Got to hit the Titleist TSR driver

golfinbrad

I am still gaming the Cobra Radspeed with Tensei Raw white shaft.  Solid results but always looking.  Went to a fitting a couple weeks ago and the Rogue Max LS was best overall.  Only negative was it seemed a little left bias.  I hit a natural draw, so not sure I like misses further left.  Great feel, looks and numbers.  Before dropping that kind of money I wanted to be sure.  So went today to hit the G425 LS and the Titleist TSi2 or 3 at another location. The G425 was disappointing.  I asked the fitter for the TSi3.  He said well we just got the TSR's in.  You want to try that?  Heck ya!!!!  He took the TSr2 out of the plastic.  Had the new HZRDUS black (the shinny one that popped up in other threads) 6.5 shaft.  WOW!!! What a combo.  The numbers between the Max LS and TSr2 were very close.  Dispersion was tighter and 2 longest were with the Titleist.  However, forgiveness and consistent distance were the Callaway.  New Titleist drivers are $599.00.  Both are big numbers for me.  Have to make a decision and wait for a deal I guess.  Thinking the Max LS triple diamond might help with the left bias.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

I am still gaming the Cobra Radspeed with Tensei Raw white shaft.  Solid results but always looking.  Went to a fitting a couple weeks ago and the Rogue Max LS was best overall.  Only negative was it seemed a little left bias.  I hit a natural draw, so not sure I like misses further left.  Great feel, looks and numbers.  Before dropping that kind of money I wanted to be sure.  So went today to hit the G425 LS and the Titleist TSi2 or 3 at another location. The G425 was disappointing.  I asked the fitter for the TSi3.  He said well we just got the TSR's in.  You want to try that?  Heck ya!!!!  He took the TSr2 out of the plastic.  Had the new HZRDUS black (the shinny one that popped up in other threads) 6.5 shaft.  WOW!!! What a combo.  The numbers between the Max LS and TSr2 were very close.  Dispersion was tighter and 2 longest were with the Titleist.  However, forgiveness and consistent distance were the Callaway.  New Titleist drivers are $599.00.  Both are big numbers for me.  Have to make a decision and wait for a deal I guess.  Thinking the Max LS triple diamond might help with the left bias.

Might be worth checking out Callaway Pre-owned. The Rogue ST products just popped on there over the last few days, so you should be able to snag a great price.

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | testing shafts

3 Wood: Ping G425 Max | Alta CB 65X

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Evenflow Riptide 70/6.5

7 Wood: Ping G425 Max | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X

Irons: Srixon ZX4 5 iron, ZX5 6-7, ZX7 8-PW | Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50/10S, 54/12W, 60/8Z | Nippon Modus 130S

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6

1 minute ago, eric61 said:

Might be worth checking out Callaway Pre-owned. The Rogue ST products just popped on there over the last few days, so you should be able to snag a great price.

Yep.  I'm watching them as well.  Is the only difference between the MAX LS and MAX LS TD, the TD is more neutral?  If so, might go that option. 

Just now, golfinbrad said:

Yep.  I'm watching them as well.  Is the only difference between the MAX LS and MAX LS TD, the TD is more neutral?  If so, might go that option. 

TD is slightly smaller in terms of overall head size and length front to back. I hit it a few times and it’s a bomber — if you’re trying to play a fade it’s a little easier than the Max LS. I’d say the Max LS is slightly more forgiving, which for me = slightly longer on average even if the best drives with the TD go a little farther. I wouldn’t characterize any of the differences as being really dramatic.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | testing shafts

3 Wood: Ping G425 Max | Alta CB 65X

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Evenflow Riptide 70/6.5

7 Wood: Ping G425 Max | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X

Irons: Srixon ZX4 5 iron, ZX5 6-7, ZX7 8-PW | Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50/10S, 54/12W, 60/8Z | Nippon Modus 130S

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6

2 minutes ago, eric61 said:

TD is slightly smaller in terms of overall head size and length front to back. I hit it a few times and it’s a bomber — if you’re trying to play a fade it’s a little easier than the Max LS. I’d say the Max LS is slightly more forgiving, which for me = slightly longer on average even if the best drives with the TD go a little farther. I wouldn’t characterize any of the differences as being really dramatic.

