Disassemble to find out what works, or don’t break something awesome?? / Static weight debate // Srixon irons #overthinkeverything #thisisnttwitterstupid

FauxShaux

Okay, this is not only complicated, but also a real WRX problem.

I have a set of Srixon z745s I picked up off eBay, initially intended to be range beaters or back ups, was gaming mizy 919 tours when I got them, the srixons are awesome clubs though.  So much so that they have constantly worked their way into my bag.  Played Mizunos for years prior,

turns out they build clubs too light for me.  The Srixons were standard spec when I got them, right shafts in the first place, just needed extended and lie adjusted. I’m handy, knocked that out in a weekend to get them to spec.  But that meant shaft extensions, + 1/2”. This was done prior to ever hitting them and only lead to good results.  No idea if they were tip weighted already or not, just that they were standard spec.  Have had them swing weighted and they come in at D5 with my midsize grips, tape build up, and extensions.

Loved the 745s so much I ordered a combo set of ZX7 pw-6 w/ ZX5 5&4, brand new, had my specs from multiple fittings, but never really had anyone dive into club weight/swing weight/static weight with one of those fittings.  Great clubs, but still just a little off, way more inconsistent with them, hotter in general and a well struck ball is a well struck ball, but I just couldn’t find the same tempo or groove as I do with the z745s.

So I weighed both sets for static weight.  The z745s were heavier across the board.  They were even (within a gram) in some places, but those were the ZX7 clubs I hit the best in general.  I also ended up lengthening the zx7s a 1/4” after ordering them because of my own stupidity.  Again I’ve had them swing weighted as is, and after mods, at Continental Golf here locally and they were basically the same, in fact the ZX7s had a bunch of lead tape on them when I had them swing weighted and they came out heavier (swing weight).  BTW, you should see their swing weight machine, it’s about the size of a small fridge and probably more accurate than anything golfworks sells.  Or less… it’s pretty old… not what this is about…

Getting to the point, but did say this is a WRX problem…

So, now I’ve come across a set of z745 5-7 with 945 8-pw heads thanks to @Oh Hi Carl (yeah you’re invited to the party hahaha).  As well as a fresh uncut set of S400 shafts I picked up on the bay.  Same shafts I’m gaming in both sets of existing irons.

Heres the dilemma…

Do I take the Srixon z745s I’ve been gaming to great success, best scores I’ve ever shot, completely apart to see why they weigh more and I hit them so well? Eg tip weights in there?

- I’m worried I’m going to break something that’s already working and put a bunch of effort into a non needle mover.

Do I build the new 745/945 set as is and try to match up the weights?

Do I disassemble the z745s I have now and use the new heads to build a super set MOI matched and really WRXd?

Or do I put the new shafts in the ZX7/5 combo and assume I did a sh*t job with the extensions in there and that’s throwing everything off?

PS the extensions i the ZX7s were only done way after the fact, probably at least 6 months after receiving, and did improve my ball striking, but not to the same level as the 745s as they are now.

For the record the only fit difference between zx7 and z745s is static weight (for most clubs) and grips; zx7 z-cords, z745s UTXs, both midsize with plus 2 build up tape and still mostly equal swing weights.

Given that this is WRX I’ve probably only given you half the necessary information.  So hit me with all of the conjecture, criticism, and questions I deserve…. Also I’ll post both sets static weights when I can, but I already wrote a book with this post and am about out of finger juice.  Plus not sure it even matters.

Any response is appreciated!!! Plus you get a gold star for reading all this bullxxxx and following me down the rabbit hole…

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Take your favorite iron apart.  Weight the components  rebuild the  same iron in the new set to match.  If the results while hitting match up you have a baseline for the rest of the set.  It should not be difficult reassembling the original iron to the original specs that work.

• Like 1

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

7 hours ago, FauxShaux said:

Do I take the Srixon z745s I’ve been gaming to great success, best scores I’ve ever shot, completely apart to see why they weigh more and I hit them so well? Eg tip weights in there?

- I’m worried I’m going to break something that’s already working and put a bunch of effort into a non needle mover.

This is what you do, without question. Two reasons...

One, better golf is always the end goal, don't lose sight of that, hah. You always want to know what goes into the thing that works the best for you, that's what the pros do. And two, this is the interesting one. Unless you're worried about breaking something that would prevent you from fully documenting the specs then there should be zero concern about that. What could you break that couldn't then be replaced? If you've documented everything; length, lie angle, lofts, swingweight, total weight, grip weight, wraps of tape, headweight, and shaft weight, then you have everything you need to make sure the club goes back together the way it should as well as the ability to reproduce all those specs with anything else. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Kuro Kage 70XTS || Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR 7X 
Taylormade SIM V2 16.5* Kuro Kage Prototype 80TX || Taylormade M5 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 80TX 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Srixon ZX Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB9.8 Tour Spec-X
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

8 hours ago, FauxShaux said:

Heres the dilemma…

So here's what I did.  I had a set of irons done at DanaGolf(RIP) in Warner Robbins, GA.  He was the best clubfitter I have ever been to.  We spent a couple of hours dialing in everything.  When he sold his shop (in 2017 I think) I wanted to make sure I had everything written down for myself so I setup to tear a club down and check it all.

