Professional Long Drive Competition 2022

kelpie

2 hours ago, kelpie said:

DIdn't see a thread for this. Pretty impressive for Bryson to make it to the final of the PLDA Long Drive World Championship and lost to his buddy Martin Borgmeier yesterday. You have to hand it to him, that’s an impressive display for a guy who does long drive as a hobby! Can't understand why Golf Channel stopped covering this, was a fun event to watch on YouTube.

It seems to be his main thing now.  He hasn’t been there in a major since Winged Foot.  He should have way more wins than he has.  He’s underperforming his talent.  

I watched it. Really impressive how consistent Bryson was throughout the contest. Also to place 2nd is really amazing when you consider his ball speed is considerably slower than most of the other competitors. 

Edited by pdxhak

PXG 0811X Gen4

Honma TR21 3 Wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Honma TW W4 52, 56

PXG BR Bat Attack

11 hours ago, kelpie said:

DIdn't see a thread for this. Pretty impressive for Bryson to make it to the final of the PLDA Long Drive World Championship and lost to his buddy Martin Borgmeier yesterday. You have to hand it to him, that’s an impressive display for a guy who does long drive as a hobby! Can't understand why Golf Channel stopped covering this, was a fun event to watch on YouTube.

The distance enthusiasm in golf has died down significantly over the last year because DeChambeau has not maintained his form on Tour (whether it's due to lack of form or injury).

If he kept on winning more titles, more emphasis/exposure would be put on "long bombs".

Come On What GIF by DraftKings

I watched a little on Saturday. The coverage was appalling. All of the networks should purchase the program and play this on their channels just to show how bad things actually can be. Just awful!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist U510 1 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD-DI
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

36 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel. 

My wife had Strictly Come Dancing (aka Dancing With the Stars) I watched that rather than the Long Drive because the coverage was so poor!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

28 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

My wife had Strictly Come Dancing (aka Dancing With the Stars) I watched that rather than the Long Drive because the coverage was so poor!!

No surprise.   We're starting to see an all too common theme in ANY golf coverage. 

BAD.

I love that show's title, "Strictly Come Dancing." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fast Eddie Fernandez ,,, most impressive competitor 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Blueboard Tour Issue 53x

Ping G400 3w 14.5* Whiteboard 63x & 5w 18.1* Blueboard 73x

Ping G425 4h 22* Diamana ‘Ahina 70x

Callaway ‘16 Apex 26* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Ping Rapture J Spec 6 & 7i s55 8 - PW SteelFiber 95s

Ping Glide OG 48* SF 110s Glide wrx 53* & 59* SF 125s

Ping Tour W 63* Steelfiber 125s : Scotty GoLo 7

I wish they would televise the events again. They are fun to watch. I know alot of people don't care for Bryson but I like that he has the cajones to compete in long drive. As a big baseball fan I compare it to the home run derby during all star week. It's a show of talent and, strength, and raw ability. Having competed in one long drive event I can say that it is not easy. Imagine hitting a fairway roughly half as wide as your normal driving distance. That is effectively what they are trying to do at 400 yards. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

I watched a little on Saturday. The coverage was appalling. All of the networks should purchase the program and play this on their channels just to show how bad things actually can be. Just awful!

Get used to it, that is the future of coverage.  It may be appalling to you, but it was laid back, genuine and fun.  More and more people are rejecting stuffy, old school whispering golf announcers.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

15 minutes ago, lowlofted said:

I wish they would televise the events again. They are fun to watch. I know alot of people don't care for Bryson but I like that he has the cajones to compete in long drive. As a big baseball fan I compare it to the home run derby during all star week. It's a show of talent and, strength, and raw ability. Having competed in one long drive event I can say that it is not easy. Imagine hitting a fairway roughly half as wide as your normal driving distance. That is effectively what they are trying to do at 400 yards. 

