Golfers elbow

Having now had both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow I'd say golfer's is the worst.  This came on quite suddenly but for anyone here who has had it I'd ask - what treatment (besides not hitting balls) do you feel helped it heal thee most?  Ice, compression...?  I'll do them all of course but did you find that when you did one particular thing you found the most benefit?  I have an electrostim machine at home I can use but am off visiting my daughter at college this weekend so will have to wait to try that.

In the meantime I'll get an elbow band and see if I can work on my short game and putting without making it worse.  Appreciate any/all responses.

Additionally what was your total recovery time?

Edited by the bishop

Bag 1                                                                              Bag 2

W/S Cortex 10.5* - GD AD Di                                       W/S Cortex 10.5* - GD AD Di

W/S C300 15* - GD AD-F                                             TEE EXS 15* - GD AD-F

W/S C300 20*/23* - GD AD Di                                     TEE C722 19*/21* - GD AD Di
W/S FG Tour CB 5-P  DGS300                                     TEE EXS Pro Blade - TT Elevate Tour VSS
W/S PMP RAW 52/56TG/60TG - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0        TEE EXS Blade Wedge 52/56/60 - DG115

W/S Staff Model BL22                                                   TEE Wingman 706

Golfer's elbow is really a difficult thing to get rid of.  I found the only thing that really helped was a cortisone shot.  I kind of screwed up the first 2 shots due to unavoidable over use (I do a lot of snowblowing during the winter and this past winter was bad).  The 3rd shot was this April and I have religiously worn a tennis/golfer's elbow strap and limited the number of high speed swings (drivers) on the range.  So far so good and I hope to be able to avoid a 4th shot and/or potential nerve relocation surgery.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Steroid injection was instant relief for me but it was temporary.  Switching to graphite in my irons has helped, so have specific exercises.  An internet search for "golfers elbow pt" will bring up some ideas.

If I keep up on the exercises it's better and if I don't it comes back although not as bad as when I was hitting steel shafted irons.  I have an annual exam coming up and I'll probably request another injection. 

I'm at less than 50% of the pain level I was prior to the first and only injection in April.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses @Socrates @bekgolf.  I had a pretty bad case of tennis elbow in my left arm about 10yrs go and took a good 6 mo to fully clear up.  So we'll see how long this one takes.

Bag 1                                                                              Bag 2

W/S Cortex 10.5* - GD AD Di                                       W/S Cortex 10.5* - GD AD Di

W/S C300 15* - GD AD-F                                             TEE EXS 15* - GD AD-F

W/S C300 20*/23* - GD AD Di                                     TEE C722 19*/21* - GD AD Di
W/S FG Tour CB 5-P  DGS300                                     TEE EXS Pro Blade - TT Elevate Tour VSS
W/S PMP RAW 52/56TG/60TG - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0        TEE EXS Blade Wedge 52/56/60 - DG115

W/S Staff Model BL22                                                   TEE Wingman 706

Rest and ice it daily for as long as it takes.  Stop golfing if possible or at least hitting balls. If you are going to golf, use a golfer's elbow band.

Switch immediately to graphite shafts.

Search YouTube for Golfer's elbow strength excercises, there are a few good videos. Only do these once you are healed from the rest and ice. 

I had it really bad 3 years ago... I couldn't even open and close my hand/fingers.

Got mine from repetitive motion at work that started in the fall. When spring came around, I picked up a club and there was immediate pain shooting down my left arm. Used the forearm band that puts pressure on the offended tendon. I wore it at work and playing golf and around the house. It took 6-8 months, but it eventually went away. The key was that I changed that repetitive motion that caused it in the first place. Mine was more of a squeezing motion with the left hand, not from a computer mouse or keyboarding. 

2 hours ago, jobin said:

Keep away from the practice range for one month. Obviously the problem is self-inflicted by hitting golf balls.

