I lost my rangefinder... I'm a moron

Title really says it all.  Had the rangefinder for 2-3 seasons now.  A Callaway 300 which was great.  Slope, vibration, chirp...etc.  Used it all of the time and then the end of last year before the handful of cart riding tournaments I decided to get one of the magnetic straps on amazon for $10 to keep it handy.  Well, since then i have left it on 2 carts and had to go back to the course to get it.  3rd time was a charm as I grabbed it after the tournament last weekend and while getting my bag together, i stuck it to the basket on the cart and forgot it... AGAIN.  I called the course and nothing was turned in.  3rd time was a charm.  

Ordered a replacement cheap one on Amazon.  I know it wont be as quick as the Callaway but I guess it doesn't really make a difference as long as it works.  Wondering if anyone has any experience with these?  Minimal reviews but only at $40 when I bought it, I figured it was worth a shot.

836042131_finchleyrangefinder.jpg.9f3a3ac81f093de74103c9d9c6c3c906.jpg

Edited by mvhoffman

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

• mvhoffman changed the title to I lost my rangefinder... I'm a moron

I usually rely on my Garmin watch for distances and like that it is always attached to me so I can't lose it. This year I grabbed a Callaway 300 from a member here at a good price so I've been using it some as well. 

I've found that leaving the empty rangefinder case hanging from my bag is enough of a reminder for me not to leave it stuck to the cart, but I can see how it'd be easy to leave one behind. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

I've done the same - it's now my routine to put my RF away after my last shot on 18 - before I pull the putter out - I put my RF away

I'm a big fan of using little mental tricks like that. 

One of my frequent playing partners leaves his favorite wedge beside a green at least once a round. We're always telling him to leave it laying on the green or with the flagstick but he'll leave it laying in the rough on the side of the green opposite the cart path. Makes no sense. 

• Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I agree with Animalgolfs, I always put it back in the pouch on the last shot on 18, like most of us, I have left it in the cart before, I just got the Bushnell V5 Shift and it will hurt if I lose that one, I do have a V3 as well (for the last 7 years) don't have any issues at all with it, just time for an upgrade....back to the thread, just place it back in the pouch on your last shot on 18 and it will become routine...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Another trick could be to leave the storage pouch on the driver's seat of your car. Or even hook it to your car keys in your bag. Personally I leave it in the pouch in one of the cubbies of the cart  as I don't have a magnetic strip and I always double check the whole cart before leaving

I've only forgotten 1, ever. Had a nippon and always had it in the cart cubby hole during play. I always went through the cart after a round to grab all my stuff...phone, speaker (if I brought it), range finder, etc. 

I had a tournament round and finished my round on 18. I was 1 back and the leader was on the 18th...the hardest hole on this course.

I watched his group play 18 and he had a really tough up and down to make par and win. I figured it was headed toward a playoff. I watched him get and upa down to win. Well, I had my phone with me while I watched from back of 18 green. Bag was on the cart. Rangefinder was in the cart. Since it was over, I just needed to grab my bag and go...which I did...and left the rangefinder. 

I have a bushnell now and it stays in the case that's attached to my bag. I grab it from the case, get my yardage, and put it back in the case. It never goes in the cart.

9 minutes ago, dfeldss said:

I always throw my keys and wallet in my rangefinder case. Never left it since someone gave me that little tip

This is it.  this will be my new reminder.  my old one didn't have a case with it so I never had a reminder like this.  GREAT idea

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

1 minute ago, mvhoffman said:

This is it.  this will be my new reminder.  my old one didn't have a case with it so I never had a reminder like this.  GREAT idea

Yeah i can't remember where i heard it, but it's been a savior for me.

Just make sure your car wont lock with your bag in it, because ive thrown my clubs in the trunk a couple times and had a mini heart attack when i realized my keys were still in the case and rangefinder still on the cart.

• Like 2

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

My old Leupold wasn’t magnetized so it rode in the cup holder.  Never forgot it.

Newer Precision Pro was magnetized and left it attached to the cart 3x.  Name and phone number on the rangefinder worked twice, but the third guy decided he needed it more than I did.

