Anyone try the new Ping Anser 2D?

Forged5

Really liked the soft feel and the weights for stability/ forgiveness in the Anser 21.

How does the 2D compare? 

prefer the cleaner all black look of the 2023 Anser 2D (but can’t find it to demo yet)

as soft?

as stable?

not too bulky as it’s a double wide?

how’s the graphite shaft?

currently play the QB6. Love the look behind the ball but would like more stability.

thanks and FORE!

Edited by Forged5

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (tbd*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 4 hybrid (tbd*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-5 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 
“ 6 hcp and going down!!! 60 years old and going up!!!” Lol

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Forged5 said:

Really liked the soft feel and the weights for stability in the Anser 21.

How does the 2D compare? 

prefer the cleaner all black look of the 2023 Anser 2D (but can’t find it to demo yet)

as soft?

as stable?

not too bulky as it’s a double wide?

how’s the graphite shaft?

currently play the QB6. Love the look behind the ball but would like more stability.

thanks and FORE!

i tried it in store.  looks great.  i dont like plumbers necks but i saw it and wanted to hit it.  thin top line, not bulky.  pretty stable.  I like a firm face so it was too soft for me

Way better feel than the 2021 putters though

The milled face putters in the line up i really liked

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Unteachable said:

i tried it in store.  looks great.  i dont like plumbers necks but i saw it and wanted to hit it.  thin top line, not bulky.  pretty stable.  I like a firm face so it was too soft for me

Way better feel than the 2021 putters though

The milled face putters in the line up i really liked

Super to hear. Thanks!

When you say better feeling than 21, do you mean harder feeling insert?

Anyone else?

Edited by Forged5

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 

I would echo a lot of what Unteachable said. I prefer firmer feeling putters so I prefer the feel of the 2023 PING milled putters over the PING 2023 insert putters. 
I would say though, that the Anser 2D felt soft but not as soft as the 2021 line. It felt more stable than the 2021 line as well. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sean289 said:

I would echo a lot of what Unteachable said. I prefer firmer feeling putters so I prefer the feel of the 2023 PING milled putters over the PING 2023 insert putters. 
I would say though, that the Anser 2D felt soft but not as soft as the 2021 line. It felt more stable than the 2021 line as well. 

More stable is very interesting.

I’ve been a milled putter guy forever. Prefer the nicer look and quality craftsmanship. 

But I’m starting to have the need for more forgiveness (stability) and a softer feel. The 21 Anser, with its heel and toe plugs, felt extremely stable and point-and-shoot to me. Surprisingly so! Plus I put the same stroke and got the same distance.

Just not crazy about all the colors. the newer 2D is a widebody very similar to my QB6.

I don’t mind an insert as the 21 anser feels like it’s giving me more control rather than skidding off the hard face of a harder milled putter… If you guys know what I mean. As long as the insert doesn’t start screwing around with my distance control.

Of course everything I’m describing is about feel which is very subjective.

Edited by Forged5

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 

1 hour ago, Forged5 said:

I’ve been a milled putter guy forever. Prefer the nicer look and quality craftsmanship. 

But I’m starting to have the need for more forgiveness (stability) and a softer feel. The 21 Anser, with its heel and toe plugs, felt extremely stable and point-and-shoot to me. Surprisingly so! Plus I put the same stroke and got the same distance.

Just not crazy about all the colors. the newer 2D is a widebody very similar to my QB6.

I don’t mind an insert as the 21 anser feels like it’s giving me more control rather than skidding off the hard face of a harder milled putter… If you guys know what I mean. As long as the insert doesn’t start screwing around with my distance control.

When I say more stable, I mean that the 2023 Anser 2D appears to be more stable to me compared to the 2021 Anser. I realise that these 2 putters aren’t the exact same between headsize and headweight. As a result, your mileage may vary and sorry if I misled you. That wasn’t my intention.
I would say that most mallets for me would be more stable than the 2023 Anser 2D but I presume the wider and larger footprint of the Anser 2D will naturally be more stable than the smaller Anser. 

Feel as you said is very subjective. I’ve been using the Spider X and the Spider EX for the last year or so.