Few realize how hard it is to hit that grid carrying 360+ under normal conditions.  Even harder with any side breeze, and harder yet with helping side breeze.  Ball is in the air forever.  Bryson was hitting lower shots aiming for certain portions of the grid that got the most roll it looked to me.  That is tough to do and that kept him in the hunt until the very end.  Impressive imo.

12 hours ago, iBanesto said:

The distance enthusiasm in golf has died down significantly over the last year because DeChambeau has not maintained his form on Tour (whether it's due to lack of form or injury).

If he kept on winning more titles, more emphasis/exposure would be put on "long bombs".

Come On What GIF by DraftKings

Has it though?  Matthew Fitzpatrick who was heavily critical of BDC chasing distance made it a point to add speed and distance to his game and ended up winning the US Open.  He may not have gone to the lengths Bryson did but he certainly saw value in adding distance to his game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clevited said:

Get used to it, that is the future of coverage.  It may be appalling to you, but it was laid back, genuine and fun.  More and more people are rejecting stuffy, old school whispering golf announcers.

I have no issue with the "grass roots" feel of it.  My biggest gripe with the coverage was the lack of information or results anywhere except when they post them on the YouTube feed.  Last year, they had all the names/groupings/etc available on the website and results were posted to minutes after the balls stopped flying for a given session.  Unless you tuned into the YouTube feed at the right time, you had no idea when to tune into watch your favorite player and you had no idea how they were doing.  Heck, even after the day was over, the only place I could find ANY information about who advanced was a single post on the PLDA Facebook feed -- not even the website had any information.  Maybe they couldn't pay whoever did that last year enough money?  I don't know, but it was my biggest annoyance about the coverage (especially since that information was available last year when they were operating on a shoestring budget).

The other gripes I had were mostly related to the fact that there probably just wasn't a big enough budget to improve production quality.  It's my understanding that the Golf Channel not renewing their contract and pandemic almost killed the PLDA (or whatever it was called), so I can understand that they basically had to start from scratch last year.   Having TopTracers on all four stalls this year (last year they only had it available on one stall) was certainly an improvement, but it would have been nice to have microphones in different places to actually hear the fans cheer or the competitors scream.  Back in the golf channel days, it was nice to have the overhead cameras showing where the balls ended up on the grid -- although back then I think it was just one player hitting at a time instead of the 4 players they have now.  That said, all of that adds a lot of complexity to the production -- and that all takes money. 

I'm sure I'll probably regret posting this given the sensitivities to this topic, but when LIV golf started to ramp up and Bryson was signing on with LIV, I wondered if LIV would try to also start throwing money at the PLDA for hosting long drive events in the same week/venue as a LIV golf event.  So far that hasn't happened, but I still wonder if that is in the works (especially as a way for them to compete with the planned TMRW events).

Edited by SirFuego
  • Like 1

I don't really get the appeal. I mean, of course this is an impressive physical feat, but it's one specific skill that doesn't equate to the point of golf, which is to post a score. I wouldn't watch a putting contest, bunker shot competition, iron proximity game, or the like either. I'd rather watch, you know, golf.

I'm not knocking people for enjoying it, I'm sure I enjoy stuff they think is stupid. Just personally, I don't understand.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

46 minutes ago, carrier street said:

I don't really get the appeal. I mean, of course this is an impressive physical feat, but it's one specific skill that doesn't equate to the point of golf, which is to post a score. I wouldn't watch a putting contest, bunker shot competition, iron proximity game, or the like either. I'd rather watch, you know, golf.

I'm not knocking people for enjoying it, I'm sure I enjoy stuff they think is stupid. Just personally, I don't understand.

Imo, its the most athletic part of golf.  As someone else put it, its like the MLB's homerun derby.  Most everything else in the sport of golf is hypothetically, physically achievable by the everyday Joe.  400+ yards is not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carrier street said:

The HR Derby comparison is an apt one, but you could also equate long drive to being a "field" event played with a stick.  Stuff like javelin, shot put, hammer throw, etc is something that people will watch, but probably won't go out of their way to watch or follow it outside of when its broadcast.   The same can probably said of other many other olympic sports and other niche events like World's Strongest Man.  It might entertain the average viewer for at best, a few hours, every year (or every few years).  It's a nice temporary change of pace from the typical sports/events that you watch, but it's also not compelling enough for most people to obsess over.

