Best Srixon irons

dgarland

Best Srixon irons  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just what it says. Which of the recent Srixon iron models is your favorite?  No blades, they’re pretty, just not realistic for a lot of if. 

Titleist TS2 Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Z-965's.

• Like 3

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - Tour AD-IZ 6S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro Wedges (black nitride by Flanigan Bilt) - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S - 52°-10°, 56°-14°, 60°-10°

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

2019 Maxfli Tour - Yellow (transitioning into Vice Pro Plus Shade)

Vessel Player III - Iridium

On 9/24/2022 at 2:37 AM, dgarland said:

Just what it says. Which of the recent Srixon iron models is your favorite?  No blades, they’re pretty, just not realistic for a lot of if. 

I had the z785 and it was great. Most forgiving Player's CB I ever hit.

Switched to the Z-Forged and was shocked to find it wasn't much less forgiving at all. It's a big club, larger than some CBs out there. Just keep that in mind. These Srixon clubs are a cut above. 

• Like 4

SIM (10.5o) (Diamana Blueboard)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

On 9/24/2022 at 6:07 AM, mbbrewer said:

I’ve had 745s for 10 years. Strayed to play the 785s and ZX7s and just sold both to go back to my 745s. The sole is perfect the heads are a little more compact and they are just as forgiving as anything. The new models have just gotten too big for my taste. 

didn’t they come out in 2014? Regardless I’m still gamin z745 just playing a round today and really have no inclination to switch even tho some have rust scars on the soles. I have a set z785s waiting their turn but at this point they’re gonna wait a while haha

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I had the z785 and it was great. Most forgiving Player's CB I ever hit.

Switched to the Z-Forged and was shocked to find it wasn't much less forgiving at all. It's a big club, larger than some CBs out there. Just keep that in mind. These Srixon clubs are a cut above. 

The Z-Forged really are easy to hit, aren't they? I hadn't really noticed the large head size, but now you mention it, I suppose it is quite big. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The Z-Forged really are easy to hit, aren't they? I hadn't really noticed the large head size, but now you mention it, I suppose it is quite big. 

I think my Z-Forged irons are easily as big (if not bigger) than stuff like the Titleist CB and T100 which is mind-blowing. 

TBH, I don't get the purpose of a CB if it's going to be tiny. At some point you might as well just play the blade. 

These Z-Forged irons are very playable. I can't honestly say there's much difference in the 6-Pw that I have versus the z785 set I had for a couple years prior. Whichever you prefer to hit and look at is the set you should get. Playability isn't far apart. 

Maybe people don't need a 3i, 4i or 5i in the blade but look at me, I've got the driving irons there and it's working great. 

• Like 2

SIM (10.5o) (Diamana Blueboard)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

On 9/25/2022 at 10:34 PM, Glock917 said:

didn’t they come out in 2014? Regardless I’m still gamin z745 just playing a round today and really have no inclination to switch even tho some have rust scars on the soles. I have a set z785s waiting their turn but at this point they’re gonna wait a while haha

Yeah I think that’s about right.  I was thinking they came out in 2013 but you catch my drift.  Just trying to point out that despite the new models coming along they are still relevant in terms of their looks and performance.   I just haven’t found anything in the last few years that check all the boxes that the 745s do.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, mbbrewer said:

I’ve had 745s for 10 years. Strayed to play the 785s and ZX7s and just sold both to go back to my 745s. The sole is perfect the heads are a little more compact and they are just as forgiving as anything. The new models have just gotten too big for my taste. 

Always intrigued by this statement. I had the z785 and LOVED them and of course sold them for something new and now want them back😂. But after looking at all the 7 series, I always thought the 785 seemed to be the thinnest out of them all. Would you say 745 is more compact? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, toastinato said:

Always intrigued by this statement. I had the z785 and LOVED them and of course sold them for something new and now want them back😂. But after looking at all the 7 series, I always thought the 785 seemed to be the thinnest out of them all. Would you say 745 is more compact? 