Sorry that I can’t give you much feedback about the insert of the PING 2023 putters as I naturally gravitated towards the milled putters in the line up. The 2023 Prime Tyne looks and feels fantastic but at a headweight of 365g, I think I’ll have to pass on it. Based on what you said about your experience with the 2021 Anser, the 2023 Anser 2D could be a great fit for you. 

you will probably like a lot.  It is not anywhere near as wide as the Queen B 6 though

Yes, feel is very subjective.

I had some trouble getting used to the soft 2021 face. Took a bit of getting used to to "trust" the ball would come off at a normal rate even though the face felt SO soft.

2023 inserts, as in the 2D feel considerably firmer to me than the '21 face. No grooves on the new one. The milled metal face is a bit firmer still than the insert face but does nothing for me.

I was anxious to try the 2D as I like both Anser styles and felt the deeper back flange would help a little with forgiveness.

Not bad, not bad at all. I'd definitely consider it but I just recently bought a PLD Anser. Have it only 2 rounds now and it's behaving itself nicely so no need for anything new(er),,,,,,,,,,,,, yet. :classic_rolleyes:

@Unteachable I assume you meant the QB6 is DEEPER (front-to-back) than the 2D.

The 2D is definitely longer/wider(?) heel-to-toe than the QB 6, but I'm pretty sure the QB6 is "deeper".

Snap quiz (no Googling) - who knows what Radar is saying in my avatar ?)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tour AD TP

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP

Adams Idea Pro 20* Aldila Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 56, 60, DGS300

Axis-1 Tour 34" (Today)

Bridgestone Tour BX

20 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I had some trouble getting used to the soft 2021 face. Took a bit of getting used to to "trust" the ball would come off at a normal rate even though the face felt SO soft.

2023 inserts, as in the 2D feel considerably firmer to me than the '21 face. No grooves on the new one. The milled metal face is a bit firmer still than the insert face but does nothing for me.

I was anxious to try the 2D as I like both Anser styles and felt the deeper back flange would help a little with forgiveness.

Not bad, not bad at all. I'd definitely consider it but I just recently bought a PLD Anser. Have it only 2 rounds now and it's behaving itself nicely so no need for anything new(er),,,,,,,,,,,,, yet. :classic_rolleyes:

The 2D is definitely longer/wider(?) heel-to-toe than the QB 6, but I'm pretty sure the QB6 is "deeper".

your assumption is correct;  both i guess are considered wide blades compared to a traditional anser.  The qb6 is wider.  The 2d is longer heel to toe

15 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Thanks for the input 🙂

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 

15 hours ago, Unteachable said:

you will probably like a lot.  It is not anywhere near as wide as the Queen B 6 though

That might be great!. Much appreciated 🙂

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Sean289 said:

When I say more stable, I mean that the 2023 Anser 2D appears to be more stable to me compared to the 2021 Anser. I realise that these 2 putters aren’t the exact same between headsize and headweight. As a result, your mileage may vary and sorry if I misled you. That wasn’t my intention.
I would say that most mallets for me would be more stable than the 2023 Anser 2D but I presume the wider and larger footprint of the Anser 2D will naturally be more stable than the smaller Anser. 

Feel as you said is very subjective. I’ve been using the Spider X and the Spider EX for the last year or so.

Sorry that I can’t give you much feedback about the insert of the PING 2023 putters as I naturally gravitated towards the milled putters in the line up. The 2023 Prime Tyne looks and feels fantastic but at a headweight of 365g, I think I’ll have to pass on it. Based on what you said about your experience with the 2021 Anser, the 2023 Anser 2D could be a great fit for you. 

More stable. WOW!.

Again was pleasantly surprised how stable the anser 21 was. 

Thanks and Cheers mate from Canada! 

Edited by Forged5

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6

PROV1 x yellow 

Posted (edited)

Finally got to see a 2D in person. Sadly it’s right handed but I play left.

Here’s  a side by side next to an Anser 2021

same length. Obviously deeper but agree it’s probably not as deep as my QB6.

felt like a slightly heavier head. Did feel a tiny bit firmer, but not by much, but still relatively soft.

Dropped almost everything W the Anser 21. Hopefully the 2D will be as good, if not more so. 

will order one online.

thanks all again!

FORE!

AA3BBA5A-3695-4586-95B8-BBA750002880.jpeg

Edited by Forged5

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Queen B6