Perhaps not in your case, can't tell, but i've read that excessive wanking will weaken the elbows, if poor technique employed.  So do take care.

I'm glad you went there first because I was about to.

If you’re locking your front elbow at address and throughout the swing, just stop doing that. It’s not supposed to be locked. Using one of those Izzo Smooth Swing/Callaway SwingEasy straps around your elbows will stop you from locking your front elbow and also keep it straight and relaxed. Mickey Wright used it all the time in her playing career, didn’t seem to hurt her, did it?

14 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

If you’re locking your front elbow at address and throughout the swing, just stop doing that. It’s not supposed to be locked. Using one of those Izzo Smooth Swing/Callaway SwingEasy straps around your elbows will stop you from locking your front elbow and also keep it straight and relaxed. Mickey Wright used it all the time in her playing career, didn’t seem to hurt her, did it?

She died though.

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @9.5° XCaliber T6+ S 44.5” //  Callaway Berth Mini 1.5 @14° XCaliber FW S 43.5” //  Cobra F8 FWY @16° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 #3 @20° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Cleveland Launcher UHX Utility #4  UST Recoil 95 S // Srixon Z565 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

have been battling golfers elbow (both arms) for the better part of a year. Having tried almost everything people have shared on this forum and various other recommendations, the two things that have helped the most are (1) moving to graphite shafts throughout the set (previously only driver/fairway/hybrid had graphite) and (2) changing my grip (went from interlock to overlap).   Graphite is a very common suggestion. The grip change suggestions came after trying many other remedies and had an almost immediate impact. 

Therabands/bars, stretching, massage, ultrasound, forearm strap, compression sleeves, ice all helped some but the two above seemed most significant and lasting. It is gone completely from one arm and mostly so in the other.  Both are no longer tender when massaging.  Played 90 holes in 5 days on a trip six weeks ago and felt little discomfort. 

Good luck dealing with this as it is very frustrating to have an injury like this. 

5 hours ago, jtmagic said:

have been battling golfers elbow (both arms) for the better part of a year. Having tried almost everything people have shared on this forum and various other recommendations, the two things that have helped the most are (1) moving to graphite shafts throughout the set (previously only driver/fairway/hybrid had graphite) and (2) changing my grip (went from interlock to overlap).   Graphite is a very common suggestion. The grip change suggestions came after trying many other remedies and had an almost immediate impact. 

Therabands/bars, stretching, massage, ultrasound, forearm strap, compression sleeves, ice all helped some but the two above seemed most significant and lasting. It is gone completely from one arm and mostly so in the other.  Both are no longer tender when massaging.  Played 90 holes in 5 days on a trip six weeks ago and felt little discomfort. 

Good luck dealing with this as it is very frustrating to have an injury like this. 

Thanks.  For me this is simply an overuse injury and I feel a fairly minor case.  It just surprised me as it came on very quickly and although I feel it's minor was quite uncomfortable nonetheless.  I'll just taper off the amount I've been practicing, use the compresssion band, ice it and take some naprosyn.  

Here os what mine looked like, the result of a driver swing, a good one.  Strangely there was never any serious pain.

Elbow Injury Bruising.jpg

TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 18*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood 21*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
T.Made R7 CGB Max 4-iron, REAX 55 S
TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, 1* strong, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 49/06, 59/06, Nippon 950H Neo

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 56*, Tour Issue DG S400
TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, Garsen non-taper grip

My best advice is don't take medical advice from random people on the www.  Not criticizing anyone offering help at all, but IMO you want to get this right the first time.

Friend of mine who is an MD suffered from both golfer's and tennis elbow.  He said that steroid injections are controversial, some in the medical literature arguing that they do more harm than good.  He eventually had surgery bilaterally.  That was a couple years ago and he ended up giving up golf as he has never completely recovered.

Battle shields up, here is my advice: Get direction from a good physical therapist, which is probably going to be a combination of rest, ice and/or heat, and gradual strengthening.