Jump to content

Professional Long Drive Competition 2022


kelpie
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I laughed hard at that.  Strictly come dancing sounds like when your wife lays down the ground rules before the date. “ no funny business.  We’re going strictly to dinner , dancing than I’m going to sleep “.      Mind  computes for a second and says “.  Man. This is terrible news …. Worse than having a birthday near Christmas …. God take me now before we get to the restaurant “!!!  😂

 

"We're doing things STRICTLY or not at all - YOU GOT THAT!?!" 

 

image.png.6b6c33fda83270e4312c0c1c42e94e3b.png

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

What they should do is take all limits off the tech for the drivers and balls

 

Be like F1, a space race by for the OEMs to make drivers and balls go 350 mph Ball Speed and 1000 yards carry!

 

Then, you gotta park some old junker cars down in the landing area, they be wired to explode if somebody hit one!

 

Ratings bonanza 🤣

 

Setting the business of R&D aside for a moment, this is a brilliant idea. Make them have to use an abandoned airfield to contain the shots. Show what you can do with zero tech restrictions. 

 

And I like the explosion idea as well. Except I want more. These things are SCREAMING for pyro.

  • Haha 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether or not you liked the broadcast itself, I think being able to tune in here and there easily on YouTube rather than on TV is huge.  

 

The live chat also adds a nice element to it as more of a grass roots event. You get some interaction with the broadcasters and competitors at times that would not be nearly as accessible otherwise. 

 

Congrats to Martin and Bryson.  It was great to watch them duel it out in the final.  A really dramatic lead-up to the final as well as it was Bryson's last ball that ended up overtaking Justin James.  It looked like Martin was struggling with accuracy to start the week and relying on one ball per set to win.  But, he got it dialled in right on time.

 

Also, hope Ryan Winther is doing ok after a scary looking rib injury.

  • Like 4

Full Bag / Half set                                                         

D - Ping G400 Max                                                     

2W - Taylormade 300 Mini Driver 

FW - Callaway V Series Heavenwood                            

Utilities - Callaway Apex UW 19, G425 4H               

5i-PW / 6i, 9i - Ping Zing 2                                        

SW - Ping Zing 2 BeCu SW2                                     

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60                                        

P - Pixl T1.8 or Wilson 8802                                        
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Titleist Premium Carry        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

 

"We're doing things STRICTLY or not at all - YOU GOT THAT!?!" 

 

image.png.6b6c33fda83270e4312c0c1c42e94e3b.png

 

Exactly.  I  knew you’d get me.  What she doesn’t know is , threatening  that with dancing is like music to my ears.  “ don’t temp me with a good time “ i always say. Strictly dancing or not at all “ you say ?   Ha!  I see you strictly and raise you a binge watching session of Yellowstone instead !! 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic speed 9* tensie white 70 Tx 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

TM sim max 19* Hazrdus  smoke green 6.5

Callaway x forged cb 21 4-pw Mmt125tx 

Edel sms 54C 58V -new level 62 Mmt125tx 

Cameron 009 GSS 1.5.  Sound slot. , tungsten weights.  Head speed shaft.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

What they should do is take all limits off the tech for the drivers and balls

 

Be like F1, a space race by for the OEMs to make drivers and balls go 350 mph Ball Speed and 1000 yards carry!

 

Then, you gotta park some old junker cars down in the landing area, they be wired to explode if somebody hit one!

 

Ratings bonanza 🤣

I really like that idea. Harvest the tech innovation from the long drives and bust open a new segment of clubs for those that don’t care about conforming clubs!  

  • Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9 - Ventus Black 6x 

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like them having to adhere to the club/ball limits. It makes it realistic to real golf for me. Again in a home run derby they don't use hot metal bats from years ago. I do think long drive has practical applications to actual golf as well. If you chose to gain speed and and forge a "long drive" version of yourself your proximity to the hole could improve thus lowering scores. Now I can be the first to attest that hitting a driver 350+ yards on the course can actually hurt you more than help sometimes but the speed and length translates to the rest of your bag... Hitting a 3 wood longer or 2 iron longer than most people's driver with more control is often a better play. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lowlofted said:

I like them having to adhere to the club/ball limits. It makes it realistic to real golf for me. Again in a home run derby they don't use hot metal bats from years ago. I do think long drive has practical applications to actual golf as well. If you chose to gain speed and and forge a "long drive" version of yourself your proximity to the hole could improve thus lowering scores. Now I can be the first to attest that hitting a driver 350+ yards on the course can actually hurt you more than help sometimes but the speed and length translates to the rest of your bag... Hitting a 3 wood longer or 2 iron longer than most people's driver with more control is often a better play. 


