Thank you JT

buckeyefl

Just typical match play and one player (SWK) getting in the head of their opponent (JT).

It worked.

• Thanks 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @14.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° XCaliber FW S 42" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° Miyazaki Kuala T8 S 38.5" // Srixon Z565 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Let's go! 🇰🇷

FdhwB9CXoAMoLwp.jpg

GettyImages-1427334409.jpg?quality=75&wi

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/justin-thomas-si-woo-kim-presidents-cup-b2175250.html

Justin Thomas admits Si-woo Kim ‘beat my a--’ after angry reaction to Korean shushing American crowd

https://golf.com/news/justin-thomas-weighs-in-si-woo-kim-shushing-crowd/

“Honestly, at the time, I was pretty pissed off,” he said. “It’s one of those things, I think when you’re in the moment, when you’re on the other side of it, it’s something that gets you motivated, gets you pumped up a little bit. I mean, he hit the shots and made the putts better than I did the last three holes or, really, the last nine holes when he needed to. So I can say whatever I want about it, but he beat me. So he has the upper hand on me.”

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, dfeldss said:

I'm the one overthinking it? Y'all are acting like he walked over and punched the SWK in the face. This stuff happens at every Ryder Cup/Pres Cup and it will continue to happen, and that's what makes these events fun/different from stroke play. It's fun to see these guys get after each other for a change, and if any of them truly had a problem with we'd hear about it. 

Except that wasn't what happened. He didn't smack anyone on the face and he didnt go after anyone, he just gave them rent free space in his head. The point of the post completely went over your head.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Beat me to it.  It’s a form of self deprecation . He plays better mad .  

his trouble is , he externalizes it still. That’s where he has growing to do.  The trick is to internalize it.  Once you figure out how to use it as fuel.  It will make you smile. Watch MJ or bird.  They sought out conflict.  Wanted someone to insult them.  Begged for it.  Because it’s how they leveled up.  He will figure it out.    The lesson tiger can give him is this.  Saying less is more.  Don’t give them the reaction.  Sometimes not even when you win or make a putt.  Indifference confuses most humans.  And in some it strikes fear.  

this is just a case of trying too hard.  Caring too much.  And being mad when you underachieve.  

100% correct and why it was shocking given who his bestie is reported to be.

5 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Wasn't able to lip-read from this video ... what did JT say?

I see Ian Poulter has also joined the discussion!

image.png.0a75cb1db253016c76f9e5018bd205eb.png

Poulter is exactly right. Just tap it in and move on letting your opponent know that it doesn't bother you thus throwing it all back at him. Its a simple but powerful concept.

• Like 2

It is match play. You have to EXPECT your opponent to make you putt out a short one at some point during the match. Be a competitor; go putt it out and show NO emotion.  It is the best way to send a big F%$K you back at your opponent.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Tour AD IZ
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Tour AD IZ
Titleist TS3 Hybrid - Even Flow
Titleist U500 - 4 iron, DG Tour Issue X-100
Titleist T100 5-9, DG Tour Issue X-100
Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW - 46*, 52*, 56*, 60*, DG Tour Issue X-100 & S-400
Scotty Cameron 009 M Carbon

On 9/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, MtlJeff said:

What's funny is i've played in like a hundred match play events with amateurs and i don't think i've ever seen someone make that face, or really get into with anyone over gimmes. I've played in events where almost nothing is given....and we suck compared to these guys

Make a joke or something....i don't know it usually gets the point across. The whole eye roll thing would just make we want to make him putt everything LOL

I like JT for the most part.

Yep. I approach matches with the idea that my opponent won't give me any putts. Personally, I'm pretty reasonable with putts given. But if an opponent started throwing a fit over not having them given, I'd probably make them putt everything out.

Matches are much more about playing the man than in stroke play. And I've actually found that, in regard to conceded putts, doing the opposite of complaining is best. I've had guys say (unprompted), "sorry I just had to see that one" And I'll just respond something like, "no worries at all, I like getting in the practice." Pretty often that actually results in them giving me a putt or two throughout the round that I probably should have had to putt.  

• Like 4

If "gimmes" aren't allowed during stroke play, they shouldn't be allowed in match play, simple enough. If they are allowed, they need to be agreed upon, but never asked for.

