2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2022 Ascendant LPGA (Sep 29 - Oct 02)

Argonne69

On 9/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, Raving Shanker said:

Sei Young Kim, what the Hell was that? That was some pretty awful all-round golf. I have my theories about her psychological approach to golf, but I've said them before.

Looks like the Jutarnugarns want to play the CME championship after all!

14 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Wow . . . some really bad juju going on for the feature group of Brooke, Nelly, and SYK!  Lots of ground to make up -- but these three can do it!   

Admirable R2 bouncebacks from Henderson and Sei Young Kim? I didn't manage to catch their last 2 hours of R2 (their back9) ... looks like a birdie fest!

image.png.edbdadf7f94aaca9c785e15295f2258b.png

image.png.53297d56a94d8cd9ce1e1d192958d25c.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Rapidcat I didn’t see Lexi’s interview ‘Live’…

Why “top-notch” =because of this fan interaction? Or some other reason?

@JungleJimbo Lexi's interaction with her young girl fan was terrific but it is more than that - she is articulate and almost always gives something up about herself worth listening to (dependent on the interviewer's questions).

Discounting the non-native English speakers, many who do a decent job just being able to give a coherent response in English and aside from Lydia's truth bomb 🙂, many (not all) of the others just talk but say nothing of any real interest.

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

56 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Admirable R2 bouncebacks from Henderson and Sei Young Kim? I didn't manage to catch their last 2 hours of R2 (their back9) ... looks like a birdie fest!

image.png.edbdadf7f94aaca9c785e15295f2258b.png

image.png.53297d56a94d8cd9ce1e1d192958d25c.png

Well, they partially got bush whacked by the weather but not all can be blamed on it.  When you're 11 and 9 over par on holes during the 18 and still make 3 and 4 birdies respectively, sure the weather wasn't helping you but you also had bigger problems that day lol.  Brooke just changed her profile pic to dressed in black (I like it) and now I need Jeeno in all black and pair her with Sei Young and Brooke and my  3 faves would make an intimating group 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I've been watching it on YT. Quite a boring looking course  - looks like a municipal public golf course. What a contrast to courses like the Evian and several other pretty courses with attractive trees and more hilly sculpted landscaping. 

It's North Texas, y'all. Fast, firm, open, Bermuda grass in the "Fall". Small greens with lots of movement. Eight yard chips to tight pins can set you off!! 🙂

Edited by Redpro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Janet near the top of the leaderboard again. She's had a good stretch recently. Time for her first win?

Nelly with two missed cuts in a row. Minjee missed the cut at the Hana in South Korea. Some days the game looks so easy, and others days it kicks you in the head.

I saw Nelly holding her face in her hands after a few shots, and when finished putting out. Maybe used the wrong sauce on her BBQ? She looked, as we say here . . . a bit peak-ed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redpro said:

I was there Thursday and Friday. I paid for Lot A parking next to the clubhouse. No one scanned my ticket or checked. I walked under some ropes to the 9th fairway. I paid for 4 days, and just decided to go by the main entrance and have my ticket scanned. Then a security guard checked by backpack (water and a sammich). residents just walk on, as do walkers and joggers from the neighborhood. 

No food trucks near the clubhouse for spectators. There was one truck for BBQ, but volunteers only. One find truck by #3, and two lousy chicken trucks by #17.

I wandered by the driving range after asking directions. Got there and was told that spectators weren't allowed.

I walked over to the Tribute clubhouse where the pro's were putting, and near the 1st tee. After watching them putt, I walked to the 1st tee, and then back to #18 green, and then back to the putting green. A security guard asked for my credentials. I said I was a spectator, like everyone around me, and was watching a golf tournament. 

Each hole at Old American is separate from the others. Green to tee distances are long walks. You can get close on some tees, but not much else, #8 green, okay.

I'm going Saturday and Sunday also. The course has one road in and out to the course. Might certainly be a traffic jam on the weekend. 

I'd like to see them at a more intimate venue, so the players can see fans massing and cheering. No alcohol available except at those two chicken truck area, called "Casamigos". 

Oh well, it's golf and those ladies can play!! 

IMG_7967.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

IMG_7977.jpeg

IMG_7987.jpeg

IMG_8009.jpeg

IMG_8010.jpeg

I paid for lot A on Thursday which was $30 because on the website they said parking was only available at Hawaiian Falls which about 10 minutes away. There is a middle school about 5 minutes away with parking but that is only available on weekends.

Much to my dismay they had $10 parking onsite in a better lot. They definitely need to work on that. The $10 lot has been where they’ve always had parking and just figured it might have

been used to build more houses or something.

Furthermore they blocked in the cars on lot A there was no path to get back to the entrance so I had to get out by squeezing through spaces of cars that had left. I’m not sure the man directing parking had thought it out. 

I only went Thursday but when I got my ticket scanned they said it had already been scanned at 7:54 am. 

You are right, there are long walks but you can get really close to the players because everyone is walking with them. One year, Ingee Chun was fist bumping and high fiving everyone between holes 5 and 6. Of course, there are shuttles  for the players between some of the longer distances as well.

I’ve always wonder why they moved from the course in Irving to far north DFW metro? The course in Irving was right in the heart of the metroplex, near the convention center with tons of parking, hotel and dining options. This course is about 10-15 minutes from any decent cluster of hotels/dining.As far as the condition of the course, this is next to a lake. All you need to do is look at the soil to realize the natural ecosystem has been severely disturbed. There are patches where you see dark, rich soil that easily retains moisture when allowed to. I noticed this the first year I went and it had rained just a couple inches the day before but it was almost like the grass was a layer detached from the soil which in essence is a lakebed.

