2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Kevin Tway's new Wilson Dynapwr driver - 2022 Fortinet Championship

Looks awesome, my old man just picked up a Launch pad on clearance and he's loving it coming from a g410 he really didn't get along with. I had a Triton years ago I got on clearance mainly for the Rogue shaft but it was a fine performing head.... just didn't sound great. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

4 hours ago, chouls19 said:

If the performance is good why could not trust a Wilson driver? 

They don't have a history of top performing drivers in the last couple decades.  Performance would have to be great. Like I said.  If it performs and the price was right, then I would consider it.  Would need some buzz because I wouldn't have the opportunity to try it since they have no demo presence here.  No fitters in my area so that's just how it is.  If it's $600 I would rather buy something like a Titleist, Callaway, Ping, etc.  I have a history with all of those brands and would feel more comfortable going with a brand that has a history of performance when I am spending that kind of money.  

Edited by radiman

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

5 hours ago, chouls19 said:

If the performance is good why could not trust a Wilson driver? 

IDK if it's a question of that so much.  Drivers and woods/hybrids in general cost a lot more to make and engineer than irons and wedges.  Wilson golf is not a stand alone business.  It's part of conglomerate and is issued a budget and the majority of the budget (I believe) goes into irons and wedges, which they do very well.

The remainder they try and do the best they can w/the metalwoods.  As a consequence of that the results are very mixed.  The closest they've come in recent years is the C300 line, where (my opinion only of course) the FW's and hybrids were very, very good - well above average but I thought the driver sucked b*lls. 

They spent a good deal on the Cortex and while the show sucked the resulting product, while not class leading anywhere, more than held its own in overall performance with the crop of drivers that came out that year.  I played it for a good long while, but I didn't pay $499 for it either.

People like to be brand loyal.  It's easy to be brand loyal on metalwoods if you like TM, Callaway, PING, or Titleist or even Tour Edge Exotics now.  Why?  Because these companies (they are not the only ones) made the committment to investing in making sure their metalwoods offerings release-over-release are very high quality.  So while opinions will vary within the brand over quality release to release (SIM vs. SIM2 for example) the separators are minimal and the overall quality remains high.

Does Wilson golf have that committment?  They haven't shown it yet IMO.  And I'm a huge fan of that brand.  Even if this upcoming release shows very good performance, what's the committment to sustain it?  That's the question they have to answer.

Edited by the bishop
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

5 minutes ago, the bishop said:

IDK if it's a question of that so much.  Drivers and woods/hybrids in general cost a lot more to make and engineer than irons and wedges.  Wilson golf is not a stand alone business.  It's part of conglomerate and is issued a budget and the majority of the budget (I believe) goes into irons and wedges, which they do very well.

The remainder they try and do the best they can w/the metalwoods.  As a consequence of that the results are very mixed.  The closest they've come in recent years is the C300 line, where (my opinion only of course) the FW's and hybrids were very, very good - well above average but I thought the driver sucked b*lls. 

They spent a good deal on the Cortex and while the show sucked the resulting product, while not class leading anywhere, more than held its own in overall performance with the crop of drivers that came out that year.  I played it for a good long while, but I didn't pay $499 for it either.

People like to be brand loyal.  It's easy to be brand loyal on metalwoods if you like TM, Callaway, PING, or Titleist or even Tour Edge now.  Why?  Because these companies (they are not the only ones) made the committment to investing in making sure their metalwoods offerings release-over-release are very high quality.  So while opinions will vary whithin the brand over quality release to release (SIM vs. SIM2 for example) the separators are minimal and the overall quality remains high.

Does Wilson golf have that committment?  They haven't shown it yet IMO.  And I'm a huge fan of that brand.  Even if this upcoming release shows very good performance, what's the committment to sustain it?  That's the question they have to answer.

Haha, this is a well thought out reply that pretty much represents my thoughts.  I just wasn't able to articulate it haha.  This is exactly it.  