 

Baseball players in a HR derby in 2022 can pick up the exact same bat that Mickey Mantle used here in the 1950s and never miss a beat. Same ball too. 70 years ago the ball was the same as it is now. Cork center with wool yarn wrapped around it and cowhide wrap. 

 


Now, let’s give the current  LD Golf guys the same driver and ball that Sam Snead used and see how far they hit it ; )

 

 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dicka said:

Is this competition subject to the WADA code?

Dunno, but cost is always a consideration, individual testing is likely several hundred dollars per person and even to apply for WADA accreditation is apparently 20,000 dollars according to their website.

 

It's noticeable that the competitors have got bigger yes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Dunno, but cost is always a consideration, individual testing is likely several hundred dollars per person and even to apply for WADA accreditation is apparently 20,000 dollars according to their website.

 

It's noticeable that the competitors have got bigger yes. 

As far as I can tell they are not under wada. I’m not a big Bryson fan but there is a good chance he might have been the only one that wasn’t on gear in the top 32. 
 

I talked to one of last year pro competitors who finished inside the top 32. According to him it just a grueling week without a lot to win. Apparently it was $1500 to enter and $25,000 to win. At this point without major sponsors, it essentially like winning the club you belong to Club Championship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Baseball players in a HR derby in 2022 can pick up the exact same bat that Mickey Mantle used here in the 1950s and never miss a beat. Same ball too. 70 years ago the ball was the same as it is now. Cork center with wool yarn wrapped around it and cowhide wrap. 

 


Now, let’s give the current  LD Golf guys the same driver and ball that Sam Snead used and see how far they hit it ; )

 

 

Not the same comparison. Baseball just hasn't changed to allow for higher cor bats etc.... Although the ball does change somewhat periodically. Look up 2019 MLB balls. Golf has continued to allow the evolution of and progression of technology in which you can't fault the players. The long drive guys are using equipment allowed by the sanctioning organizations. Though it would be cool to see them use older equipment for one event. Though they would still hit if farther than 95% of amateurs so it would make people feel worse lol.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, lowlofted said:

Not the same comparison. Baseball just hasn't changed to allow for higher cor bats etc.... Although the ball does change somewhat periodically. Look up 2019 MLB balls. Golf has continued to allow the evolution of and progression of technology in which you can't fault the players. The long drive guys are using equipment allowed by the sanctioning organizations. Though it would be cool to see them use older equipment for one event. Though they would still hit if farther than 95% of amateurs so it would make people feel worse lol.

 


 

I agree the LD guys are just playing according to the rules, they work very hard, and the combo of technology and tech and training is very cool.

 

But id love to see a competition with a persimmon/balata set up.
 

I think they had DJ hit a persimmon driver but a modern ball and he hit it 290. Not sure if that’s carry or total, probably total. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

I agree the LD guys are just playing according to the rules, they work very hard, and the combo of technology and tech and training is very cool.

 

But id love to see a competition with a persimmon/balata set up.
 

I think they had DJ hit a persimmon driver but a modern ball and he hit it 290. Not sure if that’s carry or total, probably total. 

Flying a persimmon 290 in the air in any era with any golf ball is a BIG hit.  I'm sure he could do it, and there is no doubt the LD guys could, but it would take some precision to hit up and max out launch on that small of a sweet spot.

 

When I have mine out and I'm swinging well, I can go up to the same tee height I do on a modern driver and really launch them, but I am just as likely to hit a fly ball into the stands behind the third base dugout. That is an embarrassing outcome if anyone happens to be watching. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Flying a persimmon 290 in the air in any era with any golf ball is a BIG hit.  I'm sure he could do it, and there is no doubt the LD guys could, but it would take some precision to hit up and max out launch on that small of a sweet spot.

 

When I have mine out and I'm swinging well, I can go up to the same tee height I do on a modern driver and really launch them, but I am just as likely to hit a fly ball into the stands behind the third base dugout. That is an embarrassing outcome if anyone happens to be watching. 


 

Ya but 290 may have been with roll. 
 

Heres LD guys with persimmon and I think a modern ball. Nearly all the drives are 260-290 total with roll out. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Ya but 290 may have been with roll. 
 

Heres LD guys with persimmon and I think a modern ball. Nearly all the drives are 260-290 total with roll out. 
 

 

Hearing the crack of the wooden bat never gets old. Thanks for sharing that. One guy popped one 325 total. Looked like they were into the wind and dressed pretty warmly. 

 

I'm confident if you gave them a reason to practice with that gear (like it could make them money) you'd see them on the grid hitting it 350+ off the high tee. And like you said, it would be entertaining to watch 🙂

 

You also said balata, that would be especially entertaining. Actually, I would just like to see some niche ball maker return a wound balata type golf ball to the market. Something for those of us who enjoy a time machine round now and again. I'd buy them.  

