In defence of blades

Jack lives here

I have read Terry Koehler article "in defence of blades" a couple of times.

I find myself agreeing with Terry in particular in relation to the short irons.

My combo set is now 5,6,7 irons Gauge Studio Hand mades

8,9, P Mizuno S-30 power blades.

I did put the S-30 7 iron in the bag for a short period but liked the Gauge 7 iron better.

Neither set is relatively new, however it if fair to say the Gauge irons are game improvement and the Mizunos blades.

Essentially I'm interested in the views of others in relation to a combo set make up. 

I play 4-5 CB's, and 6-PW blades. Why? Because that was the makeup of the set I bought.

I previously played VR Pro Blades for about 8 years, 3-PW. Once I got to my early 50's, I rarely hit good 3 irons from the fairway. Never had a problem with the 4 iron, though.

Last year, at 57, decided to try a set of 2015 OnOff Kuro forged for the added forgiveness. What I found, at least for me, was that the added forgiveness was minimal, and only really apparent on toe strikes, which for me, occur about once every 2 rounds. And they just didn't have the feel I was accustomed to from the blades.

So, I went looking for a combo set, to take advantage of that minimal bit of help in the long irons, and get the feel of the blades.

Most combo sets start with blades at the 7 or 8 iron, but I was lucky to find a set that had 6-PW blades, and I love them. And the Srixon soft feel is incredible.

As for anyone that claims blades help them focus, good for them. It doesn't help me at all. Just spent a few days on a golf trip, playing as a single. When playing alone, I find my focus is garbage. When I get paired up with strangers, my focus gets much better, as I want to look like I know what I'm doing, and I can play some really good golf.

Bottom line. Blades are not hard to play. Focus comes from within, not from the clubs. And a little bit of forgiveness can't make up for a couple OB drives a round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - Tour AD-IZ 6S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro Wedges (black nitride by Flanigan Bilt) - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S - 52°-10°, 56°-14°, 60°-10°

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

2019 Maxfli Tour - Yellow (transitioning into Vice Pro Plus Shade)

Vessel Player III - Iridium

A never ending "debate" that has been going on for 50 years.  People, just play with whatever suits you.

• Like 1

TE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

I like blades 😃. Sometimes i come up 5 yards short specially in long irons 😔. They feel great 😊. More control 😃.

Sometimes i wonder if they cost me a shot or two 😥. Ive played other types of irons though and still wondered that sometimes 🤔.  I guess just play what you like even if its blades that might come up 5 yards short sometimes and just choose the right club number 😎

Edited by iNeedMoreGolf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, anser85029 said:

A never ending "debate" that has been going on for 50 years.  People, just play with whatever suits you.

That’s too easy, especially on here. Seems as though most of the ones playing “blades” are awful shiny. Take a gander over at the WITB section. I scratch my head sometimes wondering if they’ve ever been hit.🤣🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack lives here said:

Essentially I'm interested in the views of others in relation to a combo set make up. 

I went with 3,4,5 game improvement and 6-PW blades.  I picked blades in the short irons because my swing flaw is a bit of a flip at the bottom, resulting in high launch and the blades were giving me lower launch than the game improvement irons.  As for where I decided to make the split, 6 iron seemed to me to be the longest club where I was pretty consistently finding the center of the face, so I felt like I didn't need any help from 6 iron on down. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: currently accepting applications...
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34", 80g TourLock Pro+ counter weight
Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

That’s too easy, especially on here. Seems as though most of the ones playing “blades” are awful shiny. Take a gander over at the WITB section. I scratch my head sometimes wondering if they’ve ever been hit.🤣🤣

I picked up a set of MP-4 for $300 pre-pandemic that were barely even hit, gotta love it 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I like blades 😃. Sometimes i come up 5 yards short specially in long irons 😔. They feel great 😊. More control 😃.

