10-club bag

dhappy42

Read somewhere recently that if your average drive carries 200 yards, then you probably only need 10 clubs instead of 14. Got me wondering which 10, specifically. Could you do it based on a standard iron set? Or bend them to desired lofts.?

Ping G400 Max driver w Fujikura Vista Pro 55 

TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 5W w Diamana s60 Limited

Cobra F8 One Length 3H and 4H

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW

Cleveland CG15 55* & 60* 

Bridgestone TD-01 putter

Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XL grips

12 minutes ago, Thumper604 said:

I par’d the back 9 with nuttin but a 7 iron. True story. 
it goes 227yds, on a toe side strike. 

Haha awesome. I do think amateurs overthink equipment including myself.

I've told my story before on this topic but it can be repeated haha. Bought a set of my childhood northwestern blades at a garage sale wrapped in plastic for five bucks a few years back. Golf buddy/best friend asks why and is laughing etc. I say I probably would shoot the same with these as my 3000 dollar fitted set. 

And the bet was on. I ended up shooting 72 with a 3-5-7-9 iron and a 3 wood. It simplified things for me. If it was too far for a nine it was a soft seven. 

I could easily drop a 3 wood, gap wedge and some mid iron I use a couple times a round and not even notice it. 

• Like 2

I've never seen a reason to bag anything less than legal limit (though I have friends that do). Totally true that during some rounds, depending on the course, a few clubs won't be used, but why not have them if you need them? Puzzled by where the OP may have read " ... if your average drive carries 200 yards, then you probably only need 10 clubs instead of 14". 

In fact, I think the better, longer, more precise the golfer. the fewer clubs you need. I vaguely remember an anecdote from years ago (can't remember where I read it). A reporter noticed that Ben Hogan was playing a tournament without a 7 iron (think he had added an extra wedge), and asked why. Hogan simply replied that "there are no 7 iron shots on this course". 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10.25* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

17 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

I've never seen a reason to bag anything less than legal limit (though I have friends that do). Totally true that during some rounds, depending on the course, a few clubs won't be used, but why not have them if you need them? Puzzled by where the OP may have read " ... if your average drive carries 200 yards, then you probably only need 10 clubs instead of 14". 

In fact, I think the better, longer, more precise the golfer. the fewer clubs you need. I vaguely remember an anecdote from years ago (can't remember where I read it). A reporter noticed that Ben Hogan was playing a tournament without a 7 iron (think he had added an extra wedge), and asked why. Hogan simply replied that "there are no 7 iron shots on this course". 

I think the logic is... 

If you only carry a driver 200y, your yardages for the other full swing clubs will be really bunched up and overlapping. 

You probably can't hit long irons because you don't have the speed. 3/4/5 hybrid will probably go a similar distance. 5w and 7w probably goes similar distance just with different amounts of flight and roll. 

Edited by Feelingofgreatness
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bobfoster said:

If I’m riding in a cart I certainly want all my clubs.  If I’m carrying then I don’t mind playing less.  It’s kind of fun and doesn’t effect scoring nearly as much as I would have thought.  Obviously in a tournament or serious money game I’m bringing a full set but for super casual walking rounds it makes it more enjoyable for me to carry a half set.

I played 10 clubs on a long tough course.  I had the bag set like this without the 7 wood but knowing the course in longer and tougher I added it to the bag.  I ended up using it quite a few times and scored my second hole in one with it that day on a Par 3 170 yard shot.  I will probably leave it in for now and just stay with a fall setup of 10 clubs!

Driver,

5wd

7wd

4H

4/5 iron  (this is a combo iron from Cobra and I don't know what the loft actually is but it is the length or very close to it of a 5 iron.)

6 iron

8 iron

PW

SW

Putter

The irons are older so more traditional lofts.  I ended up shooting bogey golf which on that course is darn good!  🙂

• Like 1

I dont quite understand why carrying a driver 200, which I assume means your clubhead speed is around 85-90, will benefit from having 10 clubs than 14. 

