2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is it legal to mark the Driver's head?

Barfolomew

I want to put a mark on my drivers crown.  I like drivers that have some kinda of mark at center top of crown.  Helps for alignment etc. 

Is legal to paint a little mark or metallic pen a small line or put a little sticker etc... for tourneys obviously? Thanks!

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Not legal to intentionally add an alignment aid to your club, sorry.

If you wanted to "accidentally" scratch the paint...

Edited by me05501
  • Haha 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

yet Taylormade can have the T, Titleist and Callaway have chevrons?

Im sure ive seen videos from the tour truck of players and tour builders using markers to change lines on a driver face and top edge.

Edited by Tasals
  • Like 1

It's my understanding that you could change/mark the top, bottom, or sides of the club but you can' apply any markings to the face.

But then again, I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time. 😐

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

10 minutes ago, Tasals said:

yet Taylormade can have the T, Titleist and Callaway have chevrons?

Im sure ive seen videos from the tour truck of players and tour builders using markers to change lines on a driver face and top edge.

It’s okay if it’s manufactured that way. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, me05501 said:

Are you certain? I’ve always been under the impression that markings for alignment to the club head were allowable as long as they meet the “semi-permanent” conditions, e.g. no protrusions, deformations, removable/adhesive “stickers”, etc. 

1.a(5) - External Attachments

While this clause prohibits the attachment of anything to the club which could potentially have an effect on its performance (e.g. aiming bars or weights), other items may be permitted to be attached to certain parts of the club provided (a) no performance benefit can be derived, and (b) no other Equipment Rules are breached, as well as Rule 4.3 of the Rules of Golf (Use of Equipment).

Examples of attachments that could be permitted include:

• Temporary, non-permanent attachments to the shaft such as decals for identification - such attachments, for identification only, may also be permitted on the clubhead (other than the face). Additionally, tape to protect the shaft is permitted. However, these attachments must not be usable for any other purpose (e.g. alignment).

• Temporary, non-permanent attachments to the shaft (e.g. “clip-on” devices), provided such items do not excessively protrude from the shaft, their cross-section conforms to the shape of the shaft and they are sufficiently fixed. Other “clip-on” devices that do not conform to the shape of the shaft (e.g. a club “prop” for use in wet weather) may be attached to the shaft between shots but must be removed prior to making a stroke.

• Other material added to the shaft, such as for alignment purposes, provided it is considered semi-permanent. However, such applications must not breach Rule 4.3. “Semi-permanent” is interpreted to mean durable and not easily removable. Additionally, it must not be re-usable and/or must be essentially destroyed upon removal.

• Temporary, non-permanent attachments to the butt end of the grip such as tee pegs, ball markers or ball retrieving devices, provided:

• such items do not cause the grip to be considered moulded for the hands or create a bulge or waist in the grip; and

• the outer diameter of the item is less than or equal to the outer diameter of the butt end of the grip and the item does not extend beyond the butt end of the grip by more than 2 inches (50.8mm).

• Other temporary, non-permanent attachments to any part of the grip other than the butt end, provided such items are removed prior to making a stroke. However, tape or gauze applied to the full length of the grip is permitted provided the grip conforms in its modified state and the underlying grip conforms.

• Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi-permanent. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead. Also, for driving clubs, such attachments must not serve to cause any confusion with the correct identification of a club on the list of Conforming Driver Heads. Such attachments should, therefore, be subtle, plain in appearance and discreetly positioned. Permanent additions to a clubhead would be considered part of the head and, therefore, the head, in its modified state, would have to conform to Part 2, Section 4 of the Equipment Rules (i.e. for dimensions and “plain in shape”).

Edited by MFBach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Sorry incorrect.

The only restriction in the rules on what markings can be on the club exist only for the face, not the rest of the club.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html

As long as any modifications are done in a permanent manner - or done is a semi-permanent manner as outline by the rule @MFBach referenced - it's perfectly fine to add an alignment mark to the crown of the club.

So you could put a paint dot on the top line of your irons to indicate where on the face you prefer to strike the ball?

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

39 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

So you could put a paint dot on the top line of your irons to indicate where on the face you prefer to strike the ball?