Sometimes i wonder if they cost me a shot or two 😥. Ive played other types of irons though and still wondered that sometimes 🤔.  I guess just play what you like even if its blades that might come up 5 yards short sometimes and just choose the right club number 😎

Few yards short AND online towards the target I’ll take all day! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, boggyman said:

hmmm.....

• Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

3W: Rogue ST LS 16.5 '22 Tensei AV Blue 75x

3H: Sub70 939X UST Proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: 2021 Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

except when that lake is just a few yards short of the green.....    or the bunker.....  or some type of waste area that is nasty.....  😂

For my set I'm using T200 for 5 and 6 irons and then T100S 7-GW.    so a combo set that works well for me.  

Edited by larryd3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

SIM2 Max (testing Stealth and it's winning!)
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T200  5 & 6

Titleist T100S 7-gap 
54* & 58* Vokey SM9
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft

Went to my first fitting in 1996 wanting a set of Ping Eye 2s. All my mates were playing them and I wanted in. Bit of backstory... I'd been playing for 15 years at this stage, mostly with a mongrel set of mis-matched, no name clubs. I'd learned to hit the ball with a blade 8-iron and blade 3-iron when I was 11. I was playing to about an 18 handicap at the time.

Back to the fitting...

I was hitting every shot with the Eye 2s miles left...couldn't adjust to the offset. Fitter could feel a sale slipping away after I'd tried all the GI type clubs so he gave me a Wilson Staff club in desperation. My first thought was that there was no way I could afford these but I'd hit it anyway. Pured it and kept on puring it. I took the time to hit the 3-iron, 5-iron and all the way through down to SW (you used to get 8 irons as standard back then!). They were perfection, but I still didn't think I could afford them. The fitter then offered me a stupid trade-in price for a box set of Slazengers that I had that allowed me to add a King Cobra titanium driver. That Wilson Staff set was the Progressives, 3-6 iron were players CBs, 7-SW were blades. I played them for 12 years and had some great rounds with them.

Currently I swap between the combo Cobras and MP4s in my sig...my best scores are all with the MP4s and they really should be in the bag all of the time based on results. However, my worst scores are also with the MP4s with the Cobras settling in the middle ground. Swapping between them is akin to retail therapy...just having something different and new in the bag makes me play better...sometimes...for a short time.

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

59 minutes ago, larryd3 said:

except when that lake is just a few yards short of the green.....    or the bunker.....  or some type of waste area that is nasty.....  😂

For my set I'm using T200 for 5 and 6 irons and then T100S 7-GW.    so a combo set that works well for me.  

Whatever works…..and by short, I’m speaking of the stick, not the green. I’ll carry enough stick to get there, the rest is up the the golfer gripping the stick, whatever he chooses, SGI, GI, CB, MB, makes no difference to me what anyone else bags. FWIW, a fairly new golfer in our group chose Stealth irons over the new CALLY SGI Rogue due to the top line being too thick on the Cally. Go figure!! He was playing HALO XL all hybrid set. 

Edited by boggyman

My first 'combo' set was Hogan FTX, I'm now in Cally Apex Combo set, very happy with either, obviously modern Cally set is more tech advanced and therefore longer and more forgiving.

Depending on your preference and skill level, 7 or 8 iron is good starting point for blades, IMO

Rogue Max 9.5

Epic Speed 4w

Epic Hybrids 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

8 minutes ago, boggyman said:

You hit it pin high every shot? #askingforaSGIiron🤫🤣🤣

no but i did stay at a holiday in express last night.

Just thinking of a mix CB/MB set that is MOI matched

• Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

3W: Rogue ST LS 16.5 '22 Tensei AV Blue 75x

3H: Sub70 939X UST Proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: 2021 Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

no but i did stay at a holiday in express last night.