I get that most people will shoot around the same with 10, and sometimes even play better, but as an average for the whole season, I dont know... 

My 12 year old has about 85-88 club head speed, and carries the ball around 200 with driver, sometimes longer. 

He has 14 clubs, and while he never uses the 60 to hit shots longer than 20 yards, he uses all 13 other clubs, with his 56 degree carrying about 70. 

So his carry numbers are...

56 = 70

50 = 82

P (45) = 95

9 = 110

8 = 120

7 = 135

6 = 145

5Hybrid = 155

4Hybrid = 165

5W = 180

3W = 195

D = 205

The three most used clubs in my bag besides the putter are driver, 4 hybrid and wedge.

Add a 6 iron, 8 iron and sand wedge = seven clubs. 

I normally play a 13 club bag, but when I go with these 7 clubs in a shoulder bag, my scores are often better. But I play off 20.

Needless to say, I'm currently looking for a 14th club....

The Callaway Edge set is ten clubs (D, 3w (why?!), 5h, 6-PW+SW, and Putter).

• Like 2

Dr: Cobra SZ Xtreme 9° w/ Tensei White AV 65 and MCC+4 Midsize plus 19g weight

F: Titleist TSi3 15° w/ Tensei White AV 75 and MCC+4 Midsize plus +4g weight

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19° w/ Harzardus Black Smoke RDX and MCC+4 Midsize 

H: Titleist TSi3 20° w/ Tensei White 90 and MCC+4 Midsize plus +4g weight

U: Callaway Forged XT U 18° w/ Project X U 110 6.0 (+0.75") and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW w/ True Temper Elevate 115 (+1.25") and MCC+4 Midsize

W: Callaway Jaws Full Toe 54°/12° & 58°/10° w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner 115 (+1.25") and MCC+4 Midsize 

P: Ping Anser 2021 Black Dot 34"

B: Titleist ProV1x

My last club used to have a few '3 club Stableford competitions'...scores were pretty similar to normal Stableford competitions played with full sets. Good scoring is pretty much down to Driver, wedge and putter.

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

200 yd drives and I’d be looking for another driver.  

Otherwise smaller gaps in your bag with 14.

Stealth 10.5° @9° w/Ventus Velocore red 5s

Callaway 4+ steelhead XR tensi blue 65 S
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping iE1 DG120 S300 4-UW

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°- 60º 

Mizuno D. Mills workshop lll  

On 9/23/2022 at 5:28 PM, dhappy42 said:

Read somewhere recently that if your average drive carries 200 yards, then you probably only need 10 clubs instead of 14. Got me wondering which 10, specifically. Could you do it based on a standard iron set? Or bend them to desired lofts.?

IMO, you should always use as many tools as you are allowed as there is probably a situation where you can use it at some point.  However, if your driver is carrying 200 yards that means your swing speed is 80-85mph (strike dependent).  At that speed, a player typically doesn't spin it the right amount to benefit from a driver less than about 10.5* of loft and usually something in the 11-12* range is better suited.  At that loft there is no need for a 3w and a couple of hybrids would be preferred over low-lofted irons.  In reality, the player probably can't get adequate height and stopping power out of something less than about 28-30* on an iron anyways.  When push comes to shove I think the vast majority of us really don't need a LW as they do tend to be low-probability shots for the average player.  With that in mind, my setup would be:

12* driver

17-18* fairway wood

21-22* fairway wood

25* hybrid

28* hybrid 

32* 7i

36* 8i

40* 9i

44* PW

54* SW with higher bounce

Putter

I know that is 11 clubs, but I can't see dropping any of these without sacrificing a big hole in the bag.  I guess there's an argument for the 7w to go away but that would be a critical 150-160y card I would imagine for a player of that speed.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 1

I am on the quest for the clubs I hit the best, feel and looks be darned.

These below have my attention at the moment.