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In around 2003 Clayton Burger won the Remax Long Drive Championship. He used to practice at a driving range I used to go to in Houston on I45 south of 1960. 

 

One of the local tv channels I think it was KPRC channel 2 sent a van out with a camera man and a lady interviewer to interview Clayton. While they were setting up Clayton was hitting balls warming up and a friend of mine was hitting balls with him. 

 

My friend was outdriving Clayton who said his back was hurting which it probably was.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Ya but 290 may have been with roll. 
 

Heres LD guys with persimmon and I think a modern ball. Nearly all the drives are 260-290 total with roll out. 
 

 

 

There are problems with that video people often overlook.

 

1) It was cold out

2) It was windy and the wind was in their face

3) It didn't look like any of them got to practice or get used to those drivers

4) Those guys would need rebar shafts and 3 degree lofts on those to get the most out of them.  In other words, they would each need to be fitted as well as possible with the old tech to get the most out of them (keeping in mind top pros back in the day effectively got fit by judging ball flight by eye and telling OEMs what to change, or they changed it themselves etc).  

 

Fun to watch but too many point at it and say AHAH! Look how bad those guys suck!  Look how untalented and incapable they are!  In reality, those people are just uniformed.

  • Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Hearing the crack of the wooden bat never gets old. Thanks for sharing that. One guy popped one 325 total. Looked like they were into the wind and dressed pretty warmly. 

 

I'm confident if you gave them a reason to practice with that gear (like it could make them money) you'd see them on the grid hitting it 350+ off the high tee. And like you said, it would be entertaining to watch 🙂

 

You also said balata, that would be especially entertaining. Actually, I would just like to see some niche ball maker return a wound balata type golf ball to the market. Something for those of us who enjoy a time machine round now and again. I'd buy them.  

 

I couldn't find the video but I know I have seen one of Kyle Berkshire hitting a persimmon (screws and all) first swing, draw around a dogleg left.  Finished in the fairway and was something like 350 yards.  I don't think it was wind assisted or anything.  I will see if I can find it again and post if I do.  Was pretty cool to see and evident of what you can get out of them.

 

Edit: Found it.

 

Edited by clevited
  • Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, clevited said:

 

I couldn't find the video but I know I have seen one of Kyle Berkshire hitting a persimmon (screws and all) first swing, draw around a dogleg left.  Finished in the fairway and was something like 350 yards.  I don't think it was wind assisted or anything.  I will see if I can find it again and post if I do.  Was pretty cool to see and evident of what you can get out of them.

 

Edit: Found it.

 

Kyle Berkshire is a very impressive athlete. I'm pretty sure I've read he trains the Olympic lifts. I hope he posts video of that someday. I'd imagine he can move some weight around.

 

Kyle always makes me think of Clarence Kennedy. I like to think Clarence would do similar things if he dedicated himself to swinging a golf club as fast as possible.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, jordan2240 said:

I hadn't realized the long drive contests were not being televised any longer.  

The World Long Drive series was last televised in 2019. At the beginning of 2020 the WLD was put up for sale by Comcast/NBC/GC. It was not purchased by anybody. 

 

https://golf.com/news/world-long-drive-for-sale-golf-channel/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, grm24 said:

The World Long Drive series was last televised in 2019. At the beginning of 2020 the WLD was put up for sale by Comcast/NBC/GC. It was not purchased by anybody. 

 

https://golf.com/news/world-long-drive-for-sale-golf-channel/

Thanks.  Guess I didn't even realize I was missing it.  Of course, my wife will often point out things in the area that have changed (like a grove of trees being chopped down), and I won't notice there is a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jordan2240 said:

Thanks.  Guess I didn't even realize I was missing it.  Of course, my wife will often point out things in the area that have changed (like a grove of trees being chopped down), and I won't notice there is a difference.

 

 

Often times you will see a yard where the grass is long and not being cut.  It's usually an indication that someone of the household is either ill or the lawn mower is broken.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, kelpie said:

DIdn't see a thread for this. Pretty impressive for Bryson to make it to the final of the PLDA Long Drive World Championship and lost to his buddy Martin Borgmeier yesterday. You have to hand it to him, that’s an impressive display for a guy who does long drive as a hobby! Can't understand why Golf Channel stopped covering this, was a fun event to watch on YouTube.

I wouldn't say it's a hobby for Bryson (he trains for long drive every day for hours) but I do admit that it's crazy impressive. I wish he was still playing in tournaments that matter. He was fun to watch. 

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reforming/relapsing club addict.

