Upgrading from Game Improvement Irons - What's Next?

BenP34

I am brand new on these forums, this is my first post.  Been golfing on and off for 15 years, but just started to take it seriously the last 2 years.  At the beginning of the year, I had a goal of cutting my handicap from 19 to under 12 by the start of winter, and I'm currently at a 13.  

I currently play Ping G30 irons, which I bought used about 2 years ago.  I'm left handed, and while there are many golf courses in my area, there are very few golf equipment shops.  Most of them don't have much stock for lefties anyways, so I can't test much.  

I'm looking for suggestions on what irons to upgrade to from my Ping G30's.  I've tested the P790s and love them, but they're a bit more than I can spend at this time at least.  I really like the look of the P790s, and also find the Takomo 101's intriguing as they have a similar look. 

Here are some other options I'm considering.  I would love to hear feedback or opinions on other options people would recommend.

1. TaylorMade P790

2. Takomo 101

3. Titleist 712 AP2

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BenP34 said:

I am brand new on these forums, this is my first post.  Been golfing on and off for 15 years, but just started to take it seriously the last 2 years.  At the beginning of the year, I had a goal of cutting my handicap from 19 to under 12 by the start of winter, and I'm currently at a 13.  

I currently play Ping G30 irons, which I bought used about 2 years ago.  I'm left handed, and while there are many golf courses in my area, there are very few golf equipment shops.  Most of them don't have much stock for lefties anyways, so I can't test much.  

I'm looking for suggestions on what irons to upgrade to from my Ping G30's.  I've tested the P790s and love them, but they're a bit more than I can spend at this time at least.  I really like the look of the P790s, and also find the Takomo 101's intriguing as they have a similar look. 

Here are some other options I'm considering.  I would love to hear feedback or opinions on other options people would recommend.

1. TaylorMade P790

2. Takomo 101

3. Titleist 712 AP2

Thanks!

Be slow to change and don’t chase gear for the sake of it would be my advice. I’ve seen county players, I.e. plus handicaps, with no two irons the same make. Mind you, t’was in the old days when clubs were ify. 

Why upgrade if you're still getting better with the clubs you already have? You're not going to get better faster by buying news irons.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w Fujikura Vista Pro 55 

TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 5W w Diamana s60 Limited

Cobra F8 One Length 3H and 4H

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW

Cleveland CG15 55* & 60* 

Bridgestone TD-01 putter

Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XL grips

what's up bro. As others have said you don't really need to upgrade, Similar to @596 i have played Ping G's to very low indexes, i once played in the Quebec Mid-Am with a full G15 bag LOL.

Anyhoo, if you really want new irons that have more of a players feel, but don't want to break the bank....I'd check out PXG older models. They are great for seriously discounting their older models, like you can get Gen4 P irons for a good price which i believe is a forged head that is classy looking and forgiving

The 0211 Xcor also fits a nice medium between the SGI 0211 DC and the blade 0211 ST. Again these are pretty affordable. I'm a big fan of the 0211 series and own a set of the blades.

Welcome to the forums!

PXG 0311 Gen5 w/PX RDX Smoke Black 70

PXG 0211 15* w/PX RDX Smoke Black 70

Sub70 659CB 3-AW RAW w/KBS Tour

Sub70 JB wedges 54/60 RAW w/KBS tour

Deschamps Crisp Antique

While it’s true you don’t need to upgrade, and any iron model can be played to a very good handicap, a well fitting club that unlocks you can make it much easier vs a poor fitting club that you are adjusting to accommodate.

Yeah the market sucks for lefties, BUT there is one thing lefties can definite do, and that’s getting a proper fitting. The first step is always getting fit. Especially for the proper shaft and length (which is thankfully ambidextrous 😝).

Fit for length and lie and shaft profile, weight, and flex. This will give you the best chance at maximizing your swing, and matters more than anything else. Iron heads fine tune the rest of the equation (turf interaction, launch, spin, height, distance).

A shaft swap is much cheaper than a set of irons too.

This is what I did:

I had a poorly fitting set of MP18s, paid for and attended a Mizuno fitting event ($25). Was fit into MP225s with Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, built 0.5 degrees flat (lie) and 0.5 inches short (length) with standard lofts.

