Wilson Staff Dynapwr and Dynapwr Carbon Drivers spotted on USGA Conforming List

mrmikeac

45 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

Wonder why Wilson even bothers with drivers, hybrids and woods.  To many heavy hitters to contend with, especially when the price point is similar.  Their irons have always been their forte.  You don't see nearly has many Wilson irons as back in the day, but there are still around and get high praise.  Can't say I've seen any gaming their woods (not talking tour players) in a long time.

Still the most majors by a single OEM haha

I totally agree though, honestly think they could establish themselves as an American "Miura" if they just specialize in irons and wedges and really make a specialty product for the best kinds of players. Could totally see them doing some marketing material w/ some of their old major winners

• Like 4

Driver: PING G425 LST 9° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 6.5 (45.25", tipped 1")

3 Wood: Titleist TS3 15° (@ 15°, D3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70 6.5 (42.5", tipped 0.5")

3 Iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 18° w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black Hybrid 100 6.5 (40.5", tipped 0.5")

Irons: Titleist T100 2019 (4-PW) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 X100 Tour Issue

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50°-12F, 56° @ 55°-14F, 60°-04L) w/ KBS Tour Wedge Custom Series S

Putter: PING Anser 3 (36")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize, PING PP58

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag: Sun Mountain 2023 2.5+

I think these look cool. If they have the DNA of the labs drivers then I think they ll be a great performer. If they come in cheaper and get good YouTube reviews then I reckon they will sell. The price point will be the thing. Here in the UK bills are skyrocketing and there is a cost of living crisis. People just don’t have the money to Chuck around

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CKaneb said:

I totally agree though, honestly think they could establish themselves as an American "Miura" if they just specialize in irons and wedges and really make a specialty product for the best kinds of players. Could totally see them doing some marketing material w/ some of their old major winners

Spot on by both of you. Wilson should quit pretending in the wood category and just focus on crushing their irons and wedges. I haven't seen a "top of the line" Wilson driver in a bag down here in ever. 

It seems like a no-brainer to quit taking the monetary losses of R&D and advertising to churn out drivers that no one plays. Take that cash and sign a few quality tour guys to iron and bag deals and promote the heck out of it. 

• Like 2

Driver - TaylorMade Sim Max 9*, 45", Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution VI

Mini-Driver - TaylorMade Sim Max (12* @ 13.5*), 43.75", Project X Hzrdus Black 75 6.0

Fairway Wood - Ping G410, 17.5*, Project X Hzrdus Black 75 6.0

Irons- Srixon ZU85 3, Aerotech i110CW

Srixon ZU85 4, Project X 6.0

Srixon Z785 5-PW, Project X 6.0

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore, 52*-58*, DG Tour Issue Spinner

Putter – L.A.B. Golf Mezz 1 with LA Golf P135

Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

5 minutes ago, JDTex said:

Spot on by both of you. Wilson should quit pretending in the wood category and just focus on crushing their irons and wedges. I haven't seen a "top of the line" Wilson driver in a bag down here in ever. 

It seems like a no-brainer to quit taking the monetary losses of R&D and advertising to churn out drivers that no one plays. Take that cash and sign a few quality tour guys to iron and bag deals and promote the heck out of it. 

1 hour ago, golfinbrad said:

Wonder why Wilson even bothers with drivers, hybrids and woods.  To many heavy hitters to contend with, especially when the price point is similar.  Their irons have always been their forte.  You don't see nearly has many Wilson irons as back in the day, but there are still around and get high praise.  Can't say I've seen any gaming their woods (not talking tour players) in a long time.

Tour Edge seems to do okay with their woods - If Wilson made a model to compete in the low spin category and a model to compete in the forgiving category - I would think people would be willing to give them a look as long as their were a slightly cheaper price point.  If they release this driver and its $599, obviously the should not bother.  But if it is $349 or $399, and it competes with the Taylormade's and Titleists of the industry - I would think they would get some looks.  Would they make money at that price point?  Not sure.  I would guess the margins would be slim, but they gotta break in somehow.

That is how Cobra gained traction.  They made an excellent driver (f9) at a cheaper price point - and now they are doing incredibly well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vlade15 said:

Tour Edge seems to do okay with their woods - If Wilson made a model to compete in the low spin category and a model to compete in the forgiving category - I would think people would be willing to give them a look as long as their were a slightly cheaper price point.  If they release this driver and its $599, obviously the should not bother.  But if it is $349 or $399, and it competes with the Taylormade's and Titleists of the industry - I would think they would get some looks.  Would they make money at that price point?  Not sure.  I would guess the margins would be slim, but they gotta break in somehow.

That is how Cobra gained traction.  They made an excellent driver (f9) at a cheaper price point - and now they are doing incredibly well.

Actually Cobra was a subsidiary of Titleist back in the 80s.  They got on the radar when Greg Norman and Ian Baker Finch used them.  Then Titleist sold them to Puma.     