Paint would generally be considered "semi-pemanent" so yes - that is as long as none of the paint gets on the face.

from the interpretations of rule 4.a:

4.a(6) - Features above the top line of the head

• For putters, alignment or other features must not extend above the top line of the face by more than 0.25 inches (6.35 mm) – see Figure 32.

• For woods and irons, features which otherwise meet the requirements for “plain in shape” must not extend above the top line of the head by more than 0.1 inch (2.54 mm).

Permanent or semi-permanent lines or other markings which have been painted, inscribed or otherwise incorporated (see Section 1a) for alignment purposes are permitted.

Edited by Stuart_G

Whew, got scared there for a second. As a junior, I had an old Ping Anser without any alignment so I put a black dot on top. Good to know all those under 18 events I won 25 years ago still count. I'd hate to have to call the committees at this point and DQ myself. 

Edited by iknowbagu
Spelling is hard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Many putters have an alignment line/dot.   I'd be surprised if there was a rule prohibiting a mark on any other club.

54 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

Many putters have an alignment line/dot.   I'd be surprised if there was a rule prohibiting a mark on any other club.

While I agree - you might be surprised at how many of the equipment rules allow things on putters that they don't allow on other clubs.   So it's always good to double check the rules before making any assumptions about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

While I agree - you might be surprised at how many of the equipment rules allow things on putters that they don't allow on other clubs.   So it's always good to double check the rules before making any assumptions about that.

I play with a group of sticklers, for the most part, which I actually enjoy. I geek out a little when we get unusual circumstances or rulings and I’m one of the few people that likes to see a rules official coming on TV.

I have always thought it was funny that the USGA/R&A have so many “interpretations” of The Rules. I guess they’re trying to keep up with the times without changing anything foundational. 

You’re right though. Putters are a different animal and it’s never a good idea to assume that an allowable alteration to a putter applies to any other club in the bag. 

I know it’s a lot, but for anyone interested… golf is pretty silly sometimes. I can’t help but laugh at the idea of a group of old men sitting around a table, arguing about which locations a hole/port should be allowable on a putter. 

Interpretation of Rule 4.a

4.a(1) - Plain in Shape

The “plain in shape” requirement originates from the ‘traditional and customary’ requirement in Section 1a. It is purely a descriptive provision, although in reality it can be challenging to define exactly what a golf club can or should look like. The following sections assists in explaining and illustrating what is and what is not permitted, but it should be noted that the examples that follow are not all-inclusive. Additionally, even if a clubhead satisfies all of the points outlined below, there may still be features or characteristics which render it not generally plain in shape. An overall assessment of the appearance of the head should always be made.

This provision basically means that the design of the clubhead must be free from gimmicks (though putters are viewed more liberally than woods and irons), must have the general appearance of a golf clubhead as opposed to another object and must not incorporate features which are designed to resemble another object (see Figure 23). All parts of the head (including permanent, permissible appendages) must be rigid throughout their length. As a general guideline, “rigid” means that it must not be possible to bend or flex the head or its parts by hand. (see Figure 24).

The provision acknowledges that defining whether a clubhead is “plain in shape” is subjective. To better clarify the provision and its interpretation, it is split into two categories – one which covers “all clubs” and the other which covers the additional specifications relevant only to “irons and woods”. The Section also reflects the more liberalized application for putters which has evolved over the years and provides more detail regarding what is and what is not permitted for iron heads and woodheads.

327_1.0.jpeg

328_1.0.jpeg

4.a(2) - Holes through the Face

Holes through the face are not permitted – see Figure 25.

329_1.0.jpeg

4.a(3) - Holes through the Head

• Holes through the head are not permitted for wood heads – see Figure 26.

423_1.0.jpg

• Holes through the head are not permitted for iron heads. However, features within the cavity back of an iron clubhead that form a hole or holes may be permitted, (e.g. support bars), provided that the feature is contained within the outline of the main body of the head and the hole cannot be viewed from above – see Figure 27 a/b.

331_1.0.jpeg

• This provision is interpreted very liberally for putters and holes through the head (excluding the face) for any purpose including aiming, sighting or alignment are permitted – see Figure 28 for examples of permissible holes through the head of a putter.