I couldn’t justify plopping down $1400 and waiting 8 weeks, so I bought the shafts ($250), put them in my irons (<$100), cut the irons down to length, bent my MP18s to 0.5 degree flat, and put them into play. That unlocked my swing (without compensations for the poorly fitting irons) and I immediately gained speed, distance, height, improved strike patterns (smash factor), and consistency.

My iron play immediately became better, even without the MP225 iron heads. All because I moved from a poorly fitted shaft+length+loft to a much better fitting one, and I spent $400 instead of $1400.

That’s my $0.02. Get fit for proper shaft, length, and lie and put it in your current heads. Then get a roll of high density lead tape and play with swingweight.

• Like 2

I don't understand the "upgrade" to xxxx comment?  G30's will take most anyone that isn't biased against GI irons to scratch or better.  

Change irons if you want, but in most cases it won't be an "upgrade."

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, iknowbagu said:

This is WRX and you people are telling a first time poster NOT to buy something. For shame. 

lolz, in true WRX style the only move from Ping G30 irons is straight to the Blueprint with X100 TI shafts 😝

i agree what other posters say about the definition of 'Upgrading' is.

IMO the AP2 would be a sound choice, look around this forum at the rep the AP2 has its almost a bomb proof choice.

Keep playing them until you hit a plateau.  Changing for the sake of changing is often a death sentence for people in golf and leads to more purchases, self doubt, male pattern baldness, the yips, and even divorce.  The good thing is that divorce can lead to an increase in spending money eventually to buy more clubs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* AV Raw Blue 65TX

TM Sim Ti 14* Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

Edel 4-PW SPB X

Edel 50/54/58 TI S400

Yes Abbie Forged

PV1X/TPX

Whatever you choose as an ‘upgrade’, I would recommend hanging on to the G30s until you have gone all in. They will hold their market value.

Many threads on WRX in which members offer their opinions on the ‘best’ irons available. 

Welcome to the Forums Ben. 

Edited by PeanutsDaddy
  • Like 1

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Welcome to the journey my friend. This part of your game is one in which you will be trying to find the holy grail. We have all been there thinking what if I upgrade my equipment, it will translate to lower scores. It might or it might not. This is where it gets fun and where I give a bit of warning. You learned to play those G30’s after two years. Probably in the beginning, it wasn’t like that. Expect that same frustration with the new clubs you come across. Second thing is not to fall for the latest and greatest because this is your second set which will probably become a third then fourth and possibly a fifth. There are many older sets that will probably give you what you are looking for without shelling out a grand for the 790’s. I suggest making small changes. Maybe switch up your wedges or upgrading your driver or three wood instead. Sometimes we feel like replacing the irons is the game changer but it fact leaving it alone can be a game stabilizer. Last but not least, see if you can test out clubs. I know it’s difficult being left handed but some places offer a satisfaction guarantee which will allow you to trade it for something else. Lastly, enjoy the journey that is ahead. I’ve probably owned over 20 sets of irons and still haven’t found any the one. Find one that performs, looks good when you put it down behind a ball and sounds the way you want it to sound when you strike it solid. Hope that helps

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 10* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Mizuno Fli Hi

Bridgestone J40 Raw 4-PW Accra 115cwt 

Bridgestone J40 56 Spinner shaft

Toulon Columbus copper Stability Shaft 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Dropped 6  strokes playing the 30s. Were these just a shot in the dark when you purchased the set? Good playing so far for sure. I’d do like mentioned above. Have the proper lie,length, and shaft, and shaft  weight figured out and reshaft the 30s . If not,  then a complete puts iron fitting with a reputable fitter that the locals where you play the most golf at recommend or you’re in for a long bumpy ride, especially hanging round here. Good luck…. 

Edited by boggyman

3 hours ago, Zena said:

While it’s true you don’t need to upgrade, and any iron model can be played to a very good handicap, a well fitting club that unlocks you can make it much easier vs a poor fitting club that you are adjusting to accommodate.

Yeah the market sucks for lefties, BUT there is one thing lefties can definite do, and that’s getting a proper fitting. The first step is always getting fit. Especially for the proper shaft and length (which is thankfully ambidextrous 😝).

Fit for length and lie and shaft profile, weight, and flex. This will give you the best chance at maximizing your swing, and matters more than anything else. Iron heads fine tune the rest of the equation (turf interaction, launch, spin, height, distance).