PXG 0811X 7.5 Gen 4 Tensei AV Raw White 65X

Cobra LTDx LS 3 & 5 Wood Tensei AV Raw White 75 X

Arias D-23 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100

Haywood Signature 50, 56; Vokey SM8 62; DG X100

Srixon Z Star XV

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am - Discussion and Links to all photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Lanto Griffin - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Charles Kelley WITB (country singer from Lady A band) – 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Ben Silverman - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Jonas Blixt - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Fabian Gomez - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from Fresh Prince of BelAir) - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Seung Yul Noh - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Beau Hossler - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Danny Willett - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      JB Holmes - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Kevin Kisner - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Kira Dixon - Golf Channel reporter - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Michael Pena, actor - WITB - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Kyle Westmoreland - custom Hzrdus driver and fairwood shafts - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Cameron putters - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      TaylorMade Max putters - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      LA Golf Malibu X putter - 2023 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Pebble Beach 18th Hole walking tour (and inside "The Lodge") – 2023 AT&T Pebble Pro-Am
       
       
       
       
        • Haha
      • 9 replies
    • 2023 Farmers Insurance Open - Discussion and Links to all photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2023 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2023 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2023 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
      Michael Herrera - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
      Michael Block - SoCal PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
      Carl Yuan - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
      Joey Vrzich - WITB - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2023 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 6 replies
    • 2023 The American Express - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comment here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 The American Express - Monday #1
      2023 The American Express - Monday #2
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Justin Lower - WITB - 2023 The American Express
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2023 The American Express
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2023 The American Express
      Caleb Surratt - WITB - 2023 The American Express
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2023 The American Express
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      New Cameron putter - 2023 The American Express
      Cameron putters - - 2023 The American Express
      New Bettinardi prototype putters - 2023 The American Express
      New L.A.B. Golf LINK.1 putter - 2023 The American Express
      New Evnroll putters - 2023 The American Express
      Jimmy Walker testing the Axis prototype putter - 2023 The American Express
      Cameron CT Baller Boy covers - 2023 The American Express
      Richy Werenski's Cameron Timeless putter - 2023 The American Express
      Graphite Design - CQ 6 & CQ 7 shafts - 2023 The American Express
      Titleist TRS hybrids - 2023 The American Express
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 11 replies
    • In-hand photos of 2023 TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus, Stealth 2, Stealth 2 HD drivers + fairways woods
      Check out our front page launch stories here and here. 
       
      What you need to know: For the first time, carbon is the most prevalent material by volume in a TaylorMade driver, and more carbon equals better performance, says the company. Last year, TaylorMade debuted a 60X Carbon Twist Face. With TaylorMade Stealth 2, engineers are bringing carbon to more of the golf club — and unveiling a new-and-improved Carbon Twist Face in the process. Stealth 2 Plus (low spin, most workable) Stealth 2, and Stealth 2 HD (draw bias, high launch, most forgiving) drivers make up the Stealth 2 family.
       
      Stealth 2 


       
      Stealth 2 Plus


       
      Stealth 2 HD



       
      What you need to know: Breakthrough movable weight technologies and versatile designs are the hallmarks of the 2023 TaylorMade Stealth 2 fairway woods. Stealth 2 Plus is branded as “three fairway woods in one” owing to the unique performance characteristics afforded by the 50-gram sole weight. Stealth 2 features a slightly lower profile 3D carbon crown than Stealth. This moves CG down and away from the toe with more weight in the rear of the club for higher launch and MOI. Ultra-high MOI Stealth 2 HD features an oversized 200cc head and low-profile sole, creating an easy-to-hit, draw-biased club.
       
      Stealth 2 fairway


       
      Stealth 2 Plus fairway


       
       


       
        • Like
      • 47 replies
    • 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions - Discussion
      Please put any equipment questions or comments here
       
      More albums will be added tomorrow
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions at Kapalua – Tues. Pt. 1
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Jon Rahm mini WITB (w/ new Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond driver and fairway woods) – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Ryan Brehm WITB – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      SuperStroke Limited Edition Hawaii Collection covers and grips – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Collin Morikawa's new TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus driver and 3 wood – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Xander Schauffele's new Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond driver – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Xander Schauffele's Odyssey Toulon "XS Proto" mallet putter – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      New Odyssey White Hot Versa and Tri-Hot 5K putters – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Sungjae Im's Scotty Cameron Tourtype F-5 proto putter (with new SuperStroke Zenergy 1.0 PT grip) – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
      Scottie Scheffler's new TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus driver and Stealth 2 fairway wood – 2023 Sentry Tournament of Champions
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 83 replies

×
×
  • Create New...