332_1.0.jpeg

4.a(4) - Features for the purpose of meeting Dimensional Specifications

For all clubs, the distance from the heel to the toe of the clubhead must be greater than the distance from the front to the back (see Section 4b, below). Clubs which incorporate features which are designed to or have the effect of circumventing this requirement are not permitted – see Figure 29.

333_1.0.jpeg

4.a(5) - Features that extend into or ahead of the face

Permitted features in or on the main body of the head must not extend into the face of an iron or wood club. This would include alignment features on the crown – see Figure 30. Alignment lines which have been engraved or inscribed onto an iron clubhead would generally be permitted.

334_1.0.jpeg

• Certain features are permitted to extend into the face of a putter, including alignment features and concavities (or furrows) on the crown (see Section below on Furrows and Runners). However, such features must not have a depth or height greater than 0.25 inches (6.35 mm) when measured against the top line of the face.

• Features of any nature that extend ahead of the face are not permitted on any club – see Figure 31.

424_1.0.jpg

4.a(6) - Features above the top line of the head

• For putters, alignment or other features must not extend above the top line of the face by more than 0.25 inches (6.35 mm) – see Figure 32.

425_1.0.jpg

• For woods and irons, features which otherwise meet the requirements for “plain in shape” must not extend above the top line of the head by more than 0.1 inch (2.54 mm).

• Permanent or semi-permanent lines or other markings which have been painted, inscribed or otherwise incorporated (see Section 1a) for alignment purposes are permitted.

4.a(7) - Furrows and Runners

• Furrows or runners which extend into the face of a wood or iron club from any part of the head are not permitted – see Figure 33.

337_1.0.jpeg

• While this provision is applied strictly for furrows or runners which may appear on the sole of a putter, exceptions may be made for other parts of the head – see Figure 34.

338_1.0.jpeg

Furrows and/or runners are deemed to extend into the face if the leading edge of the face has any concavity (point of inflection or turning point).

The application of this provision is fairly straightforward in most cases and can be determined simply by placing a straight edge along the leading edge of the face and looking to see if there is a gap between these two edges. However, woods and hybrids commonly have a smooth transition between the face and the rest of the body which can sometimes make it difficult to determine, in a repeatable and reproducible manner, whether features “extend into” or intersect the face.

Where the transition between the body and the face is not clearly defined, i.e. the face does not meet the body at a sharp edge or chamfer, the point of intersection shall be defined as the point where a line inclined at 45° from the reference plane is tangent to the cross-section (see Figure 35).

339_1.0.jpeg

• A reference plane is defined as the plane tangent to the face at the centre of the impact area.

• A vertical cross-section is created by establishing a plane perpendicular to the reference plane, usually running through the centre of the face/clubhead and the area of interest (i.e. furrow or runner).

Projecting the points of intersection so defined onto the reference plane may be used to define a profile (see Figure 36).

340_1.0.jpeg

Any substantial concavities in said profile are considered sufficient evidence that a runner or furrow extends into the face and thus does not conform with Section 4a(i).

Where the transition between the body and face is clearly defined by a chamfer of at least 45° with respect to the face, furrows and/or runners are permitted to intersect the chamfered surface, provided the feature does not intersect the face itself (see Figure 37).

341_1.0.jpeg

If a runner has been chamfered back away from the face, by at least 45°, then it would not be considered to extend into the face – see Figure 38.

411_1.0.jpg

412_1.0.jpg

4.a(8) - Optical and Electrical Devices

Clubheads which incorporate prisms, mirrors, reflective materials, light beams, metronomes or mechanical devices such as spirit levels are not permitted – see Figures 39 and 40.

Electronic devices in or on the club shaft or grip, which have the sole purpose of identifying the club, may be permitted. The identification information is restricted to:

(a) the club’s owner, such as address and phone number;

(b) inventory tracking information;

(c) detection of the club’s use during a round.

Any such device must meet all other requirements of the Equipment Rules and must not vibrate or emit light or sound. If the device is capable of any function other than identification, the golf club will be considered not traditional and customary in form and make (see Section 1a (i)) and, therefore, non-conforming.