At the same time, in order for those events to even exist there does need to be at least a small community of people that actively participate and support that sport.  A lot of athletes in niche sports also need to keep a day job because their sport is not going to pay them enough.  So couple that with smaller crowds, and this also means that the athletes tend to be more approachable and fan interaction tends to be a lot higher than most mainstream sports.

5 hours ago, clevited said:

The announcers that I heard were bland and just as boring as those that usually inhabit the airwaves. The quality of the production and everything else looked about as good as it would if opened up my iPad and did it myself.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

36 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

The announcers that I heard were bland and just as boring as those that usually inhabit the airwaves. The quality of the production and everything else looked about as good as it would if opened up my iPad and did it myself.

You didn't listen much then.  The people doing the announcing were all participants in the actual competition.  They took turns but a couple of them more so than others were doing the commentating.  The quality of production you might not know is due to lack of sponsorship and television contract.  They essentially were doing it small potatoes style, hence why it was on Youtube.  

The commentators were participants in the tournament which to me was quite a cool dynamic.  Not all had the announcing ability you might crave but to judge them on that level is unfair.  I think the commentators did a good job and they will only get better with more practice.  They also were answering questions in the youtube chat whenever they could and the chat had several former or current long drive competitors commenting.  I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

Edited by clevited

7 hours ago, Ferguson said:

No surprise.   We're starting to see an all too common theme in ANY golf coverage. 

BAD.

I love that show's title, "Strictly Come Dancing." 

I laughed hard at that.  Strictly come dancing sounds like when your wife lays down the ground rules before the date. “ no funny business.  We’re going strictly to dinner , dancing than I’m going to sleep “.      Mind  computes for a second and says “.  Man. This is terrible news …. Worse than having a birthday near Christmas …. God take me now before we get to the restaurant “!!!  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 max 9* Ventus TR red 6x 

TM Sim2 max tour graphite design ADHD 8x 

Titleist Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist Tsi1 23* Addi 105x 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

Vokey sm7 50 , edel sms 54-c 58-v  MMT 125tx

Cameron 009 GSS 1.5.  Sound slot. , tungsten weights.  Head speed shaft.  

4 hours ago, clevited said:

Imo, its the most athletic part of golf.  As someone else put it, its like the MLB's homerun derby.  Most everything else in the sport of golf is hypothetically, physically achievable by the everyday Joe.  400+ yards is not.

I don’t know. You should watch everyday joe try to get out of a Bunker.  Blows my mind how they can’t hit a shot fat on purpose in there. But can at will in the fairway.  

• Haha 3

Ping G425 max 9* Ventus TR red 6x 

TM Sim2 max tour graphite design ADHD 8x 

Titleist Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist Tsi1 23* Addi 105x 

Titleist T100 5-pw MMT 125 TX 

Vokey sm7 50 , edel sms 54-c 58-v  MMT 125tx

Cameron 009 GSS 1.5.  Sound slot. , tungsten weights.  Head speed shaft.  

11 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Have to agree.  Commentators were rambling, data wasn't loading correctly, couldn't really tell what was going on within each group/heat.  

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9 - Ventus Black 6x 

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

4 hours ago, clevited said:

This is a strong argument for the event.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T

8 minutes ago, soberD said:

Are there any other sports where people are making a living being good at only one aspect?  Like home runs, dunks, slap shots

I'm pretty sure there was (semi?) professional putt-putt at some point too.  I wonder if those guys could bomb it? 

I'm glad these guys can do it but I'm not going to watch.  

Hardest shot at the NHL All Star Game skills competition is an even better comparison than homerun derby.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T