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Agreed.  I hit a few shots with a friend's new Staff Blades on Saturday and had some 1980s flashbacks.  Very, very nice.  Wilson still makes some of the best irons in the business but their business plan and marketing strategy leaves me scratching my head.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Agreed.  I hit a few shots with a friend's new Staff Blades on Saturday and had some 1980s flashbacks.  Very, very nice.  Wilson still makes some of the best irons in the business but their business plan and marketing strategy leaves me scratching my head.

For sure.  Several business decisions that were a bust staring with the Fat Shaft line back in the day. and more recently that reality show on The Golf Channel.  Stick to what you do well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

Actually Cobra was a subsidiary of Titleist back in the 80s.  They got on the radar when Greg Norman and Ian Baker Finch used them.  Then Titleist sold them to Puma.     

Well aware Cobra has existed for a long time.  They lost relevancy for their woods for a while, and the f9 brought them back into relevancy due to producing an incredible product at a cheaper price point.  Not saying that Wilson woods could get to Cobra's level - but if they follow that format (great driver, cheap price) there is no reason why they couldnt gather a small amount of marketshare.

The Wilson drivers all look like Dicks sporting goods clubs. Too much game improvement.

A prestigious brand like Wilson (or mizuno, macgregor etc) could make a much smaller, compact “players driver” with a deep face and carve out a nice niche. They aren’t going to win the arms race on technology so may as well lean in on looks and feel. 

• Like 2

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

8 hours ago, CKaneb said:

Can’t see this ever working tbh unless they did it under a completely different brand name. Even though their Wilson Staff line is top notch (at least the forged irons like you mention), the entry level type stuff they sell at Walmart has cheapened the brand.

(fwiw — I love Wilson and have gamed a handful of their stuff through the years, partially because the used stuff goes so cheap, so I’m not hating).

Edited by Ca3l
  • Like 1

I recently replaced my old TM RBZ 5W, and I put everything to the test under my fitter's eye.  I'm 58 and not gaining any speed, so I'm not saying my results would work for anyone else.  But Wilson's D9 beat everything tried, all heads w/ the Tensei Blue shaft.   Epic Max, Stealth, Cleveland XL Halo, Tour Edge E722, etc., etc.  I was shocked, but the data is the data.  First shot on course was from 186, pretty significantly uphill (I figured de facto 195-200 yd shot), didn't hit it perfect, but solid, and when we got there I was putting from 3 feet for birdie.  Sank that and I've been smiling about my purchase ever since.

Point being, I didn't anticipate liking the Wilson fairway wood the best,  but whatever head and shaft combo works best for you is what drives informed decision-making, regardless of the name on the sole plate. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jon Gee said:

They should lose that old school font Wilson logo, sorry, that looks like it belongs on a baseball mitt.

Came here to say this. That logo is terrible on a golf club. The "W/S" crest logo with the "Staff" branding would be a far better strategy than the baseball glove or basketball logo.

But like others have pointed out, why do they even bother cheapening their own brand with these walmart looking drivers? Even if it performs okay, it's not going to be any better than the major OEM offerings, they're ugly and you never see them in the wild. The Killer Whale was the last driver I saw played on the reg (plug that one into your Googler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Gu5ZRhRxo) and the INVEX was the last Wilson driver I actually ever saw on a course.

Edited by The Mad Bomber
Spelling

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist 917 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

1 hour ago, The Mad Bomber said:

But like others have pointed out, why do they even bother cheapening their own brand with these walmart looking drivers? 

I think it's a chicken/egg thing, if this was shown without the logos folks would say how clean it looks if they thought it was a bigger OEMs model. Trouble is Wilson have diluted their name so much with cheap products (which sell well) that it's tough to get anything right apart from a few sets of players' irons. Once they have to add tech they just don't have the looks or R&D budgets or know they can't sell at the top end if they could spend.

Yes, it would be neat if they just made Staff custom irons (remember when MacGregor offered things like different toe options and top line thickness options? that didn't last too long), but they'd have too offset that with a load of full sets in bricks and mortar stores, which would probably put off those looking for some serious gamers. They're damned either way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

That literally anyone under 50 years old has never heard of.  Hard to appeal to a new, younger audience when you're hanging on to ancient product names. 

I’m under 50 lol 

• Like 2

COBRA LTDX LS 9* MATRIX MARU RED 70 TX 
COBRA FLY Z + 14.5* EVENFLOW BLACK 75 X                                                                             WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                    

OICHI CUSTOM GROUND BLANKS 5-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                    CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

I saw colors pixs elsewhere. It looked as good as anything to me except new Titleist and Mizuno drivers. I was in a retail Wilson store in Chicago and noted they use the iconic Wilson font on everything. Brand has 3D capabilities but struggle to produce great woods but make killer ball bats.

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Taylor Made Hi Launch
Taylor Made  Hybrid

Cobra Speedzone Irons
W/S Bucktown

Cobra Snake bite 60&56

9 minutes ago, Steve o said:

I saw colors pixs elsewhere. It looked as good as anything to me except new Titleist and Mizuno drivers. I was in a retail Wilson store in Chicago and noted they use the iconic Wilson font on everything. Brand has 3D capabilities but struggle to produce great woods but make killer ball bats.

Wonder if they can take the bat technology and apply it to the face technology of the drivers to give them more pop?  🧐