SIM - Rogue Silver 130

Speedzone Tour Big - Arcane

Rogue Sub Zero - Thump 

0211DC 5-PW - Elevate Tour

SM8 50/F, 54/D, 58/M - i123

Bettinardi Hive Custom

11 hours ago, WristySwing said:

IMO, you should always use as many tools as you are allowed as there is probably a situation where you can use it at some point.  However, if your driver is carrying 200 yards that means your swing speed is 80-85mph (strike dependent).  At that speed, a player typically doesn't spin it the right amount to benefit from a driver less than about 10.5* of loft and usually something in the 11-12* range is better suited.  At that loft there is no need for a 3w and a couple of hybrids would be preferred over low-lofted irons.  In reality, the player probably can't get adequate height and stopping power out of something less than about 28-30* on an iron anyways.  When push comes to shove I think the vast majority of us really don't need a LW as they do tend to be low-probability shots for the average player.  With that in mind, my setup would be:

12* driver

17-18* fairway wood

21-22* fairway wood

25* hybrid

28* hybrid 

32* 7i

36* 8i

40* 9i

44* PW

54* SW with higher bounce

Putter

I know that is 11 clubs, but I can't see dropping any of these without sacrificing a big hole in the bag.  I guess there's an argument for the 7w to go away but that would be a critical 150-160y card I would imagine for a player of that speed.

Great thoughts and great setup.

My only comment would be... from playing with a few seniors that hit their drives 190-200 yards, they typically hit a 7w the same distance as a 4/5w (about 160 yards total), and they hit the 7w with a lot more height. The 17-18* FW might be redundant.

Play what you enjoy playing and what makes you feel is the best fit for your game!

Doesn’t really matter what anyone else says or thinks about it.

I’ve played most of this season with 12-13 clubs. There’s been rounds that I’ve had 11, and for now I’m back up to 14 while I test out my new set of irons and 3W.

I could easily drop down to 10 clubs, but it’s really all about yardages and shot types that you can produce with each club, and which of those you want to be able to pull out of the bag on the course.

Callaway Rogue ST Max (11*) / Tensei AV White 65 S

Titleist TSi2 (15*) / Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist AP2 714 (4-GW) / Dynamic Gold S300 

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 (35")

WITB on WRX

I’ve been wanting to try a half set, but the only reason I can think of doing it is if I walked. I haven’t carried my own bag in twenty years. How many of you using the 10 club rule walk? The other reason I suppose you can use a half set is if you want the latest and greatest you would only buy odd or even numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Pens #1 fan said:

I’ve been wanting to try a half set, but the only reason I can think of doing it is if I walked. I haven’t carried my own bag in twenty years. How many of you using the 10 club rule walk? The other reason I suppose you can use a half set is if you want the latest and greatest you would only buy odd or even numbers. 

When I play a short bag it's when I walk.

Driver: Adams 9088UL

Fairways: TM V-Steel 

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedge: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Tiger Shark Great White GW-3

56 minutes ago, Pens #1 fan said:

I carry 7 all the time no matter what ... walk, ride, length of course, etc.

• Like 1

D, 3h, 6i, 8i, Pw, Lw, P

I happened across this concept when I was trying to get better at partial shots. I play a little executive course that is 9 holes and 3300 yards. 

I play 

58 -80

50 -105

9i - 132

7i - 161

5i - 181

3h - 225

Gaps are a little off at times but, I learned a lot about partial shots and how to make things work. I carry in an old 90s titleist sunday bag and it is honestly the only way I walk anymore. 

I have played full length courses in this way and it usually ends up with 9 clubs, mainly driver and 3w added to give length options for long par 4s and par 5s. 

• Like 2

Been walking my home course for years now with 10 clubs at 6400 yds.

Its driver then 5 iron thru sw. Big gap between the 5 iron, its actually a Ping Crossover and my driver but I don't  worry about it because I'd rather stick a wedge from 100 yds out on the par 5's. Why make the game any more complicated ? I used go with 14 when riding or playing different courses but didn't put in the practice time for the fairway woods and hybrids so no reason to carry them. You can make an iron do a lot of things with full, 3\4 and half swings. 

• Like 2