Just purchased a GoGoGo (can’t imagine spending $400 on a range finder) with slope and WRX discount and use a lot of “tricks” mentioned above. 1) Use the case as a phone holder 2) Put it away before getting to the green on 18 

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I lost my rangefinder 5 or 6 times. A lot of times I forgot attached to my cart, have a XE, and was always able to find either with the starter or cart boy. Not sure how since I only play munis in Southern Cal. 2 weeks ago it fell somewhere and miraculously I found in the rough when driving back just to check it out. Also lost cell and speakers several times and was always able to find. Pure luck I guess 🙂

Edited by golfjam

Be sure to put your name and phone number on it. I did the same last year and left my name at the pro shop and didn't hear anything and considered it gone. 3 months later I get a call that it had been sitting around in the cart barn all summer with my name and phone number stamped right on it. My guess is some HS kid cleaning carts borrowed it for the Summer and then got a guilty conscience. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, taoslcl said:

Be sure to put your name and phone number on it. I did the same last year and left my name at the pro shop and didn't hear anything and considered it gone. 3 months later I get a call that it had been sitting around in the cart barn all summer with my name and phone number stamped right on it. My guess is some HS kid cleaning carts borrowed it for the Summer and then got a guilty conscience. 

that or the battery needed replacing so he gave yours back and started using another

• Haha 1

I always have mine in my bag in the little quick pocket above the main pocket.  

I take it out, get the read, and put it back in every time (it is now habit).  I never leave it in the cart at all.   Yes that is not convenient, but have not misplaced it once.  

I lay wedges on the green with my putter headcover.  Have only forgotten that once, which was on the next tee where I immediately caught it.  

It just takes reducing things to habit.  Then losing things isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I lost it during opening round of amateur circuit in 2020. Was sharing a cart with golfer who was unusually impatient given the crowded course. I had used RF to shoot a distance to front bunker. I put it  somewhere in cart, hit my shot, get my putter and partner zooms off to his ball leaving me in fairway.

Next hole is par 3 - just use Garmin watch. We must wait 5 minutes to hit. But on following hole, I can't find rangefinder.

Searched both carts, revisited par 3 tee, and no RF. Course said no one turned one in.

Opening round always a challenge to get pre-shot routine back down.

Replacement RF is small enough I can put it on my belt behind right side pocket with no obstruction. Belt position really handy on cartpath-only days, I don't have to lay it down while I hit my shot.

Question: How reliable are the magnets on RFs that you supposedly can stick to the roof post of your cart?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

2 hours ago, dfeldss said:

I always throw my keys and wallet in my rangefinder case. Never left it since someone gave me that little tip

I have left my V5 Shift on a cart three times. Luckily was able to recover them all, but since the 3rd time I always take my case off the bag and put in the cart bin as a reminder. I'll follow this advice and take that extra step with the keys and wallet. Was also thinking of adding GPS tracker

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

3 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

I've done the same - it's now my routine to put my RF away after my last shot on 18 - before I pull the putter out - I put my RF away

I do the same thing. Hit the approach into 18, sand the divot, put the rangefinder in the case in the bag. 

2 hours ago, dfeldss said:

I always throw my keys and wallet in my rangefinder case.

Great insurance move! I may have to do the keys from now on. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

4 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

Another trick could be to leave the storage pouch on the driver's seat of your car. Or even hook it to your car keys in your bag. Personally I leave it in the pouch in one of the cubbies of the cart  as I don't have a magnetic strip and I always double check the whole cart before leaving

I do that but put a folded white hand towel in that cubbyhole so whatever I put in there, rangefinder, phone or whatever, stands out. I also put my keys, wallet and usually my phone in the rangefinder pocket of my bag. Between the two methods, I have never left a rangefinder on/in the cart.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, animalgolfs said:

I've left mine attached to the cart many times and I've lost one that "wasn't turned in". I've started to try to do this on 18 so it becomes automatic. 

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Very cool that the lady was able to make your day.  As someone said previously, put your keys and wallet in the case.  You'll never forget your rangefinder. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

4 hours ago, MattC555 said:

Very cool that the lady was able to make your day.  As someone said previously, put your keys and wallet in the case.  You'll never forget your rangefinder. 

That will be the plan from now on. A replacement case from Amazon is on the way