A shaft swap is much cheaper than a set of irons too.

This is what I did:

I had a poorly fitting set of MP18s, paid for and attended a Mizuno fitting event ($25). Was fit into MP225s with Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, built 0.5 degrees flat (lie) and 0.5 inches short (length) with standard lofts.

I couldn’t justify plopping down $1400 and waiting 8 weeks, so I bought the shafts ($250), put them in my irons (<$100), cut the irons down to length, bent my MP18s to 0.5 degree flat, and put them into play. That unlocked my swing (without compensations for the poorly fitting irons) and I immediately gained speed, distance, height, improved strike patterns (smash factor), and consistency.

My iron play immediately became better, even without the MP225 iron heads. All because I moved from a poorly fitted shaft+length+loft to a much better fitting one, and I spent $400 instead of $1400.

That’s my $0.02. Get fit for proper shaft, length, and lie and put it in your current heads. Then get a roll of high density lead tape and play with swingweight.

This is a great idea - in your area, are there any Pro Shops with Mizuno optimisers you could use? 

Dr: Cobra SZ Xtreme 9° w/ Tensei White AV 65 and MCC+4 Midsize plus 19g weight

F: Titleist TSi3 15° w/ Tensei White AV 75 and MCC+4 Midsize plus +4g weight

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19° w/ Harzardus Black Smoke RDX and MCC+4 Midsize 

H: Titleist TSi3 20° w/ Tensei White 90 and MCC+4 Midsize plus +4g weight

U: Callaway Forged XT U 18° w/ Project X U 110 6.0 (+0.75") and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW w/ True Temper Elevate 115 (+1.25") and MCC+4 Midsize

W: Callaway Jaws Full Toe 54°/12° & 58°/10° w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner 115 (+1.25") and MCC+4 Midsize 

P: Ping Anser 2021 Black Dot 34"

B: Titleist ProV1x

Like everyone has said - why are you changing. 

like you I, went from a 20 to a 10 last year. Changed from GI to players irons. 

but I was trying to get more consistent distance. Change my miss from a long flyer miss or a short miss and gain the ability to flight balls down as I use a lot of knock downs shots. I also needed heavier more stable share as my swing speed improved. 

you need to identify why you want new irons. Is there a consistent miss? 

In what way are your current irons holding you back? 

Maybe you just want new sticks…. We all understand that itch.. 

if you share some of those details, you will get recommendations. 

7 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Keep playing them until you hit a plateau.  Changing for the sake of changing is often a death sentence for people in golf and leads to more purchases, self doubt, male pattern baldness, the yips, and even divorce.  The good thing is that divorce can lead to an increase in spending money eventually to buy more clubs!

Not if you inform your Dragon that your buying for and to assist a friend.  

Allow me to point you to Club WRX's most recent Blades make you a better ball striker thread.... 😄 

I broke 90 with my Ping Eye 2s. I broke 80 with them. Never broke 70. On my third set of irons since 'retiring' the BeCU beauties. 

Still have not broken 70. 

Biggest different to me is in the short game: larger GI clubs may not have the grind you want to open up for advanced short game work *IF* that is something you are working on. Now the Eye2's didn't have that problem, famously the S and L wedges were stupid easy to hit and are still copied by clubs today. I don't know the G30s, they may be perfect too 🙂 

17 hours ago, BenP34 said:

I've tested the P790s and love them, but they're a bit more than I can spend at this time at least.

Honma TW-X's are similar to P790's, but a lot better. and you can get a set for $500.

Stiff Flex - https://www.ebay.com/itm/353433756360

Reg flex - https://www.ebay.com/itm/373515125895

Lots of great reviews here:

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - Tour AD-IZ 6S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro Wedges (black nitride by Flanigan Bilt) - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S - 52°-10°, 56°-14°, 60°-10°

Grips - Iomic iX Touch 2.0 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

2019 Maxfli Tour - Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

13 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Can confirm all except the divorce.  Somehow she still loves me through the rest. 

Ping G425 LST 10.5 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 5 wood -2 degrees 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid

TaylorMade Sim DHY 4

PXG Gen 5 0311  5-G

Miura Y Grind 51

Miura K Grind 55

Scotty Golo 3