Not sure I want a fade.  Might just need a slight adjustment so my draw doesn't become a fade.  Like smaller profile but don't like shorter and less forgiving. Good info

2 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Most stunning driver ever made by Titleist and longer than predessor by 1 yard.  

Hit it the other day.  It was good.....but truth be told, I couldn't tell much difference between Tsi and the Tsr and I had both heads with me.  Any improvement (for me) was hardly noticeable.  Shape is better, I think?

YMMV

• Like 1

Got to hit TSR 2 and 3 today. With 1K black 65x at 45.5 Gamer is Epic Speed Max LS with rdx black 6.5 70g at 44 3/8. Both 9*

I was able to swing the TSR about 3-5mph faster (thinking shaft and profile).

TSR 2 is what impressed. I was regularly hitting 170 ball speed… which is rare for me. I hit one way in the heel 165 ball speed…. Out the toe 167 ball speed…. Like I was head scratching. 

it made my wallet scared. 

Edited by jsamis
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, jsamis said:

Got to hit TSR 2 and 3 today. With 1K black 65x at 45.5 Gamer is Epic Speed Max LS with rdx black 6.5 70g at 44 3/8. Both 9*

I was able to swing the TSR about 3-5mph faster (thinking shaft and profile).

TSR 2 is what impressed. I was regularly hitting 170 ball speed… which is rare for me. I hit one way in the heel 165 ball speed…. Out the toe 167 ball speed…. Like I was head scratching. 

it made my wallet scared. 

In my experience Titleist has always been sold but never a distance driver.  Not saying short. Just more consistent and traditional.  This is why I made the post.  The numbers changes my perception.

26 minutes ago, realitycheck said:

Hit it the other day.  It was good.....but truth be told, I couldn't tell much difference between Tsi and the Tsr and I had both heads with me.  Any improvement (for me) was hardly noticeable.  Shape is better, I think?

YMMV

Realistically, you're unlikely to get much of a performance gain from 1 generation to the next, regardless of manufacturer. It's like an iPhone--sure you could upgrade every year if you've got $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, but realistically, most people wait 2 or 3 generations. Same philosophy applies to drivers.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

I had a great fitting session getting set up for the new TSR driver. I have always been a fan of the 2 heads but tried the 2 and 3. Numbers were almost identical but felt the 2 gave me more confidence at address. The Titleist fitter really did a great job of finding the right shaft for me, plenty of try this and come back to later to make sure it works as well as it did before. Finished combo was the TSR2 and the Tour AD IZ shaft. Super solid and this shaft just kept my misses, toe side straighter 

• Like 3

Driver = Titleist TSR2 Tour AD IZ Stiff 

Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Plus 18* Smoke Red RDX 6.0
Irons = 4 iron Callaway TCB DG S300

5-PW Callaway Apex MB 2021 DG S300
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 51*

Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Nike SV Tour 60*

Putter = Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS or Taylormade Tour Response Stripe 

4 hours ago, realitycheck said:

YMMV

Peter Finch on YouTube did an extensive test of the TS3 TSI3 and TSR3. 2 yds difference between the 3 of them. 1yd between the i3 and R3.  He hits really far so if anyone is going to find significant differences is him. Same old same old.  Every year oems tout high launch low spin higher ball speeds etc.  At the end of the day no discernible difference.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 MAX 9* LAGP Trono 65 X
Ping G425 MAX 17.5 5 Wood
Ping G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

Ping G425 4,5&6 Hybrid Tensei Blue TX
Ping i525 7-PW Project X 6.0 IO
Ping Glide 3.0  50 56 60 ZZ115

Ping Anser

Agreed. I tried the TSR4 and 3 today and while I loved the look of the TSR4 in actual ball speed wise it was on par with my gamer ltdx ls no discernible jump either way when both struck well. 