It seems US teams always have issues with these things, it comes up in RC play all the time.

Good on SWK for making this dweeb putt everything out, he has shown that he can't make short putts over the years..

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Yep. I approach matches with the idea that my opponent won't give me any putts. Personally, I'm pretty reasonable with putts given. But if an opponent started throwing a fit over not having them given, I'd probably make them putt everything out.

Matches are much more about playing the man than in stroke play. And I've actually found that, in regard to conceded putts, doing the opposite of complaining is best. I've had guys say (unprompted), "sorry I just had to see that one" And I'll just respond something like, "no worries at all, I like getting in the practice." Pretty often that actually results in them giving me a putt or two throughout the round that I probably should have had to putt.  

Used to play in an 8-man team event, 4 pairs, low handicap (4-9) paired with high (10-15). Format was 4 ball betterball match play.  The low I was paired with was a master of subtle gamesmanship. I've played tight matches where he would concede everything for a half upto about three and a half feet for the first 12-13 holes. When it was getting to the business end of the match, if our opponents had a two-footer and expecting to pick up, he would ask them to putt out. The number of times they missed was incredible and once they'd missed it was generally game over. Totally got in their heads.

• Like 4

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

29 minutes ago, mahonie said:

Used to play in an 8-man team event, 4 pairs, low handicap (4-9) paired with high (10-15). Format was 4 ball betterball match play.  The low I was paired with was a master of subtle gamesmanship. I've played tight matches where he would concede everything for a half upto about three and a half feet for the first 12-13 holes. When it was getting to the business end of the match, if our opponents had a two-footer and expecting to pick up, he would ask them to putt out. The number of times they missed was incredible and once they'd missed it was generally game over. Totally got in their heads.

I may or may not have done the same in matches. A short putt when the stakes are high, late in the match, can be a little tougher when the gimmes have been plentiful earlier in the day. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, buckeyefl said:

The question is who was more of a drama queen?

Winning king vs drama queen perhaps?

Ping G430 MAX 9* Ventus Blue TR 7 
Ping G425 MAX 17.5 5 Wood
Ping G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 

Ping G425 23.5 9 Wood
Ping G425 5-PW DGS 105
Ping Glide 3.0  50 56 ZZ115

Vokey SM9 60 LW

Ping Anser

53 minutes ago, shanx said:

If "gimmes" aren't allowed during stroke play, they shouldn't be allowed in match play, simple enough. If they are allowed, they need to be agreed upon, but never asked for.

It seems US teams always have issues with these things, it comes up in RC play all the time.

Good on SWK for making this dweeb putt everything out, he has shown that he can't make short putts over the years..

Here's the problem:  match must be played in turns.  So if I cozy it up to a foot, I have to mark it, because playing out of turn(which is what I would be doing if I knock it in) entitles you to have me cancel my stroke and replay it.

The gimme keeps a match moving.

31 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Here's the problem:  match must be played in turns.  So if I cozy it up to a foot, I have to mark it, because playing out of turn(which is what I would be doing if I knock it in) entitles you to have me cancel my stroke and replay it.

The gimme keeps a match moving.

Interesting, I didn't know about that. Might have to pull that one out next time we are playing matches..

Has anyone ever made someone retake a putt because of this rule? 

17 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Wasn't able to lip-read from this video ... what did JT say?

I see Ian Poulter has also joined the discussion!

image.png.0a75cb1db253016c76f9e5018bd205eb.png

Poulter is exactly right. Just tap it in and move on letting your opponent know that it doesn't bother you thus throwing it all back at him. Its a simple but powerful concept.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shanx said:

Interesting, I didn't know about that. Might have to pull that one out next time we are playing matches..

Has anyone ever made someone retake a putt because of this rule? 

I haven't because it's either so close I've given it to them, or far enough away they've marked anyway.

Where it really comes into play in match play is further out.  A guy plays out of turn, holes out a shot, you have every right to make him re hit it.  There are those who would argue it's a jackwagon thing to do(I'm not one of them, it's not my fault you don't know the rules), but you are well within your rights to do so.

1 hour ago, buckeyefl said:

Surely.

It happened in the Solheim cup on a shot years ago..

Was that when Annika chipped in from off the green and then the American team asked for a measure?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8