• Thanks 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

48 minutes ago, the bishop said:

People like to be brand loyal.  It's easy to be brand loyal on metalwoods if you like TM, Callaway, PING, or Titleist or even Tour Edge Exotics now.  Why?  Because these companies (they are not the only ones) made the committment to investing in making sure their metalwoods offerings release-over-release are very high quality.  So while opinions will vary within the brand over quality release to release (SIM vs. SIM2 for example) the separators are minimal and the overall quality remains high.

I suppose if you are brand loyal maybe this would matter.  I play what performs for me.  If that is a Titleist driver, I play that until I want/need a change.  Then I will pick something that performs for that time period.  Could be a Cobra.  Could be Tour Edge.  When I need a new driver I pick the one that performs.  If a Wilson driver performs, I would absolutely play that.  If they dont have a great driver the next time I need one...no big deal.  I will have plenty of options from the other OEMs.

If I need a driver and this one performs, I would play it.  Would not matter if I think they have another good driver coming out in the future.

But that being said, to each their own.

On 9/14/2022 at 12:02 AM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Anyone know why pros like a deeper or higher faced driver? I actually tend to like more normal or a touch shallower then what the pros seem to want. I noticed this with callaways triple diamond rogue st also. Just dont know why?

I don't know why some professionals may like a deeper faced driver, but the reason that I do has more to do with the profile at address that generally goes along with the deeper face.  If a driver head is at the max volume of 460cc, then the "taller" it is, the smaller it has to be in length and width.  I know there could be exceptions due to sole shapes and voids and whatever..........  I currently play a SIM Max D even though I don't necessarily need a draw biased driver.  It has a deeper face than the other SIM models and to me at least has a smaller profile at address.  I just turn the loft all the way down to take most of the closed face out of it.  I bought a NOS Cobra F7 a few years ago because it was still in the plastic and was marked down to $150.  I didn't swing it or really even look at it close before buying.  When I set it behind a ball for the first time I knew we weren't going to get along.  It has a shallow face and literally looks twice as big at address as my R11-S, SLDR S or SIM Max D.  From the pictures I have seen I think I would really like this new Wilson.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

I think you’ll be shocked by the new driver. Have a feeling it will be the F9 of 2023

See this is the buzz I am talking about haha.  You had a chance to hit it?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

3 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I think this would be the first time anyone has ever been shocked in a *good* way about a W/S driver 😆

Wilson Staff have improved massively in a relatively short space of time. I have a feeling this iteration of woods will be a bit of a game changer for them in that department 

20 minutes ago, chouls19 said:

Wilson Staff have improved massively in a relatively short space of time. I have a feeling this iteration of woods will be a bit of a game changer for them in that department 

Eh the driver side is debatable. The last W/S driver I had was the D7 which was not a good fit, way too light but that was for me personally. The D200 was far too light as well. We'll see if this new one gains any traction - I think price and shelf availability will have a big say in that. 

2 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Eh the driver side is debatable. The last W/S driver I had was the D7 which was not a good fit, way too light but that was for me personally. The D200 was far too light as well. We'll see if this new one gains any traction - I think price and shelf availability will have a big say in that. 

I suspect you might possibly see some tour usage

On 9/23/2022 at 11:47 AM, xkilgorextroutx said:

That would be great, but if no one can find it in a store to try (which has typically been an issue with all W/S clubs) or they come in at Stealth pricepoints, it's not going to move. 

I don't find this the issue it once was. At least in the South. I travel and go to golf stores sometimes just to kill time. Often not as much Wilson to choose from but almost always they have the major irons, Wedges, Woods and balls.

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

22 minutes ago, Steve o said:

I don't find this the issue it once was. At least in the South. I travel and go to golf stores sometimes just to kill time. Often not as much Wilson to choose from but almost always they have the major irons, Wedges, Woods and balls.

Different story up here in the northeast. I'm driving at least an hour+ to find W/S on the shelf someplace and it's usually Launchpads on display. Duos can be found all over the place, sure, but trying to find a club to demo is a PITA.