I can’t say for certain as I haven’t measured anything but to my eye the 745 appears to have a shorter blade length and height, slimmer top line less offset but a wider sole.  The toe of the 745 is a little more squared off than the 785 or ZX7 which I prefer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mbbrewer said:

I can’t say for certain as I haven’t measured anything but to my eye the 745 appears to have a shorter blade length and height, slimmer top line less offset but a wider sole.  The toe of the 745 is a little more squared off than the 785 or ZX7 which I prefer. 

Like i mentioned I play z745 and have z785 waiting in the wing and I can tell you all those characteristics are minimal at best. I would need my calipers from work to see a measured difference mainly it’s the sole like you mentioned the biggest difference and the look at address with the squared off toe. In terms of feel I remember an older post mentioning that z745 were endo forged and z785 weren’t but I can’t discernibly tell the difference either. Probably main playing difference is the thinner sole of the z785 can cut through the rough a little better than the z745. Love em both

3 hours ago, Glock917 said:

Like i mentioned I play z745 and have z785 waiting in the wing and I can tell you all those characteristics are minimal at best. I would need my calipers from work to see a measured difference mainly it’s the sole like you mentioned the biggest difference and the look at address with the squared off toe. In terms of feel I remember an older post mentioning that z745 were endo forged and z785 weren’t but I can’t discernibly tell the difference either. Probably main playing difference is the thinner sole of the z785 can cut through the rough a little better than the z745. Love em both

Yup I could see that. The soles on the 745 always seemed large to me. I fell in love with the 785 because they played like a forgiving players iron. The sole was perfect for me because it has the v sole but also was thin so it was kind of best of both worlds for me. I sold them a bit ago and just picked up a set yesterday! Excited to have them back In the bag. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 1:50 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Longer heel to toe than 745, but slightly thinner topline. Z-forged look great at address.

TSi3 9˚ HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black - 44.75"

TSi2 15˚ AV Blue Raw 75S - 42.5"

TSi2 18˚ AV Blue Raw 75S - 42"

Z 745 4-PW - DG S300

(GP BCT)

RTX-4 50M/56F/60L - TI S400

(GP Z-Cord)

SC 2014 Select Newport - iOmic 75G

Pro V1X

I have had combo sets of the 6, 8, and ZX series, and a set of 585s and the 945 blades.  Asking me to pick a best is like asking me to pick my favorite child, you can't as they are all great in their own way....

• Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Sim 2 9 degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0
Ping G410 LST 3W Tensei CK Orange 70 S
Ping G410 5W  Stock Alta S
Srixon ZX5 4-7, ZX7 8-AW Recoil 95 S
RTX Zipcore 56 and Full Face 60,  DG spinner
Nike #3 Oven Proto

Srixon Z Star XV

It's either the 745 or the ZX7.  

I have had them all.  745, 545 Combo.  765, 565 Combo, 785, 585 Combo and now ZX7 and ZX5 combo.

I played the 745, 545 combo forever.  Had a set of the next two iterations, but they weren't as good and they all were sold.  The ZX combo set has been in the bag since they came out, and while I may buy a back-up bag of something else to tinker with, the ZX series are staying as my gamers for the foreseeable future.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - PXG Gen 5 0311 - Diamana S+ 70x or Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • Callaway 19* U Wood  - Ventus Purple X
  • Util - 22* SIM DHY - UST Recoil 110 F5
  • Irons - PXG GEN4 0311T 5 & 6 iron, PXG 0317ST (7-PW) - Elevate Tour X
  • GW - Cleveland ZipCore 50* - UST Recoil 110 F5
  • SW - Mizuno T22 Copper 55* - UST Recoil 110 F5
  • LW - PXG 0311 Forged 60* - UST Recoil 125 Wedge Prototype F5
  • Putters -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter | ER2v Short Slant - BGT Stability 

Clubs in good standing(that rotate in and out)....

•   Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 

Back-up Bag

• Driver - Ping G410 Plus - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • Fairway - Titleist 21* 7 Wood - UST Mamiya Axivcore Black F5
  • Util - Callaway UT 21* - GD AD-DI 95 X
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - UST Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland ZipCore 46, 55, 60* - Recoil 110 F5