2 really wet summers in a row when I got into playing 3x a week as a teen, so I'm now very much a sweeper of the ball. I still hate fat soled clubs to this day.

1 hour ago, BombinJim said:

When your swing characteristics benefit from heel biased sweet spot, thinner sole, weaker lofts, and the smaller/less offset club appeals to your eye at address. Also if you have a high swing speed and deloft the club significantly. Also if you want to count on your mishits going short for your course management strategy.

This is my strategy. I am nowhere near the handicap to be playing player CB irons, but I do like some shot shaping and a predictable miss of being short.

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 9* - Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS3 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

Titleist 818 H2 3H 20* - Tour AD-DI 85S

Wilson/Staff CB 4-GW - TT S300

Vokey SM8 56* - X100

W/S 8802 Milled

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

Players who benefit from blades seem to be the same ones who don't always try to hit their irons for maximum distance. 

Tons of players will stretch a nine iron to 150 just because they can. Another kind of player would rather hit a controlled seven iron because it's an easier and more controllable shot. 

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Committing to less-forgiving irons can help you play smarter. Playing smart makes less-forgiving irons less intimidating. 

One of my favorite clubs is my Srixon Z785 gap wedge which is a muscle-back design. I think the reason I hit so many good shots with it is because rarely try to hit it for maximum distance. 

Great observation that I had never thought of, but is very true.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Llortamaisey said:

Bingo. And the fact its been mentioned that ping makes a hollow wedge and even some ping staffers use it means zilch. When it comes to wedges, club design means nearly nothing, blade, cb, hollow…. Because the ball is not compressing, loft has such a dominant role. Even further most hollow sets or even cbs, basically begin to resemble a blade at about a 8 or 9 iron. From long irons to about 7 iron or 35* of loft is where you start to see some differences from club design.

3 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I've always found that MBs and Player's CBs basically do the same thing. The blade looks cooler. The dampening effect of the perimeter-weighting on a Player's CB offers an improved feel on mis-hits. 

There's no scoring advantage to either though. Maybe the marginally-wider sole of the CB (depending on model of course) might help keep a few diggers out of the ground a little better. 

The reason these threads are long is that everyone has a different answer...which proves my point. There's no proof blades make you more accurate or that CBs make you more consistent. 

The only difference is in how a perimeter-weighted club resonates / feels and whether a player values the look, feel and prestige of using a blade, which in past decades has been a mark of quality, both in the player and in the club. 

Yes. This discussion is so hard because there are so many nuances with club design. You can make a blade that has a relatively large blade length and face area, with low cog. You can also make a cb that is super compact and have a much higher cog.