Note: Any device or application used in conjunction with a club incorporating such a device must comply with the provisions of Rule 4.3 of the Rules of Golf.

426_1.0.jpg427_1.0.jpg

4.a(9) - Cavities in the Outline of the Heel and/or Toe

When making this assessment, “viewed from above” is interpreted to mean the range from directly above the head to the normal address position for that club. The restriction does not apply to horizontal cavities around the skirt of the head, which might be visible from above – see Figures 41a and b.

345_1.0.jpeg

4.a(10) - Severe or Multiple Cavities in the Outline of the Back of the Head

• Severe cavities (as viewed at address), which go all the way through the head, are not permitted. A “severe” cavity is one where the entrance to the cavity is narrower than its width at any other point – see Figure 41c.

• A single cavity in the back of the head is permitted – see Figure 41b. However, multiple cavities are not permitted – see Figure 41d.

• Cavities in the crown of the head are permitted, even if they are designed primarily as an aid to sighting, aiming or aligning the swing plane or the head position, or to accommodate markings for such aids – see Figure 41e. However, all cavities on the crown are filled for the purpose of measuring the volume of the head – see Section 4b(i)).

346_1.0.jpeg

4.a(11) - Transparent Material

• Clubheads made entirely of transparent material are permitted.

• Transparent material that is added to an otherwise non-plain head does not render the head “plain in shape”. For example, a wood head which has a vertical hole from the top surface through to the sole would be ruled non-conforming (see Section 4a(i) and Figure 26). Filling this hole with a transparent material (e.g. perspex or glass), would not alter this ruling.

4.a(12) - Features Extending Beyond the Outline of the Head

Any fin, knob, appendage or plate which is protruding beyond the outline of the head is not permitted, whatever the purpose.

NOTE: While this provision does not apply to putters, The R&A and USGA have determined that unusual features which protrude beyond the outline of the toe and/or heel of a putter head may be ruled not “plain in shape” or not “traditional and customary”. However, as previously noted, other permanent appendages to the putter head are permitted provided that:

• the feature is rigid throughout its length (i.e., cannot be bent or flexed by hand);

• the feature does not extend forward of the face; and,

• the features does not extend above the top line of the face by more than 0.25 inches (6.35 mm).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

that is as long as none of the paint gets on the face

So for clarification, if we did the COG measurement from the driver fitting thread, the mark on the face would need removed before playing a sanctioned event?

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Sorry incorrect.

The only restriction in the rules on what markings can be on the club exist only for the face, not the rest of the club.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html

As long as any modifications are done in a permanent manner - or done is a semi-permanent manner as outline by the rule @MFBach referenced - it's perfectly fine to add an alignment mark to the crown of the club.

Thanks Stuart!!  Now how to mark it lol

Are stickers allowed??  Would like to use a tiny sticker as can remove to sell club later

Edited by Barfolomew

Can't figure how to like my own posts

25 minutes ago, Rapatt95 said:

So for clarification, if we did the COG measurement from the driver fitting thread, the mark on the face would need removed before playing a sanctioned event?

That would be the safe thing to do but it really depends on what is used to make the mark and whether the mark is determined to be an external attachment (non-permanent or semi-permanent such as paint or tape or stickers) which would not be allowed  - or if it's ruled to be a decorative marking - which is allowed as long as it's deemed not to have any undue influence on the ball.

It's not any kind of official interpretation but I don't think something like a sharpie mark would be considered an external attachment.  But I could be wrong.   The distinction is a bit fuzzy.

Edited by Stuart_G

5 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Are stickers allowed??  Would like to use a tiny sticker as can remove to sell club later

The problem with a sticker is that it could potentially take damage during the course of play. If it was pulled away, torn, or otherwise damaged, it would be non-conforming from my interpretation, by not meeting the “semi-permanent” qualification. 

5 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

It's not any kind of official interpretation but I don't think something like a sharpie mark would be considered an external attachment.

It might depend on the official making the ruling. I had a 2 Ball approved for tournament play after drawing a line through the center of the alignment aids. I think that would be your safest bet for a conforming addition while still being easily removable, depending on the finish.