I was pleasantly surprised with the stripped down 1k black. For a stock offering shaft it performed pretty well. I’ll give Titleist that cause I never do but their stock shafts offering is tops of out the big OEMS. Also I currently game the 1k orange 60 tx so I have a good apples to apples comparison 

I sold a TSR3 yesterday.  Well, I say sold loosely because I didn't agree with the sale.  Customer had a Ping driver that gave them more ball speed and they carried an extra 3-4 yards.  Customer bought the TSR anyways because they didn't like the shape of the Ping and preferred the smaller look at address of the TSR3.  I told them I think they should stay with what they have but they went ahead anyways.  I gave it a couple whacks after they left and I agree with the others.  It is another Titleist driver, it's a predictable shape, with a predictable feel, and predictable technology.  I always feel like Titleist is chasing.  They are just now touting VFT tech and aerodynamics in a driver?  Callaway has had that for almost 20 years with VFT, Ping introduced the Vortec almost 10 years ago.  I really feel like they need to throw the blueprints away and start fresh to really make something exciting.  They have had only incremental improvements in tech since the 910 release, IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I am on the quest for the clubs I hit the best, feel and looks be darned.

These below have my attention at the moment.

SIM - Rogue Silver 130

Speedzone Tour Big - Arcane

Rogue Sub Zero - Thump 

0211DC 5-PW - Elevate Tour

SM8 50/F, 54/D, 58/M - i123

Bettinardi Hive Custom

15 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Curious did you try the LTDx or LTDx ls?  It beat out the Rogue for me.  

4 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

Curious did you try the LTDx or LTDx ls?  It beat out the Rogue for me.  

I did.  The numbers with my Radspeed and LTDx LS were almost identical in terms of distance.  My SS was higher with Radspeed.  Both using same shaft.  Not sure if it was comfort or what.  

• Like 1

The past 10-12 years, I hit every driver, I’ve ever owned/game’d - within 3-4 yards of each other. Just with slight flight characteristics. 
So I’ll just keep looking for that 15+ yard bump 5-600 dollars at a time until I start playing backgammon down at the retirement center on Wednesday’s. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, realitycheck said:

YMMV

I hit it up here in Canada a couple weeks ago and other than the shape of the toe on the tsi2 and tsr  2 the numbers were about the same. I do agree the shape is better but not $800 + cdn better. 

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Thanks 1

TITLEIST TSR3/4 DRIVER, 9*/8*, Ventus TR Black/Blue/Red, 6x

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS, #3, 16.5*, Accra '22 TZSix 75 M5; #5, 17.50*, Kailia White 70TX; #7, 21* Kaili White 80TX; #4 HY 22* Ventus Black Velocore HB 10TX

PXG GEN5 0311X Irons, Black Label Elite;   18* Accra '22 TZFive, 95HY M5 // 22*, Accra '22 TZFive, 105DI M5

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG GEN5 0311T Irons, Black Label Elite, 5 - 7; GEN4 0311T IronsXtreme Dark ,  8 - GW // LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10,  62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 hours ago, flubberlange said:

I currently game the Ping G425 Max with Ventus Blue shaft. It’s the only Ping club in my bag with pretty much everything else a Titleist club. Would love to see if I can get any significant improvement in dispersion and distance with any of the TSR driver heads.

I have not hit the new R’s. However I play a G425 Max with a Ventus blue TR and frankly will not even consider hitting another driver until the G430 comes out. Ping lapped everything for me compared to others. And I had a 14 club Titleist bag ever since I was I was 17 lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yellow Jacket said:

Realistically, you're unlikely to get much of a performance gain from 1 generation to the next, regardless of manufacturer. It's like an iPhone--sure you could upgrade every year if you've got $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, but realistically, most people wait 2 or 3 generations. Same philosophy applies to drivers.

I have learned that the hard way and am no longer chasing an extra yard or two.  While the new Titleist's are enticing I am going to remain faithful to my Rogue ST MAX LS combo