Just thinking of a mix CB/MB set that is MOI matched

I’ve played everything from SGI all hybrid sets to my current blades that are from the 80s. I just have better luck with the blades and can’t explain as to why. I don’t hardly look at other bags anymore at the course. Most of our group are always migrating towards me and our son to see what’s new driver or putter wise. I don’t blame or shame anyone for the clubs. they’re playing. Like anything else, it’s what makes the world go round at the end of the day, correct?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

In terms of 8-9-PW type irons i don't think there is any real difference for the vast majority of players. So i'd say anyone could really use combo sets

I would say forgiveness/confidence concerns probably starts for most around 6/7 irons, but that's just my opinion

Agreed, that is where I cross over. J40 CBs aren't blades mind you, but they have a similar MOI (lower than some blades actually) so I consider them functionally the same. Thicker soles though which I like!

1 hour ago, Jim E said:

Hosel rockets don’t go nearly as far right with blades as they do with SGI irons. 

Everyone talks about loft creep but no one talks about hosel creep. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR 6TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti 16.5* Ventus Blue 7TX || Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Kuro Kage DCXM Prototype 80TX 
Callaway Apex UW 19* Diamana S+ 100TX || Taylormade P790 Black 19* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95x Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Having a reflection moment.  Years back, I was playing 670 MBs.  Long about 2005 Titleist introduced 735CM irons.  They were a really nice-looking set of blended irons, so I bought 2-PW and had 6.5 Rifles installed.  Put the 670 MBs away.  Irons 5-7 were shallow CB's almost blades so workable, and pure 8-PW blades were fantastic.  Specs then were actually similar to my 620 series irons today.  They were beautiful clubs.

The trouble was 2i-4i were full deep cavity backs with more offset than I am used to.  So forgiving, I had trouble moving the ball left and right.  The nature of forgiving CB is to keep the ball flying relatively straight.  If I took time to adjust, shots turned out fine.  The difficulty was when playing in tournaments or $$$ games.  That's when I am all feel/instinct.  I do NOT want to think about setup, or adapt to the clubs; clubs should adapt to my style of play, so after a year or so, sold them.

To the OP, if the combo set properly melts no problem.  If they don't meld, the user will experience issues that affect shots, and maybe not detect what's causing the problem.

To experience a real pure blended set check out 620 MB & CB irons.  Titleist 620 CBs were intentionally designed, including specs, to blend with MBs. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TSi2, 10' Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6
  • Titleist TS2, 16.5 Ventus Velocore Red 6
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM2
  • Titleist 620 3i-PW MMT 105s
  • SM9 F-52/12, MMT 105s SW
  • SM9 M-58/8, MMT 105s SW
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Combo set can work out very well as I used to have one.  Makes sense to want more forgiveness in the long irons.  I play blades atm but they are more GI than traditional mb.  More offset and a little longer heel to toe but can still work the ball if needed. 

TM Stealth Plus+ 9* - Diamana TB 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

54* Miura HB - KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura - KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

People seriously overstate the difficulty of blades. I played a set of Z785/Z Forged and hit em great but had a slump with my irons and couldn't hit s***. Edge of the toe where there's no grooves, massive chunks, all around garbage. Swapped to J33 CB heads thinking I'd need some additional forgiveness while also making swing changes. Hit those great. I recently got a set of 718 MBs to use for PGA section tourneys since the J33s are non-conforming, and about 5 rounds in I'm hitting them just as great as the J33s. I could very easily still be playing those Srixons right now too but I bought into the bs stigma "oh maybe I need a full cb set not a combo with blades!" These were all with the same shafts and specs also.

Play what you want to play people. I see all these people so obsessed with MOI numbers trying to eek out every last ounce of forgiveness and find the perfect combo set with multiple irons and just think why? We're not on tour where these guys can hit just about any yardage with any club on command (everyone saw the vid of Scheffler being within a yard of his carry distances). It's not the end of the world if you're a mm or two off the center. Just work on your swing.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Titleist TS2 21° - GD Purple Ice 85X

Titleist 718 MB 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54S - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

On 9/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, anser85029 said:

Agreed. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX

3W&5W: Callaway  Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash 6,7 Big Bertha

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 8-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Zebra AIT1