I had a SW scale, bought a kitchen grams scale, had tip weights ready, and lead tape.  I started with the 7 iron, got a good SW measurement(make sure you take your SW measurement in the exact same place, if working on a wood bench slight inclines or decline could affect).  I checked it three times to make sure.  Got my static weight of the club and documented.  Measured the exact length and loft and lie angles.   Removed the head.  Cleaned out the hosel, and weighed it.  Weighed the shaft with the grip.  Removed the grip, weighed the grip.  Weighed the shaft, measure length without the shaft. Wrote it all down.

==

Once I had all of my numbers I then I cleaned and prepped everything.  Cleaned tape, cleaned shaft tip(inside and out), got my ferrule installed, installed my tape and then grip, checked against the numbers.  Did a dry SW test with the head(knowing it will go up by a point or so due to epoxy later) and then re-assembled.

Once it was cured took it to the range and verified that everything was still good with foot powder and then I was confident to do the rest of the set.  

• Like 1

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - PXG Gen 5 0311 - Diamana S+ 70x or Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • Callaway 19* U Wood  - Ventus Purple X
  • Util - 22* SIM DHY - Recoil 110 F5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland ZipCore 46 & 50* - Recoil 110 F5
  • SW - Mizuno T22 Copper 55* - Recoil 110 F5
  • LW - PXG 0311 Forged 60* - Recoil 125 Wedge Prototype F5
  • Putters -  EVNROLL ER2v Short Slant - BGT Stability | Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter 

Clubs in good standing(that rotate in and out)....

•   Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Countless other 21-22* Irons

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

Considering the gear they have at Continental it seems like they'd be able to accurately measure the clubs you like best without having to take any of them apart. 

The average weight of any kind of grip is readily available online. Same with shafts of any sort cut to any length. Same with stock head weights. Between measuring and googling I'd think you could get pretty close. 

I'll also say as a fellow Srixon iron lover the Z745 and Z765 heads are also the ones I like best and I've been through a bunch of their models. I could play the ZX7's on my favorite shafts but I don't expect I'd like them better than the Z765's. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS 9.0/Tensei Blue 65R

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon ZU85 5

Srixon Z765 6-PW w/ Steelfiber FC115

Srixon 785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54/10 and 58/6

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On the earlier golf forums, before there was a GolfWRX, it was well known that you if have a club that contains poon, and you disassemble it, the poon escapes, never to be had again.  Proceed at your own risk.

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

M4 Driver
3 or 4 wood

3,4,5,6, & sometimes 7 hybrids (22,25,28,32 degrees)  Adams
7-GW Maltby STi or TS2 irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
some aggravating putter

I’m definitely overthinking this.  Typical of a golfer looking for any edge they can get.  I think I’m going to pull apart my favorite club from the z745 set and see what weights I end up with.  As of now I’ve shored up the weight gapping with lead tape, so now it’s time to pick a favorite.

Also, super nervous about the poon escaping….  Big ups Snowman, completely forgot about that when posting all that nonsense earlier.

Thank you those of you who responded.  Hopefully no one else falls into the trap…

• Like 2

I say game the 745s and dump the other irons. Why chase something newer when they have kicked out your Mizzys? They are so good they have become the baseline for what you like in irons.

I have been where you are now. Always chasing something newer and shinier. Now I play what works! Once I find something I like...I use it and don't look back. 

• Like 1

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

12 hours ago, FauxShaux said:

Plastic tips in the shaft had a bunch of built up epoxy  behind it, may be from my extension job…

When you install extensions, place them butt down for drying.  Otherwise you’ll have epoxy running down inside the shaft and possibly breaking loose and rattling at some point.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
3 or 4 wood

3,4,5,6, & sometimes 7 hybrids (22,25,28,32 degrees)  Adams
7-GW Maltby STi or TS2 irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
some aggravating putter

I’m learning Snowman and one thing life has taught me is I learn most lessons the hard way…

That being said, pulled the 8 iron fully apart and weighed everything.  Since I’ve got s400 shafts the only way to replicate the exact same feel would be to counterbalance new shafts because that’s effectively what the extensions in there are doing.  Static weight with the extension in the shaft is the same as uncut weight for a new s400 shaft and I don’t think there’s anything heavier on the market.

Fee free to correct me if I’m thinking about this the wrong way.

• Like 1

Firstly, unless there was a crazy amount of epoxy used for those tips, there is just mow way the epoxy ran 35" or more down the shaft to the tip.  It's likely just addional epoxy from the tip or shaft install.

I also dont think the extensions are significant enough in weight to have any noticable "counterbalncing" effect.  That is all mental imo.

The way I see it. You found a really nice set of irons that you like. You should use them instead of chasing another set.

The golfwrx life. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902