Last year there were bare patches on fairways supposedly because of winter storms but again, it doesn’t take months and months to grow grass on a fairway usually but it did last year because this again is built on a lakebed that is drying out and any “excess” moisture seems to wreck havoc.

I do like the course though but being next to a huge lake, complicates things. I imagine houses here will start having foundation issues due to lakebed terrain.  All day on Thursday you would see groups of predatory birds gliding above the course and I like that parts of the course have been left in their natural state. It feels like you are on a prairie with few people or a forest in some parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

@JungleJimbo Lexi's interaction with her young girl fan was terrific but it is more than that - she is articulate and almost always gives something up about herself worth listening to (dependent on the interviewer's questions).

Discounting the non-native English speakers, many who do a decent job just being able to give a coherent response in English and aside from Lydia's truth bomb 🙂, many (not all) of the others just talk but say nothing of any real interest.

That was a nice gesture by Lexi with the young girl.

Still need Lexi to answer a few questions after a disappointing finish and not run to the kids for cover.

Has Lexi's putting grip changed again recently? I'm thinking she's changed it once or twice a season since 2020.

Just now, Argonne69 said:

I played both courses a few years ago. I agree, both where enjoyable and challenging.

Now, I could have used a little better weather. Dallas is not the place to visit for golf in mid-December. The temperature barely broke 40 degrees. 

spacer.png

So, you got to enjoy North Texas winter weather.  🙂  As you obviously experienced, it can get pretty brutal there that time of year -  cold wind blowing off the lake and fast and firm dormant bermuda grass.   It will test your game for sure. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

So, you got to enjoy North Texas winter weather.  🙂  As you obviously experienced, it can get pretty brutal there that time of year -  cold wind blowing off the lake and fast and firm dormant bermuda grass.   It will test your game for sure. 

I can well imagine that it tests your game! Probably a good test for the LPGA judging by the scores. I still think it looks like a municipal golf course. Never been there or even to Texas. 

I don't know about you, but I cringe every time I see a pro nonchalantly tap in a putt one handed. A missed putt could be a 10+ thousand dollar mistake at that level. 'Not saying they should mark a 6 inch putt, but don't one hand it. Lol. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't know about you, but I cringe every time I see a pro nonchalantly tap in a putt one handed. A missed putt could be a 10+ thousand dollar mistake at that level. 'Not saying they should mark a 6 inch putt, but don't one hand it. Lol. 

Likewise...... I've seen quite a few missed, from Tiger down. Just seems senseless. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

I traveled to Houston in mid-December a few years back for a few rounds of golf. My flight got in late after a weather delay. I had reserved a full size rental car so my clubs would easily fit in the trunk, but when I arrived they had one car left, a two door sports car. My clubs barely fit in the passenger seat. It was 39 degrees and raining. Apparently Dallas had gotten several inches of snow, and flights were diverted to Houston. Rather than wait for connecting flights, many rented cars and drove north to Dallas. 

I had five rounds booked. The first two at The Woodlands were played in a cold rain. The next morning was dry, but it was 38 degrees. The third day at The GC of Houston was sunny and 42. As bad as it was, I was glad that I didn't book a trip to Dallas. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Lol. I agree, Grant. Lydia is a magician. Now, if she could just avoid the fairway bunkers, more of those putts would be for birdies, and not par saves. 

I don't know about you, but I think I'm getting spoiled. Once again we have 14 players within five shots of the leaders. Six of them are looking for their first win. Plenty of drama expected. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Route 66 said:

I know its further north than Houston, etc., but Geographically speaking, Dallas/FTW doesn't exactly look like "North Texas" as I have always thought of north Texas being further north like Amarillo!  But, I guess the climate is significantly different as it is not on the balmy Gulf of Mexico. 

3 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I know its further north than Houston, etc., but Geographically speaking, Dallas/FTW doesn't exactly look like "North Texas" as I have always thought of north Texas being further north like Amarillo!  But, I guess the climate is significantly different as it is not on the balmy Gulf of Mexico. 

I get your point.  But, the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is definitely known as and referred to as "North Texas".   I lived there for about 15 years and got to experience some pretty cold winters.   Football fans will remember the 2011 Super Bowl when we got ice storms and freezing temperatures for about two weeks leading up to and during Super Bowl week.  The area got about five inches of snow along with ice storms which basically shut everything down leading up to the game.   A bunch of flights were cancelled, all the golf courses closed for a few weeks, and most of the events and festivities associated with the game were cancelled.  It was a mess.  

Technically speaking, Amarillo is referred to as the Texas Panhandle.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

I believe the field is already set. She's listed as one of the entries on the LPGA website.  Not sure if it's a finalized version so I may be wrong. 

I updated my post, please read.

The field has been changing every Monday.  The entry deadline is Friday, October 14 and the field will be based on CME ranking as of Monday, October 10.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

I get your point.  But, the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is definitely known as and referred to as "North Texas".   I lived there for about 15 years and got to experience some pretty cold winters.   Football fans will remember the 2011 Super Bowl when we got ice storms and freezing temperatures for about two weeks leading up to and during Super Bowl week.  The area got about five inches of snow along with ice storms which basically shut everything down leading up to the game.   A bunch of flights were cancelled, all the golf courses closed for a few weeks, and most of the events and festivities associated with the game were cancelled.  It was a mess.  

Technically speaking, Amarillo is referred to as the Texas Panhandle.  

Which once again displays the logic the PGA of America used moving headquarters there.

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Looks to be interesting tomorrow!  I am going to unabashedly cheer for Janet to win.  She has been playing so well (relatively) and it would be nice to see her win on the LPGA and kinda stick it to Mizuno USA.  🤣     

I know it's your schtick, but could you please use the player's names in there somewhere?  

I have to root for Charley Hull, because any player who says it's cheating to play golf without blades is my kind of golfer.  If not her, So Yeon Ryu.